• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony placed a considerable amount of emphasis on indie developers for 4 full years, at E3, Gamescom and PSX. 2017 was the first year where Sony did not feature an extended indie reel during any of their live showcases, opting instead to show them during the pre-show at E3 and Gamescom. They transferred a lot of their focus and weight to independent developers working on PSVR.

Sony help celebrate and promote independent developers every year at PSX. This might surprise you, but the show does not end when the cameras stop rolling.
2017 was a very odd year too. They announced Undertale for their platform. This big indie game that has a ton of fans for it worldwide now, in their weird pre-show that barely anyone watches or gets excited for compared to their main E3 event. They showed the trailer, barely talked about it, then quickly moved on to Ni No Kuni 2.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Bububut...Microsoft and Sony are representing us, the real gamers!! Look at Phil's tweets, he wants what's the best for us! And what about #4thegamers?? Sony is all about that, they only care about the gamers!! Nintendo's games are made out of pure love, they're the company I grew up with and I cherish beautiful memories of their stuff from when I was a child. They couldn't possible be one like those companies who only want to make money like EA right?? They're humble and they're here to give us a big smile on our faces!"

There are actually people that really think like this, like when Sony unveiled the PS4 or when Phil says something on Twitter or even now in the Switch era. The idolization of those higher up business men at those companies is also something that makes me cringe everytime (being fan of their accomplishments is totally different though), but I guess the memezz make it okay, my body is ready amirite lololol.
Iwata was legitimately a good person tho and even took pay cuts so he wouldnt have to layoff his employees

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Surprised this thread is so positive. It has all the trademarks everyone complains about.

Exclusive contracts. No physical version for one console. A 1st party buying lots of copies of a game to inflate shipment numbers. And worst of all the one that brings the most ire pointing out that the switch market isn't as competitive as the ps4 market so games have a better chance to sell.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this thread is so positive. It has all the trademarks everyone complains about.

Exclusive contracts. No physical version for one console. A 1st party buying lots of copies of a game to inflate shipment numbers. And worst of all the one that brings the most ire pointing out that the switch market isn't as competitive as the ps4 market so games have a better chance to sell.
There's a physical version for PS4, it's releasing day 1 for that system. And it's not to inflate shipment numbers, they're legit helping smaller publishers that would otherwise have trouble selling their games as PS4 exclusives.

If we complain about marketing exclusive contracts, guess almost no game is safe anymore.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Big stupid move from NisA. Nintendo is just pushing cause switch is a new platform just as much sony did with ps4 years ago.

But ps5 will come and guess what will happen? Roles will reverse once again.

they have one job and it is to ensure both communities are happy cause if they want a worldwide approach for their games playstation is always a good choice.

if nintendo want to pay for a game there is no need to have a deal in the first place, cool. but this is not going to last forever and this doesn't mean arrogance or that sony or playstation fans don't care.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That actually happened in the Xbox rumor thread about MS getting some marketing deals for some games. We're already at this point.
That thread was pathetic. These companies do this everytime since forever, but I guess you use whatever you want to attack the "enemy brand".

Big stupid move from NisA. Nintendo is just pushing cause switch is a new platform just as much sony did with ps4 years ago.

they have one job and it is to ensure both communities are happy cause if they want a worldwide approach for their games playstation is always a good choice.

if nintendo want to pay for a game there is no need to have a deal in the place, cool. but this is not going to last forever and this doesn't arrogance or that sony or playstation fans don't care.
Wow, what a stupid move, they're doubling their sales while still making games for both Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Well, they'd probably just include the base game on a card and require an SD card for patches/expansions. Just checked my game folder, it's 31.6gb on PC right now with both expansions installed.
For DQX it is a download code in the box. However I have all the expansions and latest version and it fits with plenty of space on the internal memory.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
That thread was pathetic. These companies do this everytime since forever, but I guess you use whatever you want to attack the "enemy brand".

