• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Are there no crashed starships in NEXT? I haven't seen a single once since the update.
They still exist, yes, but there's generally only a couple per planet, so they're not easy to stumble upon. You can use Transmission towers to find them. Something to note; they have nearly every slot "broken" and require an absolutely ridiculous amount of materials to fix up, so you're better off finding one, adding it to your collection, warping to a new system so it spawns on your freighter and then swapping it out for a passing ship that doesn't have all its slots broken. Whatever you do, do NOT claim the crashed ship expecting to be able to turn around and reclaim the ship you came in; the game no longer lets you do that.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
And since I just bought a second ship, does one take priority over the other when applying hyperdrive upgrades to your freighter?

I noticed that when I upgraded my first starship's hyperdrive to go to different color systems, those upgrades applied to my freighter, and I've only been using my freighter to warp since then. Does switching my primary ship change this, or does only one of my starships need an upgraded hyperdrive?
All freighters can warp to any color system now.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys I had a question. I got this game about 2 weeks or so ago. Put about 14 hours into it. I enjoy it but I'm wondering is there more to this game

I've
-Done a bunch of Polos rmissions
- recovered 2 crashes starships and fixed 1
- got 2 frigates under me
- traveled to 3 different systems and I just did my second atlas path big red building thing.

Is there anything else that's gonna be different or is it just the same cycle over again.

mokeyjoe

Dec 22, 2017
Hey guys I had a question. I got this game about 2 weeks or so ago. Put about 14 hours into it. I enjoy it but I'm wondering is there more to this game

I've
- traveled to 3 different systems and I just did my second atlas path big red building thing.

Is there anything else that's gonna be different or is it just the same cycle over again.

Well there's the main story and base building. Have you started in on that?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

I've

Do the Artemis quest line; it's the main story, and it unlocks a ton of content, including basebuilding, land vehicles and portals. Beyond that, get missions from the mission boards in the space station; they're a good way to earn money or nanites while exploring. Then focus on upgrading; the game becomes more fun when you aren't constantly shuffling inventory space or waiting on your sprint to recharge.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
They still exist, yes, but there's generally only a couple per planet, so they're not easy to stumble upon. You can use Transmission towers to find them. Something to note; they have nearly every slot "broken" and require an absolutely ridiculous amount of materials to fix up, so you're better off finding one, adding it to your collection, warping to a new system so it spawns on your freighter and then swapping it out for a passing ship that doesn't have all its slots broken. Whatever you do, do NOT claim the crashed ship expecting to be able to turn around and reclaim the ship you came in; the game no longer lets you do that.

But the game lets you keep your old ship rather than trade the ships so you don't need to worry about doing that. Don't even need a freighter to have multiple ships and as long as your ship has launch fuel in the launcher you can call it back (but don't change ships if it's empty cause once it despawns you better have a freighter or you're not getting it back until you get one).

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I've been testing Tessellation on the latest Experimental Patch. The good news is that it mostly looks good where it's actually implemented (rocky terrain benefits the most) and it no longer tanks the frame rate. The bad news is that it takes a few seconds to load over the top of the default texture and often makes the textures look worse for those few seconds. Hopefully it's close to being officially added to the game.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
F450617BB604421B6A14CFB2CA919A5A55401D46

AFE27CAC92C5926D799D281D3582B239A1AB5C09

2ADBA1D656F046BED69A0688BBF50A57437F45CE

Today's work. I'm going for a Japanese castle feel. It's in a cliff face next to a trading post. In the back side there's about 4 stories of concrete levels that will probably be crafting and storage. Top level pictured will be like a lodge or cabin with a view of a nearby forest.
I think I'm finished with the exterior of the building for now. I may reduce the top roof's width, but I spent way too long this weekend working on this. Here's a couple views from the back to show the "underground" or cliff-face portion of the base:
81D8EBDA480F34A5FDB625041F8A166BCE193148

1FD7801612CB70B387958F026EEA88CE7EE92BF4

Also, looking on Youtube and there's like no good videos showcasing bases. Where can I go to find some good base inspiration?

Also also, we need more stuff to deck bases out with. Would love to be able to staff some NPCs outside of the mission terminals.

