• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 14, 2017
Microtransactions?
I'm just wondering, they have to earn money somehow... seeing hub and all these (and past) updates, question comes to mind.
And no, I'm not pointing fingers or anything, just wondering about business side of the project. Hell, if somebody's earned the right to put microtransactions to the game, it's NMS.
They turned over almost £100m revenue in the 27 months to Nov 2018. They have a massive profit margin. I think they have like £50m+ cash on hand. NMS is basically printing money for them.

I bet when this update hits they'll go back to the top of the Steam sales charts again. At this rate, they can easily justify putting out updates for free and eventually putting NMS on some kind of long term support when whatever their next project is comes out. Maybe in a few years they could put some cosmetic MTX in to break even on whatever running costs they have, but right now they are doing gangbusters.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
all i want is a way to automate the crafting/plant growing/refining/combining processes so everything runs like in a factory without me having to run from spot to spot collecting shit and then making shit to make more shit all of it manually.
this was insane and killed the game for me.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
This is all just too subtle for me to grasp properly. ;)

So...with logic now being implemented for bases...it's theoretically possible for someone to build multiple bases on the same planet / solar system, each with puzzles to solve, and clues pointing to the next location. If they can implement a reward system, then it might be possible for users to generate their own quests within the game itself.
Eager to see how well this is implemented. Been toying around with the idea of using bases as dungeons/challenge courses in Next, but the components just aren't enough. Beyond sounds like a whole new ballgame.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
NPCs do also walk around on planets as well as on stations then! I'm a little disappointed to hear it still has the boring, uninspired kill/collect missions but overall it sounds very impressive.

Deleted member 6645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its been in the top 3 on steam all day today and its not even launch day.
Wow. Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing microtransactions or paid DLC through NMS' lifespan.

NPCs do also walk around on planets as well as on stations then! I'm a little disappointed to hear it still has the boring, uninspired kill/collect missions but overall it sounds very impressive.
That is a big thing that I think they naturally have to revisit with a future update, especially with the expanded multiplayer functionality.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'll finally pick this up during the Steam Christmas sale. I knew the original release was fool's gold, but it sounds like they've turned it completely around. I'll support that kind of dedication.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just reinstalled NMS for this. Haven't played in a long time. Would it be better to start a new game when this launches or would playing it now not make a huge difference?

Nov 30, 2018
User banned:(7 Days) Trolling, arguing in bad faith and a history of similar infractions.
Hmmm this guy saying stuff again?
Totally believable

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
Given everything that's happened after the game's release, I don't think there's any reason to doubt what Sean is saying at this point.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's supposed to change that?

Surely every developer deserves a pass like them.

Bethesda especially
Theres a huge difference bruh.

Hello Games has like 2 dozen people working there. Their studio was destroyed and rebuilt from a massive flood. Sean said that the studio almost ran out of money trying to launch No Man's Sky

I would have done exactly what Sean did if I'm being honestly.

Bethesda KNOWINGLY launched a shitty game, and they absolutely could afford to delay it and make it right.

Hello games didn't get that choice.

I hardly believe that a man who sold his own home to create this studio and fund his then passion project, deliberately wanted to lie to you.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Unpopular opinion but with them putting a firm 2.0 on this, I'd like to see them put out similar large updates as no longer free. The studio deserves it, they have gone well beyond any expectations that should be placed on them, and I for one would like to support them for their continued work. I put hundreds of hours into early versions of the game but haven't touched it in forever but the addition of of VR alone is enough to pull me back in
Next gen would be a good time to do this. Hopefully we'll see a big leap in verticality, animal AI, and detail draw distance. They're already filthy rich though so I'm not really sure where the concern is coming from.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll gonna make me post it again, aren't you?
The date: some time in the far-distant future.

The place: a world, bitterly cold as its sun hangs dying in the sky.

A single figure takes what feels like the millionth shaky step across barren terrain. They are the last of their kind, one of the last living creatures on their planet. They know this, as it has been months since seeing another.

They stumble. This has happened before, but the weight is too great this time, the weight of understanding that with this fall comes the end of all that their civilization created, the end of love and hate, of poetry and war.

They look up, and see the impossible: another figure, like their own, standing nearby. The other figure sees them, and opens their mouth to speak. A sound they thought they'd never hear again.

"Are you aware that Sean Murray LIED about multiplayer?"

