• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Owns any of what? Like, I can see some of these not even being made without someone funding them. Sony doesn't ever fund Fatal Frame but Nintendo does, and as far as I'm aware, Nintendo doesn't own any rights to Fatal Frame. Similar for Bayonetta.

So Bn and SE dont have the funding lmao. Iam just sayin, we were shitting on sony and ms for having loads auf timed exclusive and paid exclusive bullshit, so we cant praise Big N for doing excatly the same thing.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
None of those two companies (Nintendo or Sony) is nastier or more arrogant than the other, both are giant multinational capitalist companies that doesn't care about the integrity of whom they're working with, as long as they both have interests in each other. Those discussions about 'arrogant sony' are pointless.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
How many more examples lik this do we need for 3rd party devs to fully support the Switch.
Very demanding games such a Wofenstein the New Colosseum are ported to the Switch. So there are no more excuses !

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually just learned that these Code Mystics ports of Neo Geo games are only on PS4 and Vita because Sony funded them. I already bought all of them for those systems but I was really hoping they would come to Switch. None of those ACA Neo Geo games have netplay, or even the nice suite of features and options. They aren't even the console versions so there's no training mode.

I hope Nintendo and SNK work something out to do something similar. I know that the new Virtual Console is supposed to have netplay on select games, but I wonder how that would work with the same games already being sold through Hamster...

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
None of those two companies (Nintendo or Sony) is nastier or more arrogant than the other, both are giant multinational capitalist companies that doesn't care about the integrity of whom they're working with, as long as they both have interests in each other. Those discussions about 'arrogant sony' are pointless.

You are right that both companies are basically only interested in making money. That said, I do think there is merit in discussing whether either one has become arrogant. It's led to things like the Wii U and X1 and PS3 launch in the past. Regardless of whom you are talking about, the console manufacturers could become arrogant and hurt their potential sales. I will say I don't think we are seeing an arrogant Sony atm though.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad it's working out for companies on Switch, I just wonder if it's a lack of game supply issue, and that as more and more good games head to the Switch, whether this trend will slow down or stop.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are right that both companies are basically only interested in making money. That said, I do think there is merit in discussing whether either one has become arrogant. It's led to things like the Wii U and X1 and PS3 launch in the past. Regardless of whom you are talking about, the console manufacturers could become arrogant and hurt their potential sales. I will say I don't think we are seeing an arrogant Sony atm though.
I wonder if arrogance is really the right word.

Success tends to make people and companies out of touch. It can lead to some very misguided decisions. Nintendo has been guilty of it multiple times, PS3 was Sony's first real stumble and they managed to correct. I haven't detected them slipping recently, we'll see what they do with PS5.

I'm glad it's working out for companies on Switch, I just wonder if it's a lack of game supply issue, and that as more and more good games head to the Switch, whether this trend will slow down or stop.
It's not a supppy issue. There's something close to 600 games on Switch already and a ton of new games release every week.

Things are far, far better than they were on Wii U and 3DS at this time in their lives.

Speaking for myself, my wishlist on the eShop has gotten pretty big and it keeps getting bigger because I've already got plenty to play on my system.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
How many more examples lik this do we need for 3rd party devs to fully support the Switch.
Very demanding games such a Wofenstein the New Colosseum are ported to the Switch. So there are no more excuses !

We can't assume that the ROI would be worth it for all 3rd party games. We need some major day and date releases on all 4 platforms to compare, and then we have to take into account the games whose scope or design are limited by the XB1/PS4 CPUs to begin with. I would imagine there isn't even a thought to develop some like Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed.

I would be highly surprised if they didn't get virtually all the non demanding titles in the future though.

There's multiple factors but that's probably some part of it. There will also be more consoles in homes though, so I guess it depends on where the spending habits of the current user base lie at any point. I bet most devs who have already released on Switch love it atm.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I actually just learned that these Code Mystics ports of Neo Geo games are only on PS4 and Vita because Sony funded them. I already bought all of them for those systems but I was really hoping they would come to Switch. None of those ACA Neo Geo games have netplay, or even the nice suite of features and options. They aren't even the console versions so there's no training mode.

I hope Nintendo and SNK work something out to do something similar. I know that the new Virtual Console is supposed to have netplay on select games, but I wonder how that would work with the same games already being sold through Hamster...
Yeah the Code Mystics ports are due to the Sony Third Party Productions group. That's the only reason they're on Vita too.

For Hamster's ACA NeoGeo games they should really add AES support as dlc or something. I'd pay $1 or whatever and it's already in the rom file, they just need to enable it. If they really wanted to go all out they could include NGCD support for games that had it too, which sometimes added more playmodes and CD soundtracks.

