• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really want an update about the update itself. Like, how does it work, what does it actually include, etc. I thought we'd get that around E3. Maybe we did and I just missed it. With the release date being in three weeks, I hope we get some solid info soon.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Haven't played this since the first week of release, but I've held on to the game.
I've decided I'm going to jump back in with the next update, so I'm really looking forward to the details. :D

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has this game fixed EITHER combat or exploration? I don't need both, I just need one. Either make things fun to fight, or make places fun to explore.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Has this game fixed EITHER combat or exploration? I don't need both, I just need one. Either make things fun to fight, or make places fun to explore.

I felt like the addition of Survival Mode really addressed my issues with exploration, which was that it was basically low-risk. Survival Mode made discoveries feel like live savers, and really helped me feel like I was doing *something* when I explored.

Combat got some new tweaks I believe with upgrades too, chiefly new weapon add ons & ship stuff, but I don't think they've added many NPC type things to "fight", you're just defending yourself from predators and pirates.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I felt like the addition of Survival Mode really addressed my issues with exploration, which was that it was basically low-risk. Survival Mode made discoveries feel like live savers, and really helped me feel like I was doing *something* when I explored.

Combat got some new tweaks I believe with upgrades too, chiefly new weapon add ons & ship stuff, but I don't think they've added many NPC type things to "fight", you're just defending yourself from predators and pirates.

Survival mode is excellent. I feel the could have made the start a bit easier. Just getting to your ship can feel impossible. I like it but I'd say it turns a lot of people off which is a shame as its definitely the best way to play.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New email out from Old Gods. Its asking users to submit pictures and portal info on their favorite memories from the Euclid galaxy before Next arrives. Sounds like a reset is coming and they want to archive some shit.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
New email out from Old Gods. Its asking users to submit pictures and portal info on their favorite memories from the Euclid galaxy before Next arrives. Sounds like a reset is coming and they want to archive some shit.

That's what I thought too when I read it.

I've never actually used a portal outside the story one.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Survival mode is excellent. I feel the could have made the start a bit easier. Just getting to your ship can feel impossible. I like it but I'd say it turns a lot of people off which is a shame as its definitely the best way to play.

Yea, I agree 100%. After you get your ship survival mode gets way better.

I'm hoping that the online Co-op will afford you the opportunity to revive friends so it'll make survival a *bit* more bearable in the early stages.

Gonna be real interesting to see if the MP stuff is it's own game mode, or integrated into the standard game modes.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

It's a nice gesture, I just wish they'd done it more than a month away from the inevitable universe reset. Won't give anyone much time to actually go visit these worlds.

That's what I thought too when I read it.

I've never actually used a portal outside the story one.

I don't use them often, but it's fun to dial up a random starga---I mean portal, and see what's on the other side. Also a pretty quick way to make a million credits if you have the fauna scanner upgrades.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
So um, I don't think this was posted yet but there are some very interesting details here:
Screenshot_2018-06-15-22-19-06-156_com.twitter.android.png
Third person and human-like figures to defeat :O

Also:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
3rd person?

Edit : sorry that should have been an exclamation mark.

Sounds like quite the overhaul.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I thought the very same thing FreezePeach & 2Blackcats may have to trawl my ps4 captures. Shame there isn't much time left to do so.

I don't use them often, but it's fun to dial up a random starga---I mean portal, and see what's on the other side. Also a pretty quick way to make a million credits if you have the fauna scanner upgrades.

I've never used a gate at all despite deliberately setting my homebase up a stones throw from one, never thought about randomly dialling one.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Is the game worth playing now? I played it at launch, while it was fun for a few hours it turned out to be very repetitive and pointless.

Anyone here still playing this game? Is the new version any better than the 1.0 version?

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the game worth playing now? I played it at launch, while it was fun for a few hours it turned out to be very repetitive and pointless.

Anyone here still playing this game? Is the new version any better than the 1.0 version?
Adding side quests, base building and a proper main quest really helped with exploration and preventing repetition. Now whenever it reaches that tired point of aimless exploration, you have something more structured to focus on for a little while and it prompts more discoveries

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brodo Baggins

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

I have put about 66 hours into version 1.3, and the new version is much better imo. I still hop in every now and then just to see a few systems when I want to decompress. It's still a very chill experience, but it has a lot more guidance especially in the "mid game" with an actual story you can follow if you want to. There's still a lot I think they need to satisfy more than a nice audience though.

