• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
For someone with more insight, why did Nintendo make a push for snk heroes of all things, promising to buy units?

Shrug

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they care so much since they have the no 1 leading console that has outsold all competition
You know that they're not guaranteed to be number 1 forever right? They'd do well to not let their success get to their head just because they've outsold their competition for now. Arrogance took down Atari, it took down Sega, it torpedoed Nintendo 64, handicapped the PS3 and Vita, and gave us the Xbox One.

Oct 26, 2017
You know that they're not guaranteed to be number 1 forever right? They'd do well to not let their success get to their head just because they've outsold their competition for now. Arrogance took down Atari, it took down Sega, it torpedoed Nintendo, handicapped the PS3 and Vita, and gave us the Xbox One.
Everyone gets arrogant every now and again. But I think we can safely say Sony isn't gonna get PS3-level arrogant again after the PS3 wiped out a lot of what they earned from the PS1/PS2 or that Nintendo won't get Wii-level arrogant again after how awfully the Wii U bombed. When the next PS and Xbox come out, I feel that the gap will be a lot more close for the Big 3 as opposed to how lopsided it was this gen and thus all of them will have to go a bit more out of their way to sell or continue to sell their system. At any rate, in this case, I feel like this is just a case of Sony having having larger and more publishers to focus on compared to Nintendo, especially with the PS4 being such a big success, more so than Sony becoming arrogant. I'm sure they'll curate smaller publishers going into the PS5 like they did with the PS4 early on

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
For someone with more insight, why did Nintendo make a push for snk heroes of all things, promising to buy units?

Shrug

Don't really have insight, but I think it's like what Phantom Thief said. Nintendo is just providing units and distribution for NISA and SNK to get more support in the future and have a good relationship with them. They have had trouble with third party support in the past, so this is them getting a good relationship with NISA and providing them more incentive to bring their games to Switch. It helps their titles are doing well on the platform too.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone gets arrogant every now and again. But I think we can safely say Sony isn't gonna get PS3-level arrogant again after the PS3 wiped out a lot of what they earned from the PS1/PS2 or that Nintendo won't get Wii-level arrogant again after how awfully the Wii U bombed. When the next PS and Xbox come out, I feel that the gap will be a lot more close as opposed to how lopsided it was this gen and thus all three will have to go a bit more out of their way to sell their system. At any rate, in this case, I feel like this is just a case of Sony having having larger and more publishers to focus on compared to Nintendo
I think having larger publishers to push is fine, and is a reality if a successful console business. Actively and publicly pushing away smaller developers after attempting to foster them to kickstart your new console burns bridges, though, and could come back to haunt them later.
Sony will never be PS3 level arrogant again- but arrogance of any degree could still be dangerous, not just for them, but for any of the big three.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Nintendo wanting to make SNK Heroines, of all games, an exclusive is the kind of thing that my brain is making rusty-gears-grinding-together noise trying to process. What the hell?
Well, I can't blame Sony for wanting the best and PS4 userbase is not supporting these smaller games enough.

We were fed up with these smaller Japanese titles in hordes on PS3 and most of them were not good.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo and SNK have a exclusive deal? You know what this means?

Nintendo vs SNK

Well the crossovers and left-field experiments aren't over yet at least

Cg0fGgo.png

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really have insight, but I think it's like what Phantom Thief said. Nintendo is just providing units and distribution for NISA and SNK to get more support in the future and have a good relationship with them. They have had trouble with third party support in the past, so this is them getting a good relationship with NISA and providing them more incentive to bring their games to Switch. It helps their titles are doing well on the platform too.
Nevermind I guess this makes sense.
Getting too caught up on the game.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Shrug
Those are very niche games to begin with. . Nintendo ordering a couple thousand of units is probably already enough to minimize the risk of publishing/distribution by a lot and they have the infrastructure in place.

Switch is a newer system - Nintendo is always looking for devs and games they can push as exclusives. Especially if the game looks like it might perform best on Switch anyways.

For NIS/SNK it's a big deal, for Nintendo it was just a Wednesday.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I definitely think Arcade Archives REALLY got Nintendo's attention towards SNK. I also wonder about the wording if SNK have MORE Switch exclusives with Nintendo planned.

The King of Fighters XV?! O_o

Oct 26, 2017
I think having larger publishers to push is fine, and is a reality if a successful console business. Actively and publicly pushing away smaller developers after attempting to foster them to kickstart your new console burns bridges, though, and could come back to haunt them later.
Sony will never be PS3 level arrogant again- but arrogance of any degree could still be dangerous, not just for them, but for any of the big three.
But are they actively pushing away smaller developers or just not giving them as much of a focus? Not to say that them treating NISA poorly is fine, far from it, but I get the impression it's more so the latter than anything else. I won't be surprised and do expect that this will in some way hurt the support these smaller publishers and developers have for Sony in that it'll lead them to supporting the Switch more but I do hope that maybe Sony will try and give them more attention than they have been latelu

Definitely agree that even a small bit of arrogance is harmful. I don't want to see Nintendo or Sony make more notable mistakes out of arrogance

Thebeast!

