• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Do we know when the Vulkan update comes to public?
sounds like with the official launch of the patch, which means maybe it's coming sooner than we think. I was personally predicting August, but if this is indicative of how far along they are with optimizing, I could see June.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Seeing my save game on the PS4 Pro is still crashing the game after 10-15 seconds, I wonder if the save game from PS4 can be used with the PC version? Also considering whether to use the PSVR for VR (if it didn't crash) or the PC with the oculus rift.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

This is exciting.

I would also love for 65dos to also add even more tracks to NMS in the update. I would love more instrumentation within the game. Lots of moments when I play and it is just silent. Would love more quiet reflective ambiance.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

This is exciting.

I would also love for 65dos to also add even more tracks to NMS in the update. I would love more instrumentation within the game. Lots of moments when I play and it is just silent. Would love more quiet reflective ambiance.

Oh shit yes. I don't know that that means more NMS material, but I'll gladly take another Unreleased/Unreleasable.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Thinking about jumping into this again on a fresh save. Is there any news of when the Beyond update will drop other than "Summer 2019"?

I'd hate to invest in this game again just in time for my save to get borked.

Anyone else get back into this recently? Regrets?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Sean has been posting community photos regularly lately. Dunno if that's a sign or a hint with e3 around the corner or not.

I keep popping in, but I have a pretty complete set up, so my interest wanes fast as I'm still just plugging toward the center, kind of. This has always just been an exploration game for me. Haven't been here for "beating" it, but for seeing interesting things.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Did we find out yet what the third part of the next patch is further to vr and the mmo universe? Was that the Vulkan update?

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
"Revised HDR support"

Wait, so the PC version has HDR support now?
It's currently available in the experimental branch:

HDR:

We wanted to clarify some points about the HDR implementation. HDR is a new display standard that has been featured on many new monitors and TVs in the past few years. It allows monitors to display brighter colours than were previously possible.

We have supported HDR on consoles for a while, but have been revisiting it in the last few months to take advantage of more recent techniques. The result of this work has been building an entirely new implementation that also works on PC. We want to eventually roll this out cross-platform, but we are keen to preview it and have your feedback. As such, we have integrated it into this experimental Vulkan build.

If you have an HDR monitor you will be able to turn on HDR mode in the Windows 10 Display Settings control panel. If the game detects that HDR is available, you will see a new option in the game graphics settings which can be set to either HDR400, HDR600 or HDR1000. These are presets we've tweaked for the 3 most common HDR monitor standards, and relate to the peak brightness that the monitor can achieve.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The wait for this info + release date is KILLING me. I really want to pick up a new VR game, but if I can hold out for this, I can save some money.
Telling me. I'm waiting for them to book a date so I can start on the new OT!

Having moved to the X with the prior update I'll have to restart again going back to the Pro, but that's almost a ritual at this point with updates anyway and I'd have wanted to with VR just to experience it all.

It's going to be amazing and what many of us have been dreaming for since the game released. Still can't believe it's happening.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I wonder if they'll rework HDR on consoles too, or if it's a PC only thing.

I imagine with this patch there will be a LOT of engine improvements and changes overall. Otherwise VR would be exceptionally difficult to pull off without either going full bore on scaling everything back (given the performance of the engine up to this point). I'm not expecting the world, but the videos thus far seem to suggest they haven't gone barren for VR, so there must be some significant optimizations coming.

On the topic of whatever the 3rd Pillar is, I hope it's some combat improvements coupled with some new "boss" type enemies. If this game had mini raids of planets / pirate ships / enemy bases...it would really elevate it to a new level of immersive & engaging.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
The wait for this info + release date is KILLING me. I really want to pick up a new VR game, but if I can hold out for this, I can save some money.
Yeah, the early stream of Beyond info followed by a few weeks of mostly radio silence is irksome. By this time last year we had a release date for the Next release, which was in late July, but we also didn't know as much about what was in that release, so it's hard to gauge where things stand.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Yeah, the early stream of Beyond info followed by a few weeks of mostly radio silence is irksome. By this time last year we had a release date for the Next release, which was in late July, but we also didn't know as much about what was in that release, so it's hard to gauge where things stand.

Part of me believes that all of this info was actually supposed to get released a bit later, but it was going to leak so they had to trickle it out a bit sooner. There's a bit more extended silence now, but I think part of that may be due to them waiting for E3 to possibly catch the media frenzy (though I think that's a mistake if that's the case, they'll get drowned out by everything else).

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
How can I get the experimental branch? This is literally the only reason I double dipped and got it on One X. Ive got a HDR1000 monitor on my rig and really want to try it with the game now .
To play in Experimental, right-click on No Man's Sky from the Steam library page and select "Properties". Among the available tabs will be the "BETAS" tab. Enter "3xperimental" in the textbox and click "Check Code". "experimental - Experimental" will now be available in the dropdown menu under "Select the beta you would like to opt into".

Here's the link to the full Steam post I've been pulling from:

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Are they actually going to be present at E3?

Unlikely, but releasing the info to a press outlet as an exclusive would at least get them some screen time (internet). I'd be genuinely stunned if anyone at the conference gave them stage time or if they had booths running for an old game, lol.

Hopefully we'll hear something, though.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Hopefully once the e3 dust clears they will finally start revealing stuff. I still expect a July release.