I am hoping NEXT will be the inflection point where this goes from a unique but unrefined experience to something truly great.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I've always said that although each update has significantly improved it, the 1.0 game is still very much its core. Base building helps adds focus to early and late game (as was as freighters), while the new story helps to round out the mid game and the story itself is of sufficient quality to help drive you.

The core of the game remains there though, so while I can say with complete confidence that version 1.3 has massively improved upon 1.0, its added to and improved that core experience not replaced it.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Third person in the NEXT update? Multiplayer?

Yeah. Sounds like I am going to stop playing for now and wait until this update drops.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
So um, I don't think this was posted yet but there are some very interesting details here:

Third person and human-like figures to defeat :O

Yeah the ESRB notice has been out a while. Technically third-person already exists when you're in one of the ground vehicles, but it's possible it means your avatar also.
Fighting human-like figures is the interesting part, but it might just mean multiplayer. Not sure if the ESRB takes MP into account when they write those. Would love if NPCs became mobile though.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
To me it sounds like they want to preserve the worlds, otherwise they wouldn't have asked for the coordinates. A couple of weeks to explore them is not enough.
Maybe they'll only refresh undiscovered worlds.

I have a bunch of screens of cool rock formations but, as a planet hopper, I never bothered writing down coordinates. Can't submit them :(

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
If the game finally looks like the game in the trailer I will be so happy. I wonder if double dipping to play this on the x will be worth it. They have to show something soon, right?
They usually post reveals a week in advance of the patch day.

And I don't think the site for planet entries is for preserving worlds. If they made heavy changes to their procedural generation it will wipe these planets clean. The way they created their PG doesn't allow preservation of outdated PG planets. Don't think they make drastic changes though, although I'd love more realistic planets and more variety.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Wasn't a FOV slider added on PS4 in the last update? Is it still bad even if you adjust it?

I'm not sure about the PS4 version but the PC version's FOV is completely messed up, 100 FOV (max) isn't 100 and is more equivalent to 70-80 and even then it still feels off, like the camera is 1 metre in front of the protagonists head or something.

Also I hope they've done some more optimising because it still runs like shit on PC.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm not sure about the PS4 version but the PC version's FOV is completely messed up, 100 FOV (max) isn't 100 and is more equivalent to 70-80 and even then it still feels off, like the camera is 1 metre in front of the protagonists head or something.

Also I hope they've done some more optimising because it still runs like shit on PC.

I did some comparison shots of the FOV on PS4 pro a while back for another member who asked, when I get chance to find them I'll update if its any help, perhaps with a short clip as well. Obviously no use for your PC question, but shouldn't be hard to find once I get back home

[edit] I can't find the post so I'll post them here again...

In game menu as "60"
JUgFLnL.jpg

In game menu as "100"

hzZghwL.jpg

As I say no help for your PC specific question nor whether the camera is "wrong" and too far away but as a quick example of the differences on PS4 pro

Last edited:

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017

The sense of scale in the game is completely off which probably is the reason why the fov feels so bad. I definitely get what you mean by the camera feels like tis far in front of the player, it's like they have some sort of zoom in by default. Flying close to an asteroid in space is a very good example of the problem, with the normal view they don't look that big, but if you go into photo mode and see the ship next to the asteroid, it's actually MASSIVE.

Another good example is the 3rd person camera for vehicles, they look like toys rather than large heavy vehicles.

Also, not sure if you know already but the in game vsync is very broken on PC and causes huge performance issues, so try disabling it and forcing it on elsewhere. Performance took a pretty big hit with atlas rises as well though so yeah I'm hoping for optimization as well.

Last edited:

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on i need more footage and leaks! You would think if this is getting a physical xbox release there gotta be early leaks.

OP
OP
Brodo Baggins

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Did sand worms and giant beasts ever make it in?

No, but this was semi-acknowledged by a few in game dialogues like one of the space trading guilds being named something like "guild of the space whale". I think they'll get something like that encounter in at some point and hope it's in NEXT, but I doubt it as there are definitely higher priority things to target before then.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Come on i need more footage and leaks! You would think if this is getting a physical xbox release there gotta be early leaks.

Yes I absolutely love seeing all the little tidbits that pop up leading up to a NMS update. Even better when they finally release all the details on said update and the leaked stuff was only just the tip of the iceberg. Can't wait to see everything that's coming in NEXT!

OP
OP
Brodo Baggins

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

Really holding out for some details in this week's Waking Titan Update. The video that accompanies the audio from last week would be freaking sublime. At any rate I expect something more concrete than concept art. We're getting real close, my hype is starting to reach unreasonable levels again XD

OP
OP
Brodo Baggins

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited for it, just not excited for the ocean of people who will undoubtedly come shit up the OT the second it goes live.

