• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Ecology and NPC interactions are my biggest wish. Alien races fully animated and walking on planets. Small scale battles or interactions with wildlife.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
So with the VR-mode (presumably) being the second part of the three-part Beyond update for No Man's Sky (strange to me, as that means XB1 players only get two of the three components), what do you think the third part is? I had hoped VR was one of the two remaining parts, but thought it was a long shot. As it's reality, my new long shot hope is the final component is cross-play/cross-progression between all platforms. Surely that's possible now that Sony is more welcoming to cross-play. I have it on PC (the VR version is coming to Steam) and PS4 and have both a Oculus Rift and a PSVR. Cross-progression would be awesome for me.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
So with the VR-mode (presumably) being the second part of the three-part Beyond update for No Man's Sky (strange to me, as that means XB1 players only get two of the three components), what do you think the third part is? I had hoped VR was one of the two remaining parts, but thought it was a long shot. As it's reality, my new long shot hope is the final component is cross-play/cross-progression between all platforms. Surely that's possible now that Sony is more welcoming to cross-play. I have it on PC (the VR version is coming to Steam) and PS4 and have both a Oculus Rift and a PSVR. Cross-progression would be awesome for me.

Well I was more onto a enrichment of the lore, or mission management. If anything, crossplay would have been a piece of part 1 about the major online component.

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought thus again the other day for £5. I've owned it a couple of times before but have never got too far. I'm about 3 hours into a new playthrough and I'm finding it kinda brutal and laborious. I know the game provides a lot more direction than it used to, but I'm still feeling a bit lost and I feel like I've got stuck with no easy way out because my ship is grounded without any more fuel and I cannot find any uranium on this planet. I've even found a settlement which was more than 10 minutes away by foot, and there wasn't even anything useful to trade for there. Feel kinda stuck, it doesn't look like there will be any uranium to refuel on this planet and I'm a bit pissed off if it means I'll be losing 3+ hours of progress.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I just bought thus again the other day for £5. I've owned it a couple of times before but have never got too far. I'm about 3 hours into a new playthrough and I'm finding it kinda brutal and laborious. I know the game provides a lot more direction than it used to, but I'm still feeling a bit lost and I feel like I've got stuck with no easy way out because my ship is grounded without any more fuel and I cannot find any uranium on this planet. I've even found a settlement which was more than 10 minutes away by foot, and there wasn't even anything useful to trade for there. Feel kinda stuck, it doesn't look like there will be any uranium to refuel on this planet and I'm a bit pissed off if it means I'll be losing 3+ hours of progress.
Craft Starship Launch Fuel, you can get the ingredients on every planet.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Here's some quick starter tips: https://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-no-man-s-sky-s-big-update-1827871611. For most of the game you'll probably be using launch thruster fuel more often than Uranium. For that you need 50 ferrite (which you get from rocks) to build metal plating, then combine it with 40 dihydrogen which you find in blue crystals on every planet.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Should I be able to see another player's uploaded base in single player, as long as I'm online? Or do I need a PS+ subscription too? I finally got around to checking out a portal address and went to one I found here: https://portalrepository.com/tag/living-glass/ , but there was nothing. It was the same platform, same galaxy, and same game mode.

Is it one of those things that just works sometimes and sometimes not? I guess it could've been deleted but the entry was only from a few weeks ago.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Should I be able to see another player's uploaded base in single player, as long as I'm online? Or do I need a PS+ subscription too? I finally got around to checking out a portal address and went to one I found here: https://portalrepository.com/tag/living-glass/ , but there was nothing. It was the same platform, same galaxy, and same game mode.

Is it one of those things that just works sometimes and sometimes not? I guess it could've been deleted but the entry was only from a few weeks ago.
You should be able to see it; I don't have PS+ and I followed a portal address to a system to look for a multitool, and I could definitely see the base someone had built. Maybe you were disconnected from the server or something?

