• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Right so I've done some quick sorting out, but I'm busy until about 21:00 CEST (the next 3.5 hours) so I won't be able to sort out much.

If anyone wants in the XBL club "No Man's ERA" can be found here I've done very little work to it so far, but thought it may be handy for the LFG function built into the XBL.

The "No Man's ERA" Discord can be found here for the next 24 hours, again it's pretty limited for now so any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Of course in no way would either be a replacement for Kyuuji's excellent OT but in recent months I've found both (especially discord) have been a good way to join on people playing rather than other means.

Cheers.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
same. i'm just not that big of a fan of how planets look mid-flight, so seeing less is actually much more immersive to me.

Yeah plus you miss the cockpit readout. I really liked that tiny detail they added where if you are paying attention to your dashboard while flying, you can tell when you're being scanned/about to be attacked. I'd like more stuff like that.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Doing a Permadeath run is such a crap shoot. If you don't happen to get a planet with TH around, you're screwed.

Pretty exited to jump back in :) Played 30 or so hours at launch, enjoyed it for a bit, then got tired and have never touched it again.

Missed all of the previous updates and next sounds & looks very promising.

I've been doing a Permadeath run, getting back into the game before NEXT. See above. The one time I had a successful run I was on a freezing planet, had plenty of Carbon and TH (for life support replenishment), had everything repaired and was heading to my ship that was 5 mins away on foot, and I ran into an open plain area with no caves for me to regenerate my suit protection. Probably close to 90 minutes of play gone. GG.

Last edited:

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I have an old save file of this from launch week - I should just start again instead of using it right? Also could I start today or should I just wait until Tuesday at this point?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Right so I've done some quick sorting out, but I'm busy until about 21:00 CEST (the next 3.5 hours) so I won't be able to sort out much.

If anyone wants in the XBL club "No Man's ERA" can be found here I've done very little work to it so far, but thought it may be handy for the LFG function built into the XBL.

The "No Man's ERA" Discord can be found here for the next 24 hours, again it's pretty limited for now so any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Of course in no way would either be a replacement for Kyuuji's excellent OT but in recent months I've found both (especially discord) have been a good way to join on people playing rather than other means.

Cheers.

I sent a request. I'm theWB27 on live.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Really really excited to come back to the game, already have it installed on my PS4! Gotta love the persistent, free support it's been getting for a year and a half now. Only disappointing thing is that on the pre-NEXT ARG they were kinda teasing VR but it looks like it didn't go anywhere. I can assure you this would probably become my favourite game if it had PSVR support.

Nov 14, 2017
I was just wondering: if I go to a new galaxy, can I return back to my base in Euclid from a space station? Never actually been to the centre of the galaxy so I don't know!

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Help I'm stuck in a hole!

So I decided to jump in before they do the big update. I started on a freezing planet, so I jumped into a cave for shelter during my exploration. But it's too high for my jetpack to get out!

Mining laser is at 0%
No resources.
Life support is slowly draining.

What do I do?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So I decided to jump in before they do the big update. I started on a freezing planet, so I jumped into a cave for shelter during my exploration. But it's too high for my jetpack to get out!

Mining laser is at 0%
No resources.

What do I do?
Pretty sure if you just lean up against a wall and push the jetpack you will be able to slide upwards for as long as you want.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Excited to see the update. Although I'm not sure it can beat the amount of content and changes Atlas Rises brought.

mokeyjoe

Dec 22, 2017
Doing a Permadeath run is such a crap shoot. If you don't happen to get a planet with TH around, you're screwed.

I've been doing a Permadeath run, getting back into the game before NEXT. See above. The one time I had a successful run I was on a freezing planet, had plenty of Carbon and TH (for life support replenishment), had everything repaired and was heading to my ship that was 5 mins away on foot, and I ran into an open plain area with no caves for me to regenerate my suit protection. Probably close to 90 minutes of play gone. GG.

I haven't played any Permadeath yet. I might start a new run for Next to see how the beginning is, as I don't want to start a new Normal save, I like my inventory space thanks.

I'm intrigued with the idea of Permadeath MP though.

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Could care less about multiplayer. But I'm very excited to get back into the game from scratch to see all of the changes. Between this and Mega Man, Tuesday is going to be great!

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017

Mining laser is at 0%
No resources.

What do I do?

When you say a hole, do you mean a cave? If it's a cave you'll likely find resources. You should be able to climb out by jet packing up the wall. Have you got any grenades? If you need resources for grenades and you're desperate, break down an upgrade that gives you that resource. If you've got enough room to call your ship, call it right next to the hole and then jetpack as close to it as possible to see if you can then enter it. There's always a way! Don't give up.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you all for the answers.
It's slightly better, but the focus of NMS is still mainly on planets, ground exploration and activities. Elite: Dangerous is far better if you're looking for a proper spaceship experience. I've still really enjoyed what NMS offers, but Elite is unmatched when it comes to its sense of presence, in my opinion.
I have Elite already. I am just looking for some variety, a new coat of paint on the space game. And NMS always looked at least more colourful. I don't expect it to ever be as thorough simulating space as Elite. I'd be content with some competent and fun flying and dogfighting.