ArcaneFreeze

Oct 27, 2017
So Bn and SE dont have the funding lmao. Iam just sayin, we were shitting on sony and ms for having loads auf timed exclusive and paid exclusive bullshit, so we cant praise Big N for doing excatly the same thing.
Difference being though that the games they fund for exclusivity are usually smaller niche titles that are much more reliant on publisher support. Games like Fatal Frame and Bayonetta wouldn't survive because BN and Sega don't want to risk paying for something that will likely not sell well or barely break even. Their source of income is solely on the games they sell. When someone like Nintendo steps in these types of issues are gone because BN and Sega don't take the financial hit and even if Nintendo does they have other sources of income that BN and Sega don't. And for Fatal Frame itself its a miracle Nintendo still gives that series life considering it really just doesnt sell. Games like Tomb Raider, Titanfall, Destiny, Crash etc. could easily have been published and funded without giving exclusivity rights to MSoft/Sony because they're big name titles almost guaranteed to sell.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'm thinking that Nintendo must be co-producing or financing Tomoya Asano's games. The FF III & IV remakes were DS exclusive for several years, 4 Heroes of Light is still DS exclusive, Bravely 1 & 2 are 3DS exclusive, and now Octopath is Switch exclusive. Either that or dude just really likes working with them.
DS, 3DS and the now the Switch dominated the domestic market... It really isn't surprising that SE always have exclusives lined up for these systems.

Shouldn't even be a question if they werent so biased with the FF series on Sony systems lol.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the Code Mystics ports are due to the Sony Third Party Productions group. That's the only reason they're on Vita too.

For Hamster's ACA NeoGeo games they should really add AES support as dlc or something. I'd pay $1 or whatever and it's already in the rom file, they just need to enable it. If they really wanted to go all out they could include NGCD support for games that had it too, which sometimes added more playmodes and CD soundtracks.
I get that they're ports of "arcade" games but it does seem really silly not to have that option.

I wonder if the terms of their license with SNK specially prohibits them from enabling the console mode.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017

Success tends to make people and companies out of touch. It can lead to some very misguided decisions. Nintendo has been guilty of it multiple times, PS3 was Sony's first real stumble and they managed to correct. I haven't detected them slipping recently, we'll see what they do with PS5.

It's not a supppy issue. There's something close to 600 games on Switch already and a ton of new games release every week.

Things are far, far better than they were on Wii U and 3DS at this time in their lives.

I do think Sony was a bit arrogant at the beginning of the PS3. That said, I agree and mentioned in my post that I don't think we are seeing an arrogant Sony right now at all. The amount of games releasing on PS4 is huge and obviously that means they won't have as many resources to promote the smaller titles. I expect Sony to continue with PS5 where they left off PS4. The most powerful box at a reasonable price, which is what I think is best for them.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
At this point I'm thinking that Nintendo must be co-producing or financing Tomoya Asano's games. The FF III & IV remakes were DS exclusive for several years, 4 Heroes of Light is still DS exclusive, Bravely 1 & 2 are 3DS exclusive, and now Octopath is Switch exclusive. Either that or dude just really likes working with them.
or he is a blind nintendo shill :P

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
DS, 3DS and the now the Switch dominated the domestic market... It really isn't surprising that SE always have exclusives lined up for these systems.

Shouldn't even be a question if they werent so biased with the FF series on Sony systems lol.

FF is a very big global brand, so they're chasing global sales instead of just domestic. Most of the recent releases have been on Xbox or PC also(albeit later in most cases).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
FF is a very big global brand, so they're chasing global sales instead of just domestic. Most of the recent releases have been on Xbox or PC also(albeit later in most cases).

Developing the games for Nintendo hardware doesn't mean skipping other systems or limiting yourself to Japan.

All I said was that it shouldn't be a suprise that SE is developing this type of games for Nintendo systems.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I do think Sony was a bit arrogant at the beginning of the PS3. That said, I agree and mentioned in my post that I don't think we are seeing an arrogant Sony right now at all. The amount of games releasing on PS4 is huge and obviously that means they won't have as many resources to promote the smaller titles. I expect Sony to continue with PS5 where they left off PS4. The most powerful box at a reasonable price, which is what I think is best for them.
Now, now, now... there were some very poor decisions that lead to MS allowing Sony to have the more powerful box this gen. I would not expect that to be the case next gen.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This happens a lot. Both Monster Hunter World and Dynasty Warriors 9 have limited exclusivity deals in certain regions. It sucks but I guess you gotta make people come to your platform somehow.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Now, now, now... there were some very poor decisions that lead to MS allowing Sony to have the more powerful box this gen. I would not expect that to be the case next gen.

