• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This looks really good.

Haven't played since around launch, though I did put a good amount of hours into it. Need to decide if I should continue on PS4 or start over on PC. Have PSVR but not sure how much I'd use it. Prefer playing games on PC, but it would be nice to continue my original journey.

I have my save since vanilla, had no problems with the updates. I say keep it, you get introduced to a shitton of tutorials anyways.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played properly since the launch version so I'm starting a new play through and I really can't wait. Fair play to them.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Really torn between making a new save to experience everything fresh in VR and continuing my complete save with S class ships, frigate etc.

It's been a while so I can't remember, but can you have multiple saves?

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
hopefully, nothing will crash this time.

I remember with the NEXT update, you better restart over than continuing your current game.

Because im not restarting over again. Not with S-Class everything.

Oh. this is a good point. While I never had any problems with my save files (outside the obvious and intended "obsolete tech" thing), I would absolutely want to back-up my 300+h launch day save. Does simply copying the save files to a USB stick work for PS4 games? As in, I can copy them back when whenever and they are usable without formatting shenannigans?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh. this is a good point. While I never had any problems with my save files (outside the obvious and intended "obsolete tech" thing), I would absolutely want to back-up my 300+h launch day save. Does simply copying the save files to a USB stick work for PS4 games? As in, I can copy them back when whenever and they are usable without formatting shenannigans?
Yes you can backup your save file on a usb

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

There's loads of save slots.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
No Man's Sky is already a game that completely destroys my time. Every time I play it the time flys and I end up goind to bed 2 or 3 hours later than I had planned.
Now with VR I will have a hard time coming back to reality. This thing is going to obliterate my social life.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Really torn between making a new save to experience everything fresh in VR and continuing my complete save with S class ships, frigate etc.

It's been a while so I can't remember, but can you have multiple saves?
Yup multiple save slots.

I'd say wait for patch notes, if there has been enough changes to the core progression it could be worth experiencing it all over again, especially with how 2.0 is supposed to make the whole game including all updates a much more cohesive experience.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Man's Sky is already a game that completely destroys my time. Every time I play it the time flys and I end up goind to bed 2 or 3 hours later than I had planned.
Now with VR I will have a hard time coming back to reality. This thing is going to obliterate my social life.

With NMS Online, you dont need real life friends anymore!

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Yes you can backup your save file on a usb

Thank you!

There's loads of save slots.

No, I am aware of that. But let's say I only have a save file on my PS4. It can get corrupted and then overwritten by the game's autosave feature. That's what I want to avoid given the amount of hours I put into my launch day normal game. Hence, I want to back it up in case a fix comes/I want to revert to an earlier version.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thank you!

No, I am aware of that. But let's say I only have a save file on my PS4. It can get corrupted and then overwritten by the game's autosave feature. That's what I want to avoid given the amount of hours I put into my launch day normal game. Hence, I want to back it up in case a fix comes/I want to revert to an earlier version.
I do also backup on the Cloud if you have ps+

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
All this talk about zero g has me hoping HG will take some inspiration from Outer Wilds as that handles zero g propulsion and navigation relatively well though there is a bit of a learning curve involved. I had a few 2001 type experiences just drifting in space aimlessly until I ran out of O2 xD

As others mentioned you need some gameplay incentive for this, like derelict ships you need to go outside your ship to manually activate an airlock to get inside of.

So excited for Wednesday, hurry up and get here!

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Want to play it today but I'm worried about a reset or my save file being borked by the update.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

No Man's Sky |OT| 2019: A Space Odyssey

Still taking suggestions and pondering it.
No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds

You know, Hello Games, its a simulation, hello worlds is plural because of many planets. This was the best I got

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds
tenor.gif

That is a great one.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Wonder how in depth the third pillar update will be , considering its No Man Sky 2.0

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I started for the first time last night. I like Survival games and so I started in that mode.
I don't know if they force you to start on a hot/toxic planet, but I did.
I died like 5 times before I got to the ship lol.

I had to sit in the ship to recharge my environmental protection thing, make small runs and then run back to the ship to recharge. Found a small amount of whatever it is that recharges the suit, tried to make it to the signal thing, random firestorm, died.

Spawn back at ship and everythings broken again :\

Fixed everything, got some more protection stuff, tried again, made it, finished the tutorial stuff.

Even tho parts were super frustrating, it felt really good to escape that hell planet lol.

On the next planet, I had to follow a signal to some thing, get a blueprint, etc. Then while looking for copper I found a crashed A class ship :D
I repaired the engine, but the other parts all needed things I didn't have yet. I kept it anyway, I think I'll slowly fix it up as I figure stuff out.
The experience of finding a crashed ship and repairing its systems with very little resources in toxic atmosphere was really cool :D
Can't wait to play again.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky |OT| See That Planet Over There.....
or
No Man's Sky |OT| GIANT ENEMY SPACE CRAB Now Rideable.

