• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
5taquitos makes a good point HalStep a base is one thing but the perfect base on the perfect planet is quite another, given how simple it is to warp to and from bases its simple to chuck down something functional to progress the storyline and while doing so try to find that perfect spot.

For example It took a while to find this spot on a hill overlooking a lake and a Portal on a perfect planet. As such the Base itself remains bare bones for now, lots of stuff is floating and it doesn't have a roof :D
p9Lsegl.jpg

[edit] i've been so looking forward to trying the game out in VR it didn't occur to me til earlier that trying it out on our new Ambilight TV is going to be exciting enough, and it is :D

kef0iOB.jpg

Last edited:

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the replies,i'll go with all the advice and start with something basic base wise and get so far in.I'll be starting sniper elite tonight and by the time i've finished with it the new patch should be out so i can start fresh there.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
as someone who owns a PC VR system and a playstation copy of NMS, i hope that a tleast some day there will be crossplay so we can local multiplayer up in this

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

The final, most mysterious pillar of this update is actually a stack of smaller updates - so many, in fact, that Hello Games is choosing to take the step of upping No Man's Sky's version number. As a marker of the size of this undertaking, Murray tells me to look at the changelist for the Next update. It's long, comprised of almost 250 bulletpoints' worth of tweaks and additions. Beyond's list is, apparently, almost twice as long.

That community-focused approach to fixes and additions is why, at first glance, the slice of Beyond's changelist I'm shown is almost hilariously varied. There's the fundamental stuff: a new Galactic Map, brand new alien races, more accessibility options. There's also some small-scale, very specific stuff: chairs can now be sat in, NPCs actually walk around, there are recipes to make (although we're not told for what). And then there are the oddities, the kinds of things that only truly long-time players would think to ask for, like how alien creatures can now be ridden, farmed or, er, milked.

One of the most exciting elements is the expansion of base-building, not only allowing you to make bigger, but more complex structures. There are industrial elements for automating resource production, not to mention logic pieces that will allow you build 'smart' structures, not unlike Minecraft's redstone. When I walk into Hello Games' gameplay room, a group of devs is playing a version of Rocket League they've built on an abandoned moon. It's clearly pretty malleable.

Sounds promising but looking at the trailer I notice the grass pop-in and draw distance are still limited and the clouds still look low res.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
is there a Discord server, for this OT by any chance?
I was gonna say there's instructions in the OT but it looks like the link is expired. I'd love that too if someone has the ability to generate a new invite.

Sorry. should find a new invite below.

I think Kyuuji will be making a new OT for Beyond as well so I'll make sure its an updated link there as well

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
How's the co-op aspect?

My brother and I have been needing a new co-op game to hold us until Borderlands and Gears arrive. Seeing this is on sale for $25, it might be time to give it a look

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Still on the fence about restarting. Ive played since launch off and on, and restarted once when my home base planet was completely different. The materials all changed as well so I thought it was a good time.

Now... I didnt get super far into anything and just enjoyed exploration. I still have no interest in multiplayer, but I will be trying VR on day one. Since Ive already restarted once, I guess it isnt a huge deal.

Restart or no? Im really thinking no since I have a decent ship and upgrades finally, a hard milestone to grind to. Then again, loved every minute of it so...

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Still on the fence about restarting. Ive played since launch off and on, and restarted once when my home base planet was completely different. The materials all changed as well so I thought it was a good time.

Now... I didnt get super far into anything and just enjoyed exploration. I still have no interest in multiplayer, but I will be trying VR on day one. Since Ive already restarted once, I guess it isnt a huge deal.

Restart or no? Im really thinking no since I have a decent ship and upgrades finally, a hard milestone to grind to. Then again, loved every minute of it so...