Flight controls have been changed with the Pathfinder+Atlas Rises updates and are now a lot better (ie. more responsive with better aiming possibilities, etc.) but still obviously very arcadey.
How arcadey? Battlefront 2 space battle arcadey? Or Starfox / Rogue Squadron arcadey?

The different classes are for player piloted ships and have been there for a year now (fighter, shuttle, etc), and reflect the different stats. The frigate stuff is new for NEXT, and seems currently disabled in the leaked footage so no-one really knows what it entails.

The flight controls are way improved since launch, and dogfighting can be a fun diversion - but its still pretty simple. It's not Freelancer or whatever. It's pretty arcadey though.

From what the leakers have said, the ship handling is roughly the same now (which is OK). There is lot more tech to install though - so I'm not sure how that will change combat.

I think it's sort of a lengthy tutorial type thing which takes you through various mechanics - but it is pretty well written and goes into the lore of the game, which is surprisingly extensive. I'm not sure if it's 30 hours though, maybe half - although if you're playing from scratch I guess it may take you longer because you're also building up your tech and money etc. and can't warp as far.

It's a good place to start with the game IMO, and serves as a nice example of how procedural generation can interact with scripted linear content in interesting ways. I'm looking forward to the weekly missions.
So it does have some substantial amount of dogfighting to engage into? And arcadey like Battlefront?

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm the most excited for is the increased sense of planetary scale, with proper mountains and valleys and stuff. Have we seen any actual examples of that in any footage? I hope Eurogamer wasn't talking BS, cause I've really been missing that. Everything always felt a bit small, not grand enough. It didn't quite give you that "I'm on a PLANET" feeling.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm tempted to buy an 1X only for this game. My Pro gets so loud during this game it is unbearable. The sound is so good in NMS and I can't concentrate on it because of the fan noise. Sucks the immersion right out of the game.

Ace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

I think it could be a great way to play if they tweaked it a little bit.

Right now it's too hard which makes it pretty boring because you're constantly waiting in caves for your suits to replenish.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played atlus rising extensively, but did they change it so farming Mordite isn't the easiest way to get cache? I was grinding to buy a freighter but had to drop the game before doing so. Frieghter prices that show up in some of the screenshots is giving me a scare.

Nov 14, 2017
I haven't played atlus rising extensively, but did they change it so farming Mordite isn't the easiest way to get cache? I was grinding to buy a freighter but had to drop the game before doing so. Frieghter prices that show up in some of the screenshots is giving me a scare.
Apparently in this update they just give you a freighter early on. I don't think mordite farming is the best way to get money anymore, but there are still good ways to farm cash.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Add me to the list of people who played 10-20 hours at launch and not touched it since. I'm optimistic about this update - hopefully I'll get another 10-20 hours out of it.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because they are a major feature of both multiplayer and a new gameplay type they decided to give out a free freighter early in your game now. Price of getting a better one or one you like the look of is still going to cost a fortune though :P.
O M G.

That is amazing and makes earning coin so much easier.

What's the best way to experience NEXT? Start a fresh save?

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm the most excited for is the increased sense of planetary scale, with proper mountains and valleys and stuff. Have we seen any actual examples of that in any footage? I hope Eurogamer wasn't talking BS, cause I've really been missing that. Everything always felt a bit small, not grand enough. It didn't quite give you that "I'm on a PLANET" feeling.
We've definitely seen more naturally coherent environments in the leaked footage so far, and the scale seems to be a little more appropriate, as a result, but I don't know if we've really seen any massive scale changes yet.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So,

You havnt played No Man's Sky since launch...

DdVh5-WU8AA-1wa.jpg

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
I think it could be a great way to play if they tweaked it a little bit.

Right now it's too hard which makes it pretty boring because you're constantly waiting in caves for your suits to replenish.

Got the trophy "To Live Forever" for reaching the centre in Permadeath and honestly the difficulty is what makes it fun. If anything they needed to make it harder becuase the first 2 hours are 50/50 if you get lucky with your starter planet after your ships repaired and you get a few techs your pretty much set and its not very difficult from there on. What I would have loved is if ypu take heavy damage your tech breaks down sinilar to how when you
Go through a black hole
its more survivally if your constantly being tested.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
If there were canyons and mountains that would be really cool. I'm hoping that flying on a planet is generally freer as well - I enjoyed my time with the original game, but it was very frustrating not being able to fly low along the ground or water.

Grieves

Oct 26, 2017
I got a notification on PSN about NEXT.

It said PS+ required which will be interesting as I don't have PS+. Hope they just lock me out of the co-op stuff which I had no interest in anyway.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I was just wondering: if I go to a new galaxy, can I return back to my base in Euclid from a space station? Never actually been to the centre of the galaxy so I don't know!

