• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doin an Odachi level 1 run, cause my hype for Sekiro is through the roof and I need a way to channel it. Gameplay with the weapon so far has been alot less flashy, and i could really use flux 2.....but making such a high stamina cost weapon work is pretty fun. I adore the heavy-heavy, high stance combo, especially after a flip. So much its encouraging me to play sub optimally just to do it more often. Deffo having fun with it as some who loves the balance between flashyness and purpose in this games combat.

Jesus Christ, that was beautifull.

You are awesome at this game.

Any tips for early Kusarigama build, is there a Reset Era Discord? or a place to add people that still play thisgame to coop maybe?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, that was beautifull.

You are awesome at this game.

Any tips for early Kusarigama build, is there a Reset Era Discord? or a place to add people that still play thisgame to coop maybe?

The most active ERA discord that I know about where you can discuss Nioh is the SoulsbourneERA discord run by Morrigan.

You can probably request to join by looking in the OP of some of the big ERA Souls threads.

The biggest active discord is probably the official reddit Nioh discord.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I didn't realize there was an OT for this.

Just got the game last week and I'm very much enjoying it. Killed a few bosses yesterday and I'm slowly wrapping my head around the combat and all the different systems and mechanics and the blacksmith.

I started playing at 60fps on base PS4 but I switched it to locked 30 since I realized I about graphics more than I wish to admit at times. Probably the first time I've wished I owned a Pro to play it at 60fps without having to take such a hit on the visuals. Still it's awesome that the option is there and it shows the commitment to the combat system.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Gonna really limit your gameplay at 30fps, but I do like that team ninja put in the effort to give people a choice.

I've since gone back to 60fps.

I'm at the third region. I just killed Umi-Bozu last night. I'm head-over-heels in love with this game. Playing it makes me feel so happy, so relaxed and joyful. I hadn't enjoyed a game this much since Dark Souls 3. I almost dread playing it since it sucks me in, I look at my watch and hey, it's suddenly 5 hours later.

How could I've let so much time pass without playing this game?

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I played for 6 hours straight tonight. I have to go to work in like 3 hours.

giphy.gif

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I have booted this up recently to make some more progress on the expansions and saw I have played over THREE HUNDRED HOURS! That's actually insane for me for a single player game and still don't feel like I'm done yet. Got my money's worth on this one for sure :). Only two missions to go and all expansions will be complete on Way of the Strong.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
They clearly realized that the boss cannot spawn if you don't build the arena for it. Shouldn't it be right there in the middle of the picture?
Took some comparison shots from my visit (shoddy ps4->facebook compression for the game). The platform where you fight the boss is just a tad bigger than reality....

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Damnnnnnn that looks awesome! Thanks for the pics!

Many deaths were had to water and wheels in that temple...

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I finally beat Way of the Samurai last night. Took me 75 hours, because I did everything before tackling the final mission (getting all the Kodamas, Hot Springs, side missions, a bunch of Twilight Missions), and I also spent way too much time at the blacksmith. I think I'm gonna try to level up a bit and get better gear before tackling the DLCs.

I have a lot to say about this game, but for now, I think it's just an absolutely extraordinary game in every respect. I literally have to force myself to stop playing. I stayed up last night until 3 and I could've easily kept going if I didn't have to go to the gym at some point today and needed some sleep. This is a gem of a game and it's filled to the brim with brilliant little ideas which, combined with the unbelievably deep and fun combat, just come together in a way that I can only describe as magical. It presents an almost a pure gameplay experience that removes the tedium found in contemporary AAA game design.

I was feeling a bit bummed out that the last 5 or so bosses in Way of the Samurai felt a bit too easy since I killed them all on my first try, but now I understand that that's just a warm-up. Oh, you thought Nobunaga was too easy? Here, fight him together with another boss, but not before going through this multi-wave gauntlet of revenants. The first time I beat Tachibana Muneshige in the first region it took me 79 tries. Well, now fight him and another boss at the same time. Dayum. (Only took about 4 tries this time, thankfully. Sloth is almost too good).