Wow, what a stupid move, they're doubling their sales while still making games for both Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch.

Well its working in my case. The bastards are getting 120 dollars out of me instead of 40 because I want a physical copy of SNK:H on PS4.

Jan 10, 2018
I hope Level 5 is taking a good look at those bestsellers. Seeing Stardew doing so amazingly well a Fantasy Life Switch should be a given.

Level 5 has fully commited to Switch going forward.

if nintendo want to pay for a game there is no need to have a deal in the first place, cool. but this is not going to last forever and this doesn't mean arrogance or that sony or playstation fans don't care.

Are you implying with your second sentence that of course Sony doesn't care because PS4 is 4 years old and than end your statement with a sentence stating they will care again when PS5 is new?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was a symbolic move rather than a measure to prevent layoffs?
A bit of both. Iwata has talked about developer morale, and how he felt about the idea of ruling with fear, like with layoffs on a downturn. He was against it because it ruins developer morale. This could even probably be due to his own experience at HAL when it was facing bankruptcy, having 1.5 bil yen in debt. With insistence of Yamauchi, Iwata would become the CEO of HAL during this downturn and he would steer it back to safety and making the company profitable again.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a physical version for PS4, it's releasing day 1 for that system. And it's not to inflate shipment numbers, they're legit helping smaller publishers that would otherwise have trouble selling their games as PS4 exclusives.

If we complain about marketing exclusive contracts, guess almost no game is safe anymore.

Weird it reads like it is saying the physical version is switch exclusive which was in exchange for nintendo agreeing to buy lots of copies. We do complain about marketing deals and publishers buying up large amounts of copies of games that's why every sales thread has people going "shipped not sold".

Also like I said if he said the same comment about the game sales in the switch market on this forum he would be hit with a hundred responses about "starving" "doomed" and "trolling" then with a mod warning for "console warring".

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

They're not going Switch exclusive though?

Sony doesn't care because they don't have to care. When PS5 comes around they won't have to give NIS special treatment because NIS will already be lining up to support the platform.

Also throughout the 3DS' life Nintendo maintained the same standard of distribution/marketing support with companies like Square Enix, Level 5 and Capcom so I'm not sure they'll be ignoring one of the few third party companies supporting Switch with new games regardless of how far in to the lifecycle they get.

Lastly if this was NIS calling out Nintendo for bad support of third parties and talking about how much more successful their PS games are no one would give a shit.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird it reads like it is saying the physical version is switch exclusive which was in exchange for nintendo agreeing to buy lots of copies. We do complain about marketing deals and publishers buying up large amounts of copies of games that's why every sales thread has people going "shipped not sold".

Also like I said if he said the same comment about the game sales in the switch market on this forum he would be hit with a hundred responses about "starving" "doomed" and "trolling" then with a mod warning for "console warring".
This game would probably only have a small retail release because of no marketing at all. KOFXIV has a deal with Sony and that's why it isn't on Xbox and Switch and you don't see people mad over it, so I don't think SNK Heroines getting a limit retail release for PS4 + digital day 1 is that bad and the game will now perform better than it would in the past. And of course with the Nintendo deal they'll order more units, they're promoting this game a lot more than it was originally going to be. We can discuss sales later if it tanks in retail.

And nah, I think Switch downplaying happens way more here, that's why the mods warn people. Mods are so biased that every fanbase says the have a different bias in different threads. :p

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
We do complain about marketing deals and publishers buying up large amounts of copies of games that's why every sales thread has people going "shipped not sold".
People talk about "shipped not sold" because they're being pedantic or want to play down/up. For all intents and purposes, shipped is sold, especially when we include digital numbers in the reporting. If any channel-stuffing occurs, it will become clear in following weeks when unsold copies land in discount bins.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Sony doesn't care because they don't have to care. When PS5 comes around they won't have to give NIS special treatment because NIS will already be lining up to support the platform.

