• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im just gonna assume there isnt alot of PCVR talk because they are all off having an absolute blast in game.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile at fucking work.

tenor.gif

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
wait I thought it worked like most Move Locomotion VR games? Thought I read that from most comments. that it works like Skyrim, etc. Where the Left move is sort of a virtual joystick, and tilting it backwards moves you backwards, tilting left and right lets you strafe, etc. While the Move button is pressed. Is it really not like that? I hate games that only let you walk were you are looking. Im sure that has to be an option somewhere.

It's like that too, as help, but it's pretty gently.
But I couldn't get a backwards walk to work like in Skyrim when you hold the left one behind you.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
wait I thought it worked like most Move Locomotion VR games? Thought I read that from most comments. that it works like Skyrim, etc. Where the Left move is sort of a virtual joystick, and tilting it backwards moves you backwards, tilting left and right lets you strafe, etc. While the Move button is pressed. Is it really not like that? I hate games that only let you walk were you are looking. Im sure that has to be an option somewhere.

That poster has it wrong (sort of). You hold the move button to move foward (not the trigger). You can move your head left and right to get a little motion either way, but major turning is done via the X and O buttons on the right move controller. You can either have teleportation movement or smooth, and turning can either be snap or smooth.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Just tried for like 5 min on the base PS4 in VR.

It looks bad. It's very blurry and, at first impression, it almost looked like a painted background. Maybe because of LOD, not sure. It looks super fake.

I mean, its understandable because the PS4 is a weak system for VR but it's not there as an experience. I'm going to try the update on the Xbox X.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
i started from scratch and while it only takes you like 15-20 minutes until you are in space, they made everything else worse. if you follow the story (to get the first hyperdrive) the game bombards you with shitty base-buidling tutorials (build a computer, now make some walls, now a roof, now build a reasearch station, build some more walls, now craft a teleporter, then on to a powergrid for your base....). dude, i just want a freaking hyperdrive and explore. i dont care about basebuilding.

still, the improvements are massive, the game also runs/looks much better than before (ps4 pro, 1080p mode).

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Are the crashes happening on new saves or old saves? Or both?

if freaking steam just actually started the download instead of scheduling it to start 4 hours later I'd be playing right now. Glad I checked on it.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god, sounds like they fixed all the issues with the beta. The HDR was especially bad and blown out completely.

I never tried it in the experimental branch, but it *looks* correct to me and similar to other PC HDR games I own. I'm using an Asus PG27UQ monitor .

Now that I got the visuals set, I'll be diving in with a new save when I get back home. Still going to keep my old save though .

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
So I haven't played since vanilla. What's the best way for my group of friends to start/meet up from a fresh start?

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tried a bit earlier but the servers are getting so hammered that trying to interact with NPCs in the Nexus results in nothing. The framerate in the Nexus on PS4 Pro is also straight terrible.

I'll give it some time for the servers to smooth out and try again tonight.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I wanted to try out the game on PSvr and payed 3 hours straight.
I'm amazed.
The graphics are obviously blurry and the pop in is bad (allround i would say a biiiiit better than skyrim pre-patch) but the immersion and sense of scale is phenomenal.
I'm sure a pro patch and allround optimization can get quite a bit more out of the game.
Controls are better than expected, starship is a bit wonky at first but I got used to it rather quickly. HOTAS support would be cool though.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR players - a couple of the NMS Youtubers are saying that disabling multiplayer seems to improve image quality.

Can anyone verify?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
i started from scratch and while it only takes you like 15-20 minutes until you are in space, they made everything else worse. if you follow the story (to get the first hyperdrive) the game bombards you with shitty base-buidling tutorials (build a computer, now make some walls, now a roof, now build a reasearch station, build some more walls, now craft a teleporter, then on to a powergrid for your base....). dude, i just want a freaking hyperdrive and explore. i dont care about basebuilding.

still, the improvements are massive, the game also runs/looks much better than before (ps4 pro, 1080p mode).

This is why I haven't started again since vanilla. Game is too bloated in tutorial quests (understandable, because it can get pretty complex, but not fun to do it twice).

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You have to start the game with the VR headset activated, you can't switch around.

... Besides the website claiming you could.
E3uAc6o.jpg

Tell me lies Todd uh I mean Sean.