I love it. And that's not even in Way of the Strong!

I bought this game because of my hype for Sekiro, but at this point, I think I'm just as hyped for Nioh 2 as I'm for Sekiro.

Last edited:

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
I finally beat Way of the Samurai last night. Took me 75 hours, because I did everything before tackling the final mission (getting all the Kodamas, Hot Springs, side missions, a bunch of Twilight Missions), and I also spent way too much time at the blacksmith. I think I'm gonna try to level up a bit and get better gear before tackling the DLCs.

I have a lot to say about this game, but for now, I think it's just an absolutely extraodrinary game in every respect. I literally have to force myself to stop playing. I stayed up last night until 3 and I could've easily kept going if I didn't have to go to the gym at some point today and needed some sleep. This is a gem of a game and it's filled to the brim with brilliant little ideas which, combined with the unbelievably deep and fun combat, just come together in a way that I can only describe as magical. It almost a pure gameplay experience that removes the tedium found in contemporary AAA game design.

I was feeling a bit bummed out that the last 5 or so bosses in Way of the Samurai felt a bit too easy since I killed them all on my first try, but now I understand that that's just a warm-up. Oh, you thought Nobunaga was too easy? Here, fight him together with another boss, but not before going through this multi-wave gauntlet of revenants. The first time I beat Tachibana Muneshige in the first region it took me 79 tries. Well, now fight him and another boss at the same time. Dayum. (Only took about 4 tries this time, thankfully. Sloth is almost too good).

I love it. And that's not even in Way of the Strong!

I bought this game because of my hype for Sekiro, but at this point, I think I'm just as hyped for Nioh 2 as I'm for Sekiro.
Heh, when you go up the difficulties, sloth simply whimpers out. The higher you go, the shorter its duration on anything that really matters. It is a nice crutch for a while, but you'll want to wean out of it voluntarily before the game beats it out of you.

Barring the very last dual boss missions in the 3rd DLC, vast majority of them are great for pushing player skill to the next level where it comes to spacing, reading audio cues and timing. The DLC bosses are pretty damn great as well. The very first major boss can be a rather crude awakening if you've coasted for a while.

As a general word regarding the game difficulty and the numbers meta, the game seems to assume that you play the next difficulty a bit before going to the DLC.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Heh, when you go up the difficulties, sloth simply whimpers out. The higher you go, the shorter its duration on anything that really matters. It is a nice crutch for a while, but you'll want to wean out of it voluntarily before the game beats it out of you.

Barring the very last dual boss missions in the 3rd DLC, vast majority of them are great for pushing player skill to the next level where it comes to spacing, reading audio cues and timing. The DLC bosses are pretty damn great as well. The very first major boss can be a rather crude awakening if you've coasted for a while.

As a general word regarding the game difficulty and the numbers meta, the game seems to assume that you play the next difficulty a bit before going to the DLC.

Sloth is so powerful in Way of the Samurai that I very deliberately refrained from using it. It wasn't until the post-game Omi region missions that I started using it more generously against multiple bosses, or boss+hard enemy.

I'm just missing one Way of the Samurai mission (where you fight Nobunaga and the Obsidian Samurai after several waves of revenants). That mission is... Wow. Actually the first region in Way of the Strong is easier than those extra Omi missions.

So what's the best way to get divines? Just forge them? I know that at this point it's more important to get better gear than to level up (I'm level 105ish). I've mostly been getting greens off revenants and now I have a full set, though I miss the Kaido Armor and its bonuses since that's what I used for most of the game, but I'd need to farm Ogress claws to craft a full green set. And everyone wears the Warrior of the West so finding Kaido greens from revenants seems impossible.