Mac Dalton

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would love this option too. (nice base)

I need more options for the Capitalship base building . Like doors windows, more NPCs, Outfits, custom sounds etc

I would like to have the option to edit the Bridge and Hanger of my Capitalship etc

I also hope their will be in a Future Update a Shipyard in space... Where we can order custom made, Frigate, Frighter, Capitalships, Hauler, Fighter, etc

PS: No Mans Sky is awesome

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
But the game lets you keep your old ship rather than trade the ships so you don't need to worry about doing that. Don't even need a freighter to have multiple ships and as long as your ship has launch fuel in the launcher you can call it back (but don't change ships if it's empty cause once it despawns you better have a freighter or you're not getting it back until you get one).
You can do it 5 times, but you're limited to 6 ships total, so you can't farm for crashed ships the same way you could in previous versions. Also, crashed ships will have literally everything on board broken, so you have to spend resources to fix the launch thrusters and pulse engine before you can fly it at all, but even if you don't do that, it WILL appear on your freighter after a warp, so you can skip fixing anything on it and just immediately flip it for something that isn't broken. Ship costs are calculated based on slots and class; whether or not everything is broken has no effect on price.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
You can do it 5 times, but you're limited to 6 ships total, so you can't farm for crashed ships the same way you could in previous versions. Also, crashed ships will have literally everything on board broken, so you have to spend resources to fix the launch thrusters and pulse engine before you can fly it at all, but even if you don't do that, it WILL appear on your freighter after a warp, so you can skip fixing anything on it and just immediately flip it for something that isn't broken. Ship costs are calculated based on slots and class; whether or not everything is broken has no effect on price.
I actually like that you have to fix it. I hated when fixing it was just throwing money on it. I now wish we could flip broken ships (pick them up, fix them, and sell them for money, not trade for other ships). I'd love making money that way.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Yeah, ship management is a bit lacking in the game right now. I have an extra exotic I don't even remember picking up and just want to get rid of it, sell it even, but don't really need another ship right now.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there eventually an end to the blueprint that you can get in the blueprint analyzer? The more blueprints I get the more show up in the analyzer.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I actually like that you have to fix it. I hated when fixing it was just throwing money on it. I now wish we could flip broken ships (pick them up, fix them, and sell them for money, not trade for other ships). I'd love making money that way.
Or just go in and remove technology from them to sell. Like Rey in TFA. They've given us massive crashed freighters to explore, but all you find is vaults that give you money. It would be cooler if you could find special types of fuel or technology that you could elect to keep, break down for constituent parts, or sell at a trade terminal for profit. And we definitely need the option to sell off ships we don't want. But it should take into account the upgrades you've installed. A ship with every single slot broken should not sell for the same price as one I've fixed up, fitted with an Indium hyperdrive, and shield, weapon and pulse engine upgrades. Then you'd get some sense of progression out of taking the barn-find and turning it into something that sells for $1,000,000+ at auction.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm finished with the exterior of the building for now. I may reduce the top roof's width, but I spent way too long this weekend working on this. Here's a couple views from the back to show the "underground" or cliff-face portion of the base:
81D8EBDA480F34A5FDB625041F8A166BCE193148

1FD7801612CB70B387958F026EEA88CE7EE92BF4

Also, looking on Youtube and there's like no good videos showcasing bases. Where can I go to find some good base inspiration?

Also also, we need more stuff to deck bases out with. Would love to be able to staff some NPCs outside of the mission terminals.

Nice base, one of the better wooden-style bases I've seen.

Also looks a bit like you made the Flying J Unicorn Spaceport Truck Stop.

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
Is there eventually an end to the blueprint that you can get in the blueprint analyzer? The more blueprints I get the more show up in the analyzer.

I heard it ends. I have no how ever gotten there. I still have 2 pages of stuff to analyze so it feels never ending. I have not even made a real base yet! Just a mismatch of crap so I could get through the quest.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It ends, yes. If you go into Creative mode, all the blueprints are unlocked, so you can scroll through them all and see how many there are; most of those are unlocked through the blueprint analyzer in the regular game.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
I heard it ends. I have no how ever gotten there. I still have 2 pages of stuff to analyze so it feels never ending. I have not even made a real base yet! Just a mismatch of crap so I could get through the quest.

