• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Assuming we ignore most games that got a recent port, what would the 20 games be? It would mostly be Sega and Capcom games

Sonic Adventure 1 or 2 or both (Just cuz)
Skies of Arcadia
Chu Chu Rocket
Power Stone 1 or 2 or both
Legacy of Kain
Dynamite Cop 2
VF3
Fighting Vipers 2
Heavy Metal
Ikaruga or Gigawing 2
A proper release of Propeller Arena
Project Justice
Code Veronica or Blue Stinger or Ill Bleed
Fur Fighters or Outtrigger
Cannon Spike
Some Racing game (Maybe San Francisco Rush 2049)
Virtua Tennis
Cosmic Smash
Rayman 2
Zombies Revenge

Sega Swirl (Bonus game)
A translated version of Segaga (Crazy Wish)
Typing of the Dead is unlocked if you plug in a USB keyboard

And if we do include ported games then of course games like Space Channel 5, Rez, and Jet Set Radio get included.

Games that I want that no one else wants

Charge and Blast
Twinkle Star Sprites
Puyo Puyo Fever
Bangai O

Last edited:

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
I recently pulled my DC out of storage. None of my tvs have VGA and the component cables look bad on my HD TV. What should I do?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
the guy sounds so bitter and and angry that i can't tell if it's a legit fanboy or satire.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Too much attitude: Check
Poorly thought out: Check
Hasbeen: Check
Chilidogs: Check

Yeah, that's Sonic.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I got a Dreamcast long after it was dead. All I remember about it is the d-pad on the controller destroyed my thumb when I played Guilty Gear X.

RNGesus

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
I had a launch day Dreamcast. Made my very firsts posts on IGN with it. I should have kept it but I got dumb and sold it a long time ago.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
man i love me some cosmic smash

Why would I buy a console with a controller that awful?

yeah after the GOAT Saturn model 2 pad it was a huge step back...like i get the need for the VMU slot but the cable placement & ergonomics were not good

Lol dreamcast, it was boring then and it is boring now

if you find such an incredible library (from a few short years) boring you either didn't explore it or are, yourself, boring

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I'm sorry I was negative eleven days old when the Dreamcast came out, should've bought one from the womb

u could've tried

sonic spent nearly 2 decades trying to tell y'all these facts nicely

Man I miss UK resistance

What a site that was

A lot of people showing their ass with garbage taste, btw

BLUE SKIES FOREVER~
words to live by

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be there day 1 (like I was on 9/9/99). My wishlist:
  1. Crazy Taxi
  2. Sonic Adventure
  3. Sonic Adventure 2
  4. Power Stone (1 or 2)
  5. Virtua Fighter 3
  6. Sega Rally 2
  7. Virtua Tennis
  8. Soul Calibur
  9. Shenmue 1
  10. Shenmue 2
  11. Skies of Arcadia
  12. Jet Set Radio
  13. Resident Evil Code Veronica
  14. Marvel Vs Capcom 2
  15. Metropolis Street Racer
  16. Ikaruga
  17. House of the Dead 2
  18. Dynamite Cop
  19. Chu Chu Rocket
  20. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (or SF3)

May 22, 2018
I was there on 9/9/99, midnight launch even! Was there with my three best friends waiting it out in the cold.

Anyone living in central California at that time might remember the great storm that came that night, the one where lightning struck a tree in the Los Padres forest and it didn't stop burning for weeks. We thought the night was ruined when the Software Etc we had our preorders at lost power, forcing the employees to handwrite each and every transaction. It took forever, and people were getting quite upset.

Finally after hours of waiting I got home and played Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure for hours, then slept for a couple more and went to school. Longest school day of my life.

Honestly it was a great and fun experience, and I have a lot of fond memories tied to the Dreamcast. I wish they would release a classic system as I'd be all over that.

