• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is finally the one I will get back into it with. There's so much added since I played and disliked it at launch.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's odd to discuss it because what developers have in mind for an implementation is wildly different from what others might have and I'm interested to know a little more depth behind the equivalents of "but it would have been great" to see the thought a little more scoped out.

If people think it would have worked no problem I'm interested in understanding how.
Ahh ok. I thought you were asking "Well how would they even work" as in like, logistically they don't make sense so that's why they were cut. I was like "isn't that a moot point since they had them in the game and functioning?" Thanks for clarifying, sorry for the misunderstanding! I would like someone to bring them up to Hello Games again though because I am curious as to what the actual answers to your questions are. Maybe they had predefined loops that they tunneled around in so you could be mining and come across a tunnel and be like "wait... uh oh" or maybe they didn't deform terrain at all so they'd just pop out of nowhere and scare the pants off of you hahahaha

But yeah either way they DID have them working in the game at one point, so it'd be interesting to get the official word on how they worked. Maybe Hello Games can be convinced to put them back in at some point, "too hard not fun" is kind of a lame reason for a creature encounter that's basically entirely optional. Fighting off super high level Sentinels is a major pain in the ass too but they're still in the game (and also a totally optional encounter), if you came across a Sand Worm you could always just not engage and leave them for the people who do want to fight them ):<

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of unreal that these guy went from zero to 4 to 16 on console and 32 player sessions on PC.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in gaming.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original game's first announcement was off-putting to me due to my past experiences with games that promise to be forever games and use large-scale worlds and procedural generation to do it.

That said? VR support will be what pushes this over the line for me. I'll give it a shot for mostly that alone, but my expectations aren't high.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Yeah, not being able to watch planets/moons rise and set remains a big disappointment. As is the lack of star variety, such as (super)giants and binary systems - for a game built on recreating classic SF panoramas, that you can't recreate the most famous one of all is jarring.

planetary rotations happen in a game called Astroneer. it is sort of annoying, actually.

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of unreal that these guy went from zero to 4 to 16 on console and 32 player sessions on PC.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in gaming.

And pushed the graphics fidelity at the same time, AND on PS4 optimized enough to make VR possible. I think you're right, that's probably never been done before.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I want some smaller helmets.

Please, no one's head is that big.

I'm excited to see how they optimized the game to work with PSVR and in turn how much better it runs on non-VR.

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah, not being able to watch planets/moons rise and set remains a big disappointment. As is the lack of star variety, such as (super)giants and binary systems - for a game built on recreating classic SF panoramas, that you can't recreate the most famous one of all is jarring.
planetary rotations happen in a game called Astroneer. it is sort of annoying, actually.
Yeah, they literally said rotation was removed because players didn't "get it", which I take to mean that in testing they found it was more intrusive and unfun than cool and immersive

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Yeah, they literally said rotation was removed because players didn't "get it", which I take to mean that in testing they found it was more intrusive and unfun than cool and immersive

the problem I had in Astroneer is that you'd have to rotate your camera trying to find the planet, and it isnt "where you expect it to be"' so you basically waste time trying to find it every time you are traveling elsewhere.

there's no free exploring in space in Astroneer, though, all you need to do to travel to a planet is clicking on it. In No Man's Sky I can see it being a greater pain than just that since you'll have to keep course correcting without some sort of "auto travel" thing being introduced

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it really matter? They said early on they had planet rotation working but people kept getting lost so they removed it. Star Citizen has it and it doesn't add much imo.
I love it in Elite Dangerous, there's even a moon that orbits its planet very quickly and it gives some really nice views :

That would be much better than static planets and an orbiting fake sun.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, I also want nebulas and other stellar phenomenon. Let me live my Star Trek fantasy dammit!

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I think the main obstacle is that you can't have both planetary rotation and rapid, 20 minute day/night cycles at the same time - if you do, you have planets rotating at such speed the game becomes borderline unplayable.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I think the main obstacle is that you can't have both planetary rotation and rapid, 20 minute day/night cycles at the same time - if you do, you have planets rotating at such speed the game becomes borderline unplayable.
Honestly that's my biggest gripe is every planet feels homogenous due to this limitation of the same cycle.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Looks like we might have ships customizations in this update:

nbrzy8sicuf31.png

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Just played again after a year or so, it still really disappoints me that survival mode is pretty much impossible/unplayable unless you get a lucky spawn. I like the base game a lot but it's just so comically easy, i really would appreciate a half step between effortless and impossible ;/

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it I'm raising the issues I foresee with it, like:

Do you expect something that large to leave gigantic tunnels. What if you stay in one place for ages, would the world beneath you just be eaten away because of one? Or would it be a scripted path that each one was on in a loop?

