• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, look at all those mods! Might be time to get back into NMS...

Is the aquatic update out yet? As someone who is coming fresh off of a Subnautica obsession, how does it fare?

Is there a good guide for NMS? I know exploration is what it is all about, and I really like the game but I always seem to lose the thread around the 10/14 hour mark. Then I put the game down and by the time I come back I've forgotten everything and end up starting over.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Wow, look at all those mods! Might be time to get back into NMS...

Is the aquatic update out yet? As someone who is coming fresh off of a Subnautica obsession, how does it fare?

Is there a good guide for NMS? I know exploration is what it is all about, and I really like the game but I always seem to lose the thread around the 10/14 hour mark. Then I put the game down and by the time I come back I've forgotten everything and end up starting over.

Abyss update has been out a few months. Basically a nice Aesthetic overhaul with a little submarine Exocraft and a short tutorial-style storyline.

Reddit usually has links to guides.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ok I haven't played this since Pathfinder. Just wanted to say thanks for the helpful OT. Looking forward to jumping back in, and apparently learning all new resource names.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa, what happened to the frame rate on this for PS4 Pro? I fired it up for the first time in ages (last time was before the NEXT update) and the frame rate is disgusting whereas before it was nearly 60fps with some drops here and there.

Is it because I have HDR enabled using a new 4K display?

Were you playing on a 1080p set before?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
But they have a Pro, which lets you run at 4K and downsample on 1080p TVs.
The game's been running poorly for me ever since I upgraded to the Pro though, forced 1080p or no, so I can't comment on how it's supposed to be.

I definitely noticed a difference between a 1080p TV and 4k.

It's definitely a game i would reccomended turning super sampling off for.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I can't imagine NMS every running at 4K/60fps. Not sure how it is with consoles (haven't owned one since N64 LOL) but on PC most games that are better optimised that NMS can't even acheive that.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, what happened to the frame rate on this for PS4 Pro? I fired it up for the first time in ages (last time was before the NEXT update) and the frame rate is disgusting whereas before it was nearly 60fps with some drops here and there.

Is it because I have HDR enabled using a new 4K display?

I also think HG improved the graphics in NMS with the Next Update, I recall reading long-time players complaining how performance in NMS has gotten worse as HG has put on new coats of paint.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the game a couple of days ago, and I'm kinda enjoying it, even though I seem to be stuck in the starting system for a decent length of time. I came across an alien structure of some sort that required 25 mordite, I acquired enough a little later, but have no clue how to find it again with no map. The signal booster (or whatever it's called) seems to just find a random undiscovered outpost/building? I guess in the future I'll have to note the distance and direction on a scrap of paper or something, but I figured the icon would remain on the zoom (f) function.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Just got the game a couple of days ago, and I'm kinda enjoying it, even though I seem to be stuck in the starting system for a decent length of time. I came across an alien structure of some sort that required 25 mordite, I acquired enough a little later, but have no clue how to find it again with no map. The signal booster (or whatever it's called) seems to just find a random undiscovered outpost/building? I guess in the future I'll have to note the distance and direction on a scrap of paper or something, but I figured the icon would remain on the zoom (f) function.

You can drop a beacon so you can find somewhere again. You build it, i can't remember the name of it though.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ok I saved a freighter and got it for free. I just restarted and never owned one before. Can I sell it for the millions that its worth? Or should I just shut up and enjoy the free floating base?

I just want to get a cooler ship and explore, not into super trade or mining when not necessary. But for storage alone, I can see keeping it.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I saved a freighter and got it for free. I just restarted and never owned one before. Can I sell it for the millions that its worth? Or should I just shut up and enjoy the free floating base?

I just want to get a cooler ship and explore, not into super trade or mining when not necessary. But for storage alone, I can see keeping it.

At the present time you can't sell ships or freighters, only trade them in when buying a new ship/freighter.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Should I dismantle multi-tool tech upgrades for mats before buying a new one? They don't carry over, right? Same for ships?
Put in around 8 hours now and I'm finally in new systems. I take it the teleporter and that will unlock with story missions so I can quickly go between bases or no?
Pretty fun game, but I'd like more exploration and less crafting.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Should I dismantle multi-tool tech upgrades for mats before buying a new one? They don't carry over, right? Same for ships?
Put in around 8 hours now and I'm finally in new systems. I take it the teleporter and that will unlock with story missions so I can quickly go between bases or no?
Pretty fun game, but I'd like more exploration and less crafting.

Yes, break down upgrades for the materials before you sell, they don't affect the sale price of multi-tools or ships. The crafting part is a bit tedious at the beginning, but as time goes on and you unlock more inventory slots and better tools, you can carry enough materials that make crafting what you need quick and easy.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I've decided to suck it up and use the free freighter as a cargo bay.

