• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I blame the control. I didn't get a Dreamcast until 2012 I think, when I bought it to check Shenmue. Trying to play Shenmue (or any other game) with that controller was an awful experience
I said at time of release. But that year or so that the DC was alive is one of my favorite times in gaming.

A lot of what the dreamcast did was copied by others and of course improved upon. It wouldn't have the same impact 10+ years later.

DC was absolutely more fun than PS2 during the year 2000, until early 2001. Short but sweet. The DC lifespan was my favourite era of videogames. I met a guy I hadn't seen since college and who's writing for dutch IGN now, DC eventually came up and we kind of agreed.
That was an awesome time in gaming for me. I will admit that the PS2 was pretty weak until MGS2 came out but it was lights out afterwards. I went from the DC experience to the PS2 GOAT library. That was pretty awesome. And even the complementary consoles like the cube and the xbox were awesome. Xbox was necessary for Halo, which doesn't seem like a big deal now but people lost their shit over that at the time. And the Cube is the best complementary system of all time. I think I got a brand new console with a game and second controller for like 99 dollars less than 2 years after it launchd and got a handful of fun games (Monkey Ball was lights out) with it as well.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I was there for them all. Genesis was a monster.
Phantasy Star series
Shining series
Fucking Shinobi
Streets of Rage
The greatest Contra ever made
Shooters galore!
Third party support!

Dreamcast was an arcade port machine for the most part, with a few original games. Third party support was a major meh.

You had to be there. ;)

I was there and that first year the DC got glorious arcade ports (many of them pretty much perfect) and plenty of solid third party games.

Sure, the Mega Drive/Genesis is overall the better system but given the respective lifespans of the consoles, that's to be expected.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I bought my Dreamcast classic Sonic! The Dreamcast is my favorite console of all time. When Sega died, I was at a loss because I didn't really play Nintendo or Sony stuff like that. Xbox was new so I didn't believe in it but bought it anyways for Otogi and yeah I did Nintendo handhelds because... everyone did, but I did want a Game Gear. I mostly stuck to the Sega stuff when I could and wanted a Saturn for Nights, but I was a kid so it was too expensive so we got an N64 which I did enjoy a lot.

I had all the consoles, but my Dreamcast is what I poured all my hours into with PSO, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, Third Strike, Marvel, Guilty Gear, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, and so many more amazing titles. I ended up getting a Gamecube purely because Sega started porting all of their games to it so I was treating it the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast which is funny because they both sold poorly.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Phantasy Star series
Shining series
Fucking Shinobi
Streets of Rage
Shooters galore!
Third party support!

Dreamcast was an arcade port machine for the most part, with a few original games. Third party support was a major meh.

You had to be there. ;)

had a near launch Genesis, thanks - and you left off a ton of stuff but more importantly?

-capcom alone had some of their finest output ever on DC
-lol at revering shmups (as you should) but passing on the DC, much less JP Saturn library aka some of the finest the genre's had
-shining force tied up on Saturn (and it was amazing)
-phantasy star is an all time favourite series of mine but you really should've stuck with that team for skies of arcadia

it's never too late to stop sleeping

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you even want this abomination when you have already pillaged my grave? "Oh great Shenmue is on Steam now!" SO HAPPY FOR YOU! Sure, we practically bankrupted ourselves to throw $50 Million dollars behind Yu Suzuki so he could INVENT SANDBOX GAMING but hey, glad you've got an extra $20 two decades later to plunk down to see if it was worth the hype.

This is great.

Oct 26, 2017
Dreamcast was amazing for a very short time. Sega's output at the time was stellar, but already people were asking for games with more "content" and all the fantastic arcade games couldn't cut it.

A theoretical classic box could have some of the best games ever made.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I love the DC, I don't think I need a classic. Many of the best games have been ported elsewhere, sometimes many times over, and they're not going to fill it with the weirdo niche stuff I'd actually like to revisit.

Shenmue 1&2, Jet Set Radio, Rez, Crazy Taxi, Code Veronica, Soulcalibur, Sonic Adventure & Sonic Adventure 2 etc have all had rereleases.

Stuff like MvC2, Virtua Tennis 2, Metropolis Street Racer etc ain't getting licensed again.

Really they just need to remaster Skies Of Arcadia & Power Stone 1+2.

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
I'm happy with no retro dreamcast console bc I still have mine and thats all that matters.

