• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Can someone please explain to me how does Iai Quickdraw III works? The description says that a successful ki pulse puts you into quickdraw stance but I can't get it to work for some reason, am I missing something?

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone please explain to me how does Iai Quickdraw III works? The description says that a successful ki pulse puts you into quickdraw stance but I can't get it to work for some reason, am I missing something?
You still have to hit the sheathe button as well, starting the draw move as usual. If you're coming out of a successful Ki Pulse into the draw, the initial sheathing animation is sped up greatly, putting you into the charging phase far faster than normal. The difference is very noticeable.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
You still have to hit the sheathe button as well, starting the draw move as usual. If you're coming out of a successful Ki Pulse into the draw, the initial sheathing animation is sped up greatly, putting you into the charging phase far faster than normal. The difference is very noticeable.
Ah, I see, I thought the sheathing animation was skipped when done correctly, I didn't really paid attention if it was faster than the normal quickdraw. Thanks.

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Dipped back into this at the weekend and made some more progress on Bloodshed's End. Managed to defeat SY in about three attempts. Loved that they
added an additional ninja at the end of the boss fights ha ha
. Classic Nioh and I didn't bat an eye-lid being so used to that kind of sadism with this game. Made a vid of it:

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still working on the first mission (not the tutorial) and man I am all about finding Kodama lmao they're wonderful!

kodama_patrol_by_inkyh-db0cuzh.png

Oct 27, 2017
So I've bought a Book of Reincarnation to respec my character twice now and I've gone into the storehouse from the map menu to use it, but it's not showing there. Anyone have any ideas?! I'm looking under All Items and there's nothing in there called Book of Reincarnation nor anything with a book icon.

Edit - never mind. I see now that I had to use the touchpad to go into my current items, not to the storehouse.

Last edited:

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every NPC in this game keeps giving me their weapons. Guys, I ain't got room for all ya swords.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Check on Ebay. Usually runs from 35-40 shipped
Thanks friend! :) I was actually just looking this up.. are Asian versions to the only ones available? I realize they have English options on them but I also just realized that the Asian versions are censored. =\

Last edited:

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks friend! :) I was actually just looking this up.. are Asian versions to the only ones available? I realize they have English options on them but I also just realized that the Asian versions are censored. =\
It is the only one.

Edit: i think Japan has it too and that it auto picks the language your PS4 is set in.

Last edited:

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
I started playing this a while ago, got stuck on Hino-Enma and dropped it. Started over today and actually managed to beat her, archer armor was MVP with the paralysis resistance.

Going from barely able to land a hit on her, to repeatedly stuning her for big damage was very rewarding. I was actually surprised by how fast I killed her in the end.

That said, the difficulty of these early game bosses is absolutely nuts compared to the levels leading up to them, but the combat got me hooked. Much as I love Souls, it just can not compete with the mad glee of decapitating a bandit with an Iai quickdraw.

Also, after using the relatively weak bows of the Souls series so long, it's nice to have a longbow so fucking POWERFUL.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions for some new builds to try out? I'm in the process of getting the gear needed for a barehanded build (been playing off and on for nigh on 4 months trying to get everything for it) but I'm thinking it probably won't be usable in the abyss. What sort of builds are good for abyss levels past 100 nowadays? I know they nerfed a lot of the old ones.

How viable is a throwing hayabusa build with shuriken and thrown weapon damage stacked? I remember for a while storm Kunai was super OP but I remember reading they nerfed it pretty hard.

An onmyo focused build might be fun too. What sort of onmyo builds are viable in the abysss?

Basically I'm just looking for builds that offer some in new ways to play. Trying to mix it up.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Man, jumping into the DLC right after completing the main quest was a huge mistake lol, the difficulty spike is nuts! I made it to the first boss but he was taking 90% of my hp with single hit.

I think I'll be back once I gain a few more levels and get better gear..

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Man, jumping into the DLC right after completing the main quest was a huge mistake lol, the difficulty spike is nuts! I made it to the first boss but he was taking 90% of my hp with single hit.

I think I'll be back once I gain a few more levels and get better gear..

Those first expansion bosses are properly brutal. I played a bit of the next difficulty before taking on the new areas.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Just got back into this after buying it on PC. Currently using a sword build but don't understand why Iai quickdraw is the skill everyone is using? It's not easy to spam. I guess I'm used to using Kura and blade spinning everything on PS4. Or are people depleting ki and getting around enemies to Iai?

Also I know blade spin was nerfed so whats the meta Kura build/move to use now?

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Is there an specific enemy or mission that drops fabled umbracite? Or am not able to get those until higher difficulties? I'm In way of the strong and I've gotten a bunch of regular and several quality but not a single fabled.