Think you misinterpreted what I wrote, which may have been poorly worded???

I didn't mean PS5 would be the most powerful of the generation. Just the most powerful Sony could make it at whatever price point they target. MS could clearly have the most powerful box and I think that's actually a legit possibility. That wasn't what I meant though. Again, sorry if it was poorly worded but hopefully this makes it clear.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Sony deals with hundreds if not thousands of developers/publishers. Not every relationship is going to go perfect.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Glad to see SNK getting in on some deals. And glad to see NIS finding an audience on other platforms, that seem to have users that are losing a degree of interest in them.

Really, if developing for Switch audience means we'll get different games than we'd get if NISA of SNK were locked to PS4, then... fine. Same with SNK and Treasure last Gen. Some games just wouldn't be made under certain sales projections and audiences. Heard it from working designs, heard it from Treasure, seen it through lots of stuff that gets greenlit on Vita but not PS4, Xbox 360 but not PS3, or Saturn and not PlayStation.

I also really have to wonder if the Anniversary collection would be any way near the same, if not for being on Nintendo's platform. The Home Versions (And Crystallis) are going to be NES versions most likely, right? While there have been NES games released on other platforms (Rare Replay and Capcom's Disney Collection come to mind), it still seems to take more work.

As far as Heroines, Wii U had Tekken Tag 2 ports with Mario costumes. Pokken Tournament is basically a Nintendo exclusive Tekken skin. A Retro Street Fighter Port was nearly a Switch first-string release. As much as Nintendo is trying to have an esports push, I think it's smart of them to get a pool of games to interest the audiences that are suppose to be playing ARMS and SMASH. And Heroines is basically a walking promo for Hamster's old SNK releases, which are a big supporter of the thirsty Virtual Console-style market that's bringing oldschool shooters and new games like "Dragon Marked For Death" from Inti Creates onto the system.

Heck, a years exclusive from Nintendo got us a New Bomberman game. Which is now releasing on basically everything, and has been getting great support for it since release. There's way less sting to such deals than there used to be, even compared to 2 or 3 years ago.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sony deals with hundreds if not thousands of developers/publishers. Not every relationship is going to go perfect.

Exactly what I mentioned. The amount of titles releasing on PS4 is huge right now. Unfortunately, that means Sony is naturally going to focus on the largest titles or exclusive titles. I don't think Sony is intentionally doing anything to push away smaller Publishers. It just happens to be one of the challenges when the Platform is as successful as PS4 is at this point in its lifecycle.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to hear that the have success :)

So glad they went with two platforms instead of going with Sony's anti-consumerism proposal of making it exclusive.
Nintendo is actually the one that made a deal here, and that resulted in that the physical version is exclusive to the Switch, so you should comment on them instead :P And is there any chance that Sega and Nintendo will make changes to Baynoetta 2 and 3 so its not anti-consumerism? :P It can suck when games are exclusive to certain platforms, i agree to that, but its common on all platforms.

It was originally a PS4 exclusive. they broke that contract and it is now on both Switch and Ps4.
It was originally a PS4 exclusive indeed, but this was a deal between NIS and SNK. Its not related to Sony. The deal NIS and SNK had was that the game should only be released on PS4 (several of companies release their games exclusive for certain systems without there being a deal with the hardware manufacturer). Then Nintendo stepped in, and NIS asked SNK if they could change their agreement, adding a Switch version to the contract. Nintendo then got the game for the Switch, and also made it so that a physical copy is exclusive for the Switch.

Since NIS and SNK doesnt have any hardware sales to think about, It was benefitial for both of them to add a Switch version when Nintendo offered to buy many copies (Nintendo is publishing the physical copies). The NIS guy also mention that Sony doesnt care about smaller japanese publishers (he wouldnt mention that if they had a deal with Sony in the first place), so this case has likely nothing to do with Sony.

EDIT: I added some text.