Currently just cruising for a new base spot and saving up for something bigger than 20 slots.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I jumped to a new system, protected a freighter, the captain said to talk to him on his ship, and then it just disappeared. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I've decided to suck it up and use the free freighter as a cargo bay.

Currently just cruising for a new base spot and saving up for something bigger than 20 slots.

If you're focused on base building, use some cash to recruit mining frigates to your freighter fleet. Once an hour (real-time), when you land on each mining ship you'll be gifted magnetized ferrite which you can refine back to 2x pure ferrite. Just remember to always grab the ferrite from the frigates first thing when you start up the game and pretty soon you'll be awash in ferrite.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
mOUCrDr.jpg

LAST UPDATED: 24th December 2018

I have tested all the mods together with VISIONS 1.78 but there is no guarantee they will work perfectly for everyone. Always check the mod descriptions and discussions to make sure they are compatible with your current game version and with each other, especially after a new patch has been released. FPS impact should be minimal with most mods. Please report any bugs or broken links so I can investigate.

WARNING: Backup your save game and main cache files first (AppData/Roaming/Hello Games). Rename DISABLEMODS.txt file to ENABLEMODS.txt in the PCBANKS folder if it exists and delete the contents of the SHADERCACHE folder each time before loading the game with new mods. Mod files are placed in the PCBANKS/MODS folder. Delete older versions of mods before loading the game with newer versions to avoid conflicts.

Thanks for putting all this together. I pretty much installed all these as a starting point, being new to the game.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
If you're focused on base building, use some cash to recruit mining frigates to your freighter fleet.

Thanks for the response, but that is what I'm trying to avoid. I was gifted with a freighter and dont want to do any fleet stuff or mining strategies. I mainly want to explore and upgrade stuff slowly.

Last edited:

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I need a bunch of units to upgrade my multi-tool, so I hit up a planet with salvage containers on it. After 4 or 5, nothing dropped from them, only a few sentinels showed up. Are they bugged, or do only some of them have loot?

Game is crashing after talking to Polo or Nada. Every time.

Last edited:

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
OK, spent about an hour troubleshooting, and it seems like several mods in conflict. Obviously not saying they are all buggy, but there is something going on with any combination of these that cause the game to fail to load the save, or if it does load, CTD when talking to Polo and Nada.

Diverse Environments Overhaul
Colors Overhaul
Post lights
Aerial Zoom Camera Remover

Enjoying the game more now that it's more about exploration. Unrealistic or not, I wish there was some sort of universal ship/base/freighter inventory that just increased in size as you upgrade. Having mats all over is a PITA.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what the deep lore is behind finding an animal with a penis for a head, right next to an animal with testicles for a head. It has to mean something.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Finally found a nice planet with normal weather after 30+ jumps. May explore a little more and see if I can find a lush world with blue or green vegetation (this one is yellow with red water), but this will probably be my base. Original one is on an irradiated shithole in my starting system.

Loving the game now. I think construction costs should be a third or half of what they are, but the exploration is great. I was even enjoying space combat, when it's not 5 or 6 on one and your shields drop super fast. My exsuit can store a lot now, but I'm still full on everything.

Deleted member 21124

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What happened to this game on PS4? I booted it up last night for the first time in a while. Back then the game started with me in a broken ship, and I had to explore a cave system and more in order to repair the ship.

This time, when I started a new game, there was no ship and I was running around on the surface of some hot planet. The game was literally unplayable. Before it used to be smooth as butter, but now it was hovering around 20 fps or even lower. All the time. And my Pro refused to calm down as well, sounding like a jet engine 100% of the time instead of just on certain planets before. I could barely hear the game sound.

And here I was hoping for a good time...

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to this game on PS4? I booted it up last night for the first time in a while. Back then the game started with me in a broken ship, and I had to explore a cave system and more in order to repair the ship.

This time, when I started a new game, there was no ship and I was running around on the surface of some hot planet. The game was literally unplayable. Before it used to be smooth as butter, but now it was hovering around 20 fps or even lower. All the time. And my Pro refused to calm down as well, sounding like a jet engine 100% of the time instead of just on certain planets before. I could barely hear the game sound.

You start separated from your ship but its not far. You have to pick up and apply sodium to your Protection system in your suit menu.