As of right now, once you leave Euclid, that decision is made. You can't just hop between galaxies (easily). That might change in NEXT.

How arcadey? Battlefront 2 space battle arcadey? Or Starfox / Rogue Squadron arcadey?

So it does have some substantial amount of dogfighting to engage into? And arcadey like Battlefront?

I haven't played BF2, but NMS leans heavily on the arcade side. The flight model in space is not great, but in-atmosphere flight feels really good, letting you do maneuvers like airbrake 180s (and you can dogfight enemies there). The biggest current problem is that the enemy NPC AI doesn't provide a good foundation for dogfighting. They just come straight at you, fly past, turn around and do the same. It's also hard to keep up with their turning ability when chasing them. So I really hope it's something they improve with NEXT.

I'm not sure what you mean by substantial, but you can get into dogfights pretty much any time you want. Of course there's repercussions -- the Sentinels aka space police will come after you -- if you just attack a random NPC ship. There's pirates also. But yeah, as someone who is a big fan of space dogfighting like the old Star Wars games and Wing Commander, don't go in expecting a really polished experience for that. At least not in the current game, I can't speak to NEXT.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they have made any changes to climate and such, or if you can still get lush paradise planets which somehow have temperatures far below freezing and other stuff that doesn't make any sense. There needs to be a better connection between what you see and what the game tells you the climate is.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they have made any changes to climate and such, or if you can still get lush paradise planets which somehow have temperatures far below freezing and other stuff that doesn't make any sense. There needs to be a better connection between what you see and what the game tells you the climate is.

One time I landed on a Lush Planet with Boiling Rain. So like 80% of the time the temperature range was normal and required no suit protection. But every time it rained the temperature shot up to like 300 degrees celcius. Actually thought it was pretty cool.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I can't decide if I want to start playing again right now or on Tuesday. I really want to start fresh with NEXT, but man, I'm almost too excited to wait.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
One time I landed on a Lush Planet with Boiling Rain. So like 80% of the time the temperature range was normal and required no suit protection. But every time it rained the temperature shot up to like 300 degrees celcius. Actually thought it was pretty cool.

This is how the planet where I have my base is, although it rains a lot, so it's it's not much safe, but I kind of like it as a role-playing thing, like if it was safer from pirates and stuff...

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, and it makes sense. Earth rainforests have constant rain (obvs), high humidity/heat, and are quite dangerous. And I also just tell myself that this flora and fauna is alien and evolved to survive more extreme temperature ranges. At least they fixed the early problems where you could get a heat storm on a cold planet.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
If there were canyons and mountains that would be really cool. I'm hoping that flying on a planet is generally freer as well - I enjoyed my time with the original game, but it was very frustrating not being able to fly low along the ground or water.

I believe the in atmosphere flight was fixed a major update or two ago

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
As of right now, once you leave Euclid, that decision is made. You can't just hop between galaxies (easily). That might change in NEXT

To be honest, I always hated the idea of splitting your own player base. A community that is already in a Galaxy with millions of planets, where it's already unlikely to ever meet each other or land on planets with bases already build. This scale is already so unthinkable huge and then you wants them to go into another Galaxy with millions of planets where even less people are, completely split from the other Galaxy? Why? Just why? What a stupid idea, what were they thinking?

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
This is how the planet where I have my base is, although it rains a lot, so it's it's not much safe, but I kind of like it as a role-playing thing, like if it was safer from pirates and stuff...

In that picture, your ship kinda looks a parked space car lmao. Love it, beautiful vista.

Yeah, and it makes sense. Earth rainforests have constant rain (obvs), high humidity/heat, and are quite dangerous. And I also just tell myself that this flora and fauna is alien and evolved to survive more extreme temperature ranges. At least they fixed the early problems where you could get a heat storm on a cold planet.

100%. Completely agree. I thought it was a really cool element to add to the planet. I think its really fun to think about how the planet/fauna/flora evolved with the planet's conditions. Found a planet that was covered in snow and constant snow storms, with no fauna, and the only flora were pine trees. The temperature was extreme cold and sucked down my suit's environment protection. Had to imagine that the only species that could withstand the cold were this only species of trees. It was the only planet I could find the super rare floating jelly fish esque element too, which added to the imaginary "lore" of the planet to me.

mokeyjoe

Dec 22, 2017
To be honest, I always hated the idea of splitting your own player base. A community that is already in a Galaxy with millions of planets, where it's already unlikely to ever meet each other or land on planets with bases already build. This scale is already so unthinkable huge and then you wants them to go into another Galaxy with millions of planets where even less people are, completely split from the other Galaxy? Why? Just why? What a stupid idea, what were they thinking?

Well the game is about setting forth into the unknown - and some people want that solitary experience.

I don't think it will actually split the playerbase though. You can select to join someone else's game and that will hop you to where they are and there's not a particular reason to think this is bound by galaxy.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I want to get it on the One X, but am worried just how small the population will be for multiplayer compared to PS4 considering its still a 2 year old game being released for $50....

Status
Not open for further replies.