I will be restarting for sure. I'm not that far into the game so it's not a big deal, and I want to make sure nothing weird messes up my run, like it happened in the past after some of the other huge updates. Just to be on the safe side. And anyway, it will be fun restarting with all of the stuff they are adding/modifying.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the Beyond update adds proper 21:9 support. Just booted it for the first time and am bummed that it just stretches the entire game out.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

i'm so sick of restarting this game. i've restarted it like 15 times. ive played my last save for like 35 hours and can actually do advanced things now.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How's the co-op aspect?

My brother and I have been needing a new co-op game to hold us until Borderlands and Gears arrive. Seeing this is on sale for $25, it might be time to give it a look

I've not played the multiplayer extensively, and I've never bothered with randoms but the few times I've played with a friend its been fun enough. Building a base together is cool.

Every time it comes up I always say to restart, I always have. I enjoy that fresh starter planet smell and those opening hours and seeing all the new additions come together at their appropriate time. Having said that though I can understand when you may get to the point where you don't have the time to get back to where you are, especially if you've just gotten a great ship or a a ton of things unlocked.
If you have the spare time, I'd say restart.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I was also thinking about restarting, and I might still do it, but I loaded up my last save and with my nice ship, all my various upgrades and money earned, it's kinda hard to just say goodbye to it all. I need to either commit to a new start or just continue forward with my current save. I know I won't be able to do both. I'll prob start up my existing save when Beyond drops and see how it's implemented. If it's pretty seamless, I'll prob just stay with it.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Since this is such a massive update and I havent played since Feb, I'll restart. But I will miss gunning pirates instead of running.

Now I have to wait to play...

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about it, the harder it is to make the decision on whether to start over or not.

On one hand, I read that you are now able to better choose path from early game (can't find the source for this though). And I get to experience the early game again which is great.

On the other, I don't think I can keep playing unless there is much more variation on each biome, so I might just want to jump in on my main save, try the new stuff and move on.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna start over and I can't wait! Always fun to start over everytime an update comes around. I'm very excited about VR, allthough I'm also a bit worried I'll get motion sickness. VR games where I stand still like Beat Saber and Super Hot has been no problem at all, but I tried Skyrim a bit(for like 10 minutes) and it made me feel a bit weird. However, haven't tried to get used to it so hopefully I can do that. I just imagine spinning around in a spaceship might be even worse!

Riding creatures will be so cool!

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
With the new update coming, I'm probably going to dive back in.

There's one thing I simply cannot figure out. Bases, warps, warp gates, etc. Basically, they've introduced ways to "fast travel" and such, but I just don't get it. Is there a good video or guide I can check out to make that shit make sense? I feel like I've got bases all over the universe and storage boxes full of random shit just hanging out that I'll never see again.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
With the new update coming, I'm probably going to dive back in.

There's one thing I simply cannot figure out. Bases, warps, warp gates, etc. Basically, they've introduced ways to "fast travel" and such, but I just don't get it. Is there a good video or guide I can check out to make that shit make sense? I feel like I've got bases all over the universe and storage boxes full of random shit just hanging out that I'll never see again.
Warp drives are the things in your ship or freighter that lets you hop between star systems. Teleporters are on the space stations in every inhabited system you visit, and can be built at any base you own. Any teleporter can teleport you to any other teleporter. The gates are basically stargates; you dial an address and it takes you to a specific point.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Warp drives are the things in your ship or freighter that lets you hop between star systems. Teleporters are on the space stations in every inhabited system you visit, and can be built at any base you own. Any teleporter can teleport you to any other teleporter. The gates are basically stargates; you dial an address and it takes you to a specific point.

Can I name my teleport locations so I know WHERE I'm teleporting to? And maybe more importantly...Can I remove them so I don't clog my list?