Last edited:

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the best way to get divines? Just forge them? I know that at this point it's more important to get better gear than to level up (I'm level 105ish). I've mostly been getting greens off revenants and now I have a full set, though I miss the Kaido Armor and its bonuses since that's what I used for most of the game, but I'd need to farm Ogress claws to craft a full green set. And everyone wears the Warrior of the West so finding Kaido greens from revenants seems impossible.
Well, once you've unlocked divine items, they will drop anywhere. The Kaido armor in particular is farmable in the best farming mission of the game, Marobashi (the one where you fight all the dojo masters in a row, one by one). Sakata Kintoki is one of them, so you can get the best chance of getting Kaido armor pieces while also securing a great deal of other loot as income and possibly crafting materials.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
The Marobashi sub-mission is a premier farming point, since it has multiple weapon master (sword, spear, axe and kusarigama) with their gear drops. Entirely and absolutely trivialized with Paralytic Groundfire, especially if you have burst damage enough to one-shot the bosses when they run over your paralysis trap.

Here's an old, crappy screenshot.
imvg0gW.jpg

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The Marobashi sub-mission is a premier farming point, since it has multiple weapon master (sword, spear, axe and kusarigama) with their gear drops. Entirely and absolutely trivialized with Paralytic Groundfire, especially if you have burst damage enough to one-shot the bosses when they run over your paralysis trap.

Here's an old, crappy screenshot.
imvg0gW.jpg

Godayum. So I assume that to unlock that mission I have to do all of the Dojo mastery missions? It's gonna take a while to grind out the proficiency in all the weapons I haven't touched (dual katanas,, spear, kusarigama). Also, how do you have so many Samurai Skill Points? I'm always short on those and I only get one when I level certain stats. Is there anyway to farm locks of samurai hair?

I'm only missing one Way of the Samurai mission on the map , the return of Gourd, in which you have to fight a wave of 6 revenants and finally Nobunaga and the Obsidian Samurai at the same time. It seems absolutely impossible. All the other dual boss fights felt easy, but in this one there's so many living weapon shenanigans and AoEs I barely last ten seconds in.

Last edited:

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Godayum. So I assume that to unlock that mission I have to do all of the Dojo mastery missions? It's gonna take a while to grind out the proficiency in all the weapons I haven't touched (dual katanas,, spear, kusarigama).

I'm only missing one Way of the Samurai mission on the map , the return of Gourd, in which you have to fight a wave of 6 revenants and finally Nobunaga and the Obsidian Samurai at the same time. It seems absolutely impossible. All the other dual boss fights felt easy, but in this one there's so many living weapon shenanigans and AoEs I barely last ten seconds in.

Yep yep, but grinding out the proficiency can be done in any difficulty and mission. Heck, you can even combine it with Twilight Missions for giggles. Or go back to Onryoki and kick his ass over and over again.

Return of the Gourd is a good training ground to handle multiple enemies. I would say:

- The revenants always spawn in the same places and usually far enough apart, so you can abuse that by setting traps or doing your best to burst them down until the others show up. The worst bit is that they all have guns that hurt quite a bit, so you do have to do your best to keep them in view.

- Same goes for the Samurai and Nobunaga. I suggest camping behind where the Samurai spawns and get a metric crapton of burst damage on him as he shows up. Depending on your weapon choice, you can use a charge up move (stab, iai strike, etc) as he shows up to get some good damage on him. Also focus on him, he's a lot easier to bait and punish than Nobunaga is.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Thanks Silav. That's good advice. It never occured to me to camp behind the samurai. I just stood there like a chump buffing up and trying to debuffs them as fast as possible.

I really like the concept of fighting enemies that play by the same rules as you like the revenants but it's infuriating how they can basically lock on to you and shoot you from a distance, the one thing you cannot do.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
There is supposed to be a set that allows you to auto-aim, but I've never tried it haha. I only use bows/guns to potshot/snipe the usual suspects.

