• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrDoctor

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Sounds emotional. Do you own other hardware?
the portable form factor is a huge factor, and many people aren't ready to suddenly drop the cash on a switch for any arbitrary reason. plus there's the consideration of people who move around a lot without much time for games at home. it's a more make-or-break deal than you think.

i personally might have passed if not for the pc version that will enable classic keyboard controls; i have that choice of a different platform. on the other hand, the vita was already on its last legs a long time ago.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Regarding the edits of suggestive content about minor sexualization:

Will this apply to all games regardless of age rating or just those rated 15+?

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the edits of suggestive content about minor sexualization:

Will this apply to all games regardless of age rating or just those rated 15+?
You surely mean the sexualization of minors, right? Because there's a big difference between that and "minor sexualization." And in this case it is clearly the former. I applaud mods who keep that filth off these forums. I'm sure there are many alternative venues people can visit to oggle at scantily clad anime children.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I've moved on from the Vita myself but it sucks that some people have had to go from wishing for this game when it was a Vita-exclusive in 2016 to seeing the potential localization delayed beyond a point where NISA saw the Vita as even viable for a digital release. One of the reasons for this delay being porting this former exclusive to other platforms. That's cold. Maybe a reasonable business decision but still cold.

Kind of sick of dungeon crawlers myself so I doubt I'll get it. Heard it's good so fans of the genre should keep an eye on it.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
People used to post the EO4 dancer over and over again and talk about how they'll never play the game because of it. This is despite that character design being easily avoidable and everything else in the game being great.

Posts here make this game seem like a vaguely similar situation. If that's how it is I'll happily give it a go.

I don't care that I don't have to look at the sexy little girl. She shouldn't exist at all in the first place.
I don't have to look at, say, /pol/ or /r/t_d either, but their existence is a huge fucking problem.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Such a shame they're skipping the Vita version, as the Vita fanbase was clearly the most vocal about it. I guess a digital-only release is better than nothing. Personally, I've already switched and will buy it on that other portable machine. I think by the time this game comes out (Fall), a lot of other Japanese companies will have included Switch as a platform for their new games as well and maybe even have completely abondoned Vita. It's a shame, but the Vita can't live forever. It's out for over 6 years. It only makes sense support is slowing down and newer platforms arise. Sony clearly doesn't care about handhelds anymore and I'm glad these niche kind of Japanese games can actually live on on the Switch.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Two years, to be told I need to get it on other hardware. Kinda a bummer.

Guess I'll pick it up in a couple of years then! Still nice to see it coming west at all I guess.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
You surely mean the sexualization of minors, right? Because there's a big difference between that and "minor sexualization." And in this case it is clearly the former. I applaud mods who keep that filth off these forums. I'm sure there are many alternative venues people can visit to oggle at scantily clad anime children.

I remember a discussion about Ys 8 in the women criticise thread and there were pics of sexualised minors, something that really turned me off from buying the game.
So I wonder if there will be exceptions when it comes to context

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
Ill get this if I get a Switch in the future, the only Drpgs that I played and liked were Chocobo/Shiren/Pokemon.
This looks pretty nice as well.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I am not even interested in the game because of the character designs but fuck NISA. So the ones that wanted the game to come to the west, waited even when the game was delayed, got fucked over like this. What a mess.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are the preorder links going to be removed too since the Tarot card image also showcases the questionable design?

Ill get this if I get a Switch in the future, the only Drpgs that I played and liked were Chocobo/Shiren/Pokemon.
This looks pretty nice as well.
The Pokémon/Chocobo/Shiren games are rougelikes. DRPGs are different.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus christ finally, it took'em two freaking years. That said I'm so looking forward to playing this.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Do not condone, defend or otherwise excuse the sexualisation of children. This extends to works of fiction.

Uh, they aren't children, they are puppets. They aren't really actually alive.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Finally, too bad i won't own a switch for a long time (waiting for a switch exclusive EO or Metroid Prime 4 to not suck) and the Vita version was skipped so PC it is.
Glad the game is finally coming.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How much will it be?

I've got to imagine that the drop off in Vita support from Koei Tecmo and NIS has something to do with the fact that they can't charge more than $40 for a Vita game.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
How much will it be?

I've got to imagine that the drop off in Vita support from Koei Tecmo and NIS has something to do with the fact that they can't charge more than $40 for a Vita game.

it's the overhead. honestly, longest five minutes, lost child, and penny-punching princess shouldn't have been vita either at this rate. the market for vita games is so small that it doesn't justify the overhead for the people who do the english text and voice acting, nor does it for the people who spend their overhead on the programming (usually the licensors/ip holders).

the vita market kinda/sorta dropped out at the end of 2017 after holding on for a decent part of the year. the system's six years old and sold half as well as the wii u in the west. that it didn't completely die after dancing all night is kind of remarkable.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it's the overhead. honestly, longest five minutes, lost child, and penny-punching princess shouldn't have been vita either at this rate. the market for vita games is so small that it doesn't justify the overhead for the people who do the english text and voice acting, nor does it for the people who spend their overhead on the programming (usually the licensors/ip holders).

the vita market kinda/sorta dropped out at the end of 2017 after holding on for a decent part of the year. the system's six years old and sold half as well as the wii u in the west. that it didn't completely die after dancing all night is kind of remarkable.