I don't think it's just for that game as I've only seen a switch physical version of the recently announced snk 40th anniversary collection
https://i2.wp.com//wp-content/uploads/2018/04/snk-40th-anniversary-collection-limited-edition-1.jpg?fit=1920%2C1101&ssl=1
When is that coming out?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Yep, you cannot please everyone. Also there is a luck part and we cannot just go with few case of success stories in the early years of a console where there are less games to choose from compared to others. Also there is difference in Switch and PS4 in play modes where some games sell better in either.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
"Bububut...Microsoft and Sony are representing us, the real gamers!! Look at Phil's tweets, he wants what's the best for us! And what about #4thegamers?? Sony is all about that, they only care about the gamers!! Nintendo's games are made out of pure love, they're the company I grew up with and I cherish beautiful memories of their stuff from when I was a child. They couldn't possible be one like those companies who only want to make money like EA right?? They're humble and they're here to give us a big smile on our faces!"

There are actually people that really think like this, like when Sony unveiled the PS4 or when Phil says something on Twitter or even now in the Switch era. The idolization of those higher up business men at those companies is also something that makes me cringe everytime (being fan of their accomplishments is totally different though), but I guess the memezz make it okay, my body is ready amirite lololol.

Last edited:

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Hmmm future king of fighters XV to be Switch exclusive?

KoF XIII and XIV were published in the US with Atlus. It'd be better for that relationship to continue for that series, and for Switch to headline, or get limited exclusives for things tailor made to it's audience.

Not only does that mean the games have a better chance or spreading about eventually, but it also means the devs will get the ability to make more games, for wider audiences. Imagine Switch being the system that allows development on Garou 2 to continue, or enable a modern Metal Slug. It'd be great to see a relationship like this enable SNK to get up from under their "only a fighting game developer", and start to make other stuffs again, alongside the other titles.

Deleted member 19274

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In really glad that Switch is a healthy platform for them. I'm really looking forward to several games they have lined up so far this year (Ys 8, Happy Birthdays, SNK Heroines and the Anniversary collection in particular).

Also I badly hope that this SNK partnership leads to a new Metal Slug.

If I wish one game into existence a new HD Metal Slug would be that game.

SNK Heroines and SNK 40th Anniversary receiving some level of exclusivity on Switch doesn't surprise me and I expect many retro-themed collaborations with Nintendo and third parties in the future. One of Switch's primary markets is the older / lapsed player who has a fondness for classic games.

Classic game reboots and re-releases are the 3rd party games I most look forward to on the Switch.

Deleted member 21693

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I looked in the best sellers on the shop today and kamiko is back in it sitting at number freaking 6, I think when these games get just a passing mention on stuff like Twitter, for instance saying how good the game is selling puts the game back in the public's eye.
I hope Level 5 is taking a good look at those bestsellers. Seeing Stardew doing so amazingly well a Fantasy Life Switch should be a given.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

They managed to correct in some regions. Not so much in others.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Wow this interview is surprising.

First, we usually don't hear much about Nintendo of Europe, it's nice to read this, i guess we should thank Shibata (outside SNK and NIS, of course) for all these SNK goodness we're receiving.

Shout out to NIS for the support: i think one of their biggest strenght on Switch is the fact that they rely on retail versions, while other publishers tend to avoid that and go digital only, but cartridges is the way to go if you want to save space.

Also because we haven't heard anything about Fire Emblem yet and Valkyria Chronicles 4 is still far away, Disgaea 5 Complete is still the best SRPG you can find on the eShop.

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about calling out Sony for not caring about small publishers is the fact it's meaningless. Sony doesn't have to care about small JP publishers because they will still develop their games with PS as the primary platform. They get all that support by default and Nintendo has to work overtime just to share the games.

Deleted member 30005

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sony is good at courting developers early on to their platform, but then once the console has established itself and the big games from the bigger companies come out they kinda dropped them.

You can see this with indies getting alot of attention but then by year 2 they kinda put less and less focus on them

Sony placed a considerable amount of emphasis on indie developers for 4 full years, at E3, Gamescom and PSX. 2017 was the first year where Sony did not feature an extended indie reel during any of their live showcases, opting instead to show them during the pre-show at E3 and Gamescom. They transferred a lot of their focus and weight to independent developers working on PSVR.

Sony help celebrate and promote independent developers every year at PSX. This might surprise you, but the show does not end when the cameras stop rolling.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Level 5 is taking a good look at those bestsellers. Seeing Stardew doing so amazingly well a Fantasy Life Switch should be a given.

Japanese Publishers like Level 5, Atlus, etc... should do very well on Switch. Ideally they would have already fully transitioned to Switch. Hopefully we start seeing support over the next year.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
If FFXIV was on Switch, I'd never stop playing.

But I think storage capacity is a big hurdle. Two expansions deep, the game is huge on PS4/PC now. It would almost certainly require 32 or even 64gb game cards.
That's fine. DQX demands 32GB reserved too iirc, storage really isn't an issue when it's left to users to choose.