• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Speaking of, have they ever fixed the pixelated clouds problem? Sometimes the new clouds looked pretty amazing and good and sometimes they were a 8 bit mess.

The clouds definitely improved between NEXT and Visions on PS4 while on the planet. The problem is that the cloud outline from orbit (in all its pixelated glory) is still visible from INSIDE the freighter. Hopefully that is fixed tomorrow.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
I'm curious to try this again after only briefly playing it at launch and not being completely invested at the time. The game in that state felt massive but empty, and it lacked much progression if I recall. Elite Dangerous was a serious hobby of mine for a time, so I like the general genre. I'm interested in seeing how I feel about it after all of the massive changes that have occurred since launch. And kudos to the devs for not monetizing that. I also low-key hope that it's capturing enough to push me over the edge on finally buying a PSVR. I think this game would be trippy as hell in VR in the best possible way.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
If the cloud glitches, ship entry animation (or lack thereof), hyperdrive sequence and pop-in are fixed, that alone will be worth booting this game up again.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I had believed this too until literally this week. I just started playing again in preparation for Beyond and was gathering resources in my Permadeath save. I was scouring a planet for copper IIRC with no luck, so I decide to exit to space and fly to the other side of the planet and try my luck there. I noticed that the time to exit the atmosphere was way quicker than normal (less than a couple of seconds). I looked back down at the planet and at first I thought I was on a massive floating island like those that are fairly common in the game, but this one seemed massive. I went back down to the planet to check it out and it turned out it was a massive mountain. It took minutes to find an edge to it from my ship. The mountain was easily 5-10x the height of the hills/mounds you see so frequently in the game.

Man I hope I took a screenshot.
Yeah you never know what you might find in this game, I'm sure there are rules to the procedural creation but sometimes it seems like rules are broken. I totally found a huge creature so big that I could walk beneath it's belly before they supposedly didn't exist in the game. I also found a water planet, like 99.9% water, when planets supposedly all looked the same. Haven't seen any mountains that big though but it's cool to know you can stumble upon those as well.

Anyway...
Hyyype!
Is there a countdown timer somewhere so I know when Beyond is up?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Played some Astro Bot yesterday on PSVR and man, I hope it will look at least as good in VR as this, specially the clarity of Astro Bot was a huge factor in why you felt you're inside that world.
I really hope they got the resolution right. A bad res in NMS could ruin the whole feature for me.

Oh and of course the controls and tracking and stuff and maybe even more importantly, the scale. I have the most problems with VR games when the scale isn't right, which happens in 90% of all games, when you standing in a room but you, literally, feel that something is off, like the room is too high or the doors too big or the gun in your hand is 30% bigger than a real one and sometimes you can't even pinpoint it, you just know something isn't right.
This VR mode could be a hit or miss, there is just too much you can do wrong here.
Let's just hope for a homerun.😶

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you never know what you might find in this game, I'm sure there are rules to the procedural creation but sometimes it seems like rules are broken. I totally found a huge creature so big that I could walk beneath it's belly before they supposedly didn't exist in the game. I also found a water planet, like 99.9% water, when planets supposedly all looked the same. Haven't seen any mountains that big though but it's cool to know you can stumble upon those as well.

Anyway...
Hyyype!
Is there a countdown timer somewhere so I know when Beyond is up?

No one knows when the update will drop, only speculation. I'm about to try to sleep and hope the patch notes are up when I wake up!

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
If we're basing it on the previous updates, then 9AM EST, 6AM PST.

About 7.5 hours from now. If I knew which site offered free dynamic images for countdown purposes, I'd make one and share it here.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Played some Astro Bot yesterday on PSVR and man, I hope it will look at least as good in VR as this, specially the clarity of Astro Bot was a huge factor in why you felt you're inside that world.
I really hope they got the resolution right. A bad res in NMS could ruin the whole feature for me.

Oh and of course the controls and tracking and stuff and maybe even more importantly, the scale. I have the most problems with VR games when the scale isn't right, which happens in 90% of all games, when you standing in a room but you, literally, feel that something is off, like the room is too high or the doors too big or the gun in your hand is 30% bigger than a real one and sometimes you can't even pinpoint it, you just know something isn't right.
This VR mode could be a hit or miss, there is just too much you can do wrong here.
Let's just hope for a homerun.😶

For me it's the opposite. I always feel that I'm too big in the game. I have a demo of some game I think got abandoned (planetrism) but I willl say it got scale perfectly and it is amazing how much more immersive very is when scale is right (it was suppose to be about settling a planet I think). Most other games always feel off like you say. Just for me it seems like they all have scale too small.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
If we're basing it on the previous updates, then 9AM EST, 6AM PST.

About 7.5 hours from now. If I knew which site offered free dynamic images for countdown purposes, I'd make one and share it here.
Perfect!! :D I'm just about to go to work and get the kids to school, so now we all have something cool to look forward to later.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I'm so ready for Beyond. Played through the main game back when it came out and actually had a really good time with it. Now that they've FINALLY implemented a VR mode (it was always the dream ) I can't wait to jump back in and immerse myself in what I hope feels like a completely different experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
My biggest critique after all these years and I think they will never change this, is the height of the planets.
Not only does it feel like only a hundred meter until you reach space when you start with the ship, even worse, when you explore and specially when you build.
Real mountains don't exist in this universe, everything is so flat and you always have the feeling your hitting the proverbial ceiling with some of the hills in the game.

Love it so much what this game has become, but this always punches me out of the game world when I'm deep into it again and love absolute everything else.
I recall after one of the major updates I was playing with folks and we were on a planet with some pretty massive mountain-like structures. Had to fly up to get to the level areas.