I was really surprised they didn't put out anything during E3, but I suppose I get why they wouldn't. I'm guessing July reveal for the rest of Beyond, and then a late July / Early August release.

Still wondering what the visual hit will be for VR Mode.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Beyond isn't going to be tied to a physical release like Next was, is it? So we probably shouldn't be expecting more than a week or two warning before it drops.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Beyond isn't going to be tied to a physical release like Next was, is it? So we probably shouldn't be expecting more than a week or two warning before it drops.

Correct, there's no platform release for NMS Beyond, so we shouldn't have long between full reveal and release. What will likely happen is a reveal for the final piece of Beyond with a release date and a wait of a few weeks. The big question I have is who will give them the platform to push it? If they just do a press release it's not likely to make a lot of waves, so how do they gain the interest of those who aren't dedicated players?

I'm thinking Sony will give them some good press because it's going to be another noteworthy VR release.

Do we know if Beyond is going to rejigger the universe like NEXT did? Specifically, will it cause nice planets to become arid death traps and vice-versa?

It's pretty likely that a lot of things will change, and that almost always includes universe regeneration.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
The big question I have is who will give them the platform to push it? If they just do a press release it's not likely to make a lot of waves, so how do they gain the interest of those who aren't dedicated players?

I'm thinking Sony will give them some good press because it's going to be another noteworthy VR release.
I get the feeling the NMS interest is fairly high right now in the community/media, for a game that's 3 years old. The redemption arc has kept them in the news steadily. And of course there's the VR angle as you pointed out that multiple platforms will want to leverage. If HG "just do a press release" I think they'll manage to make more than enough attention for the update.

It's pretty likely that a lot of things will change, and that almost always includes universe regeneration.
I'm not so sure about this one. After they opened the floodgates for base-building with Next, told players to go ahead and build anywhere and even encouraged building colonies/communities, I can't see them being willing to pull a full universe reset and, honestly, I don't think they should. Massive amounts of player effort would be wiped out, that would make the Next reset look like small potatoes.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Was a demo/presentation of NMS in VR available on the E3 show floor at least?

Doesn't seem like there was a lot of VR stuff at E3 this year.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Hey all, I think this will be the next game to mark off my backlog. How's the game looking these days?

I hope the Beyond update won't break saves...

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Hey all, I think this will be the next game to mark off my backlog. How's the game looking these days?

Have you already played a considerable amount? I wouldn't worry about your save file, running through the new Atlus Rises story missions is way better than the vanilla storyline, and starting fresh with all the new changes is probably best.

I'd honestly wait until Beyond comes out, then you can pick the path you want. I'd say the toughest thing about scratching this off the backlog list would just be defining what "finished" means, lol.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Have you already played a considerable amount? I wouldn't worry about your save file, running through the new Atlus Rises story missions is way better than the vanilla storyline, and starting fresh with all the new changes is probably best.

I'd honestly wait until Beyond comes out, then you can pick the path you want. I'd say the toughest thing about scratching this off the backlog list would just be defining what "finished" means, lol.

I haven't played the game at all, but am considering waiting for the update seeing as it's around the corner. I just would be irritated if I'm a week into a playthrough and the save file got bugged in some small way due to the update. I know its a small risk but... what if!?

I think I'll consider the game finished whenever I get the platinum trophy lol.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I haven't played the game at all, but am considering waiting for the update seeing as it's around the corner. I just would be irritated if I'm a week into a playthrough and the save file got bugged in some small way due to the update. I know its a small risk but... what if!?

Gotcha, yea I'd definitely wait for the update if you don't mind waiting. "Summer" is kind of vague, so hopefully it doesn't release in September. That said, the updates don't really break saves so much as they occasionally throw some wrenches in player bases (because they usually do a complete galaxy regeneration if they introduce new procedural technologies). For the most part, you'll be fine if you start now. It's much less risky at this point because you can link up with other people and they can help you out if anything drastic happens (and the NMS community is pretty good about that).

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York

It's tough to really check this off the backlog list. If you mean just to experience the new things and spend a week or so playing it again and chilling then yeah, but this is one of those games where you can't really beat it and move to the next. You could end up playing this game for hundreds, possibly thousands of hours. lol

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017

You can always start by playing on permadeath: you might not actually last that long on the first playthru and you need to beat the game on permadeath at some point anyway, in order to get the platinum.

Or go the opposite direction and play on Creative, so you can just fool around and get a feel for basic gameplay/setup before the Beyond update drops.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get to the Galactic Hub, anyone reach it? I'm on PS4.

Had a 100 hour save a couple years ago but update made me restart. Current one is only 12 hours in lol

Might use their Huber service but getting there naturally seems like a fun adventure.

Apparently the black holes all send you to the same place now (meaning not random) which is different than the past. People are mapping them all out and apparently built a tool that will navigate you to the shortest way possible to the destination. Dont have a link to it though, i saw a youtube video about it a couple weeks ago.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I remember back during the very first community event there was a bug where going through the portal took you to an entire different universe if your playthrough was not on the initial universe you start with. I lost my base and progress and I never found a way to get back to my universe so I just stopped playing. lol

Was this ever fixed or am I forever forced to just start a whole new save?

Status
Not open for further replies.