Switch seamlessly between VR and standard gameplay. Continue from an existing save to revisit favourite planets, bases, and creatures in full Virtual Reality.

That quote has "continue from an existing save" right in it. It refers to the VR and pancake versions sharing the same save file.

It's not Sean lying.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played in a loooong time (maybe since the first update?) so it's tempting to start over, but I worked hard doing the ship swap grind to get my current ship, and my mining tool is one of those weird semi-organic ones, so there's no freaking way I'm gonna lose them. Plus I only need like one or two more of those orb things to finish the story mode and I do nooooot want to start that over.

Just... just 6 more hours until I can go home and clean off my PSVR set.... only 6 more hours... hnnngggg

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So I just playing for basically the first time, and I'm curious about something. The game keeps telling me to install things into my multitool, but I only have 2 slots and it takes 1000 credits to repair the other slots so do I just keep destroying and rebuilding the different tools each time I need to use them? How can I make credits when there's no traders around?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont care how neat a game is, if it crashes after 5 fuvking minutes EVERY SINGLE TIME, its bad.

This is ridiculous, especially when the PSMove flight controls are floaty and Garbage.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have one question: Is it worse than Driveclub VR? Because the IQ on that game was so bad I couldn't play it.

I haven't played Driveclub VR. I bought Skyrim VR yesterday and NMS is definitely a lot uglier than that on Pro.
This is playable in PSVR but it would be nice to see at least little resolution boost in Pro.

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got this for $5 at walmart, looking forward to trying this out.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Started this and it looked awful. Blacks were clipped to all hell and back and whites were really flat. Restarted and still it looked like that. Then I remembered that I'm on the beta firmware with the HDR adjustment settings and that I'd pushed the sliders to extremes to see if I could force a visual change. I readjusted those and yup, that fixed it. Still testing to find optimal settings but it's a pain in the ass having to restart NMS every time. :/

EvilBoris do you have NMS on the PS4?
I have it on Xbox
The HDR was always pretty good, beyond a slightly weird setup. I'll have a look at it and see if it's changed.

Those beta settings don't do anything to any games yet as far as I can see (despite people claiming otherwise), I'm working on a video about it at the moment.
Interesting if you are seeing a difference in NMS

Mar 29, 2018
Being inside your spaceship for the first time is mind-blowing

The PC VR implementation seems fantastic but performance is weird on my very powerful machine. Kind of like it's struggling to get the frames up in VR time, so everything is wobbly around the edges.

Think my hard drive is playing up, so could be that. Might reinstall to SSD.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
PSVR players - a couple of the NMS Youtubers are saying that disabling multiplayer seems to improve image quality.

Can anyone verify?
I tried it and unsure because I'm suspecting it might be when you get off your first planet. Since doing so I've found the visuals to still be middling and bad at distance, but there's a much wider range that's in focus now. Lamptramp do you think yours was much better just because it was snow?

Either way, having a very good time in VR.

PS4 Base/Pro VR Comparisons

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
OK MultiMoo (since you mentioned some comparison pics) and anyone else who may be bothered, Since I have both Base and Pro PS4's I thought I would do a little comparison.

I thought I'd do a quick run round a freighter where my save was after I started again post update, for no reason other than that's where I was. It's the same save I copied via the cloud so everything should be the same, also I have the pro set to 1080p to force NMS into a "performance" profile.

some quick notes.
  • I think maybe I should have taken more screenshots of closer things, the ship and its interior look rather good close up, things definitely get muddier the further away you go.
  • This world looked a lot better than the one I first spawned at which was all red and browns and murky.
  • I didn't really replicate angles of shots or what I repeated very accurately
  • it was a pain to wait for the night cycle to keep things in as similar light as I could get it :P
  • I doubt I'll play it in VR extensively, not because its particularly "awful" but I don't really like to shut myself off from the rest of the world while I binge. I will use the VR to checkout my ships as and when I get them.

mto0bAt.jpg

PS4 Pro "Performance" mode.

WZPDihU.png

PS4 Pro VR "Performance" mode

ZTMoYQ3.png

PS4 Base VR

9PNVSZs.jpg

0EvlD9I.png

PS4 Pro VR "Performance" mode

ygnv3Jj.png

PS4 Base VR

The screenshots are a bit off on different angles so its probably not the best for comparison, and truth be told it was a "do a couple while I'm here, I figured video footage may be better.