Revenants are great fun, and are amazing sources of drops that can be farmed over and over again, too! The only debuffs I ended up using long-term were Weakness and Lifeseal - some enemies that are disgusting to fight get trivialized when you remove their Ki regeneration mwahaha. For Ninjutsu I went full on Paralytic Groundfire and Power Pills. Good times when you one-shot stuff with an Iai Strike sogud.gif.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks Silav. That's good advice. It never occured to me to camp behind the samurai. I just stood there like a chump buffing up and trying to debuffs them as fast as possible.

I really like the concept of fighting enemies that play by the same rules as you like the revenants but it's infuriating how they can basically lock on to you and shoot you from a distance, the one thing you cannot do.

Revenants can be cheesed easily if can use kusarigama. Simply use the 'Get Over Here' Scorpion-style move (high stance triangle I think) that pulls them to you. Then follow with the chain sweep that knocks them over. Then you can attack them when they are down for big damage. This will really help with that mission.

You get a very strong accessory for beating it so worth doing.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Revenants can be cheesed easily if can use kusarigama. Simply use the 'Get Over Here' Scorpion-style move (high stance triangle I think) that pulls them to you. Then follow with the chain sweep that knocks them over. Then you can attack them when they are down for big damage. This will really help with that mission.

You get a very strong accessory for beating it so worth doing.

Very strong? That's considerably underselling it! It's pretty much mandatory if you want to optimize haha

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Very strong? That's considerably underselling it! It's pretty much mandatory if you want to optimize haha
Yeah, the Yasakani is funny that way. A single accessory that is absolutely essential for all advanced builds. Just hearing about its being a thing back when the game was young was a real wake-up for build shenanigans speculation.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Truly so. The only thing that stopped ot from.being broken was that its effect doesn't stack.

Would have been amusing if it did, tho.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Damn, now I really want to clear out that mission.

I've been alternating between that mission and finishing up Way of the Strong. I've been getting my proficiency up for all the weapons; only the spear left to go. I'm doing it both for the Mastery trophies as well as the Trainers boss rush mission. I love all the weapons in this game; they all feel so unique. My favorite is no doubt the Odachi, but the Kusarigama is great fun.

I still get wrecked by Nobunaga+Obsidian but at least I can beat the revenants easily now. Plus you get a ton of Amrita too; I can level every two tries or so.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, now I really want to clear out that mission.

I've been alternating between that mission and finishing up Way of the Strong. I've been getting my proficiency up for all the weapons; only the spear left to go. I'm doing it both for the Mastery trophies as well as the Trainers boss rush mission. I love all the weapons in this game; they all feel so unique. My favorite is no doubt the Odachi, but the Kusarigama is great fun.

I still get wrecked by Nobunaga+Obsidian but at least I can beat the revenants easily now. Plus you get a ton of Amrita too; I can level every two tries or so.
Note that the Yasakani magatama is not utterly unique to that mission. It just happens to be the only place where you can guarantee getting one. It is basically just another divine tier accessory drop where normal loot is concerned, albeit a very rare one.

There are a few disgustingly powerful guardian spirit summons that you can use vs any human foe to utterly trivialize them. Daiba-Washi attacks a large round area in front of you that knocks fuckers off their feet and down to the ground, allowing you to punish them with impunity. When successful, it also removes any Living Weapon modes they might be using. The other one with a similar effect is Mizuchi, with his attack having a longer range in a more narrow corridor.

And by summon I mean the special attack that is unleashed by a) using a moment talisman consumable b) using the guardian spirit talisman onmyo spell or c) pressing the living weapon ignition buttons while already in living weapon mode.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Took me about a week of trying over and over but I finally beat The Return of the Gourd. Way of the Strong is laughably easy by comparison, at least in the first few regions. This mission is by far the hardest thing I've done in this game. And reading up a bit it turns out people actually use this mission to farm for a certain smithing text. Insanity, though I guess that level 200 characters with very high level Divine don't have as much trouble with it.