I could save so much resources if I had a few of those..

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back into this after buying it on PC. Currently using a sword build but don't understand why Iai quickdraw is the skill everyone is using? It's not easy to spam. I guess I'm used to using Kura and blade spinning everything on PS4. Or are people depleting ki and getting around enemies to Iai?
For one, learning to use Iai Draw III makes it much more spammable. The damage output is really great, especially if you work your gear a bit to get extra skill damage for the draw. With proper timing, you can also chain certain human enemies into a cycle of fainting to the ground using the Iai Draw. It just isn't the silly all-in-one OP murder solution that was the pre-nerf Blade Spin. Using a sword, you're also getting access to Tempest -> Backwave, which has great synergy with the draw.
Is there an specific enemy or mission that drops fabled umbracite? Or am not able to get those until higher difficulties? I'm In way of the strong and I've gotten a bunch of regular and several quality but not a single fabled.

I could save so much resources if I had a few of those..
No, there are no specific enemies for that. The higher you go in the difficulties, the better the umbracites. No real way around that.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Beat WOTN, at level 28 of the Abyss against Mitsunari - losing motivation to continue the game.

If 28 is already this bad I don't really wanna imagine how much worse it gets.

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Beat WOTN, at level 28 of the Abyss against Mitsunari - losing motivation to continue the game.
I'm on the honorable samurai Tachibana *sics dog on u* Muneshige just before that level and can't be arsed. Enemy damage and speed is way too overtuned, particularly on higher difficulties, the permanent enemy buffs are annoying, and it just feels like you're not allowed to have a fair fun fight, like you might have in the endgame of a souls game.

Like I fought Masamune and Hayabusa on Nioh difficulty but actually confronting them headon is instant death so I wound up running around a lot and poking them during their longest cooldowns (or swatting down Jin when he flips in the air like a goober) and most every enemy in the game doesn't really have an answer to that. Hopefully Nioh 2 is a more consistent experience.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly I got sick of how cheesey everything got after finishing WOTD and just made a LW build and strong attacked by way through WOTN. I did spend a considerable amount of time with this game but honestly I'm a bit mixed on how I feel about it. WOTSamurai to WOTD is a fun experience, although bogged down by how repetitive the design is in the game, but playing fair on anything higher felt masochistic.

The fundamental combat mechanics are fantastic, but I find the enemy design bland outside of a few bosses and the latter difficulties dissuade the player from really using anything but cheesy tactics since everything one-shots you with a graze. It becomes much more of a gear-based loot game and it conflicts with the skill-based game that it was trying to be in lower difficulties.

Outside of the fundamental combat mechanics and the refashioning tool, I think Souls does everything better.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I got sick of how cheesey everything got after finishing WOTD and just made a LW build and strong attacked by way through WOTN. I did spend a considerable amount of time with this game but honestly I'm a bit mixed on how I feel about it. WOTSamurai to WOTD is a fun experience, although bogged down by how repetitive the design is in the game, but playing fair on anything higher felt masochistic.

The fundamental combat mechanics are fantastic, but I find the enemy design bland outside of a few bosses and the latter difficulties dissuade the player from really using anything but cheesy tactics since everything one-shots you with a graze. It becomes much more of a gear-based loot game and it conflicts with the skill-based game that it was trying to be in lower difficulties.

Outside of the fundamental combat mechanics and the refashioning tool, I think Souls does everything better.

But it has always been a loot/gear game since day one (even though many people don't want it to be). I don't see how that's a conflict with skill-based gameplay. That's actually one of the things I prefer about it to Souls. I like being able to constantly tweak, customise and upgrade my gear.

In Bloodborne the gear is probably the most boring of any RPG I've played. All the armours (or clothes I guess) are pretty much the same stat-wise with only very slight variation (usual just in resistances). I don't think I ever got anything that felt like big upgrade. It was pretty underwhelming on that front. Demon's was a long time ago but I don't remember the gear system there setting the world on fire. Certainly there was not the level of customisation you find in Nioh with re-rolling, transferring bufs, set bonuses etc.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Nioh on higher difficulties is a loot game 100%.

If you want skill game try playing Nioh on lvl 1. The whole game, all difficulties, even 999 abyss has been beaten at lvl 1 so you can try it too.

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Todo clan bonus Attack (Heavy Armor) 2.0% bugged?

The description says "Cumulatively increases damage dealt by close combat attacks for having more pieces of heavy armor equipped."

I would infer from this that I get a 2.0% close combat attack boost for each piece of heavy armor worn.