Ah... this kind of Sony is back, isn't it... lmao Let's see how well that works out for them.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Level 5 has fully commited to Switch going forward.
Are you implying with your second sentence that of course Sony doesn't care because PS4 is 4 years old and than end your statement with a sentence stating they will care again when PS5 is new?

It's always about the momentum. Too much games right now in this time of life of PS4. The initial push for a new platform is real and sony/nintendo will reverse roles soon. From 2013 to 2015, Sony pushed really hard where we still believed nintendo would never look at 3rds.

Today, nintendo show us a new perspective to 3rd party and they are doing good. Give it two more years and switch will have 4 years too and it's pretty obvious to me nintendo will start to switch roles with sony as the last one will want partnerships and some exclusivity for ps5. So, a new cycle begin. NisA calling out like that is a mistake imo.

That's the reason of my long post. Playstation and nintendo are equally important to japanese games, so their job it's to make both communities happy. They sent SNK Heroines to die on PS4 just cause of this deal. First because the game should've come sooner (not on fuckn september) and second when they made digital only. If this is a trend then is a stupid move.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game would probably only have a small retail release because of no marketing at all. KOFXIV has a deal with Sony and that's why it isn't on Xbox and Switch and you don't see people mad over it, so I don't think SNK Heroines getting a limit retail release for PS4 + digital day 1 is that bad and the game will now perform better than it would in the past. And of course with the Nintendo deal they'll order more units, they're promoting this game a lot more than it was originally going to be. We can discuss sales later if it tanks in retail.

And nah, I think Switch downplaying happens way more here, that's why the mods warn people. Mods are so biased that every fanbase says the have a different bias in different threads. :p

I don't think the mods are actually biased I just think nintendo fans hit the report button a lot more. They seem to openly brag about the power to report people and sometimes wield it as threat if they don't like what is being said.

Also I don't actually have a problem with the deal. But if you look at MHW and DQ threads these deals are heavily frowned on by the same group. Also why are people bringing of KOF14 switch wasn't even released then and there was a PC version.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't refer to yourself as noone.

What?

This is only notable because Sony has the image of being the most third party friendly hardware maker. It's the image Playstation was built on. Nintendo getting criticized for not supporting third parties would be par for the course.

It's always about the momentum. Too much games right now in this time of life of PS4. The initial push for a new platform is real and sony/nintendo will reverse roles soon. From 2013 to 2015, Sony pushed really hard where we still believed nintendo would never look at 3rds.

Today, nintendo show us a new perspective to 3rd party and they are doing good. Give it two more years and switch will have 4 years too and it's pretty obvious to me nintendo will start to switch roles with sony as the last one will want partnerships and some exclusivity for ps5. So, a new cycle begin. NisA calling out like that is a mistake imo.

That's the reason of my long post. Playstation and nintendo are equally important to japanese games, so their job it's to make both communities happy. They sent SNK Heroines to die on PS4 just cause of this deal. First because the game should've come sooner (not on fuckn september) and second when they made digital only. If this is a trend then is a stupid move.

Except odds are in two more years Switch will still be getting a fraction of games the PS4 is with most major third party games skipping the platform so games from NIS/SNK will be still be notable and Nintendo will still want to support them, just as Nintendo still supports Level 5's games.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely see this trend with NISA, started moving their games to Switch. The longest 5 minutes doesn't have a physical release on PS4, when all their PS4 games have had retail releases before, which is such a shame as I hugely prefer physical copy.

I guess this is the same reason why TWEWY and Octopath are exclusives? Sony just don't care enough to court smaller games and Nintendo come with some exclusivity deals. Whatever works for them I guess.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What?

Except odds are in two more years Switch will still be getting a fraction of games the PS4 is with most major third party games skipping the platform so games from NIS/SNK will be still be notable and Nintendo will still want to support them, just as Nintendo still supports Level 5's games.

