• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I suspect that the PS4 VR support certification might be holding back the release on all platforms. Sony demands no framedrops below 60fps, and we know how poorly framerates can be in the game.

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Hello Games has stated that they've had to undergo some serious optimizations in order to make the game feasible in VR, which was outlined in the Vulkan update for PC.

We've already seen footage of hands on demos with the PS4 Pro, and the game appears to be running fine there. That was a few months ago, so I imagine it's already improved from those earlier builds. It'll be blurrier, but if they can get it running on the Pro, it'll run on base hardware.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I suspect that the PS4 VR support certification might be holding back the release on all platforms. Sony demands no framedrops below 60fps, and we know how poorly framerates can be in the game.
Absolutely.
The game has been rated in Australia, which should mean that the update is complete and playable (on at least one platform). I would say that it is almost certain that the PSVR is holding the update back.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
huh. i feel like the lag introduced that way will probably feel horrible in vr. has a 3rd party program for that been released already?
Reprojection / timewarp / etc. help to maintain super low latency in terms of when you turn your head the world moves. This can counter a tiny bit of added latency from streaming the game, as well as obviously using wireless standards that are super fast.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I think next time they say something, it will be the day it's released. My wife is going out of town at the end of the month for a week, so I keep hoping it'll be out by then.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reddit and twitter rumors are starting and some claim a physical-re-release is coming within the next week or so to GAME stores (one was planned for ps4 at least). Take with grains of salt, but i figure people are desperate for the news.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
If (and that is a big if) the rumor about the physical games is true, I would expect a trailer and patch notes this week (in case the disc leaks, possibly with an unfinished build) and a release next week.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Last weekend I fired up NMS after a couple of months hiatus. I spent a few hours and finally achieved my goal of getting to the center of the Euclid galaxy. I haven't jumped through the center yet, I'm more interested in exploring around the edge looking for player created structures.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Last weekend I fired up NMS after a couple of months hiatus. I spent a few hours and finally achieved my goal of getting to the center of the Euclid galaxy. I haven't jumped through the center yet, I'm more interested in exploring around the edge looking for player created structures.

I hadn't really considered this...the concentration of stuff around the center has to be significantly higher at this point, right? I know some people in the community have set up camps and trade routes in specific posts, seems like near the center of the galaxy would be perfect.

At this point, can't you just join someone's game to get there instead of going through the whole ordeal of jumping / repairing your ship?

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I am also at the Euclid center. The big disadvantage is that a lot of the systems (and the people that discovered them) have really stupid names. It gets a bit annoying.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't really considered this...the concentration of stuff around the center has to be significantly higher at this point, right? I know some people in the community have set up camps and trade routes in specific posts, seems like near the center of the galaxy would be perfect.

At this point, can't you just join someone's game to get there instead of going through the whole ordeal of jumping / repairing your ship?

Sure, provided you know someone on your platform of choice that currently is near the center. I don't and for some reason I haven't been able to join a random person's game in a long time.

I am also at the Euclid center. The big disadvantage is that a lot of the systems (and the people that discovered them) have really stupid names. It gets a bit annoying.

Yeah I noticed that too. The first system I warped to on the edge of the center-point was named "I got here first, LMAO".

Anyways, bounced around a few systems and settled down on a world to start putting together a new base.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Forgive me for the bump without any info, but I hadn't seen this before:

Once more, speculation here, but an Apple Arcade release seems to be what's next. In an email sent out marketing the service, a picture of No Man's Sky has appeared on Apple TV. Apple Arcade is available across iOS, tvOS, and macOS devices, so we might be able to play this open world title across any device we please.

img_1900.jpg

Will be very interesting to see if this launches on multiple platforms, and if they find a way to enable cross-saves through some kind of cloud service. If I could play in VR at my home, and then play on my iPad Pro away from home...oh man, I'm in. Though, again, I'm not confident it will perform like it needs to on smaller devices (which is why I'm weary). Could always be a companion game, maybe?

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Forgive me for the bump without any info, but I hadn't seen this before:

img_1900.jpg

Will be very interesting to see if this launches on multiple platforms, and if they find a way to enable cross-saves through some kind of cloud service. If I could play in VR at my home, and then play on my iPad Pro away from home...oh man, I'm in. Though, again, I'm not confident it will perform like it needs to on smaller devices (which is why I'm weary). Could always be a companion game, maybe?