Right now I am using Armor of the Exceptional in all armor slots (a full heavy set) and the status screen lists Attack (Heavy Armor) +2.0% (not +10.0% for 5 pieces?) and my listed damage for my primary weapon is 1398. If I unequip all of my armor, this drops to 1379 (19 lost from unequipping arm slot armor), seemingly unaffected by the number of equipped heavy armor pieces. Is this effect not reflected on the status screen or is it broken?

Edit: I tried to test out my damage on the first enemy in Isle of Demons, took off all items except my primary weapon (also removed guardian spirits), damage was 2259 with a mid stance quick attack. Put on some heavy boots with no attack modifiers, same attack against same enemy (respawned after praying at shrine) was 2214 (LOWER!?). I don't have any change to attack (agility) or (equipment weight) or anything else...

Edit 2: Switched weapon to basic white Uchigatana with no damage bonuses. Again, no armor except boots, first mid stance quick attack hit against the first enemy in Isle of Demons: 349 with heavy boots, 354 with light boots, 356 with no boots. Am I missing something basic about this game? Is there an innate equipment lightness damage boost? Am I going crazy?

Edit 3: Used a Book of Reincarnation to reset weapon skill trees and Koan Manual to reset prestige bonuses. Leveled back to 190 (5/20/91/76/5/6/9/20) for innate damage scaling bonuses. No skill points spent on anything. Special effects listed in status menu with nothing equipped:
Change to Life (Stamina) D-
Attack (Heavy Armor) +2.0%
These are the clan bonuses, so nothing else could be affecting the damage. Basic white Uchi with Ki Recovery (Haze) 17 equipped to main hand. Mid stance quick attack on first enemy in Isle of Demons:
No Armor: 249
Full Heavy set: 221
Full Light set: 238
Neither armor set has any bonuses which affect damage.

Edit 4 (posted below and here for completeness): I did some more searching this morning and it seems like there is an innate equipment lightness damage bonus. Someone else posted their findings to reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/7dei3c/reducing_weight_increases_damage_new_undocumented/
From their numbers it seems like you lose about 20% of your damage when weight goes over 20 units compared to 0 weight. For my numbers, that would mean the heavy set should do about 200 but since it does 220, it seems like the 2.0% damage boost per piece of heavy armor does work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Todo clan bonus Attack (Heavy Armor) 2.0% bugged?

The description says "Cumulatively increases damage dealt by close combat attacks for having more pieces of heavy armor equipped."

I would infer from this that I get a 2.0% close combat attack boost for each piece of heavy armor worn.

Right now I am using Armor of the Exceptional in all armor slots (a full heavy set) and the status screen lists Attack (Heavy Armor) +2.0% (not +10.0% for 5 pieces?) and my listed damage for my primary weapon is 1398. If I unequip all of my armor, this drops to 1379 (19 lost from unequipping arm slot armor), seemingly unaffected by the number of equipped heavy armor pieces. Is this effect not reflected on the status screen or is it broken?

Edit: I tried to test out my damage on the first enemy in Isle of Demons, took off all items except my primary weapon (also removed guardian spirits), damage was 2259 with a mid stance quick attack. Put on some heavy boots with no attack modifiers, same attack against same enemy (respawned after praying at shrine) was 2214 (LOWER!?). I don't have any change to attack (agility) or (equipment weight) or anything else...

Edit 2: Switched weapon to basic white Uchigatana with no damage bonuses. Again, no armor except boots, first mid stance quick attack hit against the first enemy in Isle of Demons: 349 with heavy boots, 354 with light boots, 356 with no boots. Am I missing something basic about this game? Is there an innate equipment lightness damage boost? Am I going crazy?

Edit 3: Used a Book of Reincarnation to reset weapon skill trees and Koan Manual to reset prestige bonuses. Leveled back to 190 (5/20/91/76/5/6/9/20) for innate damage scaling bonuses. No skill points spent on anything. Special effects listed in status menu with nothing equipped:
Change to Life (Stamina) D-
Attack (Heavy Armor) +2.0%
These are the clan bonuses, so nothing else could be affecting the damage. Basic white Uchi with Ki Recovery (Haze) 17 equipped to main hand. Mid stance quick attack on first enemy in Isle of Demons:
No Armor: 249
Full Heavy set: 221
Full Light set: 238
Neither armor set has any bonuses which affect damage.

Todo clan was abused heavily and nerfed severely as a result. I am not sure if there is a bug or what.

