• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
A team that weathered its launch and turned out one of my favorite games of the generation. That first launch into space in VR is going to be a uh... it's going to be a moment for me.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing i find fun to think about, is if every player in the new update decided to settle on a single planet and make their home base with their own piece of land, the size of the planet would support it and it would be completely possible. And im talking every player. This already exists with the galactic hub but because it take so much work and knowledge to get there its just a small fraction of players.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I feel like the topic is a liiittle misleading compared to what he actually said in the video. He said someone could create a Rocket League type system with logic I guess. It's not something that's already in there.
People who got to play the new version actually saw the "Rocket League in NMS" in action during the preview event. This PS Access video describes everything they experienced, although Elle wasn't the one to play and you can see she was a bit jealous of missing out :P

I haven't played this game in quite a while, but with the current updated version of the game, is the game algorithm able to create the truly giant creatures seen in the original trailers?

I took this screenshot about a year ago:

aIgvW4a.jpg

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
The thing i find fun to think about, is if every player in the new update decided to settle on a single planet and make their home base with their own piece of land, the size of the planet would support it and it would be completely possible. And im talking every player. This already exists with the galactic hub but because it take so much work and knowledge to get there its just a small fraction of players.
I'm hoping the new features within the Nexus will help make this a reality. Would be really cool to have a universal "home planet" that's constantly growing and changing.

This makes me think, I REALLY hope they got rid of the base icon spam, populated planets were a nightmare to explore with all the damn icons all over the screen last time I played.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
and it will introduce the next 100 annoying and gamebreaking bugs

seriously, cool when people like this game...i find it awful and still far from rockstable, at least the last big update there were so many broken things, straight up to corrupting save files and stuff like that is unaaceptable, regardless how many things they add to this boring game.

and no wonder they are still supporting it, every time they release a big free update it generates sales and therefore cash. i don´t see the "big turnaround", the game was boring Day One and is boring now.
You could always just play the big updates a few weeks after they're released so you don't have to deal with buginess. Maybe that would be unacceptable, I dunno.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm tempted to maybe purchase this again, digitally though since it's on sale, just so I can always have it on my co sole without word of disc swappage. Also, a secondary reason would be so that I could give Hello Games more money

I did just that. I was hesitant because of Sony's nonsense on the PS4 where disc versions of a game are sometimes treated as different games than the download version, rendering save files incompatible between the two, but luckily there were no issues with No Man's Sky. One less disc to worry about!

Ya'll gonna make me post it again, aren't you?

You are the hero we need. I salute your fine work, sir.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did just that. I was hesitant because of Sony's nonsense on the PS4 where disc versions of a game are sometimes treated as different games than the download version, rendering save files incompatible between the two, but luckily there were no issues with No Man's Sky. One less disc to worry about!
I'm glad you mentioned that. I hadn't pulled the trigger yet, but I was concerned about that save file issue. But knowing what you said, then it's golden, it's as good as bought. One less disc indeed, increasing my laziness output by at least 5%.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

seriously, cool when people like this game...i find it awful and still far from rockstable, at least the last big update there were so many broken things, straight up to corrupting save files and stuff like that is unaaceptable, regardless how many things they add to this boring game.

and no wonder they are still supporting it, every time they release a big free update it generates sales and therefore cash. i don´t see the "big turnaround", the game was boring Day One and is boring now.
Cool.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well, that's just hot shit. You're a wild man, you know that? That's a good one. That's spoken like a wild man. That's good.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
RP4HTI5.jpg

They've been in the game for a while.
I love NMS, but thats still relatively small. I want like a Dune sized sand worm, huge flying whales that cover the sky and what not. I guess that would go against the current algorithm though and they would need completely new animations/size to make that work as you cant just upscale the current ones for a decent effect.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I love NMS, but thats still relatively small. I want like a Dune sized sand worm, huge flying whales that cover the sky and what not. I guess that would go against the current algorithm though and they would need completely new animations/size to make that work as you cant just upscale the current ones for a decent effect.

