• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I did the Abyss stuff this morning, had insomnia and so plowed through it. Its like a 5-6 chain fetch quest more or less. Gives you better water gear and base underwater stuff, the Nautilon or w/e its called (it is cool, a bit weird to control) and a custom helmet I think? Was a real bear for me since it was on an extreme TOXIC planet and the initial quest location was in the middle of a biiiiig ocean, so I had to swim out for 10 minutes solid while constantly crafting oxygen capsules and advanced ion batteries. luckily I've got tons of everything but man it was like, back to survival mode with S rank stuff. it took "days" overall.

They still haven't fixed the bug on the ship dashboard where the geometry of my ship is supposed to show, it's totally cosmetic but it drives me crazy, it literally looks like a busted screen in my fancy spaceship and it's an old bug now.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
Are they taking a week off from the community events this week for the Abyss update, or is my game just bugged? I don't see an entry in my quest log for it.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/9sdg4r/no_mans_sky_update_170_megathread/

Information Summary

FLORA AND FAUNA

The variety and visual quality of underwater biomes has been greatly improved. Experience rare exotic aquatic biomes as you explore new depths. Underwater creatures have become more frequent, and more interesting. Aquatic life inhabits the full depth of the ocean, and unique terrifying creatures can be encountered on the ocean floor.

AQUATIC MISSIONS

A new story, The Dreams of the Deep, brings a new context to the depths and a dark narrative to No Man's Sky. Discover the fate of a troubled crew stranded from a freighter crash by the rising tides, or explore underwater ruins to uncover the tale of a lost soul trapped deep beneath the waves.

SUNKEN WRECKS

Investigate sunken ruins and find ancient treasures or dive to submerged buildings to find remnants of their lost occupants. Discover and scavenge lost cargo from gigantic freighter wrecks. Use the terrain manipulator to excavate treasures buried in the nearby ocean floor. Find and repair rare crashed star ships to restore them from the seabed to the skies.

SUBMARINE

Master the depths of planets using a new Exocraft, the Nautilon. This submersible vehicle gives new meaning to underwater navigation, combat and mining – and can be summoned to any ocean on the planet, as well as docked at underwater buildings. Upgrade your submersible with installable Submarine Technology and customise the Nautilon to stand out from your fellow explorers.

SUBMERSIBLE BUILDING MODULES

Over a dozen new base parts have been added to unlock more creative possibilities underwater. Construct the new Marine Shelter for brief respite from the oceanic pressure, and use its protection to reach new depths. New glass corridors, viewing bays and multistory submersible view domes provide travellers the perfect view of the surrounding ocean. Bring aquatic life into your habitat with a decorative indoor Aquarium.

How to Start the new "Dreams of the Deep" quest

If you are not far enough through the Artemis questline, the mission will not start. The game will wait for you to get to a certain point first. Completing The First Traveller will allow you to accept the new mission. Also - if you havecompleted the Artemis quests, try jumping to a new system. That should trigger the new mission.

Patch Notes

UNDERWATER GAMEPLAY AND VISUALS

• Increased the diversity of underwater biomes.
  • Improved character movement in the water.
  • Improved surface swimming.
  • Improved swimming for customised characters.
  • Allowed the torch to be used underwater.
  • Improved underwater and swimming cameras.
  • Improved camera behaviour when approaching the surface of the water.
  • Added support for jetpacking underwater.
  • Increased the probability of oxygen spawning as a secondary resource underwater.
  • Increased the depths at which underwater buildings can spawn.
  • Prevented drones spawning underwater or following you deep underwater.
  • Added underwater only emotes.
  • Improved underwater character and swimming audio.
  • Improved underwater prop placement and object densities.
  • Improved terrain editing underwater and fixed an issue where it could rapidly propel the player upwards.
  • Improved colours of the water surface, and underwater effects.
  • Improved foam effect at the edges of water and objects.
  • Fixed an issue where a line could be seen round underwater objects and the underwater horizon.
  • Improved water visuals at night.
  • Removed a hard pixelated edge seen at the edge of water.
FISH AND UNDERWATER CREATURES

