• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, just Gamma. It's the firmware HDR settings I was playing with and I agree that they don't do anything in other games. Definitely does something in this though.

It's not ideal obviously but here's some captures that still clearly show it's not my imagination.

Baseline:

Now this is with all the sliders pushed to the right:

This is with all the sliders pushed to the left:

oh wow.

I might have to buy it on PS4 now so I can check it out

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Still hoping for a ship upgrade alternative. Want to keep my ship design but need more slots!

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I can't fathom ever wanting to play a game in VR on a PSVR system. I get it's a limitation for some people though (without PC's) but god that's gotta suck. Not even in the context of this game. I just don't think it's a good system, like at all.
This is a pretty shitty and elitist post, hope you realize that this isn't a great look. Somehow though, I don't think you care.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
So, the talk about being able to chose your path early game was bullshit. Still the same shitty, handhold-y tutorial, made even worse by taking up half your screen. Judging from the subreddit and the patch notes, the talk about new biomes was also nonsense, but that did not come as a surprise to me.

On a positive note, the base PS4 version runs so much better. It feels much closer to 60 fps than the previous 20-30, but I am bad at judging stuff like that. There is pretty bad pop-ins but those never bothered me much. The new cockpits are great and the scale of space ships feels so much better. Everything feels so much more polished overall.
Biggest thing was seeing those textures that look likes grapes as bushes again. I have been missing them for a long time.

Going to play my new save a few days, just to make sure there a no reports of corrupt save files, and then go back to my old one. Can't see myself playing through everything again.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone shares the same universe regardless of if you're together or not. So when you start a new game you get dumped off on a random uninhabited planet in the outskirts that'll be your starting point. But if you're grouped up it'll put you in the host/party leader's starting system.

And you can play separately from there. Your saves are independent of each other. And if you join up and you're in different systems again it'll pull you into whatever system the host is currently in.

ok, thanks

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Loaded the PSVR again in creative.

The scale of the ship is cool. Scale in general is nice (in VR it normally is).

The game looks really bad at times. I don't know if it's the lack of shadows but I was standing next to a little mountain and it looked super flat with ugly textures. Shame.

Apart from that I like the tactile feeling of the controls but there are too many actions mapped to the face buttons of the controls which doesn't work since you can't see them.

Also, I think the game is a bit too bloated and slow for VR. There's a lot of menus and options and it takes a long time to mine and move and all of that. It's more tiring in VR than normal flat mode. Obviously the game wasn't designed with this in mind but I think it really shows at times.

Also, the tracking of the moves keeps being less than good but that's not the games fault. I should get a quest eventually. I wonder if games there are less blurry.

Native VR experiences are still better than "full games" like this. Even if the conversion as a lot of merit and it's definetly not half assed! I think they did an awesome job but the limitations of the PS4 and some of the core designs of the game mean I'll just play it on the X.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
game actually looks close to what the initial release trailer was. Planets from outer space look really good.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys recommended starting a new save for this? Mine wasn't very far away in the previous patch

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
Anyone else on PC find that you can't remap keybindings anymore? It's completely bugged on my machine, where none of my old bindings are usable, and it won't let me rebind any actions. The screen looks bugged, since they all have the same icon and blank entries, but not sure if this a universal issue or not.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
UploadVR is claiming these are the optimal VR settings, and AA is the only thing that could be changed from the picture.
2yj2trr6ogg31.png

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm still stunned as to the support this game gets. That we get all this stuff for free is just bonkers. EA or Ubisoft would take insane amounts of cash for this.
It's really fantastic what Hello Games has been doing so far and it makes me think how they can even turn a profit from this.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
What this game needs is a DualShock/Move combo scheme.

DS4 in left hand to move with the analog stick and the Move controller in right hand for the Multitool.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Do you guys recommended starting a new save for this? Mine wasn't very far away in the previous patch

I always start fresh, I like seeing how the new additions come together with the old systems and slowly making my way back up to an interplanetary mogul.
Though I have a lot of time for this game, I don't really have other "service" style games to suck up time like this one.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I can't get this game to launch with PSVR on PS4 Pro, I just get a black screen after clicking the "All Clear" warning.

I have tried turning Boost mode off, full restart of Pro, close application, turn PSVR on then launch NMS, etc but nothing works.

Anyone else also stuck like this?

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
VR mode is pretty rad - you can move really far with the point-and-teleport, really not much of a need to use analog movement.

Ship controls took some getting used to, but it's hella fun flying the ship once you're used to it.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I can't get this game to launch with PSVR on PS4 Pro, I just get a black screen after clicking the "All Clear" warning.