I honestly don't know, they have Freighters in space much larger than those animals but those aren't animated so it's not a good comparison.
I believe they said they removed those sand worms because they weren't fun. Someone may correct me on that.

Edit

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I honestly don't know, they have Freighters in space much larger than those animals but those aren't animated so it's not a good comparison.
I believe they said they removed those sand worms because they weren't fun. Someone may correct me on that.

Edit
Never heard about why the worms weren't in the game, very sad.

Maybe they could have made them non aggressive instead. Just would have been cool having them in.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm glad you mentioned that. I hadn't pulled the trigger yet, but I was concerned about that save file issue. But knowing what you said, then it's golden, it's as good as bought. One less disc indeed, increasing my laziness output by at least 5%.

No problem! Glad you found the info useful.

Also, I totally hear you on the boost to your laziness stat. While I have a mix of physical and download games on my PS4 and will grudgingly get up to swap discs, having this particular game as a download version will dramatically drop how often I'm switching discs because this disc (and the one for DriveClub) basically lived in my PS4's drive. Who know what disc games from my library I'll actually play now!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Do we know how VR will work with exocraft? I don't think they have a cockpit view yet (at least the Nautilon doesn't).

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Never heard about why the worms weren't in the game, very sad.

Maybe they could have made them non aggressive instead. Just would have been cool having them in.

For real, why do we have to fight them, if anything it'd make me think wow I don't want to go near that. If they catch me off guard out of nowhere then hey, they caught me slippin'.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
Do we know how VR will work with exocraft? I don't think they have a cockpit view yet (at least the Nautilon doesn't).

The trailer for VR shows a player riding around in an exocraft, looking around from inside it. Pretty sure all the vehicles have cockpit views now, specifically designed because of the VR mode.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
For real, why do we have to fight them, if anything it'd make me think wow I don't want to go near that. If they catch me off guard out of nowhere then hey, they caught me slippin'.
Yeah exactly, have them only attack if they are attacked and it would all be fine. You shouldn't be able to take them down easy so it makes sense.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah exactly, have them only attack if they are attacked and it would all be fine. You shouldn't be able to take them down easy so it makes sense.
Would they just appear and disappear out of the ground? If not do you expect something that large to leave gigantic tunnels. What if you stay in one place for ages, would the world beneath you just be eaten away because of one? Or would it be a scripted path that each one was on in a loop? If it's appearing and disappearing from the ground then what if you dig away at that part and build a ceiling above you and wait?

You say non aggressive but what would you do for collision for something that size? Just a little nudge out the way? What if you're in the tunnel when you collide?

I seriously don't get the fascination with the sand snakes, years later. They looked great on the horizon in the trailer but I don't know how people expect them to work and be enjoyable at that scale and speed when you're actually close to them. I absolutely get why they were cut.

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Would they just appear and disappear out of the ground? If not do you expect something that large to leave gigantic tunnels. What if you stay in one place for ages, would the world beneath you just be eaten away because of one? Or would it be a scripted path that each one was on in a loop? If it's appearing and disappearing from the ground then what if you dig away at that part and build a ceiling above you and wait?

You say non aggressive but what would you do for collision for something that size? Just a little nudge out the way? What if you're in the tunnel when you collide?

I seriously don't get the fascination with the sand snakes, years later. They looked great on the horizon in the trailer but I don't know how people expect them to work and be enjoyable at that scale and speed when you're actually close to them. I absolutely get why they were cut.
Most of what you have said is of no consequence since according to that interview they already had them working but felt they were too difficult to take down and weren't fun.

However there are tonnes of people who would still think that their inclusion would have been fun because they are cool designs, bring some diversity to the animal types and just generally are a cool idea in fiction.

I mean it sounds like the fundamentals were done but they decided they couldn't get them to a fun stage they were happy with so I have to take them at their word but even if I came across a random planet with them and got murdered by them, that would just add to the adventures nature of the game.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I wish wasnt cut is the Planet rotation.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Orbits would be a nice thing to have, but I don't really know if they'd add anything significant enough to offset the potential issues and performance overhead they'd introduce.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Most of what you have said is of no consequence since according to that interview they already had them working but felt they were too difficult to take down and weren't fun.