There are a few disgustingly powerful guardian spirit summons that you can use vs any human foe to utterly trivialize them. Daiba-Washi attacks a large round area in front of you that knocks fuckers off their feet and down to the ground, allowing you to punish them with impunity. When successful, it also removes any Living Weapon modes they might be using. The other one with a similar effect is Mizuchi, with his attack having a longer range in a more narrow corridor.

And by summon I mean the special attack that is unleashed by a) using a moment talisman consumable b) using the guardian spirit talisman onmyo spell or c) pressing the living weapon ignition buttons while already in living weapon mode.

I'm embarrassed to admit that, even after a hundred hours in this game, deep into Way of the Strong, almost done with all the trophies and with one foot on the DLC, I still don't fully understand a lot of the mechanics, specially the living weapon since I've used it so little. I've never even used a moment talisman! And I'm not sure how to use the ignition buttons either. O_o

This game is just on another level in terms of mechanics.

Also, most of my gear is +3 divine weapons, but I haven't really found any new gear that could bring that up. Do player revenants even drop higher level divine? I've been farming some revenants over a hundred levels above me and their gear is +1 at most.

In way of the strong, when using the Green Ochoko cups to increase the drop rate of divine, does that persist for that mission, or is it only for that instance of the mission and will reset after I complete it / exit the mission?

I can't believe I still have so many questions.

Last edited:

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Took me about a week of trying over and over but I finally beat The Return of the Gourd. Way of the Strong is laughably easy by comparison, at least in the first few regions. This mission is by far the hardest thing I've done in this game. And reading up a bit it turns out people actually use this mission to farm for a certain smithing text. Insanity, though I guess that level 200 characters with very high level Divine don't have as much trouble with it.

I'm embarrassed to admit that, even after a hundred hours in this game, deep into Way of the Strong, almost done with all the trophies and with one foot on the DLC, I still don't fully understand a lot of the mechanics, specially the living weapon since I've used it so little. I've never even used a moment talisman! And I'm not sure how to use the ignition buttons either. O_o

This game is just on another level in terms of mechanics.

Also, most of my gear is +3 divine weapons, but I haven't really found any new gear that could bring that up. Do player revenants even drop higher level divine? I've been farming some revenants over a hundred levels above me and their gear is +1 at most.

In way of the strong, when using the Green Ochoko cups to increase the drop rate of divine, does that persist for that mission, or is it only for that instance of the mission and will reset after I complete it / exit the mission?

I can't believe I still have so many questions.
For the summon attack, you literally press the exact same buttons you use to activate Living Weapon in the first place while in Living Weapon mode. Triangle + Circle in the default PS4 controls. Every single guardian spirit has their own thing and they vary in quite wild ways.

Revenants will *never* drop divines with +# values. Like at all. They simply should not drop anything with any +# values ever. And for divine loot in general, they way you are supposed to go up to the higher values is to simply start mashing those +1s and +2s together to make +3s and +4. Combine +1 and +1 and you get a +2. Combine +2 and +2 and you get a +3. Rinse and repeat all the way to the max. Be prepared to burn a fuckton of money. Later difficulties will naturally drop higher quality stuff, but even the latest missions of Way of the Strong yeld up to like +6 or +7, while the maximum is ... +10 I think? Can't even remember. And please note that you can only go up a single +# per soul match, so don't try to skip ahead by using a +4 to boost a +2 or something.

The drop rare booster is only active for that particular instance of the mission. Once you return to the world map, it will no longer be in effect.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
For the summon attack, you literally press the exact same buttons you use to activate Living Weapon in the first place while in Living Weapon mode. Triangle + Circle in the default PS4 controls. Every single guardian spirit has their own thing and they vary in quite wild ways.