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
You should be able to see it; I don't have PS+ and I followed a portal address to a system to look for a multitool, and I could definitely see the base someone had built. Maybe you were disconnected from the server or something?
Could be. I'll do some more exploring then. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time. Thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
Craft Starship Launch Fuel, you can get the ingredients on every planet.
Here's some quick starter tips: https://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-no-man-s-sky-s-big-update-1827871611. For most of the game you'll probably be using launch thruster fuel more often than Uranium. For that you need 50 ferrite (which you get from rocks) to build metal plating, then combine it with 40 dihydrogen which you find in blue crystals on every planet.

Thanks guys, I will do this when I play later.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I have no interest in Multiplayer or VR so if the 3rd module isn't awesome then this update will be be a bust for me.
I'm with you in that I don't care about either of those things, but they've done significant QOL and visual updates with each release as well, so I'm hopeful that even if the major pillars don't appeal to me, we'll still see improvements under the hood to make things better.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not crazy about MP but VR sounds like it could be fun. It would be great for the third major bullet point to be all about exploration and land generation.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to scan sea animals while I'm actually swimming in the water?

Also, how do I expand my inventory, or is there a general rule about what elements I should be farming in the first few hours? I feel like I've constantly got a full inventory.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

Also, how do I expand my inventory, or is there a general rule about what elements I should be farming in the first few hours? I feel like I've constantly got a full inventory.

Stop swimming and scan quickly so you don't run down your oxygen. A few updates ago you could scan them from the surface but they removed that.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada

In terms of resources you should try to keep a supply of:
-Power for your laser, so either carbon from plants, condensed carbon from big red crystals, or phosphorus from deposits in the ground
-Oxygen for you life support system, from red oxygen rich plants or occasionally as a secondary resource in other plants. When swimming look for plants that look like chandeliers with big white bulbs on them, they can restore your oxygen.
-Sodium or sodium nitrate for your hazard protection system, usually from yellow sodium rich plants, big yellow crystals, or more rarely deposits in the ground.

Your inventory can be expanded either by visiting a spacestation and talking to the last shopkeeper in the line, or by finding and repairing drop pods out in the field. Station is quicker but more expensive, and can only be used once per system.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this game's really got it's hooks into me again. I'm slowly trying to making my way to the center but keep getting side-tracked. I haven't even checked out the underwater base building yet.

Something that I've been thinking about while playing recently is that capturing enemy ships would be a really neat mechanic. It would add some much needed freshness to acquiring new ships and could be accomplished relatively simply I think. Like say, once you've brought a ship's health almost all the way down, the option to call it up with the communicator would be available to you and you could ask it to surrender. Then the next time you go to the station it would be waiting there for you, in need of extensive repairs of course. Maybe you'd need to pay some kind of fee to buy it as well.

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of resources you should try to keep a supply of:
-Power for your laser, so either carbon from plants, condensed carbon from big red crystals, or phosphorus from deposits in the ground
-Oxygen for you life support system, from red oxygen rich plants or occasionally as a secondary resource in other plants. When swimming look for plants that look like chandeliers with big white bulbs on them, they can restore your oxygen.
-Sodium or sodium nitrate for your hazard protection system, usually from yellow sodium rich plants, big yellow crystals, or more rarely deposits in the ground.

Your inventory can be expanded either by visiting a spacestation and talking to the last shopkeeper in the line, or by finding and repairing drop pods out in the field. Station is quicker but more expensive, and can only be used once per system.

Yo, thanks for this. I'm still running around like a bit of a headless chicken, but at least I'm a bit more prepared now!

This is the first time I've put proper hours into it since shortly after launch, and they've added so much I find it a bit overwhelming. What's the benefit of all of the little structures I can build by pressing up on the dpad?

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Yo, thanks for this. I'm still running around like a bit of a headless chicken, but at least I'm a bit more prepared now!