However there are tonnes of people who would still think that their inclusion would have been fun because they are cool designs, bring some diversity to the animal types and just generally are a cool idea in fiction.

I mean it sounds like the fundamentals were done but they decided they couldn't get them to a fun stage they were happy with so I have to take them at their word but even if I came across a random planet with them and got murdered by them, that would just add to the adventures nature of the game.
I'm asking you how you envisage them working though, as you maintain it would be enjoyable.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm asking you how you envisaged them working though, as you maintain it would be enjoyable.
Worms work as a mining tool and just go through the earth, they go about their business unless attacked and will then come after you.

I would enjoy that being in the game, you might not but each to their own.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Worms work as a mining tool and just go through the earth, they go about their business unless attacked and will then come after you.

I would enjoy that being in the game, you might not but each to their own.
I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it I'm raising the issues I foresee with it, like:

Do you expect something that large to leave gigantic tunnels. What if you stay in one place for ages, would the world beneath you just be eaten away because of one? Or would it be a scripted path that each one was on in a loop?

I'm trying to understand how you see them working with a little more depth because "giant worms burrowing" sounds great on paper but unsure of how the practical side of it would work.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Shaping up to be my go to space game, baby. The fun of NMS is flying around from planet to planet not knowing what you'll find. That aspect of the gameplay becomes deeper with each new megaupdate. Keep em coming Hello Games!

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I just hope there's some way to download all these assets in the game before they turn the servers off eventually. This allows people to continue to play the game later.

I haven't finished the game yet as I'm stuck mining to build the hostile animals planet scanner.

The systems sound good and I'm looking forward to playing the game.

Last edited:

bill crystals

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sand worm thing is always amusing to me. It's like one of the objectively coolest things you could possibly add to this game and they've already obviously had prototypes since PRE-2016, so you think maybe if it was feasible/fun/worthwhile in any way they would have found a way to include them by now. "Just make them not hurt the player" haha do we really think they didn't try that immediately? It's a concept that simply doesn't work for NMS, for whatever reason.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Played PSVR today for the first time in months and I can't wait for the VR patch.

But, the technical state of the VR mode will determine if I stay in it and play it on PS4 Pro or if I play the update mainly on the stronger Xbox One X.
PSVR games can heavenly vary from low res garbage, which was a reason I never bought Tetris Effect, because the demo turned me completely off, one of the biggest VR disappointments I had, to native res and a really good looking picture, to games like Bound which even has super sampling on the Pro with the VR headset and it looks so ridiculously sharp and native that it drops your jaw to the floor. You can't believe how clean it looks.

So I really hope it's at least native. Please, please don't be low res garbage. 😥

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played PSVR today for the first time in months and I can't wait for the VR patch.

But, the technical state of the VR mode will determine if I stay in it and play it on PS4 Pro or if I play the update mainly on the stronger Xbox One X.
PSVR games can heavenly vary from low res garbage, which was a reason I never bought Tetris Effect, because the demo turned me completely off, one of the biggest VR disappointments I had, to native res and a really good looking picture, to games like Bound which even has super sampling on the Pro with the VR headset and it looks so ridiculously sharp and native that it drops your jaw to the floor. You can't believe how clean it looks.

So I really hope it's at least native. Please, please don't be low res garbage. 😥
Even though I'm missing out on some fantastic exclusives I am so happy I invested in Oculus Rift instead. I think now is as good time as any to finally give this game a try.

Just to confirm all upgrades are included?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Orbits would be a nice thing to have, but I don't really know if they'd add anything significant enough to offset the potential issues and performance overhead they'd introduce.
For a game about screenshots, having more variability of the horizon is enough. Not to mention the feeling of scale watching a planet pass overhead. I still vividly remember creature phase in spore and the gas giant passed by how small I felt.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy it I'm raising the issues I foresee with it, like:

Do you expect something that large to leave gigantic tunnels. What if you stay in one place for ages, would the world beneath you just be eaten away because of one? Or would it be a scripted path that each one was on in a loop?