PS4 Pro VR "Performance" mode.

PS4 Base VR

Phew, that took longer than I thought it would.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
My game crashes every 5 minute now. On PS4 slim. :( It's unplayable. Its weird cuz it was going well for the first hours. Reinstalled the game, unplug the console from the wall. Nada.

I hope they patch it soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Need copper to make a tool. But everytime I analyse the ground and find a copper deposit and then dig down with the terrain manipulator I can't find any? What am I doing wrong?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I tried it and unsure because I'm suspecting it might be when you get off your first planet. Since doing so I've found the visuals to still be middling and bad at distance, but there's a much wider range that's in focus now. Lamptramp do you think yours was much better just because it was snow?

Not sure, I didnt really spend a lot of time with it on planet one, but the snowy one looked much better, better than the above would have you believe. Screenshots and video don't really do it justice (not that its "amazing" IRL or anything)
I had my MP set to friends only for the above media Belvedere I didn't think to try it otherwise, sorry.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

You can just turn off the Multiplayer? I thought you had to take your PS4 offline to do that but is it in the options now?

God I think I might be coming down with something reading all these impressions, might not... make it through the rest of the work day...!

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Need copper to make a tool. But everytime I analyse the ground and find a copper deposit and then dig down with the terrain manipulator I can't find any? What am I doing wrong?
Copper should be visible on the surface. It's a golden shiny area and should be obtained as soon as you use the terrain manipulator on it. Does it appear that way for you?

Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to jump back into this game! I haven't played since launch week back in 2016. I LOVED it for that week, but fell off of it. HOWEVER! This update looks awesome, and I loved the basics behind the game and the worlds and the feel of it all.

Have they increased the variety of generated planets and animals/plants?
That's one thing I remember hoping they would update for sure.

Edit: For example I saw someone fly to a ringed planet earlier today, and I don't remember there being ringed planets back at launch.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I haven't played Driveclub VR. I bought Skyrim VR yesterday and this is definitely a lot uglier than that on Pro.
This is playable in PSVR but it would be nice to see at least little resolution boost in Pro.

As I said before in the thread

Also to those saying this looks worse than Skyrim PSVR, keep in mind there's two Skyrim PSVRs. There's the launch game visuals, and there's post Pro patch visuals. Skyrim PSVR was Pro patched last year. So if your only experience was the Pro patch, you might feel this looks better. But if you're someone who only played the OG Skyrim PSVR, you might hear the people saying Skyrim looks better and thinking they're full of shit. It all depends on the Pro patch vs. the OG version perspective.

If you just played Skyrim yesterday you're playing a Pro patched version, so it may indeed look better than that. When a lot of people ask if it's looks better than Skyrim they're thinking in their mind the OG Skyrim VR which was released in 2016. It didn't get patched until last year so that's still what most remember as they never played it after the patch.

From everything we can tell this version has not been Pro patched, so there's a chance this patch will end up looking better than the Skyrim patch.

All that said I'm still at work and haven't jumped in for myself yet, I anticipate the experience to have less visual fidelity but more immersion - in other words, exactly what I expected.

Oct 27, 2017
I've played fir about half an hour today on PS4 and it has crashed on me twice. Might leave it a few days before I come back to it.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
PCVR performance on a Rift S is pretty wonky so far. Lots of reprojection and the UI gets really jittery, not to mention it'll randomly kick back to the SteamVR loading portal for half a second. Really wish it had native Oculus SDK support, such a bummer in that regard.

Running a 1070, i7-7700k, and 16gb RAM if anyone was curious about how it might go on comparable specs. I'm going to keep tweaking and crossing my fingers for some further VR improvements, though I guess maybe it's just my PC in conjunction with having to use SteamVR through Oculus (my heart weeps) I might just be out of luck for now.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not sure, I didnt really spend a lot of time with it on planet one, but the snowy one looked much better, better than the above would have you believe. Screenshots and video don't really do it justice (not that its "amazing" IRL or anything)
I had my MP set to friends only for the above media Belvedere I didn't think to try it otherwise, sorry.
All good, I'm too busy admiring the bad planets lol.

You can just turn off the Multiplayer? I thought you had to take your PS4 offline to do that but is it in the options now?

God I think I might be coming down with something reading all these impressions, might not... make it through the rest of the work day...!
Yep, it's in the options.