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
Although I'm super duper excited as well I do suspect it'll be super buggy at first. HG is usually pretty quick to patch the worst offenders but every major release had a ton of bugs so be prepared for that. Save often!

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I started for the first time last night. I like Survival games and so I started in that mode.
I don't know if they force you to start on a hot/toxic planet, but I did.
I died like 5 times before I got to the ship lol.

I had to sit in the ship to recharge my environmental protection thing, make small runs and then run back to the ship to recharge. Found a small amount of whatever it is that recharges the suit, tried to make it to the signal thing, random firestorm, died.

Spawn back at ship and everythings broken again :\

Fixed everything, got some more protection stuff, tried again, made it, finished the tutorial stuff.

Even tho parts were super frustrating, it felt really good to escape that hell planet lol.

On the next planet, I had to follow a signal to some thing, get a blueprint, etc. Then while looking for copper I found a crashed A class ship :D
I repaired the engine, but the other parts all needed things I didn't have yet. I kept it anyway, I think I'll slowly fix it up as I figure stuff out.
The experience of finding a crashed ship and repairing its systems with very little resources in toxic atmosphere was really cool :D
Can't wait to play again.

The first planet on normal or Survival/Perma is rougher then normal, A little in the case of normal mode, a lot in the case of survival. You really have to work for the safe takeoff in Survival, and even as it continues as you think about where to land so as not to waste fuel, (as a small hint look for landing beacons as they cost nothing to take off again). You'll also find very few places on survival let you fully relax, but its fun in its own way :D

[edit] Quotes went all over there :P

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Has Sean ever talked about EVA/space walks? I keep hoping that makes it in and we could explore derelict ships that way or help random NPCs. Imagine doing an EVA onto a capital ship that's sparking with damage, getting on board and finding panels with lore of what happened to the crew and stumbling onto those horror creatures.

Derelict freighters is one thing I've wanted to see them add. It'd be dope if you could randomly encounter a System Shock 2 or Event Horizon-type situation out there. And I don't see why they can't do it if they already have derelict space stations. Freighters could be similar, just smaller. Have each one be a sort of mini randomly-generated dungeon where you have to activate a power source or retrieve something. Just spitballing here.

Or maybe there could be smaller minor space stations, or large asteroids you can land on.

It's a really great sign that despite all the features they keep adding to the game, there are still so many more like this that can be added. I think some features will require a next gen only sequel (running water/lava, multi biome planets, gas giants, planetary rotation with real stars, overhauled animal AI and draw distance, etc) but there are definitely a lot of features that could still happen with the current game, like a space overhaul and combat overhaul.

I think the lack of rotation and orbit was more of a design decision than anything else, since Elite already has that on current-gen systems. I remember during early playtesting Murray said some people got confused because they'd spend a while on a planet, and then not be able to find the space station upon leaving because the planet had rotated while they were on it. A problem like that could just be solved by pinning a waypoint on the space station (which, again, is exactly what you would do in Elite). At this point though I wouldn't be surprised if orbits and rotation would simply be too fundamental a change to the current game. Orbits and rotation might also be a reason Elite is online-only -- they have to keep everyone in sync so the positions of planets remain the same for everyone.

Multi-biome planets to me still feels like something they could change in the current NMS though. This will be the third time I believe they've re-rolled all the planets and completely changed their environments. The design reason given for one-biome planets is that players originally wouldn't spend a whole lot of time on each individual planet. Now they are spending lots of time on each planet.

Overall though, I suspect a reason the current NMS is the way it is, is because its procedural generation may have certain similarities to Minecraft that prevent individual planets from having multiple biomes or realistically sized atmospheres. That's just my speculation though. I don't actually know the differences between how NMS does it, how Star Citizen is doing it, how Elite does it, and how Space Engine does it.

The reasoning in that article doesn't even make sense. Every character has a jetpack. You have a sealed suit (unless you're certain aliens?). You have life support systems. Why would you inexplicably die in space outside the ship?

Sounds fine on paper, but you need a propulsion system, and reworked inertia, etc for it to not feel terrible, and you'd also need to rig up new animations for all the player models etc in 3rd person mode.

It's not a tiny amount of work, and they'd also have to you know program the actual gameplay around it to make it have a point. I could see it being the focus of an entire update if they want to do it properly. (which they should)

I imagine propulsion and inertia are probably the big hurdles. There's no basis right now for how anything other than a ship would operate in zero-g. I guess controls would be similar to swimming.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Please, stop it with the serious OT titles. They're meant to poke fun at the game or the fandom around it.