• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
https://gematsu.com/2018/04/nis-ame...ng-sony-is-not-friendly-with-small-publishers

DacMiZPVAAAZYHW.jpg

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
they really shot themselves in the foot

at least they won't have to kiss their business goodbye now

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That's not really why he's apologizing, he's just plain contradicted the his previous description of the deal for SNK heroines.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
"Sony aren't friendly with small publishers because they're too busy making the big bucks, but I shouldn't have said this publicly. For that, I am truly sorry."

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
The most interesting part of his original statement was the one where Nintendo deliberately made a deal so that the PlayStation 4 would not get a physical version of the game.

It lends proof to past statements that platform holders are willing to spend money to prevent not only marketing but releases on other platforms.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they are actually apologizing for what they said about Sony. This seems to be more about them suggesting SNK was behind everything and NISA just went along with it.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's not even the part he apologised for...

I already pointed out that this revised story is kind of contradicted by the fact SNK said the game added a Switch version half way through.

The End

Jan 25, 2018
The most interesting part of his original statement was the one where Nintendo deliberately made a deal so that the PlayStation 4 would not get a physical version of the game.

It lends proof to past statements that platform holders are willing to spend money to prevent not only marketing but releases on other platforms.

Possibly, but with more than half of all PS4 games being bought digitally now I'm not sure Sony would even care to match whatever offer Nintendo gave them.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
lol
This is almost like a reality show.

"You are bad."

"You said what?"

"Nah, nothing."

*awkward silence*

Edit: I mean, professionally he had to say something else after that interview, so this is good.
His previous comments were not very business savvy and not helpful for the company.

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Yep, this is the first time I'm hearing of exclusive physical version, the game isn't even big to begin it but Nintendo still went for it.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
It doesn't seem like the apology is explicitly about that statement(?), but either way, a public apology for saying that Sony isn't nice to small publishers definitely makes me think Sony is actually nice to small publishers.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

I think if Nintendo paid for exclusivity they'd get, well, exclusivity.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Agree that they don't seem to be apologizing for comments made about Sony not caring about small Publishers. Seems like they are apologizing for letting details of the deal out about how the decision was made to bring it to Switch.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

And disproves the myth that Nintendo doesn't do it

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Found it weird Nintendo paid for exclusive retail of the fan service Snk game. With the Vita dead and Sony having no interest in another handheld. That fanbase was going to jump to the Switch anyway, seems like a waste lol

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

True. You had plenty thinking that SNK Heroine was exclusive to Switch, and I saw many on Twitter even still did think it was exclusive until this PR hit. Nintendo has the marketing deal. Playstation's YT channel doesn't have Shermie's debut trailer for the game but Nintendo does.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The thing that struck me as odd was that, at least how it was translated, was it sounded like there would be no physical PS4 version, when there clearly is a $120 LE for it. I understand that that is probably the only western physical release for it on PS4, but the interview read more like "at all" and I was wondering if they were changing the LE to have a game code.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Wish NIS stuck to their guns. Nintendo may be just as bad someday, but its all about alliances. Sony won't be king forever. Guess Kaz was irritated he had to send a henchman to make NIS recant. I wonder if a western niche developer had spoken out against Sony, would they have been silenced too.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It was a reckless thing to talk about in the first place, whether it's true or not. Didn't feel really professional.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I misread that and the article completely backwards. My bad.

That said, no doubt Nintendo does. They're not stupid.

Oh of course, everybody makes deals, and I actually think this is a classic case of walking back something true because it upsets the wrong people.

I'd say if this is true then Nintendo clearly isn't aggressive enough, otherwise this wouldn't have a PS4 release at all.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Oh jeez, i can only wonder all the shadiness behind this with Sony threatening NIS for saying such things about them. (they didn't say anything wrong by the way, Jim Ryan himself said that indie and small publishers are no longer a priority for Sony)

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand it, SNK originally only planned to release the game for PS4 with NISA publishing it. NISA than got an idea to jump on the Switch hype train and tried to strike a deal with Nintendo.
So, not only they were able to convince SNK to make the game for Switch, they also managed to come up with this physical version semi-exclusive deal.

And now they apologize because the article painted bad light on Sony and SNK because it was all their own doing.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish NIS stuck to their guns. Nintendo may be just as bad someday, but its all about alliances. Sony won't be king forever. Guess Kaz was irritated he had to send a henchman to make NIS recant. I wonder if a western niche developer had spoken out against Sony, would they have been silenced too.
Nobody is king forever but you don't want to be an idiot and destroy relationships. Nintendo has done this just as much as Sony or MS.