The bigger games I agree cause of the weak hardware of switch, but nonetheless, the lineup will be several times better. Competition will be fiercer as expected for a stablished platform of 4 years old. For example, can you expect nintendo to make deals for games like SNK Heroines? But you can for Sony since the new ps5 platform will starve for everything just as much ps4 did years ago and as much switch is right now.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've definitely see this trend with NISA, started moving their games to Switch. The longest 5 minutes doesn't have a physical release on PS4, when all their PS4 games have had retail releases before, which is such a shame as I hugely prefer physical copy.

I guess this is the same reason why TWEWY and Octopath are exclusives? Sony just don't care enough to court smaller games and Nintendo come with some exclusivity deals. Whatever works for them I guess.

The Longest Five Minutes isn't on PS4 AFAIK, it's a Vita game.

Octopath will be exclusive because Square Enix showed no faith in the producer's last IP(Bravely) and Nintendo made it a worldwide success.

EDIT:
The bigger games I agree cause of the weak hardware of switch, but nonetheless, the lineup will be several times better. Competition will be fiercer as expected for a stablished platform of 4 years old. For example, can you expect nintendo to make deals for games like SNK Heroines? But you can for Sony since the new ps5 platform will starve for everything just as much ps4 did years ago and as much switch is right now.

Yes?

Nintendo was still making deals for 3DS third party games in 2017. Six years after the platform launched and the Switch is never going to have the support the 3DS did.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What?

This is only notable because Sony has the image of being the most third party friendly hardware maker. It's the image Playstation was built on. Nintendo getting criticized for not supporting third parties would be par for the course.

I mean I thinkt that bolded + your general neverending stance on Nintendo 3rd party support says it all. This is a positive news thread of how Nintendo has courted a 3rd party that has also got significant success and you spend most of the time in here talking about why it doesn't matter. You speak of Sony getting everything by default, but will they keep getting everything by default when most niche japanese games see a neverending decline? And when NIS releases such niche games in the west, they sell better on the Switch? How can this not matter at all? I'm sure they will continue releasing on PS4 and later PS5 but we'll reach a point I'm sure when skipping Switch for these companies won't make much financial sense.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I mean I thinkt that bolded + your general neverending stance on Nintendo 3rd party support says it all. This is a positive news thread of how Nintendo has courted a 3rd party that has also got significant success and you spend most of the time in here talking about why it doesn't matter. You speak of Sony getting everything by default, but will they keep getting everything by default when most niche japanese games see a neverending decline? And when NIS releases such niche games in the west, they sell better on the Switch? How can this not matter at all? I'm sure they will continue releasing on PS4 and later PS5 but we'll reach a point I'm sure when skipping Switch for these companies won't make much financial sense.
In selling large quantities of systems they're impact isn't that great. They're most useful for driving dedicated early adopters.

The vita has all of these developers completely on board and the vita wasn't exactly successful especially when compared with the 3DS.

I imagine to Sony even if they lost these titles in the end they wouldn't consider it a great loss.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In selling large quantities of systems they'rd impact isn't that great. They'rd most useful for driving dedicated early adopters.

The vita has all of these developers completely on board and the vita wasn't exactly successful especially when compared with the 3DS.

I imagine to Sony even if they lost these titles in the end they wouldn't consider it a great loss.
Did you misquote? Don't feel much here relates to what I wrote.

Ofc for Sony this doesn't matter much, while for Nintendo they have a mid tier japanese company that has benefited from going in hard on the Switch. Best case scenario, more will release on Switch and Sony will start courting japanese devs again and we'll get a healthier climate in Japan again.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

You're getting the wrong end of the stick. NIS is obviously going to support Switch as much as possible going forward, even to the extent of aligning marketing with Nintendo rather than Sony. That's obviously a big win for Nintendo.

But they're not dropping Sony platforms, which means they can call out Sony as much as they want and Sony won't have to do anything about it. Sony still has all the small Japanese games and by concentrating on those big JP publishers has managed to get all the major JP IPs on PS4(DQ, MH and Level 5 IPs) so why would they care that NIS isn't happy about the support they've been given?