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
The VRAM useage climbs and climbs as I play, going past the 3.5gb that gives my GTX 970 issues, even with medium settings on textures and reflections. Ugh.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Finally got a Pro yesterday and NMS was one of the games I wanted to revisit, I platted it when it initially came out-- clocked in 87hrs according to my save from two years ago-- so I was interested in the other trophies from recent updates. I started a Permadeath save and jfc this game was not playing around. An hour and three restarted runs later I managed to be on a planet that was super hostile but not in a way that I couldn't manage it; there was also the learning curve of just all that has been added to this game. I loved my first playthrough of NMS but am really looking forward to slowly chipping away at my permadeath run in this galaxy. The things they've added here make this game even more of my jam.

I don't know what the problem might be. I played it for about 4 hours last night on a Pro (newer model, no SSD, just an SSHD) and it ran wonderfully. It wasn't a fresh install either, just the same game that's been on my PS4 since launch, along with additional patches. On my launch PS4 if a game that normally ran well started chunking like that I would occasionally rebuild the database from safe mode, and that would sort the issue but I have zero idea if that was just a placebo or not.

Deleted member 21124

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what the problem might be. I played it for about 4 hours last night on a Pro (newer model, no SSD, just an SSHD) and it ran wonderfully. It wasn't a fresh install either, just the same game that's been on my PS4 since launch, along with additional patches. On my launch PS4 if a game that normally ran well started chunking like that I would occasionally rebuild the database from safe mode, and that would sort the issue but I have zero idea if that was just a placebo or not.

Weird. Oh well... I have given up on the game anyway. At least on PS4. Can't stand the damn fan noise. Might grab it for PC later on, but I've read a lot about issues there as well.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Weird. Oh well... I have given up on the game anyway. At least on PS4. Can't stand the damn fan noise. Might grab it for PC later on, but I've read a lot about issues there as well.

Anecdotal, but the game runs really well for me on PC even after all the new updates.

Plus the option to mod the game is fantastic. I hope you decide to give it another go! It's a really fun game these days.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

Performance is pretty good on PC, at 1080p at least. Might need a beast rig to up the resolution. The mods are great and I wouldn't be able to play the game without them. It is prone to crashing since NEXT, though.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I'm playing for the first time in a few months and man, Hello Games really seems to be struggling with knowing how to not "fix" something that isn't broken. The hyperdrive sequence in first person was fine, and now we have mandatory third person and it always stutters REALLY bad. It never stuttered before. For some reason my PS4 Pro copy also only runs at 30 fps now instead of 40-60. And what happened to the ship entry animation? There's a jump cut now instead of an animation showing you entering the ship. It was perfect. Why was it changed?

Last edited:

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
There's a jump cut now instead of an animation showing you entering the ship. It was perfect. Why was it changed?

IIRC, that was a workaround fix to a bug where getting into your ship would sometimes result in the camera not properly centering in the cockpit. It wasn't a great fix; it introduced a bug (which they since corrected) where getting out of ships would sometimes cause you to materialize outside of geometry and fall off the world.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm playing for the first time in a few months and man, Hello Games really seems to be struggling with knowing how to not "fix" something that isn't broken. The hyperdrive sequence in first person was fine, and now we have mandatory third person and it always stutters REALLY bad. It never stuttered before. For some reason my PS4 Pro copy also only runs at 30 fps now instead of 40-60. And what happened to the ship entry animation? There's a jump cut now instead of an animation showing you entering the ship. It was perfect. Why was it changed?
IIRC, that was a workaround fix to a bug where getting into your ship would sometimes result in the camera not properly centering in the cockpit. It wasn't a great fix; it introduced a bug (which they since corrected) where getting out of ships would sometimes cause you to materialize outside of geometry and fall off the world.

Does that mean that the current state of NMS is a bit broken? Last time I played was at launch, and I was planning to get back in to take a look at all the changes. Would it be better to wait a bit more? I also have a PS4 Pro.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Does that mean that the current state of NMS is a bit broken? Last time I played was at launch, and I was planning to get back in to take a look at all the changes. Would it be better to wait a bit more? I also have a PS4 Pro.

I platted NMS when it first launched and waited until i recently got a Pro to jump back in and start fresh. It's a whole different experience now, especially on Permadeath. I really enjoy it and it runs pretty great on my Pro compared to my first playthrough on a base PS4.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sean awakes from a slumber for a retweet. Have no idea. Could be related to GDC. He is having a talk there.

Last edited:

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That panel he's speaking at sounds great too. One of the the nice things about living in the city around this time is being able to walk into some of the more unassuming bars/dives and run into devs whose work you respect, and buy them a beer.
Do you know when the panel is and if it will be streamed, or is it paywalled?

He also posted a clock so obviously something is coming.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Google-related maybe? I could see an announcement of an NMS port for whatever Google is cooking as counting as a "small" announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.