• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
an important message from your pal Sonic

I am saying this one time and one time only, there will NEVER be a chance for you to recapture the magic of purchasing a brand new Sega DreamCast. 9/9/99 or die, motherfucker. I called on you to serve in the console war and you traitors bailed.
This wasn't just a console for the 21st Century, this was THE console for the 21st century. This was a revolution incarnate in an off-white box. You think you deserve to relive the thrill of using a built-in 56k modem to grind all night with gamers from around the fucking planet in Phantasy Star Online? Where were you when we needed you? While we were changing the entire fucking GAMING INDUSTRY by bringing everyone online multiplayer you philistines were apparently content playing locally on your goddamn PS2s like a bunch of luddites.

Now you nostalgia drones are all boned up because Sony is doing what Sony always does: ripping off Nintendo. Every time one of our inferior rivals decides to rehash their glory years with a tiny retro console, you sheep bleat about wanting a DreamCast Classic. Problem is our system is already a motherfucking classic. Sega DreamCast is a L-E-G-E-N-D. We aren't going to sell out our legacy because you didn't have your shit together in the '90s.
Why do you even want this abomination when you have already pillaged my grave? "Oh great Shenmue is on Steam now!" SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Sure, we practically bankrupted ourselves to throw $50 Million dollars behind Yu Suzuki so he could INVENT SANDBOX GAMING but hey, glad you've got an extra $20 two decades later to plunk down to see if it was worth the hype.

truth to power here

c76d068b0f786baeed0d60aad23ad8aa1981019e.gif[

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I just want something the size of a CDX that can play old CD games :(. Doesn't have to be a mini. Just let me play Sega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast games on it!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'm hoping some day we can at least get a FPGA-based system that can run Dreamcast games. The various HDMI methods are dodgy at best and expensive at worst, and composite looks awful on my TV.

The Dreamcast is in this unfortunate in-between zone where it games look a bit more detailed than I'd like to play on a CRT but low resolution enough that playing on a flat panel display is rough.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just a reminder that sega has been doing retro consoles since the dream cast day in brazil. Nintendo is the one rip-off in this case. Sega does what nintendon't indeed.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its facts.

I bought a DC in '99, and yeah, sadly not everyone did though it initially did well. Sony sold hot air for over a year and got away with it. Though granted, the PS1 made some really fucking great waves around the millenium turn. Sony did support their console for a long ass time which was unheard of.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Oh I'd totally buy a Dreamcast Classic.

Just the NAOMI ports alone would make it a must.

Although I also look forward to the Ages team tackling these games on Switch, just wish they speed the hell up with their releases.

Oct 25, 2017
"why didn't you fuckers buy a dreamcast after we royally ass blasted you with shit tier scam consoles before?
Why didn't you trust us with your money?!"

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just letting you know that there are people who are 19 and 20 who weren't or were barely alive back then to buy one. Fuck ya' dreamcast

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Cringe-worthy.

Just like the Dreamcast, I guess.
This post is bad.

The Dreamcast was freaking amazing if you played it on release. Online gaming, open world gaming, 2K sports, and a ton of bad ass games in such a short period of time. I bought a PS2 too but the DC was way ahead of the curve when it came out.

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Releasing a console with Zero marketing until a week after launch is always a blueprint for success /s They dug their own grave. They owe it to us to bring it back

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I recall standing out in line for the PS2 launch at Target and over the course of the evening, as I made many temporary 'line friends', I was stunned at how practically none of these gamers owned a Dreamcast.

It was both illuminating and depressing.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I just want something the size of a CDX that can play old CD games :(. Doesn't have to be a mini. Just let me play Sega CD, Saturn and Dreamcast games on it!

in all honesty, most retro scenes with disc based systems seem to be going into SD/drive less directions - it's been mixed for me so far but i like newer options like the PCE one that don't require gutting said drive (but they don't come cheap)

I'm hoping some day we can at least get a FPGA-based system that can run Dreamcast games. The various HDMI methods are dodgy at best and expensive at worst, and composite looks awful on my TV.