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're getting the wrong end of the stick. NIS is obviously going to support Switch as much as possible going forward, even to the extent of aligning marketing with Nintendo rather than Sony. That's obviously a big win for Nintendo.

But they're not dropping Sony platforms, which means they can call out Sony as much as they want and Sony won't have to do anything about it. Sony still has all the small Japanese games and by concentrating on those big JP publishers has managed to get all the major JP IPs on PS4(DQ, MH and Level 5 IPs) so why would they care that NIS isn't happy about the support they've been given?
I can agree they won't drop PS4, mostly because it doesn't make much sense to drop platforms in general. Doesn't change the fact we might move on to a future where projects have Switch as the main version they develop for and spend most resources promoting, while the optimizations for a PS4 / PS5 version will be slightly lower priority. So I'd disagree with the notion it doesn't matter at all.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like Sony is turning into douchey cock Sony again, which is really unfortunate.

i don't think it's a matter of negative attention, but rather the lack of attention towards smaller games and publishers from sony recently that's rankled some of those folks, and it has more to do with siea centralizing control within sie. siea has always had a weird bend towards presentation (2d games on psx, ports/remakes on ps2 needing to be collections - which helped kill working designs, and blocking games on ps3 because they didn't look good enough). i think this continues into the modern day where they just never really 'got' handhelds and especially hated the idea of failure. siea never really supported the vita in a strong way, and from what i understand people higher up inside the company seemed tired of its continued existence (though that's definitely more of a recent thing... in the last year and a half or so).

and look at the last five years - the ps3 kinda goes out with a whimper and ps4 localizations are hard to come by initially (partially because of the very late japan launch). all that's there is the ps vita, and it's doing well with its niche audience. and then sony announces it will drop first-party support, but third-parties are totally cool to keep making games for it...! it's a pretty shitty thing, but it's not all bad. there are people within sony who actually do care about those kinds of games and the vita (remember gio corsi at psx 2016 with his vita? seems kind of out of place within the presentation as a whole, almost improvised). it seems that whoever's up in charge and cares about presentation is all about vr right now, probably because they diverted resources to it and a lot of them, and this thing better actually start taking off!

what will always affect a company are the people working there. part of sony's western push is because of the people who were able to get into positions of power where they could create change. and there are definitely people within sony who care about the smaller guys and don't understand why the push for the biggest companies when they're guaranteed anyway. there's people there who understood that the switch actually represented a threat where smaller guys might be able to break away and grow into bigger smaller guys and create a bit of a snowball effect. it may be another 5-10 years before they're in positions of enough power that they can sway things in another direction though.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i don't think it's a matter of negative attention, but rather the lack of attention towards smaller games and publishers from sony recently that's rankled some of those folks, and it has more to do with siea centralizing control within sie. siea has always had a weird bend towards presentation (2d games on psx, ports/remakes on ps2 needing to be collections - which helped kill working designs, and blocking games on ps3 because they didn't look good enough). i think this continues into the modern day where they just never really 'got' handhelds and especially hated the idea of failure. siea never really supported the vita in a strong way, and from what i understand people higher up inside the company seemed tired of its continued existence (though that's definitely more of a recent thing... in the last year and a half or so).

and look at the last five years - the ps3 kinda goes out with a whimper and ps4 localizations are hard to come by initially (partially because of the very late japan launch). all that's there is the ps vita, and it's doing well with its niche audience. and then sony announces it will drop first-party support, but third-parties are totally cool to keep making games for it...! it's a pretty shitty thing, but it's not all bad. there are people within sony who actually do care about those kinds of games and the vita (remember gio corsi at psx 2016 with his vita? seems kind of out of place within the presentation as a whole, almost improvised). it seems that whoever's up in charge and cares about presentation is all about vr right now, probably because they diverted resources to it and a lot of them, and this thing better actually start taking off!