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Can I name my teleport locations so I know WHERE I'm teleporting to? And maybe more importantly...Can I remove them so I don't clog my list?
You can name the base itself, and the teleporter list should reflect that. You can also filter the list of teleporter locations to just show your bases. Deleting the teleporter at a base should remove it from the list, thought that can be a little iffy.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
BF49D2CC80B79FD24AF95D1EC090010777209CA7

Finally found a planet I want to try building on, with the most gorgeous underwater views, but I'm terrified it will look completely different when Beyond launches =(

Any advice for base building? Something I can do to get ready for it while I wait for Beyond, like specific things to craft or materials to hoard? It's all really new to me. Been too focused on getting some great S-Class ships, and searching for the ideal home planet, to really try building. I have two dream S-Class ships now though, and a dream planet =)

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Any advice for base building? Something I can do to get ready for it while I wait for Beyond, like specific things to craft or materials to hoard?

DO you have a freighter and mining ships? Each mining ship will gift you 100 magnetized ferrite once an hour. You can then refine that ore down to pure ferrite at a 1:2 ratio. It's an easy way to build up pure ferrite which you'll need a lot of if you're going to build an underwater base.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

Finally found a planet I want to try building on, with the most gorgeous underwater views, but I'm terrified it will look completely different when Beyond launches =(

Any advice for base building? Something I can do to get ready for it while I wait for Beyond, like specific things to craft or materials to hoard? It's all really new to me. Been too focused on getting some great S-Class ships, and searching for the ideal home planet, to really try building. I have two dream S-Class ships now though, and a dream planet =)
DO you have a freighter and mining ships? Each mining ship will gift you 100 magnetized ferrite once an hour. You can then refine that ore down to pure ferrite at a 1:2 ratio. It's an easy way to build up pure ferrite which you'll need a lot of if you're going to build an underwater base.
In addition, you need lots of ferrite dust, and that's one thing you can't get from refining (outside of breaking down far more rare ingredients). So if you see ferrite dust for sale in an NPC inventory, buy all of it (you can always convert it to pure ferrite and then magnetized ferrite as needed). Otherwise, you're going to spend a lot of time smashing rocks.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to the above, one of the first things I build at a new base is a trade terminal. Base trade terminals almost always have things like ferrite dust, ion batteries, metal plates, and other materials you'll need to build teleporters, landing pads, refiners, etc. Having one at the start saves so much time that would be otherwise spent either crafting the materials yourself or traveling to an NPC location.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just started replaying again, got my old save back. Just finished the Atlas and Null quest (well until i go to the center of the universe) and a fine gentleman came into my game and gift me 300,000,000 mil credits, i just bought a S-Class Hauler with 39 slots and a Freighter Class A. I HATE inventory management so this was a godsend (I only had previously 4 millions).

Is there a way to sell old spaceship I have in my hangar?

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Just started replaying again, got my old save back. Just finished the Atlas and Null quest (well until i go to the center of the universe) and a fine gentleman came into my game and gift me 300,000,000 mil credits, i just bought a S-Class Hauler with 39 slots and a Freighter Class A. I HATE inventory management so this was a godsend (I only had previously 4 millions).

Is there a way to sell old spaceship I have in my hangar?
You can't sell old spaceships, but you can trade them in for new ones. Simply take them to a space station or other landing platform and wait for a ship you want to come along, at which point you can make an offer and trade your old ship's value. This is useful if you find a system with a nice exotic.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
In addition, you need lots of ferrite dust, and that's one thing you can't get from refining (outside of breaking down far more rare ingredients). So if you see ferrite dust for sale in an NPC inventory, buy all of it (you can always convert it to pure ferrite and then magnetized ferrite as needed). Otherwise, you're going to spend a lot of time smashing rocks.
In addition to the above, one of the first things I build at a new base is a trade terminal. Base trade terminals almost always have things like ferrite dust, ion batteries, metal plates, and other materials you'll need to build teleporters, landing pads, refiners, etc. Having one at the start saves so much time that would be otherwise spent either crafting the materials yourself or traveling to an NPC location.
Amazing, thank you! I don't have a decent freighter yet, only the free one. I keep waiting to come across a pretty one but haven't yet =P I do have 70 mil though, and can easily get that over 100 with all my S-Class scanners for fauna and flora, so will focus on this. Tips for ferrite are really useful too, so I'll be sure to stock up on that and place a trade terminal ASAP.