• Improved detection of whether the player is inside a building while underwater.
  • Improved general fish shoal behaviour.
  • Increased spawn rates of fish and creatures underwater.
  • Improved predatory fish movement and behaviour.
  • Improved logic for spawning and despawning underwater creatures.
  • Improved movement of underwater cow and rodent type creatures.
  • Improved and added to fish and underwater creature audio.
  • Added jellyfish, clams, crabs, and abyssal horrors.
UI

• Disabled censorship in text chat between friends.
  • Added more options to the inventory transfer menu.
  • Removed unnecessary UI data to improve load times and memory footprint.
  • Disabled resizing the terrain beam at times when it cannot be used.
  • Fixed cases where quick menu items were incorrectly highlighted.
  • Fixed issues with vehicle inventory transfers.
  • Fixed the hazard icons for protection tech against secondary hazards.
  • Fixed a crash caused by opening the inventory while using the ship communicator.
  • Improved ordering of some objects in the building menu.
  • Fixed a clipping issue in the binocular UI.
  • Fixed an occasional crash in the character customiser.
  • Various minor text and localisation fixes and improvements.
BASES AND BUILDINGS

• Added the chance for abandoned buildings, ruins, crashed freighters, and crashed starships to spawn underwater.
  • Fixed an issue where players could fall through storage room walls.
  • Allowed storage rooms to be placed in a grid layout.
  • Made minor improvements to the indoor camera.
  • Corrected volume of NPC speech inside player bases.
  • Fixed an issue where shop terminals placed in bases could cause certain rooms to be hidden.
  • Altered limits on building some objects rewarded through the Quicksilver bot.
  • Added a new underwater shelter building.
  • Added over a dozen new base parts.
FREIGHTERS, SHIPS AND SPACE

• Improved spawning of frigates in multiplayer games when players are onboard them.
  • Fixed an issue where the players ships would incorrectly appear in a new system after warping.
  • Fixed cases where specific frigates would always take the same type of damage.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple fleet missions would automatically be handed in simultaneously.
  • Added ability to scan frigates and freighters using the Analysis Visor.
  • Added ability for players to repair their friends' frigates.
  • Fixed issues with characters on the freighter after the player is gifted it.
  • Prevented dust being permanently active on frigate landing pads.
  • Improved ejecting from your ship in confined spaces, prevented being launched through low hanging ceilings and anomaly walls.
  • Improved positioning of players getting out of ships and respawning on landing pads.
  • Fixed an issue where frigates failed to reset their resource collection after giving resources to the player.
  • Fixed a crash caused by the anomaly in certain systems.
  • Added a marker for off-screen black holes.
  • Made frigate icons less intrusive.
  • Prevented the anomaly being re-summoned if it is already present.
  • Added ability to detect planets with water from the galactic map.
  • Fixed an issue where the player could not land their ship after switching missions while looking at a mission marker.
  • Added a vehicle shop to the space station.
  • Fixed issues where players could be stuck in ship landing pads.
MISSIONS AND PROGRESSION

• Added the Dreams of the Deep mission.
  • Added a new story to underwater ruins.
  • Added a number of new aquatic substances, goods, and products.
  • Improved the return marker on portals the player has travelled through.
  • Fixed an issue where some missions would always give an identical reward.
  • Improved ability for missions to select locations to send you to from small clusters of buildings.
  • Fixed an issue where protection tech would only drain for one hazard at a time.
VEHICLES

• Reduced the radius on the vehicle gun to ensure particles spawn at the contact point.
  • Improved vehicle boost effect colours.
  • Disabled the find building ability in the vehicle's default scan, as it has been replaced by an improved scan.
  • Removed decals from the default vehicle, allowing player to add them.
  • Improved colours of vehicle decals.
CREATURES

• Fixed cases where birds would fly into the ground.
  • Improved rodent tail animation.
  • Improved creature scanning in multiplayer.
  • Fixed an issue where filters for creature part generation were not correctly applying to all genders.
  • Fixed an issue where biological horrors could become non-hostile after attacking an exocraft.
SYSTEM

• Improved shader uniform resolution on PC, a performance optimisation.
  • Fixed an issue where there could be a long pause on a black screen when booting into the game.
  • Improved multiplayer permissions for lobby use.
  • Changed default multiplayer permissions to be more permissive in Creative Mode.
  • Fixed various infrequent crashes.
  • Implemented various performance, system and stability fixes.

excowboy

Oct 29, 2017
So, I built the Nautilon geobay, and now need to make a Hydrothermal Fuel Cell, but its not in my crafting recipe menu :(

Anyone encounter this bug?