what will always affect a company are the people working there. part of sony's western push is because of the people who were able to get into positions of power where they could create change. and there are definitely people within sony who care about the smaller guys and don't understand why the push for the biggest companies when they're guaranteed anyway. there's people there who understood that the switch actually represented a threat where smaller guys might be able to break away and grow into bigger smaller guys and create a bit of a snowball effect. it may be another 5-10 years before they're in positions of enough power that they can sway things in another direction though.
Very interesting to read and very thoughtful, thanks for writing it.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I doubt Sony would even care if NISA decides to drop PS4 now.
However this might be a problem in the long run if their sales on PS5 or whatever PS in the future becomes insignificant.
It also means they might be slower in supporting the next PS. Early life of console needs these sorts of game to attract hardcore audience.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT:

Yes?

Nintendo was still making deals for 3DS third party games in 2017. Six years after the platform launched and the Switch is never going to have the support the 3DS did.

Sure. They killed wiiu way sooner than expected, what could they do till switch launch?

3DS is the last survivor of an era of sub-hd games.

Little effort, low production costs, the end of an era.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
We can't assume that the ROI would be worth it for all 3rd party games. We need some major day and date releases on all 4 platforms to compare, and then we have to take into account the games whose scope or design are limited by the XB1/PS4 CPUs to begin with. I would imagine there isn't even a thought to develop some like Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed.

I would be highly surprised if they didn't get virtually all the non demanding titles in the future though.

No excuses !
The Switch was designed in mind to allow ease of development and ports of PS4/Xbone games. Again, if demading games such as Wolfenstein the New Colossus can run on Switch, pretty much 99% of games out there can. Period.

When it comes to the ROI, we're not talking about games that need to be developed from scratch here. So the ROI will be there in most cases. And so far, all 3rd party devs were pretty positive when it comes to their games sales performance on Switch. So when a game like Burnout Paradise Remaster is not on Switch, that's just sad.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. They killed wiiu way sooner than expected, what could they do till switch launch?

3DS is the last survivor of an era of sub-hd games.

Little effort, low production costs, the end of an era.

Nintendo localised and published Monster Hunter Stories after the Switch launched and after Monster Hunter was already coming to PS4/XBO/PC and not Switch.

...and the bolded has no bearing whatsoever on whether Nintendo chooses to support third party games.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The Longest Five Minutes isn't on PS4 AFAIK, it's a Vita game.

Octopath will be exclusive because Square Enix showed no faith in the producer's last IP(Bravely) and Nintendo made it a worldwide success.

EDIT:

Yes?

In terms AAA third party games highly probably. In terms games as a whole the switch will surpass the 3DS quickly and I doubt the game totals will even be close between them.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Crazy for them to call Sony out like that

They sound angry lol.

I don't think they are, but now they can speak more openly and address certain issues.

Before they couldn't even say anything negative about Playstation because it was their only platform: Nintendo was still very closed, 3DS wasn't powerful enough for certain games, Wii U's installed base was small and also it wasn't easy to develop for these platforms, while they already explained why NIS don't release games on Xbox (basically Microsoft doesn't care about them). So even if Sony was treating them poorly, they couldn't complain.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo localised and published Monster Hunter Stories after the Switch launched and after Monster Hunter was already coming to PS4/XBO/PC and not Switch.

...and the bolded has no bearing whatsoever on whether Nintendo chooses to support third party games.

you do understand deals don't come as an afterthought, right?

and you're free to not agree with what I said.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch is a great place for Japanese games and Indies for sure. Those are the type of things Nintendo's base will eat up and they tend to fly under the radar on PS/Xbox where western AAAs dominate most of those bases playtime. PC niche things just get lost since there's so damn many games coming out on Steam and other platforms every week.

Those things can really shine on Switch like they did on Vita, but sell tons more as the install base is so much larger than Vita and growing.

That's the benefit of having a platform holder doing their own thing vs. just copying the other two and putting out a third core gamer box.