That bad huh?

I was thinking more in terms of that Vita was the "portable option" but now Switch can capture that market and not only sell more units, but do so at a higher price. It would make sense to cut down on Vita releases in order to encourage those people to either upgrade to Switch or PS4.

We have already seen in the last few years many publishers in Japan transitioning their audience to PS4 to varying degrees of success.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
wait,hold up,if the vita sells only just half as well as the wiiu in the west then there is noway it could be at that so called 15m

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
That bad huh?

I was thinking more in terms of that Vita was the "portable option" but now Switch can capture that market and not only sell more units, but do so at a higher price. It would make sense to cut down on Vita releases in order to encourage those people to either upgrade to Switch or PS4.

We have already seen in the last few years many publishers in Japan transitioning their audience to PS4 to varying degrees of success.

well there's also that. it's more that the presence of the switch diminishes the need for a ps vita version on the market.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh!? I need to look at gameplay videos then! I thought Drpgs and Rougelikes are one of the same, I stand corrected.
DRPG is a FP dungeon crawler, you try to reach the end of the game with (usually) a party of characters. If you wipe you reload. The dungeons are generally hand crafted and don't change play through from play through.
In a roguelike you will try and fail to reach the end of the dungeon over and over, when you die you make a new character to try again. New characters created often can get bonuses from your previous attempts in some way (new skill/equip unlocks, etc.) The dungeons are randomly generated.

I mean, it's not 100%, but that's generally how it works.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
Checking game play videos, this is not what I thought of when reading the replies and watching the trailer. I thought it was a Mystery Dungeon game haha!

I don't like Drpgs, specially the zero story approached ones like Etrain. But this HAS a story, which is a big step up. So I'll check it out still.

DRPG is a FP dungeon crawler, you try to reach the end of the game with (usually) a party of characters. If you wipe you reload. The dungeons are generally hand crafted and don't change play through from play through.
In a roguelike you will try and fail to reach the end of the dungeon over and over, when you die you make a new character to try again. New characters created often can get bonuses from your previous attempts in some way (new skill/equip unlocks, etc.) The dungeons are randomly generated.

I mean, it's not 100%, but that's generally how it works.
Oh! I am familiar with rouge likes, I like the genre! But this first person dungeon crawlers didn't appeal to me in the past. I wonder if they will put a demo up.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Is it possible to play through the game and not encounter the problematic character being discussed here?

Tayls

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to play through the game and not encounter the problematic character being discussed here?
I think you have to collect resources and use them to create party members, and you are free to never create classes that you don't want. Also i think i saw pictures that said that classes can be both genders with different designs.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I think you have to collect resources and use them to create party members, and you are free to never create classes that you don't want. Also i think i saw pictures that said that classes can be both genders with different designs.

Oh good maybe I will pick this up then. I found out with a random Vita game a while ago that I really like Japanese DRPG's. Ended up selling it back to Gamestop though after encountering similar problematic characters and never finished it.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Regarding people complaining for the lack of a Vita English translation, they should instead blame Sony, for discontinuing the Vita in western countries. I don't know what's the situation in the rest of the world, but in Spain, since 2016, it's impossible to buy a new Vita. It hasn't been in stock in any major online retailer in the last two years. The only option is to pay some scalper in Amazon, to buy a second hand console or to import one from Amazon Japan that by the way, it will include a different power adaptor. And the situation with the memory cards is even worse.

Why should NIS America support a system that not even Sony is supporting in these countries?

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I watched some gameplay video on youtube and i liked it a lot but now i'm reading here about the sexualisation of children: is this game too embarassing to play in public? Since i'd like a fp dungeon crawler to play it on my switch in handheld mode.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I watched some gameplay video on youtube and i liked it a lot but now i'm reading here about the sexualisation of children: is this game too embarassing to play in public? Since i'd like a fp dungeon crawler to play it on my switch in handheld mode.
All the buzz is about shot 0:35 in the trailer of the game, which can be found at NISA's YouTube channel. I have no idea how frequent those characters will be on screen or whether all of those 'puppets' are dressed (cough) like that. To be honest, while I would never promote it, I think the commotion is very overdone.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we won't be talking about any japanese games then.
371748995959357451.png

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
All the buzz is about shot 0:35 in the trailer of the game, which can be found at NISA's YouTube channel. I have no idea how frequent those characters will be on screen or whether all of those 'puppets' are dressed (cough) like that. To be honest, while I would never promote it, I think the commotion is very overdone.

oh i see, i think you can maybe choose not to use these two characters. Fortunately it's not as bad as i thought

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I don't see the difference in that trailer with something like Etrian or Disgaea.
It's not Criminal Girls or similar...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm no prude but some of those designs are a bit too much for me.

I'm not particularly into DRPGs anyway, although I did like 7th Dragon III.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I would really like a good dungeon crawler for Switch that didn't feature this shit. Christsakes