It sure would be interesting, but a bit of a let down if it ends up being the unannounced 3rd big part of the update.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
It sure would be interesting, but a bit of a let down if it ends up being the unannounced 3rd big part of the update.

I think there's possibility for it to be a huge boon for the game, but again, it really depends on what it is and how it's implemented (if it's real at all). I'm feeling like the image may just be a bunch of place holders, because the description there feels very different from the tone of NMS, lol. I'm not sure how "heart warming and beautiful" fits with NMS.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly disappointing if the third big update is just Apple-related.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Goddamn bumps making me frothy.

Sorry about that, I'm really antsy so I basically pick up any and every article I can daily through a google search...and apparently we're not the only ones who are anxious. There's been an article published every other day for the last two weeks from differing news outlets. People WANT the news...but Hello Games is just very, very slow getting out...which makes me think they either have hit some road blocks that are preventing them from a timely release, or they're just having a difficult time optimizing it.

As for the third pillar being Apple related, I think that's pretty unlikely. Apple Arcade doesn't launch until the fall, and this is supposed to release in the Summer. Then again...maybe they've been silent because they're holding it until the fall so they can release it along with Apple Arcade. O_o

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
What if it's not just an Apple thing but a full-blown mobile version of the game? That seems like it would be a pretty big deal and warrant being the third pillar.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new rumor mill based on twitter folk in the nms community contacting Sony chat for NMS VR info and they said August 16th something will happen. Could be randos though making stuff up, but a nms streamer was just talking about it.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The new rumor mill based on twitter folk in the nms community contacting Sony chat for NMS VR info and they said August 16th something will happen. Could be randos though making stuff up, but a nms streamer was just talking about it.

Just as long as it's before September, lol. I have an assload of Freelance work headed my way in September, and I'm in no way excited to fight off temptation.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a controller and I was hoping to jump into this before the meat of our audit starts. I'm a day one purchaser of this game, never really played it outside of the first week of release, hoped for a VR version and I'm just simply waiting for it to update and come out.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't touched the game in months, Probably a year. I know I had an exotic S class ship, When the VR patch drops I'm playing it again asap! Manually controlling that ship will be surreal.

See you all at trade posts or something.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Sean had set an automated retweet for 1 Aug:

My guess is he set it back in December and forgot about it. It probably means nothing, but at least people going crazy over it on reddit is entertaining.

EDIT: link not working, changed it.
EDIT2: their Facebook account posted a message saying that Beyond will release on the 14th of August. It used the same layout as the one for NEXT and was promptly removed. Probably a hack.

Last edited:

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Sean had set an automated retweet for 1 Aug:

My guess is he set it back in December and forgot about it. It probably means nothing, but at least people going crazy over it on reddit is entertaining.

EDIT: link not working, changed it.
EDIT2: their Facebook account posted a message saying that Beyond will release on the 14th of August. It used the same layout as the one for NEXT and was promptly removed. Probably a hack.

I don't know, I can't imagine their account was hacked. For a bunch of guys who built a procedurally generated universe, I find it hard to believe their password would be 1234.

I think it's more likely it was a scheduled post and the date is still up in the air.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I can't imagine their account was hacked. For a bunch of guys who built a procedurally generated universe, I find it hard to believe their password would be 1234.

I think it's more likely it was a scheduled post and the date is still up in the air.
Well, that might be true, but the post was really weird for being a mistake. It was exactly identical to the one announcing NEXT, but instead of NEXT they had put Beyond and they changed the date to the 14th of August. Why reuse the old post if they wanted to announce Beyond?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Well, that might be true, but the post was really weird for being a mistake. It was exactly identical to the one announcing NEXT, but instead of NEXT they had put Beyond and they changed the date to the 14th of August. Why reuse the old post if they wanted to announce Beyond?

I work in marketing, and believe me when I say Copy & Paste culture is strong amongst our ilk. I just don't think they were "hacked". More than likely it was just a botched post, and nothing more.

Esrb just rated Beyond. Id say its looking likely the leaks are true for a release in 2 weeks or so.

Does the ESRB usually rate big patches like this? Being rated likely means another re-release, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.