• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I know that's what they said in testing. But I mean, the game could use some absolutely massive creatures, secrets...Something. I love the moment to moment gameplay, but I just wish the game had something to aim for or towards, you know?
To be fair in one of the recent smaller updates there wer log entries in side missions that alluded to large worms and beasts, so I feel like they are definitely planning to do something eventually

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair in one of the recent smaller updates there wer log entries in side missions that alluded to large worms and beasts, so I feel like they are definitely planning to do something eventually

That's super exciting. I really really hope they do.

I think I'm going to head over to the OT and discuss a few things I need some "guidance" on before I dive back into this.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest disappointments are still the lack of actual solar system simulation (orbits, rotations, stars actually being there) and one-biome planets.

I don't expect either to happen until a theoretical NMS2, as orbits would probably mean fundamental changes to the game, but if they can re-roll all the planets to get more variety I don't see why they can't do multi-biome planets in the current NMS.

Both things aren't in NMS because it was originally designed for players to hop from planet to planet. But most features added since launch have encouraged staying on planets long-term, which means you'd actually see celestial movements over time, and you'd have time to explore more regions of a single planet.

I agree on rotation, would been nice if practical. I can understand people having found it a little tedious though.

That said, not fond of actual orbiting for NMS. Density of planets with the amount and style of game fits the non-orbit approach imo. I like having the cluster to nip between without trying to keep track of them or having them be twice the time to travel to at some points. Could orbit together to resolve that but then what's the point?

Perhaps orbiting for moons exclusively would provide a nice mix.

Orbits and rotations would certainly have to occur at "normal" real-life speeds, as the length of a day on a planet would have to be determined by the actual rotation. You'd only start to notice those orbits over very long periods of time, like months in real life. Elite Dangerous does this and people are perfectly fine with it.

the problem I had in Astroneer is that you'd have to rotate your camera trying to find the planet, and it isnt "where you expect it to be"' so you basically waste time trying to find it every time you are traveling elsewhere.

there's no free exploring in space in Astroneer, though, all you need to do to travel to a planet is clicking on it. In No Man's Sky I can see it being a greater pain than just that since you'll have to keep course correcting without some sort of "auto travel" thing being introduced

Elite also solved this way back in the 90's with Elite II by just giving you a map of each solar system (even procedural ones). You have both a simple 2D map and a 3D orrery view. You just put a waypoint on the planet you want to go to without having to actually look at the planet. This is one UI feature I really want to see added to NMS because in that game, plotting a course to a planet is already a pain if it's behind another planet. In every other space game I've seen you can just plot a waypoint and supercruise handles the rest for the most part.

Surely...

No, it can't be
y6mpzxakd6p11.jpg

My other disappointment is actually that the planets in NMS are still "small". You can never see a crater this big in NMS for instance. Exiting and entering the atmosphere feels really short, but they probably did that for gameplay reasons. Star Citizen is doing the same thing, as realistically-sized planets would have atmospheres so big that actually landing on one from space would take like 20 minutes. Sometimes it does take that long in Elite Dangerous (you can still only land on airless worlds in ED but some of them are bigger than Earth and it can take a long time to safely approach and land).

Video games are just not good at dealing with real-life-scale geography like this.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wish they'd release the update early, I've been wanting to start the game really bad but I want to jump in when the update is live so I get the improvements from the beginning.

Edit: Also any idea when this goes live?

Last edited:

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I just jumped back into this game after a long ass time of not playing it. And even though my GTX 950 is potato for this game, it runs well enough that I'm finally starting to enjoy the game. Something just clicked and holy shit does this game have a lot of content and a lot to do. Excited for the new update/expansion.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has Sean ever talked about EVA/space walks? I keep hoping that makes it in and we could explore derelict ships that way or help random NPCs. Imagine doing an EVA onto a capital ship that's sparking with damage, getting on board and finding panels with lore of what happened to the crew and stumbling onto those horror creatures.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they'd release the update early, I've been wanting to start the game really bad but I want to jump in when the update is live so I get the improvements from the beginning.

Edit: Also any idea when this goes live?

Most likely in the morning/early afternoon EST. NEXT dropped at about 12-1pm EST on PC and PS4 an hour or two later iirc.