Nov 3, 2017
Heh, Hard Drive is great. Saw this thread earlier and had an urge to visit UKResistance, Good to see i'm not alone in that :)

Loved the Dreamcast but that controller was a travesty. I know i didn't find it that bad years ago but i uncovered one the other day and all the memories came back. Forget Nintendo thumb, Dreamcast Thumb was worse! So many great games though and i still want to drag out my Samba De Amigo mat & Maracas again sometime even though the sensitivity and recognition of your movements can be dreadful when you get a bit too enthusiastic.

Blue Skies Forever indeed.

Boss-

Apr 20, 2018
I brought 2 Sonic. I had to invest in another after your controller ports failed me. FAILED ME DURING A LATE NIGHT RAID IN PSO. Thanks for nothing Sonic.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The Dreamcast had good games but I was never going to pay full price for a system whose controller looked like that.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
If you never used the vga adapter to pñay virtua tennis on a huge projector screen you are already dead

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Honestly for me at this point, the moment Sega and Capcom respectively port the Sonic Adventure games and Mars Matrix to the Switch, I have no reason to go back to the original system.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I know it won't happen, but I would hope a hypothetical classic would include a lightgun to play all of those arcade shooters that are no longer playable on modern tv's, and a microphone for Seaman.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
tfw you spent way too much money importing the Japanese PSOv2 to play online with all your friends back when it was current.

I miss you Dreamcast.

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
From the launch, to the Official Dreamcast Magazine and its demo discs, the start of the modern day internet surfing, the VMU, keyboard, light gun, a games library that was so good it hurt....

No console will ever replicate the sheer emotions the Dreamcast induced for me. It really was one of those times in gaming where you had to have been there, at just the right age. That's why it will always be remembered as something very special.

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Why do you guys have to be so cringe-inducing :(

why are only the herbs cringing =\

If you never used the vga adapter to pñay virtua tennis on a huge projector screen you are already dead

damn, that must've been a sight. i played power stone 2 that way once and it was insane

still hope to take part in a 10 player Saturn bomberman game like that one day

Honestly for me at this point, the moment Sega and Capcom respectively port the Sonic Adventure games and Mars Matrix to the Switch, I have no reason to go back to the original system.

yeah Mars matrix not being ported around like ikaruga is such a huge loss honestly

I get that's its satire, but that is some ancient butthurt over the ps2.

i mean, we all had PS2's and everyone knows Sega killed Sega

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I was there and that first year the DC got glorious arcade ports (many of them pretty much perfect) and plenty of solid third party games.

Sure, the Mega Drive/Genesis is overall the better system but given the respective lifespans of the consoles, that's to be expected.

9/9/99 was amazing. Soul Calibur being better than the arcade! And man I loved me some Hydro Thunder.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
an important message from your pal Sonic

truth to power here

c76d068b0f786baeed0d60aad23ad8aa1981019e.gif[

Best message ever. But yeah in 1999 I was 11 years old. It is kind of the reason I could not live its glory.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder how well a Dreamcast mini would do with full online server support via wifi/ethernet.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Even if there was one, if you expect a ~$99 price point, we're at least 5 years away from having hardware powerful enough to emulate a Dreamcast for that price.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This. For any fan of arcades at the time the Dreamcast truly was a dream come true.
It was great for anyone who liked gaming.

Even for sports fans NBA2k was the most innovative sports game in a long time when it came out.

Skies was an amazing rpg adventure. So was Grandia (though not as good as skies).

Some parts of shenmue fell flat but it was the most advanced game out for years to come.

Crazy Taxi was fun for anyone with a pulse. Along with a lot of other great games.

And as you said a ton of arcade ports and fighters.

It was just a great almost two years for DC owners.

Jun 7, 2018
I think where they went wrong is, they released the Sega Genesis, Game Gear, 32X, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, and the Sega Dreamcast in such a short period of time I don't think anyone had the time or money to keep up. When the Dreamcast came around, I think people didn't want to feel like they got burned with a console purchase that could be obsolete within 2 years