• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mattneil8

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
NISA is on a roll. Seemed odd that SNK would be the ones to initiate the "Nintendo exclusive" for SNK Heroines. Sounds like NISA sold them the wide retail release and relegated the PS4 version to digital and expensive limited edition.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of weird to lie in an interview and it's hard to take seriously if they did truly lie or are now backtracking to save face.

Fairly certain this is backtracking. This seems like a little too huge of an about-face on the facts cause it was clearly creating some bad PR for some.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like both SNK and Sony called.

I'd say Nintendo may have also. Doubt they want this type of info out either to be honest.

Edit:
Fairly certain this is backtracking. This seems like a little too huge of an about-face on the facts cause it was clearly creating some bad PR for some.

Yea, I'm not buying that the CEO just decided to make things up. Guessing it's the truth but ruffled some feathers that he never intended to ruffle and thus we have an apology to try and downplay it.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
They're notably not apologising to Nintendo.

Didn't say they were apologizing to Nintendo. With Nintendo's secretive nature regarding business decisions and then typically being the ones wanting to control the message I doubt they like him telling how the deal was struck. Obviously Sony and SNK are the ones upset, but I'm sure Nintendo would prefer he didn't discuss contracts.

What, false information? I don't think Nintendo would bother, they'd actually be flattered if they even thought NISA was worth the time for a call about a single interview.

I didn't say anything was false????

As I mentioned above, Nintendo typically doesn't want their partners talking about these types of things. Sure Sony and to a lesser extent SNK, were the ones upset, but this doesn't seem like the type of stuff Nintendo likes partners discussing in the media.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Nintendo may have also. Doubt they want this type of info out either to be honest.

Edit:

Yea, I'm not buying that the CEO just decided to make things up. Guessing it's the truth but ruffled some feathers that he never intended to ruffle and thus we have an apology to try and downplay it.
Yeah I can see he was a bit too open about this whole stuff.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
That SNK was the one behind the exclusive deal.

Maybe...screams of backtracking to me after causing some bad PR for potential future partners but maybe this time he's telling the truth :p

Edit: to my original point, I don't think Nintendo would want them talking about this type of contractual information whether it's truth or false.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
That SNK was the one behind the exclusive deal.
Where's that Oprah what's the truth gif, because I agree with others here. A CEO doesn't just lie like that for no percieved benefit and send out PR apologising for said lie. I'm guessing he told the truth but this lie is far less damaging relations wise.

One lie saves face the other serves no purpose at all beyond damaging relations.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Where's that Oprah what's the truth gif, because I agree with others here. A CEO doesn't just lie like that for no percieved benefit and send out PR apologising for said lie. I'm guessing he told the truth but this lie is far less damaging relations wise.

One lie saves face the other serves no purpose at all beyond damaging relations.

He's either a liar or not the smartest cookie in the jar? Got it.

Oct 29, 2017
I doubt it. On previous interviews Oda mentioned Heroines began development as a PS4 exclusive title and Sony was very involved on XIV's development so I don't see SNK dropping Sony just like that.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He spoke the truth, and had to walk it back to avoid burning bridges, simple as that.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
https://nintendoeverything.com/interview-snk-heroines-devs-talk-switch-game-modes-and-more/
When did development begin? Was the game originally planned for Switch, or was the system considered later on?

YO: Development began about one year ago. We started working on the Switch version in the middle of development.

As I said doesn't that contradict the idea that it was a Switch exclusive before they decided to expand to PS4?

Unless we're meant to believe it would only be on PS4 in Asia.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That backstab to Sony doesn't sound like the smartest thing to say to a news outlet. But hey, whatever floats their boat!

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Isn't this thread worthy?

New news, new thread?

Edit: Or was this part of the thread since the beginning? Title doesn't seem to reflect any of this, it just talks about sales.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
"I'll give you a scoop! Originally we signed with SNK on SNK Heroines just on the PS4 format. Then last year an opportunity happened at Gamescom, two third parties happened to meet all together outside Nintendo's meeting room. The first meeting was between NIS America and Nintendo of Europe (NOE) and the next meeting was between SNK and NOE. Of course, these two were separate meetings. Then after their meeting influential people from SNK came to our booth and said: 'Hey Mr. Yamashita, is it possible to cancel our contact on PS4? Nintendo wants to work on this title on an exclusive basis!'

So these third parties come together and the team at NIS and SNK decided to go with Nintendo for the western market. Physical copy-wise, it's going to be a Switch exclusive. PS4-wise it's going to be just digital. That's the deal. We will not release a packaged version for PS4 format. Then Nintendo will act as a distributor for this game. Then they promised to buy a lot of units. I can't reveal the number of units they've guaranteed, that's secret talk."
So basically he lied...

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
mjlol.png
this dude

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see why SNK would drop PS4 .
KOF on the system so some of the fan base there and it started as a PS4 game.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
That's the question, but there for sure is a contradiction.

a) The original statement says that both SNK and NISA talked to Nintendo and later, SNK suggested to NISA to make a Switch deal
b) The 'apology' says NISA suggested a Switch deal.

Yeah I don't trust the apology it's way too suspect. Either this dude is a pathelogical liar or he really fucked up.

Wonder if SNK wasn't ready to burn any bridges with Sony, like apparently NIS was willing to with their comments. I don't know, and we probably won't know the full truth now. Definitely interesting though.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if SNK wasn't ready to burn any bridges with Sony, like apparently NIS was willing to with their comments. I don't know, and we probably won't know the full truth now. Definitely interesting though.
I mean the fact that even their newly announced game is not an exclusive is pretty definitive that they still want to release on other consoles. Seems like NISA stepped on some toes with their statement and got reprimanded which is unusual usually PR interviews are tightly controlled but I guess you can't completely control the top position in your company if they decide to go off script. However this really shows why we are drip fed content and don't get intimate access to most devs for interviews.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the fact that even their newly announced game is not an exclusive is pretty definitive that they still want to release on other consoles. Seems like NISA stepped on some toes with their statement and got reprimanded which is unusual usually PR interviews are tightly controlled but I guess you can't completely control the top position in your company if they decide to go off script. However this really shows why we are drip fed content and don't get intimate access to most devs for interviews.

Definitely agree and it would be stupid for SNK to burn bridges, even if they didn't have any plans to release on PS4 in the near future. You never know when you may want to work with them again and it's best to keep your potential partners happy, even when nothing is actively in the works.

Just wonder if that's where the pressure to apologize came from largely. Who knows but seems strange.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why would SNK burn any bridges with Sony, now or in the future?

Why would NISA burn bridges with Sony, even if his games sell better on Switch?

Seems to me he talked out of his ass and realized is a very bad thing when you need to do business with a varied group of partners.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Why would SNK burn any bridges with Sony, now or in the future?

Why would NISA burn bridges with Sony, even if his games sell better on Switch?

Seems to me he talked out of his ass and realized is a very bad thing when you need to do business with a varied group of partners.

Not going to disagree that it's not wise to burn bridges. In my opinion NISA clearly didn't care and the apology doesn't even address the comments that Sony doesn't care about small publishers. Nobody is claiming it was a smart move that I know of, including me.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to disagree that it's not wise to burn bridges. In my opinion NISA clearly didn't care and the apology doesn't even address the comments that Sony doesn't care about small publishers. Nobody is claiming it was a smart move that I know of, including me.

I think is very clear when he's apologizing specifically to Sony. Considering they made a press release about the issue, is clear that they realized they fucked up.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017