The Dreamcast is in this unfortunate in-between zone where it games look a bit more detailed than I'd like to play on a CRT but low resolution enough that playing on a flat panel display is rough.

yeah most folks now use the hanzo (sp?) but for me what's really in between in visiting that library is the feeling that it was right before dual analogs - you just feel yourself reaching to change camera angles in some titles

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck I can TASTE it, all these different kinds of salts, yet all from a same source!

BTW I was too young and broke to buy a DC on day one, so yeah, sorry about that I guess!

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
nobdoy be friends with this person
This post is bad.

The Dreamcast was freaking amazing if you played it on release. Online gaming, open world gaming, 2K sports, and a ton of bad ass games in such a short period of time. I bought a PS2 too but the DC was way ahead of the curve when it came out.

I blame the control. I didn't get a Dreamcast until 2012 I think, when I bought it to check Shenmue. Trying to play Shenmue (or any other game) with that controller was an awful experience

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Considering Sony fucked up making a classic version of an actually good console, i am happy Sega does not want to try(and succeed) to fuck up a classic version of a shitty console like the Dreamcast.

Besides, imagine 2 years after the DC classic, Nintendo releases the GC Classic with all the good dreamcast games in their superior GC form.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This post is bad.

DC was absolutely more fun than PS2 during the year 2000, until early 2001. Short but sweet. The DC lifespan was my favourite era of videogames. I met a guy I hadn't seen since college and who's writing for dutch IGN now, DC eventually came up and we kind of agreed.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
"why didn't you fuckers buy a dreamcast after we royally ass blasted you with shit tier scam consoles before?
Why didn't you trust us with your money?!"

man what
Sega CD takes shit but had a dope library for a peripheral, ill fight anyone who says Saturn didn't have great games

..ill give you 32x though

Is this a Ukresistance spoof?

feels like tribute

Just letting you know that there are people who are 19 and 20 who weren't or were barely alive back then to buy one. Fuck ya' dreamcast

BE BORN EARLIER

Hate to break the news but the Genesis was Sega's glory days. It was downhill ever since.

for shareholders? yes
gaming though, you're crazy wrong here

Releasing a console with Zero marketing until a week after launch is always a blueprint for success /s They dug their own grave. They owe it to us to bring it back

is this a serious post? at least here in the states, 9/9/99 had a massive push - they kept it going with insane shit like space channel 5 on MTV too

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I didn't bail, Sonic. I served with pride. I'll never forget the magic I felt when I bought the Dreamcast at launch. I did eventually get a PS2, but it just wasn't the same. And it's never been the same since, to be honest.

And no, the Dreamcast was not my first console. I had a NES, SNES, Megadrive and PS1 before that, so it wasn't "first console nostalgia syndrome". It was just that damn good.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Sega will release a mini console in 2019, though.
And it's based on the highest selling Sega console of all time*. So I can live without the Dreamcast. I'm good.
It's the Mega Drive!

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What?

Sega promoted the hell out of the DC before it launched here in the States, evidenced by the fact that the initial release of the console was very strong.
man what
Sega CD takes shit but had a dope library for a peripheral, ill fight anyone who says Saturn didn't have great games

..ill give you 32x though

feels like tribute

BE BORN EARLIER

for shareholders? yes

is this a serious post? at least here in the states, 9/9/99 had a massive push - they kept it going with insane shit like space channel 5 on MTV too

Must be just a canadian thing then...

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The third party output on the DC for that first year was sublime.

And getting all those arcade fighters that were damn-near pixel-perfect ports was truly awesome.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
for shareholders? yes

Nope. I was there for them all. Genesis was a monster.
Phantasy Star series
Shining series
Fucking Shinobi
Streets of Rage
The greatest Contra ever made
Shooters galore!
Third party support!

Dreamcast was an arcade port machine for the most part, with a few original games. Third party support was a major meh.

You had to be there. ;)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
yeah most folks now use the hanzo (sp?) but for me what's really in between in visiting that library is the feeling that it was right before dual analogs - you just feel yourself reaching to change camera angles in some titles

https://www.beharbros.com/akura

This one is $85 which is a bit too pricey for my blood.

Other alternatives can be found around $30 on Amazon but the reviews I've read are troubling to say the least.

Honestly maybe I should just slum it on composite for a bit and just sell off the whole lot after I've gotten my fill one last time.