Has Sean ever talked about EVA/space walks? I keep hoping that makes it in and we could explore derelict ships that way or help random NPCs. Imagine doing an EVA onto a capital ship that's sparking with damage, getting on board and finding panels with lore of what happened to the crew and stumbling onto those horror creatures.

Don't have the source on hand, but unfortunately in one of his recent interviews he called out both space walks and Gas Giants as things explicitly not on their current planned feature set. His reasoning was that he thought people would get frustrated if they accidentally engaged space walk mode and floated off to their death. Seems kind of a bad reason to me personally, but I think the secret real reason is they don't want to have to think about 6dof movement in zero G scenarios.

That being said I'd loooove to be able to land on abandoned freighters and frigates, which wouldn't even require reworking any controls.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Jumped back in over the weekend to rap up the base missions and about to unlock the expcraft terminal. Once the new update hits I'll jet off and find my new home planet to start my big base build with the new features. I'm playing on Xbox one x but will pick up the PS4 version if the VR is good.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've long considered NMS one of my dream games come to life, VR is taking it to heights I never could've imagined . Definitely expecting an Interstellar moment the first time I throw on the headset.

qYVx1U6.gif

You now, might actually have to rewatch the film tomorrow night for maximum hype.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Fingers crossed black holes are rendered better, speaking of Interstellar...

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
It's a really great sign that despite all the features they keep adding to the game, there are still so many more like this that can be added. I think some features will require a next gen only sequel (running water/lava, multi biome planets, gas giants, planetary rotation with real stars, overhauled animal AI and draw distance, etc) but there are definitely a lot of features that could still happen with the current game, like a space overhaul and combat overhaul.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't have anything to lose, so I guess I'll give this another spin.

Haven't touched it since a week after it launched lol

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most likely in the morning/early afternoon EST. NEXT dropped at about 12-1pm EST on PC and PS4 an hour or two later iirc.

Don't have the source on hand, but unfortunately in one of his recent interviews he called out both space walks and Gas Giants as things explicitly not on their current planned feature set. His reasoning was that he thought people would get frustrated if they accidentally engaged space walk mode and floated off to their death. Seems kind of a bad reason to me personally, but I think the secret real reason is they don't want to have to think about 6dof movement in zero G scenarios.

That being said I'd loooove to be able to land on abandoned freighters and frigates, which wouldn't even require reworking any controls.
That seems like just a lame excuse. Design a warning before you jump out or some sort of airlock/depressurization timer if you're worried about someone doing it by accident.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
how does multiplayer work? do you have to join a lobby or do you just meet people randomly

In the current update both is true. You can join a random lobby (or with a friend) for full multiplayer (you can see the player models, their ships/freighters, etc.). However, you can also come across a player in the wild in the form of a "glitch" (visible as an orb and only the position with voice chat capability).

We assume the new update will get rid of the orbs and allow full models etc. to be encountered in the wild.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
That seems like just a lame excuse. Design a warning before you jump out or some sort of airlock/depressurization timer if you're worried about someone doing it by accident.

Yeah I rolled my eyes real hard when I read it. That's why I just inserted my own subtext that it's hard to design a new zero g movement system, and they're focused on improving existing parts of the game for now. Btw the article was here.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The reasoning in that article doesn't even make sense. Every character has a jetpack. You have a sealed suit (unless you're certain aliens?). You have life support systems. Why would you inexplicably die in space outside the ship?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I've long considered NMS one of my dream games come to life, VR is taking it to heights I never could've imagined . Definitely expecting an Interstellar moment the first time I throw on the headset.

qYVx1U6.gif

You now, might actually have to rewatch the film tomorrow night for maximum hype.
:}
That was basically me when they showed the trailer, even without the VR ingredient, it's such an underrated game at this point.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This looks really good.

Haven't played since around launch, though I did put a good amount of hours into it. Need to decide if I should continue on PS4 or start over on PC. Have PSVR but not sure how much I'd use it. Prefer playing games on PC, but it would be nice to continue my original journey.

Oct 25, 2017
This looks really good.