I tried save/reloading and building a new Nautilon bay but no dice.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Had a moment that perfectly justified the Abyss update.

I went to find a marked ruin on another planet and discovered it was on a solitary island in the middle of an ocean:

1b4bYtP.png

Had to land on an adjacent island and swim there. It was basically the first time I'd gone underwater since the new update (the planet I was previously on had no water) and it was just a full ocean full of life.

Also, later on I finally realized instead of shooting asteroids for Tritium and Pyriate and clogging my inventory with a bunch of elements I don't need, I could just fly over to a fleet and buy the Tritium off some traders. That was possibly the most "space trader sim" moment I've had in this game so far, and proof that it's beginning to work. Still, the space trader/smuggler-esque sim portion of NMS is feeling a bit neglected since its turn towards base-building survival game.

And I still think it'd be dope if someone made something that was to this game what Dragon Quest Builders is to Minecraft -- a more traditional JRPG-like main quest structure put on top of this space exploration artifice. NMS has the skeleton frame of story modes but I'm talking about something that really is on the level of a Dragon Quest XI or something. It still sucks nobody really makes space RPGs.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I've said this in this thread before, but at some point NMS really needs to up its game in terms of navigating solar systems. That new orrery view in Elite Dangerous is seriously dope. NMS doesn't have to have that, just some way to make it easier to set custom markers on planets without having to turn your ship all the way to them or even worse, fly around another planet to see a body that's behind it. I suggest letting players plant waypoints on planets and moons from the Discoveries menu. That would be similar to the menu in Elite that shows all the bodies in a system on a list. A 2D map of each system would work fine too (like the one in Elite). I guess that's just one other way in which the space gameplay hasn't been developed as much as the surface survival gameplay. Maybe at some point there will be a big space-oriented update that does for space gameplay what Abyss does for underwater gameplay.

If they keep at it No Man's Sky could turn into one seriously deep and varied game. Stuff like Abyss suggests Hello Games is welling to put lots of development into really disparate aspects of this game. Depending on what happens NMS could turn into a real landmark for "Fight, Trade, Explore" space sandbox games.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I don't know if I've said this in this thread before, but at some point NMS really needs to up its game in terms of navigating solar systems. That new orrery view in Elite Dangerous is seriously dope. NMS doesn't have to have that, just some way to make it easier to set custom markers on planets without having to turn your ship all the way to them or even worse, fly around another planet to see a body that's behind it. I suggest letting players plant waypoints on planets and moons from the Discoveries menu. That would be similar to the menu in Elite that shows all the bodies in a system on a list. A 2D map of each system would work fine too (like the one in Elite). I guess that's just one other way in which the space gameplay hasn't been developed as much as the surface survival gameplay. Maybe at some point there will be a big space-oriented update that does for space gameplay what Abyss does for underwater gameplay.

If they keep at it No Man's Sky could turn into one seriously deep and varied game. Stuff like Abyss suggests Hello Games is welling to put lots of development into really disparate aspects of this game. Depending on what happens NMS could turn into a real landmark for "Fight, Trade, Explore" space sandbox games.

Given the scope of No Man's Sky and the potential of the engine, Hello Games could keep expanding the game years to come. The question is whether the game can sustain a minimum level of sales ecah year to keep funding it. I'm not sure I'd actually pay for a DLC at this point except maybe a Vulkan port.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the scope of No Man's Sky and the potential of the engine, Hello Games could keep expanding the game years to come. The question is whether the game can sustain a minimum level of sales ecah year to keep funding it. I'm not sure I'd actually pay for a DLC at this point except maybe a Vulkan port.
Part of their success seems to be keeping the game at 60$ and going to 30$ when they have a big hyped name update. Next was #1 on the charts for a while. Its definitely a service focused game. I imagine at least 1.8 and 1.9 will be free. 2.0 might just be NMS 2 and be paid.