This is the first time I've put proper hours into it since shortly after launch, and they've added so much I find it a bit overwhelming. What's the benefit of all of the little structures I can build by pressing up on the dpad?
The portable tech is just that; various pieces of machinery you can pick up and carry with you. The only ones that really matter are:
-the signal booster, which allows you to scan for various settlements and such when you deploy it
-the save point, which allows you to manually save
-the portable refiner, which lets you refine some basic elements.

The base computer lets you claim an area to build a base, the blueprint thing gives you new base parts and the marine shelter gives you somewhere to replenish you air. The rest are kind pointless.

The exocraft stuff is mostly just ramps and stuff for building race courses, and the pads to summon exocraft.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I hate to be that guy but we've had a gas giant looking planet on the cover before =/.
I disagree. OG was non descript. NEXT clearly had a ringed planet and the larger was pocked by craters. This is clearly a Big Red Spot equivalent within the clouds. So either gas giants or more weather dangers like tornadoes. Gas giants seem more likely in my mind. I've always dreamed of the VR scale within massive miles high storm clouds and sunsets. Realizing that would be worthy of awe, imo.

Edit:

Upon closer inspection it is actually the exact same planet image as NEXT, but transparency increased. Sads.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017

Yooooooooooooooo, that's a gas giant in the back!

I disagree. OG was non descript. NEXT clearly had a ringed planet and the larger was pocked by craters. This is clearly a Big Red Spot equivalent within the clouds. So either gas giants or more weather dangers like tornadoes. Gas giants seem more likely in my mind. I've always dreamed of the VR scale within massive miles high storm clouds and sunsets. Realizing that would be worthy of awe, imo.

Edit:

Upon closer inspection it is actually the exact same planet image as NEXT, but transparency increased. Sads.
It is the exact same planet, but it is now behind the group of people. On the NEXT cover, the planet is in front of them.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just got this for PC, sunk 4 hours already, haha. Really enjoying it, super excited to see what No Man's Sky Online looks like.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
Are freighter warp reactor upgrades still purchasable in the game? I ask because I haven't seen any variant of them with the tech vendor (across the different lifeforms).

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Are freighter warp reactor upgrades still purchasable in the game? I ask because I haven't seen any variant of them with the tech vendor (across the different lifeforms).
Yeah. I found 2 of them at the same vendor recently after not seeing any for a long time. I don't recall which race it belongs to but I'm pretty sure it was a plain old Balanced type system.

TopherDL

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys. Guess I'll keep an eye out a little while longer. Just don't know why they've made them so difficult to come by.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Thanks guys. Guess I'll keep an eye out a little while longer. Just don't know why they've made them so difficult to come by.
Probably to balance how freighter warps are super powerful early game. One Warp Cell gets you multiple jumps in a freighter but only one jump in your ship.

Considering everyone gets a free freighter right away now, it's really easy to make lots of jumps early on.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wanting to play it again, but dunno if I should just wait for the update, since they usually cause a lot of issues for existing saves. What do you guys recommend?

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
What's the deal with warp balance? Freighters let you warp to any kind of system right? Once I found that out I stopped warping in my ship by itself. I just dock in the freighter every time now.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
What's the deal with warp balance? Freighters let you warp to any kind of system right? Once I found that out I stopped warping in my ship by itself. I just dock in the freighter every time now.

Freighter fuel costs more resources, and goes less distance than the best explorer ships. I usually just warp from my ship out of convenience of not having to land on my freighter, sparing 1 tech slot for the blue warp engine doesn't cost too much.

Wanting to play it again, but dunno if I should just wait for the update, since they usually cause a lot of issues for existing saves. What do you guys recommend?

