• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
I don't know, something like :
  • abandonned ships / freighters
  • getting rid of static asteroids everywhere and make them move and more interesting to mining
  • ships convoy (from space to planet, space to space station or vise versa) that you can attacked or helped against attacked.
  • Freighters against freighters combat (but they need to move for that, even slowly)
I didn't specially think about it (there is no point, I am not working at HG) but this is some idea. And the first two can give reasons to why going outside of our ship.

Yup this, I know they put asteroids *everywhere* because they're essentially gas for your ship, but there's gotta be some other way to resolve this than just having them spawn everywhere

I like how Elite tried to make mining more interesting, doing something similar would be lovely, but I doubt it'll be this update

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If I start a new save when Beyond drops, would it be possible, in theory, to still stumble upon my older planets that I discovered? I forget how the game work with regards to this. Are we all playing in one big universe or are there multiple instances that people can get into and are then unable to find others on different ones?

We're on platform specific Universes (at least currently) and unless the universe is reset and discoveries wiped then you could in theory find "your" planets on a fresh save.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
That's the problem, yes. Just get rid of gas for ships (keep the warp cell).

I've been wanting this for a long time. They should ditch regular fuel and instead have the ships run on a "solar" energy system. If you don't have fuel, you have to charge up your solar panels for a bit. Also consuming fuel in space is particularly stupid because once your'e moving at a desired speed...you no longer need to burn fuel for propulsion, only for acceleration (at least I'm fairly certain this is true, correct me if I'm wrong).

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been wanting this for a long time. They should ditch regular fuel and instead have the ships run on a "solar" energy system. If you don't have fuel, you have to charge up your solar panels for a bit. Also consuming fuel in space is particularly stupid because once your'e moving at a desired speed...you no longer need to burn fuel for propulsion, only for acceleration (at least I'm fairly certain this is true, correct me if I'm wrong).
They could even use the different star types to augment that solar power system. Systems that require the warp drive upgrades affect recharge rate somehow or you have to upgrade the solar array to that same type like the jump drive. Maybe require maintainance on the panels for peak function, even doable via EVA as well.

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, something like :
  • abandonned ships / freighters
  • getting rid of static asteroids everywhere and make them move and more interesting to mining
  • ships convoy (from space to planet, space to space station or vise versa) that you can attacked or helped against attacked.
  • Freighters against freighters combat (but they need to move for that, even slowly)
I didn't specially think about it (there is no point, I am not working at HG) but this is some idea. And the first two can give reasons to why going outside of our ship.

These are the things that need to be updated, along with a host of other gameplay elements. As it is right now, the core gameplay needs to be reworked.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
No, you are not wrong. Their logic is really in atmosphere, not 0g and void logic.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Agreed, I recall you mentioning similar before. I wouldn't even mind if it was a mid to late game upgrade even, certainly enough modules installed now minimise the need to refuel and once money is plentiful its easier to buy a stack of fuel, when you stop somewhere.

You're also mostly right about not needing fuel constantly in "real life" though one does require fuel to decelerate, and any other manoeuvring, and depending on your current speed it could be rather a lot of fuel :P
I don't think its thematically wrong to have a required fuel, I just agree that its a faff when you're hopping round a system, and something that late game could have more options. I feel that the warp cells provide enough of a "cost" to general gameplay.

Last edited:

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I just play Creative Mode.

I got sick of fuel and recharging long ago.

Just discovering new things is fun enough for me. And of course unlimited base building.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, true

The ship have gas to justify the asteroids and the asteroids exist to justify the gas

Its an unnecessary system, and we already have the warp cell for travelling between star systems so that fulfills having a cost to travel

Definitely. As-is, it's just an excuse for you to do more scavenging and crafting stuff. If they don't want you to be able to run out of fuel, then they shouldn't have a fuel system. Elite has one, but in Elite it's possible for you to run out of fuel in the middle of space, at which point you can either self-destruct or ask people online to help you (there's an actual group of players who specialize in this).

There was one instance in which I was able to land on an NPC's freighter and buy some gas from him which felt cool, but they probably wouldn't be able to make those ever-present in NMS. Maybe make a mechanic where you can send out a distress signal and an NPC might help your or try to rob you? Could definitely be cool with the multiplayer.

