No Man's Sky: NEXT |OT| A Korvax, a Gek and a Vykeen walk into a base..

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of resources you should try to keep a supply of:
-Power for your laser, so either carbon from plants, condensed carbon from big red crystals, or phosphorus from deposits in the ground
-Oxygen for you life support system, from red oxygen rich plants or occasionally as a secondary resource in other plants. When swimming look for plants that look like chandeliers with big white bulbs on them, they can restore your oxygen.
-Sodium or sodium nitrate for your hazard protection system, usually from yellow sodium rich plants, big yellow crystals, or more rarely deposits in the ground.

Your inventory can be expanded either by visiting a spacestation and talking to the last shopkeeper in the line, or by finding and repairing drop pods out in the field. Station is quicker but more expensive, and can only be used once per system.
Yo, thanks for this. I'm still running around like a bit of a headless chicken, but at least I'm a bit more prepared now!

This is the first time I've put proper hours into it since shortly after launch, and they've added so much I find it a bit overwhelming. What's the benefit of all of the little structures I can build by pressing up on the dpad?

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Yo, thanks for this. I'm still running around like a bit of a headless chicken, but at least I'm a bit more prepared now!

This is the first time I've put proper hours into it since shortly after launch, and they've added so much I find it a bit overwhelming. What's the benefit of all of the little structures I can build by pressing up on the dpad?
The portable tech is just that; various pieces of machinery you can pick up and carry with you. The only ones that really matter are:
-the signal booster, which allows you to scan for various settlements and such when you deploy it
-the save point, which allows you to manually save
-the portable refiner, which lets you refine some basic elements.

The base computer lets you claim an area to build a base, the blueprint thing gives you new base parts and the marine shelter gives you somewhere to replenish you air. The rest are kind pointless.

The exocraft stuff is mostly just ramps and stuff for building race courses, and the pads to summon exocraft.

Unicorn

Oct 29, 2017
I hate to be that guy but we've had a gas giant looking planet on the cover before =/.
I disagree. OG was non descript. NEXT clearly had a ringed planet and the larger was pocked by craters. This is clearly a Big Red Spot equivalent within the clouds. So either gas giants or more weather dangers like tornadoes. Gas giants seem more likely in my mind. I've always dreamed of the VR scale within massive miles high storm clouds and sunsets. Realizing that would be worthy of awe, imo.

Edit:

Upon closer inspection it is actually the exact same planet image as NEXT, but transparency increased. Sads.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017

Yooooooooooooooo, that's a gas giant in the back!
I disagree. OG was non descript. NEXT clearly had a ringed planet and the larger was pocked by craters. This is clearly a Big Red Spot equivalent within the clouds. So either gas giants or more weather dangers like tornadoes. Gas giants seem more likely in my mind. I've always dreamed of the VR scale within massive miles high storm clouds and sunsets. Realizing that would be worthy of awe, imo.

Edit:

Upon closer inspection it is actually the exact same planet image as NEXT, but transparency increased. Sads.
It is the exact same planet, but it is now behind the group of people. On the NEXT cover, the planet is in front of them.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just got this for PC, sunk 4 hours already, haha. Really enjoying it, super excited to see what No Man's Sky Online looks like.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
Are freighter warp reactor upgrades still purchasable in the game? I ask because I haven't seen any variant of them with the tech vendor (across the different lifeforms).

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Are freighter warp reactor upgrades still purchasable in the game? I ask because I haven't seen any variant of them with the tech vendor (across the different lifeforms).
Yeah. I found 2 of them at the same vendor recently after not seeing any for a long time. I don't recall which race it belongs to but I'm pretty sure it was a plain old Balanced type system.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys. Guess I'll keep an eye out a little while longer. Just don't know why they've made them so difficult to come by.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Thanks guys. Guess I'll keep an eye out a little while longer. Just don't know why they've made them so difficult to come by.
Probably to balance how freighter warps are super powerful early game. One Warp Cell gets you multiple jumps in a freighter but only one jump in your ship.

Considering everyone gets a free freighter right away now, it's really easy to make lots of jumps early on.

Landford

Oct 25, 2017
Wanting to play it again, but dunno if I should just wait for the update, since they usually cause a lot of issues for existing saves. What do you guys recommend?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with warp balance? Freighters let you warp to any kind of system right? Once I found that out I stopped warping in my ship by itself. I just dock in the freighter every time now.