I'm trying to understand how you see them working with a little more depth because "giant worms burrowing" sounds great on paper but unsure of how the practical side of it would work.
Maybe set some parameters that the worms can only go to a specific depth and can reuse already created tunnels to prevent them from taking away the entire planet, something like that I'm sure could be put in place.
The sand worm thing is always amusing to me. It's like one of the objectively coolest things you could possibly add to this game and they've already obviously had prototypes since PRE-2016, so you think maybe if it was feasible/fun/worthwhile in any way they would have found a way to include them by now. "Just make them not hurt the player" haha do we really think they didn't try that immediately? It's a concept that simply doesn't work for NMS, for whatever reason.
All we have to go on is the interview provided saying they were too hard to fight and as such wasn't fun so anything else is pure speculation so I'm basing my opinion on the information provided.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For a game about screenshots, having more variability of the horizon is enough. Not to mention the feeling of scale watching a planet pass overhead. I still vividly remember creature phase in spore and the gas giant passed by how small I felt.

Hang on, when we're talking about orbits do we mean planetary rotation about its axis or orbiting its host star? I always assume orbit mean the latter but the former seems more feasible and would give the effect you want over a more realistic timescale.

bill crystals

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All we have to go on is the interview provided saying they were too hard to fight and as such wasn't fun so anything else is pure speculation so I'm basing my opinion on the information provided.
Eh, I would actually look at the dev team's track record these last 3 years. If they could make it work, they would have. I don't think it takes much imagination to come up with any number of cold hard game dev reasons why they might not work, or are simply not a good fit. Like if you just zoom in on any single piece of what would be bare-minimum expected with the inclusion of "sand worms" the technical complexity becomes pretty apparent, very fast. Burrowing through the entire planets? Ok now planets need to know about huge sand worms and their AI routines at all times. What happens when they breach the ground, is there a big gaping hole? Does the planet "remember" that? What about any structures/creatures/players in its path? That stuff is constantly moving so if you were to put "safeguards" in place the AI computation would be pretty expensive. I think you underestimate the amount of memory/caching tricks NMS employs to make its scale possible.

Then add the fact that NMS has gone hard on bases and multiplayer these last few years and now my programmer brain is recoiling in horror at the prospect of incorporating dynamic, potentially "landscape altering" sand worms into that nightmare. Sand worms just seem like not great ROI, despite being an obviously cool idea on paper.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I wonder how borked my old save will be.
I don't want to grind again for a full suit and a maxed inventory ship.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

Whatever issues you can think up they must have figured out, because they were in the game at one point, so does it really matter how any of us theorize they might have implemented them? They weren't removed because they did or didn't create tunnels or any other kind of problem like that, they were removed because they were too difficult to kill and Hello Games felt that didn't create a fun gameplay experience. Anything else is speculation on our part, the actual factoid that we have is that they had them working in the game but removed them because they weren't fun. Unless someone brings it up with Hello Games again we're unlikely to ever have answers to your questions. ):

I remember them talking about space whales at one point too but I imagine those also got cut for whatever reason

)':

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Whatever issues you can think up they must have figured out, because they were in the game at one point, so does it really matter how any of us theorize they might have implemented them?
I don't think it's odd to discuss it because what developers have in mind for an implementation is wildly different from what others might have and I'm interested to know a little more depth behind the equivalents of "but it would have been great" to see the thought a little more scoped out.

If people think it would have worked no problem I'm interested in understanding how.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only thing I wish wasnt cut is the Planet rotation.
QFT

I know it's a tiny thing, but the day night cycles are super artificial without it. Ive put about 3 timelapses on my channel and you can really see it. They should at least bring that back.

I dont really care about planetary orbit though it'd be cool

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I agree on rotation, would been nice if practical. I can understand people having found it a little tedious though.

That said, not fond of actual orbiting for NMS. Density of planets with the amount and style of game fits the non-orbit approach imo. I like having the cluster to nip between without trying to keep track of them or having them be twice the time to travel to at some points. Could orbit together to resolve that but then what's the point?

Perhaps orbiting for moons exclusively would provide a nice mix.