• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this will be the update that makes it run decently on the PS4 Pro 🤞

I just hope NMS Online is an option that I can turn off. I want my own universe, free from community events or seeing other people. I see other people all day at work. I want to disappear into my own galaxy when I plug in at the end of the day.
Im sure it'll be optional like the current online is. I'm fully with you though, I like the solitude of NMS, I don't need or want people in it.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Didn't Sean suggest this was the case? I feel like they would have liked to announce all the aspects of the update at once. All we know right now is they improving MP.

I hope next gen we get a sequel, or next gen specific updates, especially VR.
All I want are mountains about 50x taller (like real life) and old growth trees hundreds of feet tall. And denser foliage. And more creature behaviors. And fleet battles. That's it

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if it's been answered but do we know anything else about the update beyond the online?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
They made it sound like they were going to explain the online and then later explain the other 2/3 of the update, but when is that explanation coming?

Still don't know what this means for the game.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I just hope NMS Online is an option that I can turn off. I want my own universe, free from community events or seeing other people. I see other people all day at work. I want to disappear into my own galaxy when I plug in at the end of the day.
In my 50+ hours I think I only chanced upon another player once, and he quickly ran away. It's a truly vast Galaxy and the odds of randomly running into another player are really low, just as Sean Murray originally said. I think there is an offline mode too.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Sean suggest this was the case? I feel like they would have liked to announce all the aspects of the update at once. All we know right now is they improving MP.

I hope next gen we get a sequel, or next gen specific updates, especially VR.
No he didn't. The tweet you're thinking of where he's saying their hand was forced was from last year, before NEXT was revealed. They were doing an ARG leading up to NEXT but people somehow got more info faster than they were supposed to and it was going to leak, so Sean announced it early.

The new update was tweeted out by Sean as a response to that old Tweet, likely to give an idea of just how "small" their upcoming "small" update was going to be.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Can we add a poll to this thread so we can gauge how Era feels about NMS now?

I'm sure we both know the results of such a poll. The folks that have played the game and it's subsequent updates have left their thoughts on the matter so far.

But mainly, it'll just another case of serving as platform for those that are still angry at Sean Murray after all this time to vote in a negative matter, just entirely on the basis some folks are still angry at Sean Murray, regardless of the current quality of the game.

We already have a currently existing thread on people's perception of Hello Games and Sean Murray. We don't need to turn this thread into a duplicate of that other one.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
I would love multi biome planets, building drones to repair the freighters and build merchant routes between planets or galaxies.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Can we add a poll to this thread so we can gauge how Era feels about NMS now?
Can we not? Every NMS discussion largely still revolves around how we feel about the game's turnaround, rather than talk about the game itself. We have a major new update looming and barely any speculation about what it might include, but plenty of talk about whether *this* release might finally quiet all the naysayers. Tech tip: It won't.

Mar 29, 2018
God, every single f'n developer out there should learn from them how GAAS support should be. Every single update from them could easily be a 40 bucks add-on and they give it to us for free. It's just mind-blowing what they do with this game. This is game extension on a whole new level.

As fucked up as the release was, everything after that impresses me again and again. It's such an incredible good game now.
Minecraft has been doing it this way since 2011 or something and that's exactly what Sean Murray wanted NMS's structure to be modelled on

It's a brilliant structure

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played since launch, but with a vr update I may want to experience this again. I feel like it must feel like a new game compared to the launch version.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
both of the announced updates can be considered different ways to experience the existing game
with that in mind, I suspect the final update will probably be something like substantial new content or a new story

Oct 25, 2017
A full rework of the planet generation would be huge.
Waterfalls.
Caves with some kind of generated design to them (harder enemies, treasure deep inside, etc).

They can put those caves behind the waterfalls.
You know what, immediately after I posted this I thought of this. An all-new planetary generation system, including waterfalls, multi-biom planets, perhaps procedural cities/villages/dead cities? fuuuuuuk!
Scale, water... Elite dangerous/star citizen style universe with planet rotation.
You know before all of these updates, I would have thought changes on this level would have better left for a sequel due to the scale of implementation and reworking involved. But seeing how far the game has come, why not! It could totally work as an update.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect timing with vr update too. I sincerely hope they at least managed the way space works. Playing it so much has hindered my ability to look past the static star systems.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, don't start setting your hopes up. Especially for water, I really don't see how it's possible on this generation of consoles. The demands seem like they would be insane.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Scale, water... Elite dangerous/star citizen style universe with planet rotation.

You know before all of these updates, I would have thought changes on this level would have better left for a sequel due to the scale of implementation and reworking involved. But seeing how far the game has come, why not! It could totally work as an update.

This is probably my most wanted thing, maybe behind just having more stuff to do in space, but I still think that's more likely to end up in NMS2 if that ever happens. There's only been one major re-roll of the planet generation right? Maybe there were two but I can't remember. Actual solar system simulation would be a great fit for how the game is currently designed compared to what they were going for at launch, but I still think that's a huge change for the current game.

One small-ish thing I actually still want: Solar system maps. Right now you have to turn your ship all the way to face a planet before marking it with a waypoint, and if it's totally behind another planet you first have to fly around that planet. Elite has a 2D system map and a 3D Orrery view, Space Engine just has the Orrery but is adding a 2D system map in its next update. I imagine NMS would just have the 2D map since the Orrery wouldn't make sense with the planets currently being static. Elite also has a much simpler list view in the cockpit through which you can waypoint a celestial body or station or whatever, and even just having that in NMS would help; Hello Games could even just do it in the existing Discovery menu.

ntLUBzf.png

53Qo9sl.png

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
What the game should have been at launch

No, it shouldn't have been.... I'm kinda annoyed it is where it is going now. He talked up a single player game that had some online enhancements that weren't intended to be how you played the game but just more like flavor (he emphasized several times it was a single player game). Because the online elements weren't on there everyone who had decided just cause he had promised some online stuff that it was going to be an MP game despite him protesting several times it wasn't (They were going to force it and because the online aspects weren't there at all they could not... so then they whined it wasn't an MP game like proimsed when he never frikking promised it was an MP game!). I remember several times arguing with these people before the game came out that it wasn't what they expected... and then they were surprised it wasn't what they expected (but even less so cause now they couldn't even try to make it into one even though he kept saying it was going to be focused on being an SP game and maybe he'd add MP later if people wanted it... and yes, at one point he did say that). And now HG is catering to that crowd instead of the ones who actually liked the original vision *sigh*.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting to get this game because I'm very unlikely to put huge amounts of time into it twice, have no interest in multilayer or VR so hopefully the third thing is something great.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it shouldn't have been.... I'm kinda annoyed it is where it is going now. He talked up a single player game that had some online enhancements that weren't intended to be how you played the game but just more like flavor (he emphasized several times it was a single player game). Because the online elements weren't on there everyone who had decided just cause he had promised some online stuff that it was going to be an MP game despite him protesting several times it wasn't (They were going to force it and because the online aspects weren't there at all they could not... so then they whined it wasn't an MP game like proimsed when he never frikking promised it was an MP game!). I remember several times arguing with these people before the game came out that it wasn't what they expected... and then they were surprised it wasn't what they expected (but even less so cause now they couldn't even try to make it into one even though he kept saying it was going to be focused on being an SP game and maybe he'd add MP later if people wanted it... and yes, at one point he did say that). And now HG is catering to that crowd instead of the ones who actually liked the original vision *sigh*.

Yeah the online for NMS does absolutely nothing for me so I'm not a fan of them putting even more time into it. VR seems cool but again not something I'm particularly interested in (right now at least). Here's hoping the third part is for more actual game content.