They could even use the different star types to augment that solar power system. Systems that require the warp drive upgrades affect recharge rate somehow or you have to upgrade the solar array to that same type like the jump drive. Maybe require maintainance on the panels for peak function, even doable via EVA as well.

This is, again, how Elite does it -- you have to fly right up to a star and carefully get close enough to refuel off of it without frying your ship, it's a cheap customization part for when you're in uninhabited space, as every inhabited system just lets you gas up at space stations. Only stars of certain spectra can fuel your ship though, so you have to be careful if you're going to a system orbiting anything cooler than a red dwarf.

NMS doesn't actually have physical stars though so that wouldn't work.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Definitely. As-is, it's just an excuse for you to do more scavenging and crafting stuff. If they don't want you to be able to run out of fuel, then they shouldn't have a fuel system. Elite has one, but in Elite it's possible for you to run out of fuel in the middle of space, at which point you can either self-destruct or ask people online to help you (there's an actual group of players who specialize in this).

There was one instance in which I was able to land on an NPC's freighter and buy some gas from him which felt cool, but they probably wouldn't be able to make those ever-present in NMS. Maybe make a mechanic where you can send out a distress signal and an NPC might help your or try to rob you? Could definitely be cool with the multiplayer.

This is, again, how Elite does it -- you have to fly right up to a star and carefully get close enough to refuel off of it without frying your ship, it's a cheap customization part for when you're in uninhabited space, as every inhabited system just lets you gas up at space stations. Only stars of certain spectra can fuel your ship though, so you have to be careful if you're going to a system orbiting anything cooler than a red dwarf.

NMS doesn't actually have physical stars though so that wouldn't work.

I was thinking about Fuel Scoops from Elite as well, but you're right in that NMS doesn't have the same systems as Elite to support things like that.
There's fuel for takeoff, fuel for interstellar travel

Maybe that's enough, because not ONCE did I ever stop to mine asteroids in NSM and found it a fun experience, it's always felt like busywork,

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
My biggest critique after all these years and I think they will never change this, is the height of the planets.
Not only does it feel like only a hundred meter until you reach space when you start with the ship, even worse, when you explore and specially when you build.
Real mountains don't exist in this universe, everything is so flat and you always have the feeling your hitting the proverbial ceiling with some of the hills in the game.

Love it so much what this game has become, but this always punches me out of the game world when I'm deep into it again and love absolute everything else.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest critique after all these years and I think they will never change this, is the height of the planets.
Not only does it feel like only a hundred meter until you reach space when you start with the ship, even worse, when you explore and specially when you build.
Real mountains don't exist in this universe, everything is so flat and you always have the feeling your hitting the proverbial ceiling with some of the hills in the game.

Love it so much what this game has become, but this always punches me out of the game world when I'm deep into it again and love absolute everything else.

I wonder if that's just fundamental to the engine or how the procedural generation is set up. Elite proves a more realistic system would be possible on current-gen consoles, but maybe it was also a design decision. Star Citizen will have smaller planets for gameplay considerations.

If the height was realistic it would potentially take several minutes to half an hour to actually enter an atmosphere safely. Personally I'd prefer it -- seeing realistically-sized geographical features emerge on the horizon as I pass through thick layers of clouds. Adding volumetric clouds in NEXT was honestly one of the most significant upgrades to the game that made the atmospheres seem more real, but full-size worlds would be more impressive. I imagine that would be such a fundamental change though as to have to wait until some kind of NMS2.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

I think VR will address a lot of peoples scale concerns (which obviously doesn't do much for non-VR users, but it's a start). As for atmosphere, I think it's intentionally shallow because they wanted people getting on and off planets as quickly as they can. It's not a space sim, so having long entry or escape times doesn't make sense in NMS like it would in say, Elite Dangerous.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'd really want -- a way to get ground vehicles without having to build a base.

I still want some kind of ground vehicle attached to my starship like Tom Cruise's bike in that movie Oblivion.

I think VR will address a lot of peoples scale concerns (which obviously doesn't do much for non-VR users, but it's a start). As for atmosphere, I think it's intentionally shallow because they wanted people getting on and off planets as quickly as they can. It's not a space sim, so having long entry or escape times doesn't make sense in NMS like it would in say, Elite Dangerous.