In fact, on the planet I'm on right now there are some decently sized small mountains. I'll record a quick clip to see how far up the mountain beside me goes.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I recall after one of the major updates I was playing with folks and we were on a planet with some pretty massive mountain-like structures. Had to fly up to get to the level areas.

In fact, on the planet I'm on right now there are some decently sized small mountains. I'll record a quick clip to see how far up the mountain beside me goes.

Wait we have actual mountains now? I only dabbled a little after the last big update but did not see mountains that were bigger than before ( or valleys and canyons that were deeper)
I am hoping that VR will change the feeling of scale for me, it did so in skyrim. Everything felt bigger than before.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
It seemed like the game got mountains fairly early on when one of the first terrain adjustments was done. I remember a couple taking me ages to reach the top but I've not seen anything like those since. I figured they had been removed after another adjustment to the terrain but could be just poor luck in finding them I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Wait we have actual mountains now? I only dabbled a little after the last big update but did not see mountains that were bigger than before ( or valleys and canyons that were deeper)
I am hoping that VR will change the feeling of scale for me, it did so in skyrim. Everything felt bigger than before.
I remember after one of the updates we found some pretty nice canyons, and some big mountains. The planet I'm on has some decently sizes mountains, but they aren't nearly as tall as the ones I remember we were in awe of.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I remember after one of the updates we found some pretty nice canyons, and some big mountains. The planet I'm on has some decently sizes mountains, but they aren't nearly as tall as the ones I remember we were in awe of.

Okay that's bigger than I remember.

But the scale seen on a planetary basis is still way off but I suppose that is a technical limitation.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Best believe I'm using all the time I can to get the OT as cram-packed as possible based on the last one but.. a little spruced up. Looking to use the next 3hrs if I can before posting, but if they catch me with my pants down I can post within ~10m of knowing. Hoping for a UK afternoon launch though, so I can get it to where I'm happy and can jump into VR with everyone.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm up for a few more hours, working to pass the time. If I get this before I go to bed, I'm be one sleepy ass dude at work, lol. I've waited since the day I got No Man Sky for this day to happen.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Best believe I'm using all the time I can to get the OT as cram-packed as possible based on the last one but.. a little spruced up. Looking to use the next 3hrs if I can before posting, but if they catch me with my pants down I can post within ~10m of knowing. Hoping for a UK afternoon launch though, so I can get it to where I'm happy and can jump into VR with everyone.

Since we're taking the larval lamptramps to the sealife centre this morning I too am looking forward to a civilised 13:00 UTC start :)

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Much respect.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Sure please, I'm interested.

For me it's the opposite. I always feel that I'm too big in the game. I have a demo of some game I think got abandoned (planetrism) but I willl say it got scale perfectly and it is amazing how much more immersive very is when scale is right (it was suppose to be about settling a planet I think). Most other games always feel off like you say. Just for me it seems like they all have scale too small.

I think I know what you mean. It's a weird mix, items mostly feel too big and large and some objects are massive like doors, but in general I agree, at the same time you as person feel bigger and too big for the rooms your in, it's sometimes that both doesn't work, it seems that's really hard to nail for some devs.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
C'mon Hello Games! Give me a morning Europe update release just this once! I'm leaving for vacation in like 7 hours.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
man I wonder if I will get motion sickness when using the Jetpack for fast traversal.

Thank god it's an holiday here tomorrow. Will hopefully get some gaming done :)

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Oh have a wonderful time, and yes – hopefully they're working to respect both of our busy schedules with their global release ;P

2 hours in a jam after a lorry of batteries has melted the Autobahn... Time to cut our losses and get home, perhaps before we hit friday.
And I really do wish Devs would check my calendar when they schedule such things, I'm frightfully busy ;)

jolenar

Apr 2, 2019
Just bought the game as I noticed it's 50% off on PS Store, the game seems to be in a really good state with Beyond and it seems like a great game to play together with my kids. Now I just want work hours to fly by...

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I wanted to play a bit before work, but the update wasn't online this morning (2 hours ago)

Oh well, I'll have an hour after work to try before going to the cinema, and tomorrow is a bank holiday here, so plenty of time to explore space in VR instead of sleeping :)

CheeseWraith

Oct 28, 2017
I can't belive I'm thrilled more than three years ago.

I did not expect that, and I'm happy this is my only week off until xmas.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions for PSVR. I am a bit concerned about performance and image quality tbh. But if those are good enough I will buy it. And how does all this shared universe stuff even work without PS+?

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Any impressions for PSVR. I am a bit concerned about performance and image quality tbh. But if those are good enough I will buy it. And how does all this shared universe stuff even work without PS+?

If it's anything like it is now, you will be able to see the bases of other players without PS+. Also, you ARE able to see other players, but only as silhouttes/orbs you can voice chat with, but do little else with. Only with PS+ can you actually join a session, see the other player model, their ships/freighters/fleet, etc.

tenor.gif

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
I jumped the gun and purchased it from the PS store (its 50% off in EU). Wanted to wait a bit for player impressions on the whole PSVR implementation, but all previews are superb and the hype intensifies. Plus it will be my first dive into the game since it's launch in 2016 and I have a great feeling I'm in for a ride.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
If it's anything like it is now, you will be able to see the bases of other players without PS+. Also, you ARE able to see other players, but only as silhouttes/orbs you can voice chat with, but do little else with. Only with PS+ can you actually join a session, see the other player model, their ships/freighters/fleet, etc.

tenor.gif
Well that's good enough for me. I think this is a game better enjoyed alone for some nice escapism.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just give me another hour Sean. Only had two hours sleep and been on this OT for eleven hours straight sans that power nap.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even realise there is no patch note yet. Sean really overslept (or did not sleep at all last night ^^)