Jackie Chan

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with warp balance? Freighters let you warp to any kind of system right? Once I found that out I stopped warping in my ship by itself. I just dock in the freighter every time now.
Freighter fuel costs more resources, and goes less distance than the best explorer ships. I usually just warp from my ship out of convenience of not having to land on my freighter, sparing 1 tech slot for the blue warp engine doesn't cost too much.

Wanting to play it again, but dunno if I should just wait for the update, since they usually cause a lot of issues for existing saves. What do you guys recommend?
I think you should dive in and play a bit both before and after the update. It's always a lot of fun to see the difference each update makes. Some things are never quite the same, and there's a definite charm to each iteration of the game that changes a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It's a sticky wicket. I've been playing since Day 1, and I started a new save when Next came out; I was incredibly glad I did (it helps that there's a simple money glitch that can make billions per hour so restoring my progress wasn't prohibitively difficult time-wise). Seeing as how we are close to another major update, maybe it would be good to jump back into an existing save to familiarize yourself with how the game feels now, and then start fresh when the update releases. The pending update probably won't make nearly as many sweeping changes with regards to materials and recipes (Next changed basically everything, including almost all of the elements), but you can never be sure.

Unicorn

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I'm still dealing with rampant memory leaks on win7. I can't find an answer anywhere online. I did find out about TLS 1.2 update as well as ini tweak that boosted my performance a lot! Unfortunately the memory leak persists and crashes my game after a few minutes.

Stagen

Mar 19, 2019
Denmark
I'm definitely going to get back into the game once the next update is out. I'm hoping to rope in some friends for it too. I'll likely start a fresh game, like I usually do. Maybe one day I'll actually play for long enough to make it to the galaxy core? :D

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Santiago, Chile.
NMS Experimental Branch Vulkan

This experimental build is fantastic for my RX 470, it runs almost at locked 60fps all the time, faster loading times, no need to exit the game for graphical settings to apply (maybe this was added since december, I haven't played it since then) this update added that, but the performance feels like I upgraded my GPU.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
NMS Experimental Branch Vulkan

This experimental build is fantastic for my RX 470, it runs almost at locked 60fps all the time, faster loading times, no need to exit the game for graphical settings to apply (maybe this was added since december, I haven't played it since then) this update added that, but the performance feels like I upgraded my GPU.
I just tried it on my R9 380 and AMD FX-8350, the performance seems a lot better. I haven't played it in a few months now so I've noticed certain things like the getting in/out of the ship animation is now just fading to black instead of a flash, also the space stations seem to have a lot less NPCs standing about and the performance in the stations is way smoother for me (but again, these might be some changes that happened a while ago since I haven't played in a while).

Although the shader caching loading is gone, it feels like the game still takes a bit of time to load initially but also feels like the loading times between warps/teleports are longer (the game is installed on an SSD).

Was a bit skeptical about them running the game in VR but the shift to Vulkan and the overall optimizations seem pretty good so far.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Santiago, Chile.
I just tried it on my R9 380 and AMD FX-8350, the performance seems a lot better. I haven't played it in a few months now so I've noticed certain things like the getting in/out of the ship animation is now just fading to black instead of a flash, also the space stations seem to have a lot less NPCs standing about and the performance in the stations is way smoother for me (but again, these might be some changes that happened a while ago since I haven't played in a while).

Although the shader caching loading is gone, it feels like the game still takes a bit of time to load initially but also feels like the loading times between warps/teleports are longer (the game is installed on an SSD).

Was a bit skeptical about them running the game in VR but the shift to Vulkan and the overall optimizations seem pretty good so far.
I didn't noticed the longer loading times, I played for half an hour but it feels so good, I've been playing it for 300+ hours with a chunky framerate when there were too many trees or vegetation, or when flying low on planets. Like you said, let's hope this change makes the VR experience more pleasant.

Unicorn

Oct 29, 2017
New experimental branch has seemingly further increased my performance and I didn't have a crash during an hour of play. 1 data point to measure, but I'm optimistic. (Nvidia card - 960)

Really hope optimization continues with time until the LOD can be really increased while flying. Would love to fly through thick and detailed terrain.

I am also very curious how VR runs on base ps4. I'm curious of flying and driving can feel better there. I'm also torn because the locomotion stuff on PC means I could make this more immersive. Unfortunately I'm losing on both sides. I'd have to get a whole new PC to do VR, and on PS4 I would need to start a completely new save.

I may just have to sit VR out for yet another year or more.

Unicorn

Oct 29, 2017
Just went through my first black hole after nearly 3 years of playing.

