• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
When he enters the ship.

I'm just trying to picture the free motion controls with the Move Controllers and having a hard time doing so.
Oh that. To me, he was just right next to the ship and if they didn't animate you getting into the ship 1:1 doesn't mean your overall movement will just be teleportation.

Every PSVR game with free locomotion has used the physical move button on the controller to move. You just press and keep it held down and your character moves forward. If they mimicked the movement of Skyrim, then you'll turn your hand in the direction you want to move. It's a really good substitute for analog sticks.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
When he enters the ship you can see that VR-UI-teleporting-curve.

I'm just trying to picture the free motion controls with the Move Controllers and having a hard time doing so.

Not sure if Skyrim VR for PS4 had free movement (got an Oculus myself), but it will likely have the same options. Most VR games default to teleport as it helps ease those not familiar or comfortable with VR free movement.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
When he enters the ship you can see that VR-UI-teleporting-curve.

Most VR games features both....as some players cant handle smooth movement..

You despise teleporting movement but it is an important option needed to ensure ppl with less vr legs can play it too.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
So looking at that footage it's a teleport system and not free movement? That would be kind of disappointing.

From the Engadget article

Walking involves a teleportation system that serves its purpose just fine, though there are a handful of other ways to navigate new planets and the surrounding interstellar sea. First, there's the jetpack, which is loads of fun yet slightly disorienting in VR, with the most potential to cause headset-related nausea.

But then the polygon article suggests there are more options

Hello Games is offering alternate control schemes that don't require Move controllers. Players will be able to freely move around space with a DualShock 4, if they want to. And players should use No Man's Sky's VR mode as an excuse to revisit the game. Experiencing it in virtual reality was refreshing, edging us closer to the grand promise of No Man's Sky that Hello Games continues to deliver on in free updates.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Free movement in VR gives me wobbly legs. The only exception is if I'm flying in the game. But if I'm moving on the ground smoothly, like I'm hovering, it makes me unsure of my legs. Weird sensation.

I can get used to it after a few minutes though, like in SKyrim.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
When i got the exotic ship i wanted, Little did i know months after i will be physically entering it and physically using it's thrusters myself as i fly into space and beyond.

What a time to be alive in gaming.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these impressions are glowing. It's exactly as I would've imagined it. The sense of scale, the feeling of being dwarfed by a massive universe. I've read several at this point and they all seem to have a certain consistency to them. There are just so many facets to contemplate when you introduce virtual reality. The thought of just piloting my Hauler in open space for hours in a random star system is enough to get me excited.

You think freighters looked massive on a TV screen? Man...

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Think of Skyrim, Borderlands, Solus Project, Xing, and basically every move related game that isn't a stationary experience.

hope there's AIM support as well....the player character in normal version of NMS doesn't really uses 2-hands for guns and tools so Aim support should okay i guess.

Though, if i am going to be play in VR, i'll rather just use a Dual shock. It can be tiring to play with motion controllers at my elderly age of.........36.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the posted stories Sean says specifically with the VR update they were required to go through everything and optimize the game. Just hope that doesnt mean they are downgrading something.

I imagine some graphical features will be scaled back, especially the terrain tesselation. Hopefully not but I'll wait and see. Hopeully not the resolution!

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
One of the posted stories Sean says specifically with the VR update they were required to go through everything and optimize the game. Just hope that doesnt mean they are downgrading something.

In the Eurogamer article, they say that there's a downgrade in order to get the game on VR: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-02-no-mans-sky-is-absolutely-stellar-in-vr

Eurogamer's VR expert played on a PS4 Pro and saw a visual downgrade from the base game when playing with a headset, but not sizeable enough to balance out the positives when playing in VR

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Any good offers on the PC version? Already have the PS4 version but might look into double dipping if the price is good

Listai

50Ā¢
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually shocked they got this to run on PS4. Even on Pro at 1080p the game is a bit of a mess frame rate-wise.

Now to find a friend that owns a PSVR.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually shocked they got this to run on PS4. Even on Pro at 1080p the game is a bit of a mess frame rate-wise.

12670.jpg

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
God.. I wish they would open up the universe space engine-style and let me crash into the sun.. in VR

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I think the cover confirms planetary rotation.

Look at the helmet, in it is reflected the NEXT cover. With two differences.
1. The group is standing beneath a night sky instead of broad daylight.
2. The planet in front of the group in the NEXT cover, is now BEHIND the observer in which helmet the NEXT cover is reflected.

The ATLAS interface is in the same position, but the planet has clearly moved.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Watching a recent interview they said that the VR implementation has forced a massive overhaul that has improve all version of the game as it has been greatly optimised.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Tangentially-related, but I finally decided to try out NMS again - I bought it at launch, and put about 15-20 hours in. Enjoyed it for what it was, but it was a bit thin.

I played each of the first few big updates for an hour or so, and restarted completely for Next (I think)...but hadn't played since August. I'm floored by how much more...compelling it is now. I've been sick the last few days, and sunk another 12 hours in without even noticing. It was always a striking game, visually, but the changes have really made it beautiful. Can't wait to try it out in the Vive!

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't the max players now 4. in the helmet reflection I see 4 players. Plus the player we see. That would be 5 now, would it not?

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Isn't the max players now 4. in the helmet reflection I see 4 players. Plus the player we see. That would be 5 now, would it not?

Murray specifically said he wasn't saying anything about player count until it was finalized. So while we can almost certainly conclude it will be more than 4, don't use this cover released way before the update is even finished as evidence of anything in the final product.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Murray specifically said he wasn't saying anything about player count until it was finalized. So while we can almost certainly conclude it will be more than 4, don't use this cover released way before the update is even finished as evidence of anything in the final product.

oh I'm not! :) I was just playing along with the idea of looking for things in the cover. that's all. :)

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
If nothing else, I'd say the background terrain would be a huge step up, which is the biggest upgrade I want (not constantly running into asteroid fields in space would be nice too). It shows a nice, flat terrain with irregular, angular stone formations sticking out of the ground, neither of which the current terrain generator would show. The current game still reminds me a bit of early terrain generators from the 90's using perlin noise, with occasional bizarre strands and floating islands on top. It doesn't really show weathering or geological evolution, or even cratering as far as I recall. As much as I enjoyed the game from launch, realizing that every planet was going to be the same lumpy perlin noise terrain was a letdown. I had been hoping for bizarre crystal, lava, and ice worlds too.

But it's just artwork, I'm not reading anything into it as much as I'd like to. I don't expect it to get markedly more complex with VR happening, though it would be nice. My actual guess for mystery number 3 is a Switch port, since they've got it all optimized now.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Had the game since day 1 and have dabbled here and there but I've been holding out hope that VR would arrive and I'm overjoyed that it is.