Revenants will *never* drop divines with +# values. Like at all. They simply should not drop anything with any +# values ever. And for divine loot in general, they way you are supposed to go up to the higher values is to simply start mashing those +1s and +2s together to make +3s and +4. Combine +1 and +1 and you get a +2. Combine +2 and +2 and you get a +3. Rinse and repeat all the way to the max. Be prepared to burn a fuckton of money. Later difficulties will naturally drop higher quality stuff, but even the latest missions of Way of the Strong yeld up to like +6 or +7, while the maximum is ... +10 I think? Can't even remember. And please note that you can only go up a single +# per soul match, so don't try to skip ahead by using a +4 to boost a +2 or something.

The drop rare booster is only active for that particular instance of the mission. Once you return to the world map, it will no longer be in effect.

Thanks Baalzebup. You guys have been really helpful. I feel dumb now for not thinking about creating +2s out of +1s and so on. I guess I'll keep farming revenants for the materials and to create the +1s.

This game has its grip on me like no game has in a while. Even the Souls games, as much as I love them, usually tire me by the time I finish NG+ and I'd rather just set them aside for a bit or try a different build from scratch.

Somehow this game manages to get more interesting in the post game. It rewards the player for sticking with it and for investing time not only learning the systems but also for getting "gud".

I love that this game knows exactly what it is, and whom it is catering to. Almost nothing about it feels half baked and the more you play, the more everything falls into place and becomes more relevant.

Goddamn, I think that if Sekiro released today, I'd still be playing Nioh instead.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Nioh is a flawed masterpiece - in all honesty my only major gameplay annoyance (though it is a doozy) is the obtuse as fuck.

Menus everywhere, entire systems barely explained, and so on. I can sorta deal with lack of variety in the missions, areas and enemies, but the menus are the big one.

But if you can get past that...well. It plays like a dream.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, it's pretty daunting. 100 hours in and I still feel that half the time I'm just guessing.

Dark Souls is kinda similar in its opaque approach to systems and mechanics but I feel that the player base is large enough in those games that almost everything has been dissected and digested.

With Nioh on the other hand sometimes I'll try to Google something that I'm not sure about and you get either a barren bare bones Fextralife entry or a reddit thread in which people can't seem to agree on tons of stuff. Dark Souls 1 has been data mined, modded and analyzed to a degree in which there's probably nothing we don't know about how that game works. There's at least 3 wikis dealing with all the minute details about every system, mechanic, boss, event, etc.

Like I haven't found any solid info on how the level of forged weapons is determined. Is it based on your character level with a modifier? Is it based on the highest level gear you've found? Is it based on the highest level mission you've done?

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Ilvl when forging is some mix of character level and what you already have with some modifiers, which possibly and even likely includes tiers dependent on overall progress and difficulty level. Maybe someone here knows more :)

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Yeaaaah, that one is really kind of a doozy in how big of a ???? it is, but the most important factor is the highest level mission you've cleared thus far. Naturally, it is limited by the difficulty levels you've unlocked as well, and there might have been some other factors in the initial difficulty level, but going forward, it should be all about a) the cap determined by the currently unlocked difficulty and b) the highest level mission you've cleared.

Then there were the level adjustments you could accrue with the blacksmith favor points :D

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Though all crafted gear from Divine onwards is lvl150, right? I can't forge a 150+4 or whatever item, can I?

I think I finally figured out the souls matching progression that Baalzebup explained. Matching a +1 with a +1 gives you a +2; +2 with +2 a +3, etc. So used up all the +1s I had and bumped up my gear to mostly +4. Though now the question is, where to get +1s to get the ball rolling since they can't be forged (AFAIK) and revenants don't drop them either. So I'm assuming it's either random drops or rewards from missions?

Is there a chance to get +1s or higher from the Tea house as well?

I also think I've might be a tad overleveled for the DLC if the first mission is any indication. Didn't die once and killed most enemies in two or three hits. I blame return of Gourd for being so freaking hard.

Last edited:

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Though all crafted gear from Divine onwards is lvl150, right? I can't forge a 150+4 or whatever item, can I?