I hope black holes get a visual upgrade, especially after our recent achievement to photograph one.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I hope ReShade gets a Vulkan update before this gets released. I use it in most games to fix the washed out contrast (might be my old monitor) and offset DSR/AA blur with LumaSharpen. NMS in particular looks quite bland without a bit of post-process tweaking, IMO.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Seeing my save game on the PS4 Pro is still crashing the game after 10-15 seconds, I wonder if the save game from PS4 can be used with the PC version? Also considering whether to use the PSVR for VR (if it didn't crash) or the PC with the oculus rift.

Unicorn

Oct 29, 2017

This is exciting.

I would also love for 65dos to also add even more tracks to NMS in the update. I would love more instrumentation within the game. Lots of moments when I play and it is just silent. Would love more quiet reflective ambiance.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

This is exciting.

I would also love for 65dos to also add even more tracks to NMS in the update. I would love more instrumentation within the game. Lots of moments when I play and it is just silent. Would love more quiet reflective ambiance.
Oh shit yes. I don't know that that means more NMS material, but I'll gladly take another Unreleased/Unreleasable.

Rex_DX

Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Thinking about jumping into this again on a fresh save. Is there any news of when the Beyond update will drop other than “Summer 2019”?

I’d hate to invest in this game again just in time for my save to get borked.

Anyone else get back into this recently? Regrets?

Unicorn

Oct 29, 2017
Sean has been posting community photos regularly lately. Dunno if that's a sign or a hint with e3 around the corner or not.

I keep popping in, but I have a pretty complete set up, so my interest wanes fast as I'm still just plugging toward the center, kind of. This has always just been an exploration game for me. Haven't been here for "beating" it, but for seeing interesting things.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Did we find out yet what the third part of the next patch is further to vr and the mmo universe? Was that the Vulkan update?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
"Revised HDR support"

Wait, so the PC version has HDR support now?
It's currently available in the experimental branch:

HDR:

We wanted to clarify some points about the HDR implementation. HDR is a new display standard that has been featured on many new monitors and TVs in the past few years. It allows monitors to display brighter colours than were previously possible.

We have supported HDR on consoles for a while, but have been revisiting it in the last few months to take advantage of more recent techniques. The result of this work has been building an entirely new implementation that also works on PC. We want to eventually roll this out cross-platform, but we are keen to preview it and have your feedback. As such, we have integrated it into this experimental Vulkan build.

If you have an HDR monitor you will be able to turn on HDR mode in the Windows 10 Display Settings control panel. If the game detects that HDR is available, you will see a new option in the game graphics settings which can be set to either HDR400, HDR600 or HDR1000. These are presets we've tweaked for the 3 most common HDR monitor standards, and relate to the peak brightness that the monitor can achieve.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

Nov 8, 2017
UK
The wait for this info + release date is KILLING me. I really want to pick up a new VR game, but if I can hold out for this, I can save some money.
Telling me. I'm waiting for them to book a date so I can start on the new OT!

Having moved to the X with the prior update I'll have to restart again going back to the Pro, but that's almost a ritual at this point with updates anyway and I'd have wanted to with VR just to experience it all.

It's going to be amazing and what many of us have been dreaming for since the game released. Still can't believe it's happening.

8byte

Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I wonder if they’ll rework HDR on consoles too, or if it’s a PC only thing.
I imagine with this patch there will be a LOT of engine improvements and changes overall. Otherwise VR would be exceptionally difficult to pull off without either going full bore on scaling everything back (given the performance of the engine up to this point). I'm not expecting the world, but the videos thus far seem to suggest they haven't gone barren for VR, so there must be some significant optimizations coming.

On the topic of whatever the 3rd Pillar is, I hope it's some combat improvements coupled with some new "boss" type enemies. If this game had mini raids of planets / pirate ships / enemy bases...it would really elevate it to a new level of immersive & engaging.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
The wait for this info + release date is KILLING me. I really want to pick up a new VR game, but if I can hold out for this, I can save some money.
Yeah, the early stream of Beyond info followed by a few weeks of mostly radio silence is irksome. By this time last year we had a release date for the Next release, which was in late July, but we also didn't know as much about what was in that release, so it's hard to gauge where things stand.

8byte

Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Yeah, the early stream of Beyond info followed by a few weeks of mostly radio silence is irksome. By this time last year we had a release date for the Next release, which was in late July, but we also didn't know as much about what was in that release, so it's hard to gauge where things stand.
Part of me believes that all of this info was actually supposed to get released a bit later, but it was going to leak so they had to trickle it out a bit sooner. There's a bit more extended silence now, but I think part of that may be due to them waiting for E3 to possibly catch the media frenzy (though I think that's a mistake if that's the case, they'll get drowned out by everything else).