Oct 27, 2017
Todo clan was abused heavily and nerfed severely as a result. I am not sure if there is a bug or what.
I did some more searching this morning and it seems like there is an innate equipment lightness damage bonus. Someone else posted their findings to reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/7dei3c/reducing_weight_increases_damage_new_undocumented/
From their numbers it seems like you lose about 20% of your damage when weight goes over 20 units compared to 0 weight. For my numbers, that would mean the heavy set should do about 200 but since it does 220, it seems like the 2.0% damage boost per piece of heavy armor does work.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick question -

When you pray at a shrine and the enemies respawn, do they get stronger or are the same as the first time? Thanks.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the DLC after having finished the main game a few months back. The first boss of the first DLC is insanely difficult, I guess I'll have to not get hit if I want to beat him because his damage output is crazy. The tonfa and the odachi are really fun to play with though.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I started playing a couple of days ago. Absolutely love this game but this fucking Tachibana Muneshige fight is bullshit to the extreme.
He doesn't fight, he just spams fucking 1 shot moves one after another. I was so close to killing him a couple of times and he pulls out his bullshit.

The most infuriating part is he does 1 shot finishers when he's clearly out of Ki. I don't know how to get out of this fight, do I need to load a save?

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
You can quit a mission with the himorogi branch (or himorogi fragment if you don't mind losing the amrita) also try using that rock on the left side of the map to block his atttacks, thats how I was able to beat him.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing a couple of days ago. Absolutely love this game but this fucking Tachibana Muneshige fight is bullshit to the extreme.
He doesn't fight, he just spams fucking 1 shot moves one after another. I was so close to killing him a couple of times and he pulls out his bullshit.

The most infuriating part is he does 1 shot finishers when he's clearly out of Ki. I don't know how to get out of this fight, do I need to load a save?

The mission is much easier if you come back later after you have leveled up a bit.

Keep in mind it is very important to learn how to block in Nioh. There are a lot of fast bosses, and you have to study their moves and learn when to block and when to back up and when you can punish.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
You can quit a mission with the himorogi branch (or himorogi fragment if you don't mind losing the amrita) also try using that rock on the left side of the map to block his atttacks, thats how I was able to beat him.

The mission is much easier if you come back later after you have leveled up a bit.

Keep in mind it is very important to learn how to block in Nioh. There are a lot of fast bosses, and you have to study their moves and learn when to block and when to back up and when you can punish.

Thanks for the help.
I finished all the missions in the region (except for the Twilight ones, they're still locked) and went back at it and got him after a few tries.
The rock trick didn't work for me because I was having trouble actually landing hits on him even if I used it to not to get. I stuck to my way of dodging his attacks until he's out of Ki and doing a special attack when his guard is broken and managed to kill him eventually.

Do you have any tips for stat distribution? I'm using the Kusarigama as my weapon.
I'm at 20 DEX which is useful for both my weapon and Ninjustu, and got my Magic and Spirit to 11 and threw in a couple of points for other stats.
Is it viable to invest in Ninjustu as well as Onmyo? I mostly found Onmyo useful, but I also thought about experimenting with another weapon, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough points for everything.
Also, I gotta remember to use my Guardian. I don't think I've used it once.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Started this on PC this week. I'm getting through it but not quite loving it. Its getting better imo though. I'm not digging how the move list is expanding though as I level up and do missions. What I mean by that is I feel a few of the unique unlock moves should have been available from the start to make the combat a bit more juicy from the start. I was thinking of dropping this cause the combat felt weak in the opening but man... its getting guuud.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Do you have any tips for stat distribution? I'm using the Kusarigama as my weapon.
I'm at 20 DEX which is useful for both my weapon and Ninjustu, and got my Magic and Spirit to 11 and threw in a couple of points for other stats.
Is it viable to invest in Ninjustu as well as Onmyo? I mostly found Onmyo useful, but I also thought about experimenting with another weapon, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough points for everything.
Also, I gotta remember to use my Guardian. I don't think I've used it once.

No reason why you couldn't do Onmyo and Ninjitsu. They both have useful very skills.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
No reason why you couldn't do Onmyo and Ninjitsu. They both have useful very skills.
I got Onmyo to about 20 and 30 for Ninjitsu (because I was using the Kusarigama anyway) and they're still really useful.
Kusarigama was my first weapon and I didn't think I'd switch, but Dual Blades is fucking awesome.

I'm at the second main mission of the final region now and I think I may need a break from this game for a couple of days. I liked it so much I kept playing it and now I'm kind of sick of it lol

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Every build should have 30 Onmyo and 30 Dex IMO. The utility you get from magic/ninjutsu is too good to pass.