I think I finally figured out the souls matching progression that Baalzebup explained. Matching a +1 with a +1 gives you a +2; +2 with +2 a +3, etc. So used up all the +1s I had and bumped up my gear to mostly +4. Though now the question is, where to get +1s to get the ball rolling since they can't be forged (AFAIK) and revenants don't drop them either. So I'm assuming it's either random drops or rewards from missions?

Is there a chance to get +1s or higher from the Tea house as well?

I also think I've might be a tad overleveled for the DLC if the first mission is any indication. Didn't die once and killed most enemies in two or three hits. I blame return of Gourd for being so freaking hard.
You can get divines with +# values as normal drops and mission rewards once you go to higher level missions. The highest you will see in Way of the Strong will likely be +6. The item level cap is 150 for now, but even that will start increasing once you unlock further difficulty levels. There is even one more item quality tier, Ethereal, which is only available on the 4th and 5th difficulty levels, Way of the Wise and Way of the Nioh.

There is some chance for forged divines to pop with a +1, but that is an unreliable source. Loot drops are the way to go.

Oh yeah, a word of warning with the Soul Matching. While increasing just the +# value of an item carries a certain cost that remains fairly stable not matter how many times you do it, increasing the actual item level of a piece of gear has a kind of a cumulative percentage based cost penalty for each time you upgrade the item level. One, two, even three times is fine, but the 4th and beyond will become insanely expensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty daunting. 100 hours in and I still feel that half the time I'm just guessing.

Dark Souls is kinda similar in its opaque approach to systems and mechanics but I feel that the player base is large enough in those games that almost everything has been dissected and digested.

With Nioh on the other hand sometimes I'll try to Google something that I'm not sure about and you get either a barren bare bones Fextralife entry or a reddit thread in which people can't seem to agree on tons of stuff. Dark Souls 1 has been data mined, modded and analyzed to a degree in which there's probably nothing we don't know about how that game works. There's at least 3 wikis dealing with all the minute details about every system, mechanic, boss, event, etc.

Like I haven't found any solid info on how the level of forged weapons is determined. Is it based on your character level with a modifier? Is it based on the highest level gear you've found? Is it based on the highest level mission you've done?

Yeah the menus and the armor perks can be very difficult to learn intuitively what they do. Back when the game was newer there were several you tubers who tested everything and made a lot of videos about it.

PWAR gaming was a popular channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3pISmU5NW9wZliwNqBN1Q

He tested out all the perks and made a lot of video's of OP builds that break the game. Although it sometimes felt like Team Ninja was watching his channel and constantly nerfing his builds, there were other people using the same builds. Keep in mind that his OP LW build got nerfed really hard.

A lot of the info on how the game works and how the menu's work is buried in youtube videos of several you tubers who played the game for 1000s of hours. People didn't generally get around to writing a lot of long guides.

For example I learned how to make the OP level 999 abyss one shot build by watching youtube videos and pausing the video's and taking screen shots to look at the perk combinations when they were slowly flashed across the screen and talking to a few hardcore players on the Nioh reddit discord server. And that was back when the game was more popular. I made a post back in this thread about how to make a level 999 abyss one shot build. This build was nerfed but it can still one shot every boss in the Abyss even floor 999.

In general if you do a search on YouTube there tends to be a decent video explaining just about anything you want to know about Nioh including the Menus. Unfortunately it wasn't really written into a centralized Wiki's or text based guide. Although I think it is true that the knowledge of how every system in Nioh works is fully known ... but on Youtube in various scattered videos.

If you want to read then this is a good thread to get started: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/6u8x4y/the_kodamas_directories_your_onestop_thread_for/

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah the menus and the armor perks can be very difficult to learn intuitively what they do. Back when the game was newer there were several you tubers who tested everything and made a lot of videos about it.