Question about mining ships - are those frigates? I can never work out how to recruit them. I see the green logos near them labelled as "hirable" or something sometimes, but I can never land on them or open comm channels no matter how close I get. Not sure what I'm missing there. I've mostly ignored my freighter so might be missing a tutorial step perhaps.
I HATE inventory management so this was a godsend (I only had previously 4 millions).
The way I make easy credits is by checking every space station for S-Class scanners at the multi-tool salesman. Last I checked they cap out at about 3, so you want at least that many installed. A-Class would probably be fine while you're looking for S-Class. With three S-Class scanners installed I get around 150k credits for every animal scan, and 50k credits for every plant scan. You can get multiple millions from an average planet.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The way I make easy credits is by checking every space station for S-Class scanners at the multi-tool salesman. Last I checked they cap out at about 3, so you want at least that many installed. A-Class would probably be fine while you're looking for S-Class. With three S-Class scanners installed I get around 150k credits for every animal scan, and 50k credits for every plant scan. You can get multiple millions from an average planet.

I do have S-class scanning installed, but everytime I go to a planet, I either forgot about the animals or when i think about scanning them, there are no where in sight

Anyway, before getting a S-class Hauler, I had made a purchase of a A-class for 40 million, and now i think it's just money down the drain since Im pretty sure i won't use it again

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Amazing, thank you! I don't have a decent freighter yet, only the free one. I keep waiting to come across a pretty one but haven't yet =P I do have 70 mil though, and can easily get that over 100 with all my S-Class scanners for fauna and flora, so will focus on this. Tips for ferrite are really useful too, so I'll be sure to stock up on that and place a trade terminal ASAP.

Question about mining ships - are those frigates? I can never work out how to recruit them. I see the green logos near them labelled as "hirable" or something sometimes, but I can never land on them or open comm channels no matter how close I get. Not sure what I'm missing there. I've mostly ignored my freighter so might be missing a tutorial step perhaps.

Does it still work that as long as you don't buy the free freighter the first one you save will be free allowing you to wait to find a good one for free?

And also if you save before you jump you can go back to that save and jump to the same spot and it will have the same freighter design but different stats allowing you to cheese getting the freighter design you want with decent stats?

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

When you approach a hirable frigate, your ship should alert you to an open comm. Maybe there is a new tutorial step, you might want to land on your freighter and talk to the crew to see if it something gets kicked off.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

70 million seems like a lot, but freighters will quickly run up over several hundred million, so it's nice to get a fair amount of coin to prepare for that. As I've mentioned, there's a very simple method to make billions of credits very quickly; it doesn't involve setting up a farm or planning out a galactic trade route or anything complicated like that. You can refer to this post for instructions. Basically, you fill your inventory with a reasonably high-priced item (in this case, technology modules), and then you move from system to system selling them all (which craters their value) and then buying them all back up cause they're now cheap. Rinse and repeat, 10 million units or more per transaction. Got a hundred systems in your teleporter list? That's over a billion credits right there.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
70 million seems like a lot, but freighters will quickly run up over several hundred million, so it's nice to get a fair amount of coin to prepare for that. As I've mentioned, there's a very simple method to make billions of credits very quickly; it doesn't involve setting up a farm or planning out a galactic trade route or anything complicated like that. You can refer to this post for instructions. Basically, you fill your inventory with a reasonably high-priced item (in this case, technology modules), and then you move from system to system selling them all (which craters their value) and then buying them all back up cause they're now cheap. Rinse and repeat, 10 million units or more per transaction. Got a hundred systems in your teleporter list? That's over a billion credits right there.
Haha, that's amazing! I'll see how many tech modules I can hold. I don't have 50 systems though. Maybe 20? Seems like I can still make a lot though!