Mar 17, 2018
Well I finally found my sweet spot to begin the game. Whatever they have going with the ground shadows is hideous. Likewise, a modder has a mod that completely takes them out. The clouds also move too fast for my liking. Besides clouds and background detail being crap, the game honestly looks and plays pretty good these days. So much better than at launch.

I got a few mods for the atmospheric clouds and a few other things that can be improved. I really hope Hello goes back to do another pass on the clouds and the the awful shadows. I literally had to mods those shadows off. On my planet the shadows were crossing the planet in waves like every three seconds and there were no clouds overhead. It looked totally broken. Without those shadows on the ground, and slower moving clouds it looks so much better.

Honestly, the guy that does the rotator cloud thing and a couple other mods with clouds also has the turn off ground shadows mod. It should be added to that list.

Slow Clouds: https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/760?tab=posts

No Cloud Shadows: https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/703

These two improve the game immensely IMO.

Last edited:

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Oh shit. they fixed vehicles just disintegrating trees. My bike is just bouncing off the trunks now.

I need a new pc so bad though, exercise in frustration and patience with sub 10 frames and constant freezing while trying to drive on land.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Okay I'm just stuck now with no log on what I must do next. I've just been going back and forth looking for survivors of the freighter and I've hit a wall. Nothing else is happening mission wise.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
I must be fucking stupid because I have taken twenty photos of 10+ fish swarms at the right coordinates and still cannot get the community research mission to progress

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
I must be fucking stupid because I have taken twenty photos of 10+ fish swarms at the right coordinates and still cannot get the community research mission to progress
The picture taking stuff is kinda wonky. If you're on PS4 you can't just push the share button, you have to hold it down until that little sidebar come up, and then do the "press triangle to take screenshot" thing.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
The picture taking stuff is kinda wonky. If you're on PS4 you can't just push the share button, you have to hold it down until that little sidebar come up, and then do the "press triangle to take screenshot" thing.
You're a freakin livesaver man! Wish they had made that known.. the entire time I was just taking quick screenshots. Thank you!

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Hope someone can help solve my problem with this lol.

Glad they patched the photo missions to get more success taking pics.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Finally started playing Abyss and it's bugged. I answered the call a few days ago and did the Community Event. Now it's asking me to find a system with water but that's it, no signal co-ordinates. No solid line in the Galaxy Map. No way to Reset the Quest.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
On a hunch I warped halfway across the galaxy to the 2-planet system where I have a temporary base and the marker showed up on the other planet LOL. Not very well designed releasing the community event (that requires a lot of system hoppping) right after the update and no good way to relocate the mission marker after you travelled light years away from it.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Man's Sky was nominated for a game award for anyone curious. Best ongoing game. It wont win next to something like Overwatch but it deserved the nom.

Sean is happy, i mean, it kind of vindicates them a bit sticking with it.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Abyss is pretty cool. It's been a long time since the oceans were worth exploring. Now they need to make space combat more exciting!

No Man's Sky was nominated for a game award for anyone curious. Best ongoing game. It wont win next to something like Overwatch but it deserved the nom.

Sean is happy, i mean, it kind of vindicates them a bit sticking with it.

Well deserved.

Last edited:

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I bought this Day 1, put 80 hours into it in like two weeks and then got busy with other games.

It's incredible to see how much this game as evolved, going to see what's new.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
is this game well explained for newcomers? If I buy it now is all the content properly explained?
Also how is pc performance?

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
is this game well explained for newcomers? If I buy it now is all the content properly explained?
Also how is pc performance?

Most of the storylines are presented as a tutorial and help you unlock everything so it's pretty noob friendly aside from a few QOL quirks. Performance is mostly good on a decent PC at 1080p. There are also plenty of mods to enhance the game (and a few I wouldn't even bother playing the game without).