PWAR gaming was a popular channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3pISmU5NW9wZliwNqBN1Q

He tested out all the perks and made a lot of video's of OP builds that break the game. Although it sometimes felt like Team Ninja was watching his channel and constantly nerfing his builds, there were other people using the same builds. Keep in mind that his OP LW build got nerfed really hard.

A lot of the info on how the game works and how the menu's work is buried in youtube videos of several you tubers who played the game for 1000s of hours. People didn't generally get around to writing a lot of long guides.

For example I learned how to make the OP level 999 abyss one shot build by watching youtube videos and pausing the video's and taking screen shots to look at the perk combinations when they were slowly flashed across the screen and talking to a few hardcore players on the Nioh reddit discord server. And that was back when the game was more popular. I made a post back in this thread about how to make a level 999 abyss one shot build. This build was nerfed but it can still one shot every boss in the Abyss even floor 999.

In general if you do a search on YouTube there tends to be a decent video explaining just about anything you want to know about Nioh including the Menus. Unfortunately it wasn't really written into a centralized Wiki's or text based guide. Although I think it is true that the knowledge of how every system in Nioh works is fully known ... but on Youtube in various scattered videos.

If you want to read then this is a good thread to get started: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/6u8x4y/the_kodamas_directories_your_onestop_thread_for/

Thanks DekuBleep. Those are some awesome resources. Some of those one shot videos, damn. It's cool to see but I'm not sure if I want to cheese the game to that extent. But I do want to keep up with the games difficulty as I approach WotN.

As a testament to how addicted I am to this game, I noticed that character movement in the game became increasingly jerky and sluggish. Last night it was so bad that the game was basically unplayable, specially when sprinting. I tried other games and it was fine. Googling around I learned that it basically means that the stick is failing; it's just more noticeable in Nioh due to the way William stops when he changes direction suddenly and how wide his turning radius is. So I instantly went to Amazon to buy a new Dualshock. I need my Nioh!

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks DekuBleep. Those are some awesome resources. Some of those one shot videos, damn. It's cool to see but I'm not sure if I want to cheese the game to that extent. But I do want to keep up with the games difficulty as I approach WotN.

As a testament to how addicted I am to this game, I noticed that character movement in the game became increasingly jerky and sluggish. Last night it was so bad that the game was basically unplayable, specially when sprinting. I tried other games and it was fine. Googling around I learned that it basically means that the stick is failing; it's just more noticeable in Nioh due to the way William stops when he changes direction suddenly and how wide his turning radius is. So I instantly went to Amazon to buy a new Dualshock. I need my Nioh!

Be sure that you are playing in Action mode too. You probably are but I was just checking.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, action mode. Been playing for over a hundred hours and the issue just cropped up.

Just got my new DS4 and it's working fine now. Luckily I was able to nab it at a good price.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah it is actually essential. It took me ages to get mine.

Don't feel bad for that. Some of the DLC bosses are nuts and you'll be grateful for all that power advantage. :)

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Over leveling and Overpower gear kinda undermines the challenge of the game.

How would you guys feel if Nioh 2 lose some of those elements and just build the game around player's combat skills and abilities?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Over leveling and Overpower gear kinda undermines the challenge of the game.

How would you guys feel if Nioh 2 lose some of those elements and just build the game around player's combat skills and abilities?

I really, really appreciate when a developer allows players who know what they are doing to basically break the game. There's such a thing as balancing a way into dullness. It's something I love about DS1 and, as much as I like DS3, that game is much more restrictive when it comes to creating builds that wreck shit. (RIP Power WIthin+RTSR).

Though I agree with you that I'd rather face a challenge than being overleveled and just wreck everything. For me the difficulty of the missions like Iga Style or Return of the Gourd felt just right: very difficult but totally doable. (in WotSam). Though of course I haven't played beyond WotSr nor have I finished the DLC so I might be talking out of my ass.

OP
OP
DekuBleep

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Way of the Nioh feels like it either requires a cheese one shot build, or a strong desire to play to near perfection. Take your pick. I choose cheese one shot build.