Haven't played since around launch, though I did put a good amount of hours into it. Need to decide if I should continue on PS4 or start over on PC. Have PSVR but not sure how much I'd use it. Prefer playing games on PC, but it would be nice to continue my original journey.
If you haven't played since launch, your old save will be completely different and possibly broken. I think you're better off starting over, as it's such a different game now even before the Beyond update.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If you haven't played since launch, your old save will be completely different and possibly broken. I think you're better off starting over, as it's such a different game now even before the Beyond update.

I remember very briefly trying NMS Next and was able to load my save. Probably better to start over though. I guess I'll see how lost I feel and how good VR is, and make a decision from there.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember very briefly trying NMS Next and was able to load my save. Probably better to start over though. I guess I'll see how lost I feel and how good VR is, and make a decision from there.
VR seems worthy of a new save. Need that intro buildup to that first flight.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yeah I rolled my eyes real hard when I read it. That's why I just inserted my own subtext that it's hard to design a new zero g movement system, and they're focused on improving existing parts of the game for now. Btw the article was here.
The space act as zero g in the game but isn't void. Being out of your ship can be controlled exactly as ship (basically, when you turn, you turn) but with limited speed.

Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure VR won't be a new category on the menu like Survival and Creative with a separate save? I was thinking about that last night. If now, then I will also start a new game.
I believe Sean Murray said that VR was a selectable view mode, just like toggling between third and first person. I don't remember which article I read that in; I'm looking for it now.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are we sure VR won't be a new category on the menu like Survival and Creative with a separate save? I was thinking about that last night. If now, then I will also start a new game.
They've been saying it's not a separate mode or port but maybe it does have a separate section for control/config reasons.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hopped in right away on the last major update and the bugs killed it for me. How long does it typically take for things to settle down post patch?

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It's isn't. Old saves are compatible and VR people share the world with everyone else.
I believe Sean Murray said that VR was a selectable view mode, just like toggling between third and first person. I don't remember which article I read that in; I'm looking for it now.
They've been saying it's not a separate mode or port but maybe it does have a separate section for control/config reasons.

Oh I see. I was not was not aware is just a toggle instead of a new game mode. New Save it is then!

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
The space act as zero g in the game but isn't void. Being out of your ship can be controlled exactly as ship (basically, when you turn, you turn) but with limited speed.

Sounds fine on paper, but you need a propulsion system, and reworked inertia, etc for it to not feel terrible, and you'd also need to rig up new animations for all the player models etc in 3rd person mode.

It's not a tiny amount of work, and they'd also have to you know program the actual gameplay around it to make it have a point. I could see it being the focus of an entire update if they want to do it properly. (which they should)

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know how the multiplayer side works without PS+? Like will you not see anyone wandering around even or will you just not be able to interact in the social hub?

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Does anyone know how the multiplayer side works without PS+? Like will you not see anyone wandering around even or will you just not be able to interact in the social hub?

Currently, you cannot join lobbies without PS+ but you can see other players as orbs. Interaction is limited to voice chat and "monument" building (basically a permanent memento of two players meeting).

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they add resolution and performance options in game to the ps4 pro version. If i want to play it somewhat close to a decent frame rate i have to manually put my ps4 pro's output resolution to 1080p

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I would be careful with that particular hype train. While I don't doubt the game running well on PC VR systems, seasoned PS4 veterans are approaching the PSVR version very carefully and for good reason. Base PS4 has some horrendous FPS drops currently and the full game is supposed to be completely playable in stable 60fps for VR.

If not much is sacrificed in terms of things like draw distance and aliasing, I would call them literal wizards.

But cart before the horses or we will have a 2016 all over again.

Totally understand, I was just making an off handed remark. TBH I totally forgot this was coming out for PSVR (I play on PC and was thinking of those VR components). Guess we'll find out Wed. I was just really throwing out the sentiment that wouldn't be crazy/ironic if NMS went from what was promised / delivered originally (backlash, etc) to be a VR Gem that broke down some barriers for people?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#1 Top Selling game on steam right now, imagine the thirst

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hopefully, nothing will crash this time.

I remember with the NEXT update, you better restart over than continuing your current game.

Because im not restarting over again. Not with S-Class everything.