If you never owned one, but want to comment on it based on youtube videos/commentary or random gamer articles. That's fine because I actually don't care at all

If you bought one decades later and are critical of stuff like the controller and are ignorant on how microsoft ripped off its DNA for the XBOX. That's fine because I actually don't care at all

There will never be a feeling like when this console released, and what it was trying to (and did) accomplish. You won't find anyone trying to convince you, because back in September (or christmas!) of '99 it already convinced us... Or '98 if you were in East Asia or a grown ass person at the time who wants to stunt on pedantry

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Sega lost me already with the Saturn and it's poor support. After this debacle i had to beg to my parents buying me a Playstation.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
dreamcast was okay i guess. probably great for multiplayer focused people. and it had some great games for sure

but i mean i dont regret not having one. i got a ps1 and then later a ps2!

like christmas 1999 i got final fantasy 9 and chrono cross and played nothing else besides starcraft for practically an entire year. thats value

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
They could just make a NAOMI into a classic console case and i would buy it

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
The DC would be the PERFECT mini-console. A great system with a relatively small library so choosing the best wouldn't that tough. It has the right amount of nostalgia to really make a decent buy especially for those too young or disinterested at the time.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Is there anything left from the DC catalog that hasn't been ported and improved upon?

a few gems yeah - but your point is taken, way more of DCs library has been ported than, say, the Saturn tragically

I got mine in 98, too. Y'all 99 adopters were LTTP.

harsh, but fair

Sega lost me already with the Saturn and it's poor support. After this debacle i had to beg to my parents buying me a Playstation.

yeah i talk shit but this was me too - i balked at the $400 pricetag in '95 and only really jumped in around 2014 or so...wish idve gotten in a few years earlier, but prices on games are insane now

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey now! I died for the SEGA cause. I owned the Master System, The Genesis, the Pico a Staurn and a Dreamcast! Give me mini. I earned it.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
People on that Dreamcast has the best launch ever shit don't recognize that the original launch in November 1998 was DIRE.
Honestly I had stopped paying attention to Sega with the Saturn (shame on me) and literally 120% of next gen hype was devoted to the PS2 so the DC came out of nowhere for me.

It looked awesome so I got one shortly after launch and it just kept blowing me away. Some of it makes no sense because I had played online games on the PC but for me it was really novel to play NBA2K and Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast. Stuff that was not really matched by other consoles until much later on. I doubt Sega could have kept it up but the amount of content for that initial year and a half run (or whatever it was) just seemed non-stop. It was such a fun time.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
My favorite Sonic Sez segment was when he said "piracy was blamed for the failure of the Dreamcast, but while it was a factor, the true culprit was undeserved hype for the inferior PlayStation 2 and I'm still bitter about it in 2018 and haven't liked a Sony home console since."

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Oh man a Dreamcast classic woukd be awesome, Soul Calibur Jet Set PSO Skies of Arcadia Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2 Sega GT Powerstone Mars Matrix Chu Chu Rocket Shenmue Tech Romancer KOF Dream Match 99 Bangai-O CVS2 MOTW Grandia 2 damn

Also Blue Stinger lol

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast had a ridiculous amount of good games for only being around for ~ 2 years. It makes me sad thinking about what could've been.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast was the first console I bought at launch. Therefore I am better than everyone who didn't get one at all.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Phantasy Star series
Shining series
Fucking Shinobi
Streets of Rage
Shooters galore!
Third party support!

You had to be there. ;)

I mean, the Genesis was also highly lauded for being the first home console to really deliver the "arcade experience". The Dreamcast would have probably had the same sort of legacy of the Genny if it lived as long.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Love this post and some more of the articles there lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Friendly reminder the VMU still is the best idea ever and fuck cloud saves.

Cringe-worthy.

Just like the Dreamcast, I guess.
I'm reporting this post.
Is there anything left from the DC catalog that hasn't been ported and improved upon?
Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
Dynamite Deka
Cosmic Smash
Segagaga
Rent a Hero nº1 (OG xbox does not count)
OG Bangai-O
Cannon Spike
Plasma Sword
Heavy Metal Geomatrix and Spawn: The Demon's Hand
L.O.L.
OG Maken X
Project Justice
both Power Stones (PSP repack does not count)
Psychic Force 2012 (psx port looks bad)
Soul Calibur 1 (XBLA port does not have mission mode wtf)
Space Channel 5 (the first one)
Tech Romancer
Frame Gride
probably half a dozen racing games I never ended up playing

One could argue PSO and Skies of Arcadia too, since the GC is also kinda dead (and I think GC SoA is hard to find?), though Blue Burst lives on PC.