Yeah it sucks but I pretty much disconnect from the OT and the NMS subreddit for a month or two after a new update. In Atlas Rises it was both the return of toxicity, and people who kept posting the new exotic planets I hadn't seen yet that convinced me to go on blackout. I think I'm going to do it again this time around.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm finally going to restart from scratch when the new update drops. I've been on the same save file since version 1.0, and every update brings nice new things but introduces weird bugs if you try and keep your old save. The most recent version was giving me fits; teleporters spawning me outside space stations, a broken list of links back to previous systems, quest markers failing to spawn or allow continuation, a base where walls would randomly cease to function as walls (probably owing to going over base complexity). I was loathe to get rid of the hundreds of millions I'd saved up, or my ship(s), or my freighter, but I haven't touched the game in 8+ months and I'm ready for a complete reboot. I couldn't care less about multiplayer; I just hope they've spent some more time tweaking the fauna complexity and biomes. The exploration is what sells this game for me, and as long as they can keep that feeling fresh, I'm down to get lost in a galaxy of possibility.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for it, just not excited for the ocean of people who will undoubtedly come shit up the OT the second it goes live.
If the noises are true about this next update then it will bring the game very close to the "promised" version that drove so many people mad with rage

Hopefully there will be at least some good will about Next from that corner

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I'm finally going to restart from scratch when the new update drops. I've been on the same save file since version 1.0, and every update brings nice new things but introduces weird bugs if you try and keep your old save.
I restarted with every major update. Thought about keeping my save for 1.1 but the regenerated galaxy inevitably screwed up a bunch of stuff. There were NPC buildings floating in midair or embedded in the ground, the lush planet I had saved on was now a barren wasteland, and the game had no idea where I had been prior to arriving in that system. Starting a new game fixed all that. Definitely starting anew with NEXT as well.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm finally going to restart from scratch when the new update drops. I've been on the same save file since version 1.0, and every update brings nice new things but introduces weird bugs if you try and keep your old save.

Same here mate. I couldn't let go of everything that I had done and explored so I kept going with my very first save game. Some of my discoveries were stuffed up and I had issues starting some of the new quest lines so I ended up putting the game down again hoping for a fix. I suppose the best fix would be to start fresh with NEXT.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm hoping the update improves fauna and flora variety.

Perhaps the random name generation as well. Being in a space station and seeing 3 ships with the same Vy'keen or Gek pilot name is kind of funny but annoying. Lol

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess they aren't wanting to hype this up too much too early in case it repeats the same as launch? Week out say this is what is coming to build some hype but nothing unmanageable like launch.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess they aren't wanting to hype this up too much too early in case it repeats the same as launch? Week out say this is what is coming to build some hype but nothing unmanageable like launch.
I mean, we are 20 days away, which is nothing. This game was hyped for 3 years almost. And it's first trailers had the best footage. Im really curious to see what they are able to do with the terrain and animal generation, if they do anything. Im worried because it still has to work on ps4/xbox that they wont be able to do much.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I'm still on my 1.0 save and haven't had any bugs that are specific to old saves. I'll definitely be continuing my old save; the grind is just too heavy to start over unless they redo some of the progression systems.

Jun 20, 2018
Are people still expecting PSVR support? The hints seemed so strong a few months the back but after E3 nobody seems to be talking about it.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Yeah it sucks but I pretty much disconnect from the OT and the NMS subreddit for a month or two after a new update. In Atlas Rises it was both the return of toxicity, and people who kept posting the new exotic planets I hadn't seen yet that convinced me to go on blackout. I think I'm going to do it again this time around.

Yeah the 1.3 OT in the old place was great after a little "bedding in" to go through the new content together and ask questions, I hope we can set some simple ground rules to avoid the usual tired drive by bollocks.

If the noises are true about this next update then it will bring the game very close to the "promised" version that drove so many people mad with rage

Hopefully there will be at least some good will about Next from that corner

At this point the game could come with a patch which delivers a "promised" version tailor made and unique to everyone's perception of what that should have been, a digital soundtrack, some kind words from Hello Games and a physical disc which, when licked could produce a dizzying high and the usual suspects would still join in to remind us how poor launch was, and how much they hate HG.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
I hope we get to encounter actual large creatures in this next update, but I suppose they're focusing more on the multiplayer. I bought the game during this steam sale and I'm loving the first few hours of it so far. Pretty therapeutic.