You say non aggressive but what would you do for collision for something that size? Just a little nudge out the way? What if you're in the tunnel when you collide?

I'm trying to understand how you see them working with a little more depth because "giant worms burrowing" sounds great on paper but unsure of how the practical side of it would work.
It would basically be a planet hazard like any other. Only 1/1000 planets might have a sand worm, so dont build your place on that world, but you could still explore it/die from encountering it.

Solid space faring advice: Dont build a base on a planet with a huge ass sand worm. I would love to see more planets that go beyond the current setup.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Finally took the plunge on this on Friday and I'm having a blast with it. The initial 30 mins put me off with the amount of backtracking and understanding the games basic concepts but now I'm in full swing and actually building a base!

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I bought NMS during the summer sale (It's on sale now for same price I believe / 50% off) and I've put in about 110 hours. I LOVED this game. I've not played for about 3 weeks now (waiting for this update) and I'm super pumped to play on Wed again.

Wouldn't it be some $hit if this was the Killer VR app that everyone said is needed? :D

While this game is considered a "survival game" it is only that your life support system (and elemental defenses) needs farm-able resources to fuel them. Within 2 hours I didn't have ANY issues (it wasn't even an inconvenience!!). I think I died on my first planet within the first hour 1 time. Then that was it.

Last edited:

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Changed my starter ship into this little Awing like ship. It even has a little droid.
dj2qprvctpkz.jpg
Seed:0x7C5A1D8A98008D09

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm genuinely curious how No Man's Sky would review and be perceived if this upcoming update were the game's initial release.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

I would welcome both. Planetary rotation and proper orbits are my sticking points since launch, as I always wanted that immersive, grounded sci-fi experience. And the 15 minute day-night cycles are especially onerous now that people have hunkered down on planets. I'd love to see planets with a wide variety of day-night cycles, from a few hours to a few days. Not being able to see a moon rise through your base's window, or being able to fly to the other side of the planet and spend a few hours exploring in daylight, really detracts from feeling like these could be real planets. I know they hand-wave those kinds of things narratively with "but it's just a <redacted>", but after a while that doesn't hold much water. At the very least I want much longer cycles even if the planets don't rotate.

Last edited:

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Wouldn't it be some $hit if this was the Killer VR app that everyone said is needed? :D

I would be careful with that particular hype train. While I don't doubt the game running well on PC VR systems, seasoned PS4 veterans are approaching the PSVR version very carefully and for good reason. Base PS4 has some horrendous FPS drops currently and the full game is supposed to be completely playable in stable 60fps for VR.

If not much is sacrificed in terms of things like draw distance and aliasing, I would call them literal wizards.

But cart before the horses or we will have a 2016 all over again.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
I finally downloaded this game after being amazed by its premise from day 1. The addition of VR brings a literal dream for me as a kid to life, being able to explore a universe in a spaceship in vr is mind blowing. I am gonna play on my work pc which is powerful and borrow my friends new rift. I'm thankful to hello games for giving me this opportunity to experience and that they may inspire other creators to do more of these kinds of games in the future

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

The game never felt like "open world" or open universe. More like a hub world where you visit some level, never feels like exploring a universe.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
they exist in the sky, scaled down. turns out sand worms are not fun to encounter

I know that's what they said in testing. But I mean, the game could use some absolutely massive creatures, secrets...Something. I love the moment to moment gameplay, but I just wish the game had something to aim for or towards, you know?

Absinthe

Oct 27, 2017
I know that's what they said in testing. But I mean, the game could use some absolutely massive creatures, secrets...Something. I love the moment to moment gameplay, but I just wish the game had something to aim for or towards, you know?

Raid style events etc would be incredible.

If NMS can incorporate more Destiny style ideas it could be GOTG

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if your still going to get the rocks that clip through your ship as your travel through space? This is something that has always bothered me. Also, are captial ships going to be useful and will their hangars properly accomodate all ship sizes?

I feel like they are so many things that need to be touched up, or outright redone in the game to make the core gameplay loop enjoyable. I appreciate the addition of VR, and multiplayer aspects, but I feel as if the core gameplay needs an overhaul or serious work to make this worthwhile.