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Haha, that's amazing! I'll see how many tech modules I can hold. I don't have 50 systems though. Maybe 20? Seems like I can still make a lot though!
Yeah, it's more an endgame strategy to give a rapid boost in credits when pricing out the most expensive ships and freighters. I've rolled it a couple times and I'm just shy of 3 billion now, so it's massively effective. I will say that you should focus on maxing out suit inventory (and cargo slots) before attempting it. If you're able to hold 300+ technology modules, you'll make a killing. If you can only hold 50, it becomes a far less viable strategy. And when you do it, it's not going to work again in any system you visited for another 24+ ingame hours, so repeating it generally means investing in a lot of warps to unlock new systems. I was a fan of doing that anyway because I liked stocking up on similar jobs at the job board (e.g. Scan 5 Plants); you can get dozens of similar jobs, do them all simultaneously and turn them all in together for a massive amount of nanites or other rewards (they don't need to be done in the system you collect them in).

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

oooo Pretty! Hopefully Beyond doesn't affect it (fingers crossed).

Some advice I would give, while you wait could be to find a similar planet in Creative mode and play about with base design (and since the others have mentioned what to horde) that way you mess about with some different layouts and see which parts go together well before you start on your "real"save.

Regarding freighters, as Tigress alludes to you can "farm" the event where there is a freighter battle to try and find a good quality one with a price reduction. As it is currently (or last time I checked) 3 hours of gametime in a system should all but guarantee a freighter battle at your next warp. If you save prior to this warp you can try over and over to find a decent looking ship, furthermore if you warp to an affluent system that increases the quality of the freighter, or at least the chance of a high quality freighter. Like Atomic says though you'll need several hundred million if you want to be able to buy that S class (about 500,000,000 for an S class last I looked).
Though I've never tried it to confirm it the first freighter you're offered should be "free" so if you refuse the first one (and keep refusing subsequently) you should be able to save grabbing a freebie until you spot an S class later. I may try on this fresh run though since I largely ignore freighters until late game anyway.

Last edited:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Though I've never tried it to confirm it the first freighter you're offered should be "free" so if you refuse the first one (and keep refusing subsequently) you should be able to save grabbing a freebie until you spot an S class later. I may try on this fresh run though since I largely ignore freighters until late game anyway.
Noooo, please don't bring up scumming for a good starting freighter, it gave me massive "Should I Restart?" anxiety when it came up a few pages back. :P

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oooo Pretty! Hopefully Beyond doesn't affect it (fingers crossed).

Some advice I would give, while you wait could be to find a similar planet in Creative mode and play about with base design (and since the others have mentioned what to horde) that way you mess about with some different layouts and see which parts go together well before you start on your "real"save.

Regarding freighters, as Tigress alludes to you can "farm" the event where there is a freighter battle to try and find a good quality one with a price reduction. As it is currently (or last time I checked) 3 hours of gametime in a system should all but guarantee a freighter battle at your next warp. If you save prior to this warp you can try over and over to find a decent looking ship, furthermore if you warp to an affluent system that increases the quality of the freighter, or at least the chance of a high quality freighter. Like Atomic says though you'll need several hundred million if you want to be able to buy that S class (about 500,000,000 for an S class last I looked).
I got an A-Class Freighter at 145mil, does an S-Class is really worth the 355mil more?

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
With freighters what really matters is cargo slots and finding a design you like. Class rating really only affects hyperdrive range, and you can get regular ships with better range anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The only thing that matters about a freighter is that they have slots so you can purchase additional ships, and they all have that regardless of class or slots. I rarely use freighter cargo storage for anything outside tons of frigate fuel (for fleet missions). As mentioned above, you can get significantly better hyperdrive range off other ships, and while you can build on your freighter, I prefer a land base for ease of use. So really, the main thing ends up being aesthetics; some of them are quite nice to look at and others are hideous.

Status
Not open for further replies.