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

Bethesda especially

stop.gif

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018

Bethesda especially

Yes, we should definitely blame the developer for delivering far more content than promised over a continuous three year period without extra cost, DLC or microtransactions involved. All while quitely providing patch notes the size of a King James Bible, the swine!

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds awesome. Using the current sale and update as an opportunity to make a fresh start on the PC version.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Weird question does the game have any rpg elements?

As in stats, levels and such? Not really, unless you count upgrading the strength of your equipment. The main story has a bit of RPG feel to it but it is lite.

Really, think something like Minecraft but where your sword/tool/boat is upgraded with many, many enchantments.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm so excited for this update. Me and my friend have been playing it together off and on, and she ended up buying a PSVR because of it, and so we can play VR together.

Out of all of the amazing things they're including in this update, the VR is what got me to pull the trigger on a PSVR back when they announced it. I was luke warm on VR, but I absolutely adore NMS, and have since day one, and the thought of exploring a planet or cruising through space in VR is the kind of thing young me used to dream about, but never imagined possible in games (I grew up in the 80's; the best we could hope for back then was wireframe vector graphics. 😂)

The 14th can't get here soon enough.

Akasaki

Oct 27, 2017
We still need the "But what do you actually do in the game though?" post for this thread to be complete.

I can't believe the amount of post-release work Sean and his team put into making the game what it is today. Kudos to them for sticking to their creation and improving it nonstop for free. I can't wait to see what future updates will bring to NMS. And I'll be checking the Beyond update for sure.
I would love to have a VR headset right now to try this update.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I don't care if people call me crazy...

This is the game of the generation for me.

Can't believe how much love they're putting into this game. It's getting hard to describe what it's all about at this point, there is so much to do and the complexity is insane. You could say that it's a bit like Minecraft, but in space. But that's underselling it. NMS does so much more at this point.

And I love that I can actually play it from beginning to end with my kids beside me! They honestly love NMS just as much as me, if not more, so Hello Games need some serious praise for keeping things family friendly. I'm so tired that many games are so violent now that I have to sit up at the middle of the night playing them to not have the kids stumbling into some brutal torture scene or decapitation that will scar them for life.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I don't care if people call me crazy...

This is the game of the generation for me.

Can't believe how much love they're putting into this game. It's getting hard to describe what it's all about at this point, there is so much to do and the complexity is insane. You could say that it's a bit like Minecraft, but in space. But that's underselling it. NMS does so much more at this point.

And I love that I can actually play it from beginning to end with my kids beside me! They honestly love NMS just as much as me, if not more, so Hello Games need some serious praise for keeping things family friendly. I'm so tired that many games are so violent now that I have to sit up at the middle of the night playing them to not have the kids stumbling into some brutal torture scene or decapitation that will scar them for life.

Totally agree with you. I bought it at launch full price and even loved it back then , to see where it has landed now is just amazing .

It's basically the most ambitious game I have ever played , it's definitely not the most polished of course but that's to be expected with a small team.

I will be jumping back in again as I do with every update they do , and with the nexus and possibility of finding unique gear / ships I could be here for a long while .

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Microtransactions?
I'm just wondering, they have to earn money somehow... seeing hub and all these (and past) updates, question comes to mind.
And no, I'm not pointing fingers or anything, just wondering about business side of the project. Hell, if somebody's earned the right to put microtransactions to the game, it's NMS.
every time they released an update, NMS entered #1 on steam sales charts for quite some time, they are still making money off these updates, so there is no need for microtransactions.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
With multiplayer now being fully-realized, is there any word on how mods will be affected? I've gotten really accustomed to a lot of QoL mods, like faster interaction time (no more hold button down to interact, just press button), faster flight times for boosting and warping, being able to hover and reverse with your ship, etc. For single player this has been fine, and I've never been interested in mods that take this to the extreme (like zero fuel and take-off costs), but for multiplayer it seems like they kinda need to restrict or outright ban mods like this, given how far they can be taken.

Wondering if I should spend the next few days playing with all mods disabled so I'm used to the vanilla feel in time for launch =P

Mar 29, 2018
Microtransactions?
They use the Minecraft model. The game sold gangbusters at launch, that funded them for years probably, and with every new update they get a TON of new, raw sales.

I'm sure they're working on another game at this point, too. Even if only at prototype stage.