I think you should dive in and play a bit both before and after the update. It's always a lot of fun to see the difference each update makes. Some things are never quite the same, and there's a definite charm to each iteration of the game that changes a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It's a sticky wicket. I've been playing since Day 1, and I started a new save when Next came out; I was incredibly glad I did (it helps that there's a simple money glitch that can make billions per hour so restoring my progress wasn't prohibitively difficult time-wise). Seeing as how we are close to another major update, maybe it would be good to jump back into an existing save to familiarize yourself with how the game feels now, and then start fresh when the update releases. The pending update probably won't make nearly as many sweeping changes with regards to materials and recipes (Next changed basically everything, including almost all of the elements), but you can never be sure.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Man, I'm still dealing with rampant memory leaks on win7. I can't find an answer anywhere online. I did find out about TLS 1.2 update as well as ini tweak that boosted my performance a lot! Unfortunately the memory leak persists and crashes my game after a few minutes.

Stagen

Mar 19, 2019
Denmark
I'm definitely going to get back into the game once the next update is out. I'm hoping to rope in some friends for it too. I'll likely start a fresh game, like I usually do. Maybe one day I'll actually play for long enough to make it to the galaxy core? :D

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
NMS Experimental Branch Vulkan

This experimental build is fantastic for my RX 470, it runs almost at locked 60fps all the time, faster loading times, no need to exit the game for graphical settings to apply (maybe this was added since december, I haven't played it since then) this update added that, but the performance feels like I upgraded my GPU.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
NMS Experimental Branch Vulkan

This experimental build is fantastic for my RX 470, it runs almost at locked 60fps all the time, faster loading times, no need to exit the game for graphical settings to apply (maybe this was added since december, I haven't played it since then) this update added that, but the performance feels like I upgraded my GPU.

I just tried it on my R9 380 and AMD FX-8350, the performance seems a lot better. I haven't played it in a few months now so I've noticed certain things like the getting in/out of the ship animation is now just fading to black instead of a flash, also the space stations seem to have a lot less NPCs standing about and the performance in the stations is way smoother for me (but again, these might be some changes that happened a while ago since I haven't played in a while).

Although the shader caching loading is gone, it feels like the game still takes a bit of time to load initially but also feels like the loading times between warps/teleports are longer (the game is installed on an SSD).

Was a bit skeptical about them running the game in VR but the shift to Vulkan and the overall optimizations seem pretty good so far.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I just tried it on my R9 380 and AMD FX-8350, the performance seems a lot better. I haven't played it in a few months now so I've noticed certain things like the getting in/out of the ship animation is now just fading to black instead of a flash, also the space stations seem to have a lot less NPCs standing about and the performance in the stations is way smoother for me (but again, these might be some changes that happened a while ago since I haven't played in a while).

Although the shader caching loading is gone, it feels like the game still takes a bit of time to load initially but also feels like the loading times between warps/teleports are longer (the game is installed on an SSD).

Was a bit skeptical about them running the game in VR but the shift to Vulkan and the overall optimizations seem pretty good so far.

I didn't noticed the longer loading times, I played for half an hour but it feels so good, I've been playing it for 300+ hours with a chunky framerate when there were too many trees or vegetation, or when flying low on planets. Like you said, let's hope this change makes the VR experience more pleasant.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
New experimental branch has seemingly further increased my performance and I didn't have a crash during an hour of play. 1 data point to measure, but I'm optimistic. (Nvidia card - 960)

Really hope optimization continues with time until the LOD can be really increased while flying. Would love to fly through thick and detailed terrain.

I am also very curious how VR runs on base ps4. I'm curious of flying and driving can feel better there. I'm also torn because the locomotion stuff on PC means I could make this more immersive. Unfortunately I'm losing on both sides. I'd have to get a whole new PC to do VR, and on PS4 I would need to start a completely new save.

I may just have to sit VR out for yet another year or more.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Just went through my first black hole after nearly 3 years of playing.

I hope black holes get a visual upgrade, especially after our recent achievement to photograph one.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
I hope ReShade gets a Vulkan update before this gets released. I use it in most games to fix the washed out contrast (might be my old monitor) and offset DSR/AA blur with LumaSharpen. NMS in particular looks quite bland without a bit of post-process tweaking, IMO.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Since the PS4 gets VR support too, I'm really wondering what kind of optimisation they're doing for the console. Probably not as impressive as the PC version, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.