It definitely ends. Prematurely in my opinion, as there are a lot of decorations that are strewn about space stations and outposts I wish we had access to. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find a planet that is just loaded with buried salvaged tech, which makes grinding those much less of a hassle. I ended up putting a base on one such planet, and just drove around picking up all the tech for a couple of hours. Unlocked everything but the decals.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, you'll eventually unlock everything. Before HG patched buried tech modules, I grew so frustrated only digging up nanite clusters I cheated and dupped about 50 or so salvaged tech to speed my way through unlocking the basic building parts. Since the patch, I played by the rules and eventually unlocked all the decorations and decals.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It's not the most efficient way to make money in the game, but I gotta say, adding dozens of similar quests from the mission vendor and doing them all at once feels really rewarding. I ran through every system I had previously been to last night (partially because I was restructuring the tech in my exosuit and needed to farm S-class upgrade modules), and got every open job on the job board that wasn't a fetch quest or pirate hunt. Ended up with 10+ pages of missions. Then I went off and explored 2 planets for maybe 15 minutes; scanned lots of plants and animals and minerals, killed a couple predators, killed a whole lot of other animals, killed a handful of sentinels and 2 sentinel dogs, snapped a couple photos, fairly typical stuff. Then I went and handed in 7 pages of missions all at once. Ended up clearing 15 million plus around 4,000 nanites, and leveling up with every guild and race. It doesn't hold a candle to farming or the elaborate trade routes people have discovered, but it was still cool.

That said, I think I'm going to try learning this whole trade route thing. I'll pick up all the missions in those systems too, and then after I've made a few hundred million doing the boring terminal trading, I can jump down to a planet and make a few extra million exploring. Best of both worlds. Has anyone else bothered to set up a trade route as a way to make huge amounts of money?

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the most efficient way to make money in the game, but I gotta say, adding dozens of similar quests from the mission vendor and doing them all at once feels really rewarding. I ran through every system I had previously been to last night (partially because I was restructuring the tech in my exosuit and needed to farm S-class upgrade modules), and got every open job on the job board that wasn't a fetch quest or pirate hunt. Ended up with 10+ pages of missions. Then I went off and explored 2 planets for maybe 15 minutes; scanned lots of plants and animals and minerals, killed a couple predators, killed a whole lot of other animals, killed a handful of sentinels and 2 sentinel dogs, snapped a couple photos, fairly typical stuff. Then I went and handed in 7 pages of missions all at once. Ended up clearing 15 million plus around 4,000 nanites, and leveling up with every guild and race. It doesn't hold a candle to farming or the elaborate trade routes people have discovered, but it was still cool.

That said, I think I'm going to try learning this whole trade route thing. I'll pick up all the missions in those systems too, and then after I've made a few hundred million doing the boring terminal trading, I can jump down to a planet and make a few extra million exploring. Best of both worlds. Has anyone else bothered to set up a trade route as a way to make huge amounts of money?

I have not tried yet, but with the way those things stack, it seems like it would be a hassle to truly make bank. Maybe if you cleared out all of your inventories and just filled everything up (including your freighter), you could make mad cash. Will have to test it out, maybe with an empty freighter as well. Missions may not be the absolute best money making avenue, but they are one of the best ways to make a lot of nanites (that doesn't involve scouring planets for that one last stupid animal that won't spawn).

For my money-making, I just went the Stasis Device / Fusion Igniter farming route (15-18mil a pop). I'm now sitting on almost half a billion space bucks. I've almost run out of things to spend money on other than just fancier or better looking ships / Multitools, but wouldn't mind hitting that milestone ;)

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I have not tried yet, but with the way those things stack, it seems like it would be a hassle to truly make bank. Maybe if you cleared out all of your inventories and just filled everything up (including your freighter), you could make mad cash. Will have to test it out, maybe with an empty freighter as well. Missions may not be the absolute best money making avenue, but they are one of the best ways to make a lot of nanites (that doesn't involve scouring planets for that one last stupid animal that won't spawn).

For my money-making, I just went the Stasis Device / Fusion Igniter farming route (15-18mil a pop). I'm now sitting on almost half a billion space bucks. I've almost run out of things to spend money on other than just fancier or better looking ships / Multitools, but wouldn't mind hitting that milestone ;)
I legitimately don't care about getting rich; I did the whole farming loop in 1.1-1.3 and made nearly a billion, and blew through a fair chunk getting better freighters. But I don't want to get stuck in another boring gameplay loop of harvest/craft or visiting terminal after terminal. The only thing that makes me want to try it is the last freighter I saved from pirates ended up being a 34 slot S-class dreadnought worth north of 150 million, and I wouldn't mind having one of those.

-EDIT- I found this guide at Reddit, accompanied by this spreadsheet outlining a number of strategies for exploiting trade routes to earn money. It seems like the easiest, and the one I'm going to try first, is to just buy up all the technology modules for sale, immediately sell them all back to crater their price, buy and sell them AGAIN to drive the price as low as it will go, buy them all one last time and then jump to a new system where you can sell them all and turn a profit on your initial investment. You then repeat (buy, sell, buy, jump system, sell, buy, sell, buy, jump system, etc.) until you get bored, sell your final bunch in the last system you visit and you'll make around 7 million per system visited. You don't even need to worry about economy type or strength. I've got 60 or so systems in my list, so that's potentially 400 million for an hour or two spent in menus. I'll see if there's any truth to it.