I was also gonna add that, on the ground, it could potentially lead to long stretches of empty space between points of interest. I personally wouldn't mind, but for a lot of people it might get boring. They could make ships fly much faster in-atmosphere to compensate, but it would be a tough balance.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Heh... I'm a bit worried if I can play this in VR (other than the flying). Elite Dangerous is the game I had to really work to not get motion sick in and I can handle flying. But the vehicles on planet in that game are the one thing I've done in VR so far that I just cannot get over the motion sickness (I've played Fallout VR, Skyrim a little bit, Arizona Sunshine, Minecraft, American Trucking Simulator and other games... and only need teleport if that is the only way. Though admittedly I do need it to tunnel vision a tiny bit when I move, in fallout I have it set to pretty small amount now, barely noticeable). All that bouncing up and down (especially if it is uncontrollably) just really gets to me. I have bought it and plan on playing it on my PC (I have it on PS4 but I don't have a PSVR but do have a Vive) and I really hope that there is some magic difference that does not make the land vehicles (and maybe even land walking) undoable like in Elite.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017

I had believed this too until literally this week. I just started playing again in preparation for Beyond and was gathering resources in my Permadeath save. I was scouring a planet for copper IIRC with no luck, so I decide to exit to space and fly to the other side of the planet and try my luck there. I noticed that the time to exit the atmosphere was way quicker than normal (less than a couple of seconds). I looked back down at the planet and at first I thought I was on a massive floating island like those that are fairly common in the game, but this one seemed massive. I went back down to the planet to check it out and it turned out it was a massive mountain. It took minutes to find an edge to it from my ship. The mountain was easily 5-10x the height of the hills/mounds you see so frequently in the game.

Man I hope I took a screenshot.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait to download the update and launch NMS with my PSVR for the first time.

It's 14h 1am here where I live... I have a loong day ahead...

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Before a large update is an crazy time. Launch, Atlas Rises, Next and now Beyond, July & August of the last four years has been so incredibly intense Always so nervous the night before, but excited to see real people play tomorrow, to start fixing issues and improving the game.

People have invested so much time and effort into No Man's Sky, hundreds of millions of hours. Unlike Next we aren't wiping the servers or rebooting the universe. We know how much people care about their creations and discoveries.

We've focused on other ways to give the game new life and variety, but know also that Beyond provides a broader foundation for radical things in the future. Beyond is just another step

For you and us, this is version 2.0, but for VR players, and new players, this is their first experience. We're glad to have you on the journey with us, the community is warm and welcoming and Hello Games look forward to surprising you in future

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Sorry if I missed it somewhere but have they clarified a time yet on when to expect the update?

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
I've always found it weird how you can go through a portal to the other side of the galaxy, and not only does your ship teleport with you but you can summom your freighter to your position without issue.

It would be so much more immersive if going through a portal cut you off from your ship, so you had to tentatively explore the planet on the other side until you'd established a new base of operations.

But then portals aren't all that great anyhow, since every region of the galaxy is the same as any other :/

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
People have invested so much time and effort into No Man's Sky, hundreds of millions of hours. Unlike Next we aren't wiping the servers or rebooting the universe. We know how much people care about their creations and discoveries.

I'm actually really bummed by this. It kinda implies terrain and biome generation will remain largely unchanged?

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Any previews mention how the VR is best played for this: standing or sitting?

I never know what would work best in a game like this with a variety of vehicles and also walking around.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Any previews mention how the VR is best played for this: standing or sitting?

I never know what would work best in a game like this with a variety of vehicles and also walking around.
I think ur gonna wanna be able to do both, but I get less motion sick flying while sitting, so If I had to stick to one it would be that.

Last edited:

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Here is my other worry, PS4 performance related. PSVR is supposed to be completely playable in stable 60fps, in the same universe and games modes as the regular game. Meaning, all multiplayer aspects are integrated as normal in VR.

Well, I visited New Lennon, the capital of the Galactic Hub, and it hosts around 30 or so bases on the same planet. Performance on base PS4 is ABYSMAL. I am talking 5fps at points due to the game struggling to load in the many bases near each other.

If no universe reset is a thing and the bases are kept intact, how the hell are they going to handle things like this in VR? What kind of fiendish optimization did these guys do?

Visions wasnt a reset.

But did Visions actually change the look of the game and the biomes all that substantially? That is my point. I expect something much bigger for an update calling itself 2.0. Cautiously optimistic for this reason and the one above the quote.

I'll gladly eat a sock if my fears are unfounded.