If I were to start a new game from scratch, I would likely just l evel the other stats toget enough Samurai points for the skills I want and armor requirements and then use the rest to get 30 Onmyo and 30 Dex asap.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I got Onmyo to about 20 and 30 for Ninjitsu (because I was using the Kusarigama anyway) and they're still really useful.
Kusarigama was my first weapon and I didn't think I'd switch, but Dual Blades is fucking awesome.

I'm at the second main mission of the final region now and I think I may need a break from this game for a couple of days. I liked it so much I kept playing it and now I'm kind of sick of it lol

Personally, I didn't have high onmyo because every RPG I play mage so for this game I made a point not to use it. Even then I till use a few techniques from it. I specialise mainly in Ninjutsu along with melee and it's great. Both are really strong.

You can use both so why switch?

Oct 26, 2017
Doin an Odachi level 1 run, cause my hype for Sekiro is through the roof and I need a way to channel it. Gameplay with the weapon so far has been alot less flashy, and i could really use flux 2.....but making such a high stamina cost weapon work is pretty fun. I adore the heavy-heavy, high stance combo, especially after a flip. So much its encouraging me to play sub optimally just to do it more often. Deffo having fun with it as some who loves the balance between flashyness and purpose in this games combat.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Doin an Odachi level 1 run, cause my hype for Sekiro is through the roof and I need a way to channel it. Gameplay with the weapon so far has been alot less flashy, and i could really use flux 2.....but making such a high stamina cost weapon work is pretty fun. I adore the heavy-heavy, high stance combo, especially after a flip. So much its encouraging me to play sub optimally just to do it more often. Deffo having fun with it as some who loves the balance between flashyness and purpose in this games combat.

Outstanding play. Bravo!

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Where's a good place to farm Amrita for when you're around lvl 140? I'm trying to do the DLC missions now (just beat Maria), but I feel like I'm struggling a bit as I'm constantly having to rely on other players to help me through levels.

Also, I think I spread my stats a bit too far out. My highest stat is Heart, which is at 40. I'm taking a break from that to level up my Dex and Magic.

Oct 26, 2017
Did regions 2 and 3 last night. Not sure how sold I am on Odachi. The weapon feels really good to use, until i actually sit back at look at the numbers. It uses so much for KI, for such little damage. But ultimately I guess feelin good is whats most important.

White tiger is a real treat with this weapon though, somersault heavy attacks all day. Since the idea of this run was to channel my Sekiro hype, I might try adding the axe as a secondary weapon. But I am enjoying figuring out how to deal with stuff with this huge sword.

Where's a good place to farm Amrita for when you're around lvl 140? I'm trying to do the DLC missions now (just beat Maria), but I feel like I'm struggling a bit as I'm constantly having to rely on other players to help me through levels.

Also, I think I spread my stats a bit too far out. My highest stat is Heart, which is at 40. I'm taking a break from that to level up my Dex and Magic.

Try @ someone like Baalzebup. I dont really know anything about the RPG systems, so cant help, but there is lots of knowledgeable here.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017

With all of the known exploits closed AFAIK, it is more or less established that farming the end game mission Marobashi on whatever is the highest available difficulty for you is the best way to farm Amrita. OFC, this comes with the caveat that actually farming Amrita is not that effective in getting more powerful, as you need quite a few levels to see any noticeable differences. True power in metagame numbers comes from setting up a good set of gear. Your stats will merely supplement that, instead of the other way around.

It is also worth noting that the DLC bosses are just on another level compared to the bosses in the vanilla missions. Maria in particular is simply tough as nails before you know and get a good read on her moves, timings and quirks.

FlexMentallo

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Finally started playing this on PS4 a few days ago, picked it up on sale a while back.

Man, I am hooked and I am not that far in at all.

Back in the day I always wanted to play a game that took the Ocarina of Time z-lock combat and went apeshit with it. This is scratching that itch, digging the combat in this more than the Souls games.

The opening flow was kind of weird, especially having to struggle with working stuff out in that opening level, and then they do a tute level and then they do all the tute pop ups in the next real level. Whatevs, was fine once you get the hang of it.

I don't know how well my old man reflexes will keep up across the whole game, but trying different weapons, gearing up, optimizing runs and finding all the stuff in levels is super satisfying so far.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

I suck at video games

stn

Oct 28, 2017
The White Tiger boss is kicking my ass, send help lmao. My agility is only "B", what do I do?

Oct 26, 2017
The White Tiger boss is kicking my ass, send help lmao. My agility is only "B", what do I do?
I assume B agility means medium armour?
In general respect his rear and stick to his face. If his eye is glowing do a nice powerful vertical strike at it, this will stun him and deplete his ki. Then unleash your best flux combo on him.

The eye resets when he regens it and his ki.