Last edited:

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately don't care about getting rich; I did the whole farming loop in 1.1-1.3 and made nearly a billion, and blew through a fair chunk getting better freighters. But I don't want to get stuck in another boring gameplay loop of harvest/craft or visiting terminal after terminal. The only thing that makes me want to try it is the last freighter I saved from pirates ended up being a 34 slot S-class dreadnought worth north of 150 million, and I wouldn't mind having one of those.
I can only imagine how much of a slog it was before the Refinery. Not being able to make extra raw mats on-demand sounds like a slow, grindy nightmare.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I can only imagine how much of a slog it was before the Refinery. Not being able to make extra raw mats on-demand sounds like a slow, grindy nightmare.
Yeah, there was a lot of mining giant stacks of ore. There were also a lot fewer raw materials in the earlier days. And you could get upgrades that actually increased the speed of mining, not just let you hold down fire longer.

Anyway, see my edit above for the get-rich-quick scheme I'm going to test out.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
Been having terrible performance on Base PS4. Played last night and ended up just quitting it was so bad. :/

Anyone else on Base PS4 having issues? Is there an incoming fix or am I just outta luck until I get a Pro lol

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Love this game, but after crashing after leaving my galaxy map on my freighter for the 30th time, I cant take it anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
-EDIT- I found this guide at Reddit, accompanied by this spreadsheet outlining a number of strategies for exploiting trade routes to earn money. It seems like the easiest, and the one I'm going to try first, is to just buy up all the technology modules for sale, immediately sell them all back to crater their price, buy and sell them AGAIN to drive the price as low as it will go, buy them all one last time and then jump to a new system where you can sell them all and turn a profit on your initial investment. You then repeat (buy, sell, buy, jump system, sell, buy, sell, buy, jump system, etc.) until you get bored, sell your final bunch in the last system you visit and you'll make around 7 million per system visited. You don't even need to worry about economy type or strength. I've got 60 or so systems in my list, so that's potentially 400 million for an hour or two spent in menus. I'll see if there's any truth to it.
OK, so this works really, really well. I made nearly 500 million units in less than 40 minutes. It's boring, but ridiculously effective. Here's how it works:

Step 1: Buy all the Technology Modules from an NPC or space station terminal. The goal is to get as many as possible, so your best bet is to start in a "wealthy" economy system which tend to have more in stock. You'll want to completely empty your exosuit inventory, high capacity slots as well. Everything needs to be dedicated to Technology Modules.

Step 2: Sell all the Technology Modules you just bought at the space station terminal. Don't sell them back to an NPC; they won't stack with NPC inventory and you'll lose the extras.

Step 3: Buy back all the Technology Modules again. Note the price listing; as you sell more and more in a single system, they will go from around -10% to -77% or so. If they're already at ~-75+%, it's time to move on. If not, repeat steps 2 and 3 again.

Step 4: Once the price is at ~77% or lower, buy as many as you can hold / afford. I had 305 total. 300+ is a good number to shoot for because it eliminates the need to engage in multiple rounds of sell/buy in a single system. It's time to teleport to a new system.

Step 6: Teleport to your new system. Go to the space station terminal and sell your entire inventory. If you're selling over 280 or so, you're going to break the economy in a single turn, which is ideal. When you sell, you'll be selling at around -10% (for 305, this was getting me around 15.5 million per sell).

Step 7: Buy them all back. They should be at -77% or so, which with 305 was costing me about 3.9 million. You sold them all at 15 or so, and you're only paying 4 to get them all back, so you're getting over 11 million on the transaction.

Step 8: Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you run out of systems or patience.

I did this for 50 or so systems and ended up going from 45 million to 515 million in less than 40 minutes. The system economies reset every 24 hours, so theoretically you could run your cycle for less than an hour a day and become a billionaire in fairly short order. And the more systems you can run through, the more you get; it was consistently 10+ million per system. Seems way more efficient than farming (although my word it is boring; have a good podcast or something handy).

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I have the most annoying bug/glitch and I can't seem to fix it.

So when Next came out, I recalled my base from pre-NEXT and placed my specialists in the round large rooms and everyone is like, knee deep (or worse) in the floor. So I decided that maybe it's a terrain thing and I put foundation circles under them. Ok, no go. So I remove and re-add them. No go. Still knee deep in the floor. Just the NPCs, not the stations. So I build 2nd stories and I place them up there. Even worse. Now the Specialist characters are hovering down below on the first floor.