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I hadn't played the game since the Abyss update, but my daughter woke me up saying "We have to play the spaceship game!," so I figured it's time to check it out. They added a ton of stuff underwater; it's like No Man's Subnautica. I'm really hoping there aren't giant monsters swimming around; those eyeball stalks are weird enough. Only did a couple missions in the new questline; I'll have to check it out more.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
This may be a stupid question. Is the game server reliant? If for example, 10 years from now I want to play the game will the developers servers need to be still switched on or will I be able to play the game without access to their servers?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This may be a stupid question. Is the game server reliant? If for example, 10 years from now I want to play the game will the developers servers need to be still switched on or will I be able to play the game without access to their servers?
You can buy this off GOG and have a completely offline time. Its why they delayed the multiplayer on gog because of DRM concerns. I believe same is true for steam but it has Steam DRM.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Doubtful that it's reliant on developer servers. I had the GOG version originally, so I was always offline, and everything worked fine (this was pre-multiplayer). You obviously wouldn't be able to see anyone else and you won't be able to rename your unique discoveries and have other people see them, but the game itself will function fine.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
It appears the trailer for the next expansion to No Man's Sky was accidentally released early. Lots of good stuff to look forward to:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Hey guys. I paused a bit with the game since a few days before they added events and the new currency, so basically right before anything new got added, now I'm pumped to come back after the brand new update dropped.

Is there any summary out there on what exactly I have missed and what is new since then up to the newest patch?

Also, any good written text to the events and currency and how that all works? Did I missed items that I can't get anymore?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Hey guys. I paused a bit with the game since a few days before they added events and the new currency, so basically right before anything new got added, now I'm pumped to come back after the brand new update dropped.

Is there any summary out there on what exactly I have missed and what is new since then up to the newest patch?

Also, any good written text to the events and currency and how that all works? Did I missed items that I can't get anymore?
The community events give quicksilver, which is a currency that can only be obtained by participating in those events. Quicksilver is exclusively used at a store that sells cosmetic items, like decals, statues and new emotes. I don't know if you can earn enough Quicksilver to buy all the existing cosmetic items just through doing continuing community events now, but it's nothing that affects gameplay. The events themselves are very basic; you travel to a central location via a supplied portal (you don't have to worry about having coordinates or glyphs) and then it tells you to engage in some activity, e.g. feed animals or mine a specific ore. You get it, you get rewards, and you can keep earning the reward up to a specific Quicksilver cap. It's very basic, but it is cool to go from being alone to suddenly being surrounded by activity from other people.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The Community Events are timed so it's too late, except for the last one which might drop next week. You could always cheat and use the save game editor to "gift" yourself the reward items.

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
Heya, bought the game at day zero played it for a week and never touched to it again.
Started to play again few days ago and kinda got overwhelmed with all the new stuff and crafting. I have some questions tho, never been a fan of building and crafting things. Do I have to build a base? I kinda made a small hut cuz of the tutorial but don't plan to improve it.

Also I think i am screwed. I left my ship on a planet, ran out of fuel for thrusters and i have started to wander around (which i like a lot) and now too far from ship..maybe like 2or 3 hours of walking distance. Even tho i crafted fuel it is on my inventory now. Is there a way to summon ship or go back to it quickly? If i kill myself am i gonna spawn near ship?

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Heya, bought the game at day zero played it for a week and never touched to it again.
Started to play again few days ago and kinda got overwhelmed with all the new stuff and crafting. I have some questions tho, never been a fan of building and crafting things. Do I have to build a base? I kinda made a small hut cuz of the tutorial but don't plan to improve it.

Also I think i am screwed. I left my ship on a planet, ran out of fuel for thrusters and i have started to wander around (which i like a lot) and now too far from ship..maybe like 2or 3 hours of walking distance. Even tho i crafted fuel it is on my inventory now. Is there a way to summon ship or go back to it quickly? If i kill myself am i gonna spawn near ship?
Should be able to refuel the ship from the menu and summon it to you.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
6.1GB patch currently downloading on PS4.

EDIT: There's definitely been some sort of galaxy refresh. Goodbye, my beautiful blue-grassed home planet. :(

Last edited:

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
Have you guys ever set foot on a planet discovered and named by someone else? Is it even possible?

I name every planet I visit as 'Barbie Land -insert random numbers and letters-' haha

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
The Community Events are timed so it's too late, except for the last one which might drop next week. You could always cheat and use the save game editor to "gift" yourself the reward items.

So they really have artificial limited items that you can't get anymore after their events?

Shit, I thought at least one game would do it right, cause they nail everything else at the moment. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.