• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
They were compromised again!? Man, I really want to pre-order a few titles, but not with this going on. :/

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
They were compromised again!? Man, I really want to pre-order a few titles, but not with this going on. :/

Yeah this stinks.... I'll wait a bit longer. I'll have to go clear out cookies and stuff when I get home too :/ I think I might've ordered on my phone too, so I'll need to find out how to do it through mobile.

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously. All that time to change passwords, get a new credit card, gotta monitor for any unauthorized use, not to mention the possibility of identity theft...what a joke.

For those planning on not buying from NISA anymore, realistically, the potential to this happening can probably be done almost anywhere you shop online. It sucks, but I'm not surprised anymore. Not every company is like Amazon, which I'm sure has a HUGE IT security team. Still, anything is possible online. My card's been hit locally via self checkouts somewhere, so anything is possible.

It's just the reality of tech in the future.

Nov 9, 2017
For those planning on not buying from NISA anymore, realistically, the potential to this happening can probably be done almost anywhere you shop online. It sucks, but I'm not surprised anymore. Not every company is like Amazon, which I'm sure has a HUGE IT security team. Still, anything is possible online. My card's been hit locally via self checkouts somewhere, so anything is possible.

It's just the reality of tech in the future.

Well, it looks like people that went back on the 28th to give them another chance had their info stolen again. Who wants to be the first one to go back and give them a third chance? Just because leaks like these are becoming more common doesn't excuse this company for their negligence.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily I haven't made a NISA purchase since Ys 8. Still that sucks.

That $5 discount though. Totally makes up for possible identity theft and credit card fraud.
Seriously. All that time to change passwords, get a new credit card, gotta monitor for any unauthorized use, not to mention the possibility of identity theft...what a joke.
What could you realistically expect to get though?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Well ideally they would try and make the victims whole (as much as possible in this case) by offering subscription to a monitoring service to help combat identity theft. If they just care about getting customers back in the door then personally $5 ain't gonna cut it.

I think only Equifax did that, and still charged money, despite it actually being social security numbers. Target did too, but they are also a huge company that can afford the free checking service. The only two companies I can think of thst offered it. With credit cards, the onus if on them to make a notice (which they did), and for the users to check their cards for fraud, and decide what to do then. I think of "identity theft" as more access to drivers license, passport, socials, etc. Credit card fraud happens all the time. It's VERY tough on small companies, I can imagine.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Well ideally they would try and make the victims whole (as much as possible in this case) by offering subscription to a monitoring service to help combat identity theft. If they just care about getting customers back in the door then personally $5 ain't gonna cut it.
Fair enough. I dont think that this solution is common however.

I think only Equifax did that, and still charged money, despite it actually being social security numbers. Target did too, but they are also a huge company that can afford the free checking service. The only two companies I can think of thst offered it. With credit cards, the onus if on them to make a notice (which they did), and for the users to check their cards for fraud, and decide what to do then. I think of "identity theft" as more access to drivers license, passport, socials, etc. Credit card fraud happens all the time. It's VERY tough on small companies, I can imagine.
I think Sony offered this as well (at least in some countries) during the PSN hack in 2011.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony offered this as well (at least in some countries) during the PSN hack in 2011.

I think they did? Still, another huge company that can afford it.

I'm just going to use Paypal, going forward. Breeches can happen anywhere, like that Have I Been Pwoned site found another 3000 breeched sites with emails. You can't win :/

Nov 9, 2017

Sure, the data leaked might not be SSNs but it can certainly contribute towards identity theft. If you're going to ask people to provide that information then you are responsible for it, a simple sorry and token credit isn't enough in my book. Large companies certainly aren't immune from ignoring security issues as well, but it doesn't matter if security is "too tough" for small companies - the data is out there either way.

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
I got hit too, but my credit card company declined all the charges since they didn't fit my usage pattern. I have a special credit card I use just for the internet, and I expect it to get compromised...which it does every year or two. No big deal.

Credit monitoring is a joke tho. Everyone should assume that all their personal information is a matter of public record...because it is. The only safe route is to freeze your credit with all the credit reporting companies. I did that after the Equifax hack, and you all should too. If enough people do that, maybe they will fix their hopelessly broken system.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I just learned of this recently. I had my credit card hacked 1 month ago and updated my order via another credit card on phone. I think I'm safe as I made those pre-orders last year, but still, surprised NISA got compromised. Might start using paypal from now on.