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Do they want sony to advertise their game why should they. Sony advertise Monster Hunter but didnt tell capcom to not release a physical copy for xbox what a shitty thing to do to ps4 customers

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Ya, it can't be denied that Sony now is getting complacent and not really supporting smaller/nicher publisher like they used to during PS3/ early PS4 era.
I'm also not sure if there's a change in Falcom or it's Sony dwindling support, but Sen no Kiseki 2 got simultaneous launch for Jpn and Asian version mainly due to Sony's support.
Sen no Kiseki 3, after half a year, still has no Chinese/Korean version or even any announcement of whether it's coming.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I think we'd all be feeling like Capcom if a Nintendo VS game happened with SNK over them :(

I'm surprised an actual Capcom VS Namco hasn't happened (not counting Monolith's games). So arguably a Nintendo VS. Namco is actually extremely fitting, literally most out of all companies Nintendo could do this with, even more than Sega I feel.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
What would make Nintendo VS SNK different from having one or two SNK reps in Smash Bros? I guess if they made it a more traditional fighting game?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Friendship ended wity SONY.

Now NINTENDO is my best friend.

Seriously tho, that's a pretty wild interview haha. I did find the SNK Heroines push fairly weird from Nintendo initially but now it all makes sense, good for SNK and NISA.

Pretty happy with NIS finding success thanks to the Switch more than anything, I'm very fond of their output and have always thought they deserve better. Here's to a bright future on the platform (please bring the rest of your back catalog too!)

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Good for the company. They seem pretty bitter about Sony though, wonder if this is a general feeling from small Japanese studios?

There are probably quite a number of smaller Japanese studios that found success on Vita, and are now real unhappy that Sony abandoned the Vita(and thus them), especially as we see quite a number of Good Vita sellers struggle to match the success on PS4.

But i understand why Sony does it.
They realized that they cant really find much more success in Japan with these smaller Japanese companies, so they focus on the japanese games that sell well to the western audience.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised an actual Capcom VS Namco hasn't happened (not counting Monolith's games). So arguably a Nintendo VS. Namco is actually extremely fitting, literally most out of all companies Nintendo could do this with, even more than Sega I feel.
Now that I'd actually be genuinely interested in. Namco Bandai, Capcom, or SEGA are the ones whom I felt would be the best choice for a crossover fighter with Nintendo or with each other. Kinda weird that Capcom didn't make other VS games with other publishers, now that you bring it up

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Do they want sony to advertise their game why should they. Sony advertise Monster Hunter but didnt tell capcom to not release a physical copy for xbox what a shitty thing to do to ps4 customers
NISA wants to be as loved as big Japanese companies.

It's never going to happen, SIEA has been the same since they were known as SCEA. They only cared about big hits or their own quirky titles they localized to the west.

PS2 era SCEA was just ugly. They stone walled third party titles Design Works wanted to publish on PS2 in America. PS1 era SCEA was more like PS4 SIEA they only cared about big hits from Japan and didn't even bothered to bring their Arc the Lad series to west because it was in 2D. Design Works localized the entire trilogy which SCEA gave them permission to. PS2 SCEA was terrible for any publisher whether you were big or small.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

Shrug

Reggie likes them Waifus.

And maybe they saw how well these SNK arcade games were selling(were they not over a million already ?) and thought that maybe the same people would want a new game with some of these characters.

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like NIS is helping SNK a lot and the ACA games sales on Switch got Nintendo attention. Now with SNK hiring new people I guess they are planning more stuff (a new Metal Slug for Switch would be interesting).

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Everyone gets arrogant every now and again. But I think we can safely say Sony isn't gonna get PS3-level arrogant again after the PS3 wiped out a lot of what they earned from the PS1/PS2 or that Nintendo won't get Wii-level arrogant again after how awfully the Wii U bombed. When the next PS and Xbox come out, I feel that the gap will be a lot more close for the Big 3 as opposed to how lopsided it was this gen and thus all of them will have to go a bit more out of their way to sell or continue to sell their system. At any rate, in this case, I feel like this is just a case of Sony having having larger and more publishers to focus on compared to Nintendo, especially with the PS4 being such a big success, more so than Sony becoming arrogant. I'm sure they'll curate smaller publishers going into the PS5 like they did with the PS4 early on

While i definitively dont want it to happen, i do worry that Sony could try to push VR as a integrated part of the PS5, bringing the price up for something that i firmly believe is just not ready for another 8-10 years.

But yes, i do think that next "gen" will be much closer, simply because i think the Switch will become a family of systems that Nintendo will support/develop for at least 3 "gens", and that MS might finally have found their place in the market(with the XB1X, as the highest end almost PC machine) especially if they finally just let people install some form of Steam on Xbox.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Won't stop being amusing to me that the Switch is basically a fusion of Wii U and Vita, two flop platforms, and yet is enjoying such healthy sales, both hardware and software.

I think smaller "niche" Japanese pubs really mesh well with the kind of Nintendo portfolio that Nintendo seems to be building on Switch. The platform is all about Nintendo's unique offerings, complemented by a large selection of indies and niche games. There's a lot of fantastic development going on in those realms right now that gets overlooked on more crowded platforms, but Nintendo seems to be building a strategy around signal-boosting them and cultivating an active consumer base that appreciates them. The same kind of audience was cultivated naturally on the Vita, but Sony never seemed to take notice of it. They were happy to just keep collecting the licencing revenue and completely ignore the platform.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017

Shrug

Building relationships with companies. If it means Nintendo has to pull a deal for an SNK Waifu game to then secure exclusivity later for something like the SNK 40th Anniversary collection, it's more of an investment for the future.

Deleted member 59

So SNK Heroines (Switch) will get a wider retail release than just the NISA store, whereas the PS4 physical version is limited to NISA store?

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
D5 is still my most played Switch game, in terms of total hours. Best RPG on the system in my opinion