• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Wow... Didn't they update the game last month? The pace is insane lol

Huge station upgrades and customisable ships are pretty significant. Feels like people have wanted these features for a long time.
I know I/we say this every time, but...it might be time to start a new save.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow... Didn't they update the game last month? The pace is insane lol

Huge station upgrades and customisable ships are pretty significant. Feels like people have wanted these features for a long time.
I know I/we say this every time, but...it might be time to start a new save.
It's definitely tempting. They improved the story last patch, and with the new guild stuff it might be fun to try out everything from a new perspective.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Building ships is pretty neat. You still have to ship hunt to find parts to build with, so ship hunting isn't dead at all, but you now have so much capability to create your own S class ships with custom coloring, it's great.

Made myself a red white and blue S class fighter:

piOVWXl.jpg

Also made a red explorer with the X-wings:

sjQCmsu.jpg

The new stations are awesome too, so much variety. I like how they kept the old stations for pirate hubs, makes them feel very much like small outposts now compared to the new large stations.

I bet they introduce new ship components down the line, maybe with expeditions even. Also shuttles aren't included for custom building yet, but the preview trailer showed them being customized, so that's probably coming at a later date.

Oct 27, 2017
Building ships is pretty neat. You still have to ship hunt to find parts to build with, so ship hunting isn't dead at all, but you now have so much capability to create your own S class ships with custom coloring, it's great.

Made myself a red white and blue S class fighter:

piOVWXl.jpg

Also made a red explorer with the X-wings:

sjQCmsu.jpg

The new stations are awesome too, so much variety. I like how they kept the old stations for pirate hubs, makes them feel very much like small outposts now compared to the new large stations.

I bet they introduce new ship components down the line, maybe with expeditions even. Also shuttles aren't included for custom building yet, but the preview trailer showed them being customized, so that's probably coming at a later date.
Looks great. No update for Xbox/PC gamepass yet. Almost ready to move the Steam version and try to port my 190+ save over.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Probably a dumb question considering how hyped everyone is about the new update, but is this a good time to get back into the game and start a new playthrough? I haven't played regularly in about 6 months or so. I almost jumped in for the update that had the cool new ships, but never really got traction enough to do it.

Are there more ways to make money now? Last time I played I was having trouble making money relatively quickly.

Oct 27, 2017
Coming next week for Xbox/PC gamepass.

Think i'll be buying the steam version. Had enough.

news.xbox.com

No Man's Sky Orbital Update Introduces Space Station Overhaul, Ship Customization, and More - Xbox Wire

Orbital focusses on an area of the game which has remained largely unchanged since No Man’s Sky launched on Xbox five years ago. It’s an aspect which every player encounters almost every time they embark on a new adventure - the ever-present space stations!

Editor's Note (March 29, 2024): Hello Games is still in the process of getting No Man's Sky's Orbital update available for gamers on Xbox. We expect this to arrive early next week.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Update on Switch today.

Not that this update had a huge impact as for why I'm hooked again, but cranking out the autophage missions to get more customization for my avatar has been fun. Lots of cool stuff that I find appealing.

This is also super good on the Steam Deck! It's a shame the Switch doesn't have access to MP. Only an issue because the Nexus hub can be fun to just see what everyone has.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Probably a dumb question considering how hyped everyone is about the new update, but is this a good time to get back into the game and start a new playthrough? I haven't played regularly in about 6 months or so. I almost jumped in for the update that had the cool new ships, but never really got traction enough to do it.

Are there more ways to make money now? Last time I played I was having trouble making money relatively quickly.
As someone with 200+ hours and wouldn't restart, its kind of hard to say yes, but I think that there's no real wrong time to start playing the game again from the beginning. Following along the "main" storyline should open up a lot of the newer stuff (like the Autophage/Staff Multi-tool quests) in a more organic way, rather than like how i had to do it by trying to figure out what perquisite quest i didn't have done yet or never got activated.

As for money, they've kind of pushed the quests you do for the different factions (Merchant, Explorers & Mercenaries) as something you'll want to do now, as they reward money, items, nanites etc. I noticed they also have some now for the Pirates and Autophages so you've got even more options.
Settlements once you fix them up and can turn a profit are nice, same with having farms for the activated metals/plants which you can sell and turn a real nice profit on.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
As someone with 200+ hours and wouldn't restart, its kind of hard to say yes, but I think that there's no real wrong time to start playing the game again from the beginning. Following along the "main" storyline should open up a lot of the newer stuff (like the Autophage/Staff Multi-tool quests) in a more organic way, rather than like how i had to do it by trying to figure out what perquisite quest i didn't have done yet or never got activated.

As for money, they've kind of pushed the quests you do for the different factions (Merchant, Explorers & Mercenaries) as something you'll want to do now, as they reward money, items, nanites etc. I noticed they also have some now for the Pirates and Autophages so you've got even more options.
Settlements once you fix them up and can turn a profit are nice, same with having farms for the activated metals/plants which you can sell and turn a real nice profit on.
Ah okay. Thanks for the info. And yeah I'm mostly just restarting because it's been basically a year since I touched my save. I don't remember what I was doing, where I've been, or what my goals were. I hate coming back to a save like that. I do it for RPGs all the time especially.

Maybe I'm just weird lol