Anyone else encountered or heard of this? It's really, REALLY annoying if you care at all about having fun with base building.

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
Zoology is such bullshit. I'm so moderately pissed about how after finding 10/11, I still couldn't find that last one for hours. I know its a rare random GIANT creature stumbling around but come on. Even on foot or by ship, nothing. This planet is temperate and it has 3 flying creatures (look like slugs), two underwater creatures which one of them was a bitch since there's no lakes, just a waist deep pond like bodies of water and I had to dig to go deep enough to "register" them since they kept glitching out of the pond and disappearing. That glitch was a revelation for me, I'll be doing that the next time I go to another planet. One underground dweller and the rest above the surface.

Anyone else had any ideas, tips, and interesting glitches to see these fauna?

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
Zoology is such bullshit. I'm so moderately pissed about how after finding 10/11, I still couldn't find that last one for hours. I know its a rare random GIANT creature stumbling around but come on. Even on foot or by ship, nothing. This planet is temperate and it has 3 flying creatures (look like slugs), two underwater creatures which one of them was a bitch since there's no lakes, just a waist deep pond like bodies of water and I had to dig to go deep enough to "register" them since they kept glitching out of the pond and disappearing. That glitch was a revelation for me, I'll be doing that the next time I go to another planet. One underground dweller and the rest above the surface.

Anyone else had any ideas, tips, and interesting glitches to see these fauna?

Planets with water typically have 2-3 fauna types. Usually 2 schooling-type creatures, and one predator. If you exit the water, fish will respawn in a different place. If you're looking for all the fish to document, find a largish body of water, and DON'T exit the water. Just refill your air reserve mod with oxygen and stay underwater. Predators will tend more to deeper waters, but typically I've found you'll find the most sea animals nearer to the shore than super deep open oceans.

But yeah, documenting water planets is a bit more annoying than just straight land-only planets.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Guessing that Quicksilver vendor is PC patch only at this point. Don't see it on PS4. :)

ParityBit

Oct 25, 2017
So I have 3 missiosn.

Atlas, Space Anomaly and Ghosts. Which should I be doing?

Also I have the Base Computer Archives, but it keeps sending me to the same remote terminal and makes me wait 6 hours. Is this a broken loop or something?

LoudMouse

Nov 23, 2017
So I have 3 missiosn.

Atlas, Space Anomaly and Ghosts. Which should I be doing?

Also I have the Base Computer Archives, but it keeps sending me to the same remote terminal and makes me wait 6 hours. Is this a broken loop or something?

Atlas and Anomaly first, Ghost last. It looks like you've finished the base computer archives missions and now it's just giving you random queests that sometimes give you upgrades. You can buy those easily so I'd forget about that.

Philia

Oct 25, 2017
Some only show at night time, but I assume you've tested that.

Planets with water typically have 2-3 fauna types. Usually 2 schooling-type creatures, and one predator. If you exit the water, fish will respawn in a different place. If you're looking for all the fish to document, find a largish body of water, and DON'T exit the water. Just refill your air reserve mod with oxygen and stay underwater. Predators will tend more to deeper waters, but typically I've found you'll find the most sea animals nearer to the shore than super deep open oceans.

But yeah, documenting water planets is a bit more annoying than just straight land-only planets.

Thanks guys. Still. I have to fucking put up with this bullshit though. Here's proof of some of them disappearing on me or just NOT actually there.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Thanks guys. Still. I have to fucking put up with this bullshit though. Here's proof of some of them disappearing on me or just NOT actually there.

They are there, the issue is they are insects and they move when you move. So you have to move toward them but not close enough for them to get scared and vanish..its dumb and hard to deal with but just move very slowly.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I saved a freighter today and had the chance to buy it; 33 slot A-Class, which was so much better than the 19 slot B-Class I was rocking (my starter freighter). But I didn't get any option to transfer inventory. 19 slots full of stuff, gone. Now, granted, most of it was just various forms of ferrite and sodium and dyhydrogen and carbon; easily replaceable if annoying. But there was some gold and silver and platinum, and weird shit like ammonia, not to mention a whole heap of navigation data. It's marginally annoying. But I still made north of 200 million and got a new freighter, so I'm really not too cheesed about it.

Carbon

Oct 27, 2017
They are there, the issue is they are insects and they move when you move. So you have to move toward them but not close enough for them to get scared and vanish..its dumb and hard to deal with but just move very slowly.
God I hate those insects. I usually just leave the planet and give up when I run into one with those tiny bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.