I have tried turning Boost mode off, full restart of Pro, close application, turn PSVR on then launch NMS, etc but nothing works.

Anyone else also stuck like this?

I believe the issue is supersampling, should be turned off.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
can someone answer this please? murray wont asnwer mem on twitter, DO WE HAVE THE HD CLOUDS THAT WERE PROMISED ON THE NEXT UPDATE? or are we still stuck with shitty low res ones?

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can't fathom ever wanting to play a game in VR on a PSVR system. I get it's a limitation for some people though (without PC's) but god that's gotta suck. Not even in the context of this game. I just don't think it's a good system, like at all.

LMAO the PSVR is amazing and I love playing games on it. They easily look good enough.

P.S. How are you enjoying Astrobot (best game in VR)? What about Resident Evil 7 VR? ;)

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm running a GTX 1080ti with an i7 8700k and 32gb of RAM, and the game is running off an NVMe drive, using an Index with Knuckle controllers. VR mode is pretty rough in terms of framerate, and I had to turn off motion settings. Not sure how to improve it further.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm still stunned as to the support this game gets. That we get all this stuff for free is just bonkers. EA or Ubisoft would take insane amounts of cash for this.
It's really fantastic what Hello Games has been doing so far and it makes me think how they can even turn a profit from this.

They made a ton of money on launch and there's a spike in sales every time an update is released. They're a relatively small team too so that money goes a long way. As a UK-based private limited company, you can take a look at their finances yourself, and they're doing very well for themselves.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
gameplay question. I am doing the BioFuel Reactor thing and I just got done connecting to Power Grid and it says to place fuel in the biofuel reactor. I did. Step remains unchecked.

Ideas?

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I believe the issue is supersampling, should be turned off.

I did that by turning boost mode off and did a full restart of the PS4 then checked it was off before launching NMS with PSVR on but still get black screen. If I launch the game and then turn the headset on it just acts like big screen mode not VR.

Edit - NVM Boost mode and Super Sampling are not the same thing. Boost mode works fine being switched on, super Sampling is something different and as soon as I turned it off it worked straight away.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone know a quick and easy way to craft warp cells for the warp drive?

I need to get out of this shitty system, but I am kind of stranded, I can't seem to find the necessary components to craft the warp cell fuel thingy/

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm running a GTX 1080ti with an i7 8700k and 32gb of RAM, and the game is running off an NVMe drive, using an Index with Knuckle controllers. VR mode is pretty rough in terms of framerate, and I had to turn off motion settings. Not sure how to improve it further.
Your setup is very close to mine. I have this game on PC, but no PCVR so I'm excited to try the non-VR tonight and see what kind of performance i can get. Fingers crossed

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth

Ubisoft has been killing it this gen with support for there games.

Dec 5, 2017
The update has completely broken controller support on pc for me. The only control that works is my left stick and no other button or stick does anything.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
When you're joining a friend they host and you would play together on their current planet, keeping whatever you gather. Typically you spawn in space or in a station and you make your way to the host via the marker.
When player 2 logs off and reloads the game later they would be on their own planet. Rather unhelpfully since you mention the beginning Majik13, I'm sorry I don't know how the initial hours would work co-op in terms of progressing the story and quest line. I would rather suspect outside of the specific multiplayer missions solo progression can't be shared, therefore get the opening done solo until you can craft warp cells before pairing up.

Wait what? I thought beyond was suppose to change this? Planets are shared with up to 32 people, why would we be on our own planet? Why would we have to host?

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They made a ton of money on launch and there's a spike in sales every time an update is released. They're a relatively small team too so that money goes a long way. As a UK-based private limited company, you can take a look at their finances yourself, and they're doing very well for themselves.
Didn't know that, will definitely look this up, thanks.

Ubisoft has been killing it this gen with support for there games.
But they are still a not so great example for micro transactions.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So, the talk about being able to chose your path early game was bullshit. Still the same shitty, handhold-y tutorial, made even worse by taking up half your screen. Judging from the subreddit and the patch notes, the talk about new biomes was also nonsense, but that did not come as a surprise to me.
Did you expect both of those off of other people's speculation? Neither of the specific changes you mention were in the patch notes.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to run well enough on x1x based on a few planets. Seems less...dense now. Like less flora and stuff in the environment, but could just be me not remembering what it looked like before

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My PC performance is really good with everything on ultra on a 980ti. Shame the pop-in is a bit worse now. Sucks VR is having performance issues. Im sure over time the issues will be fixed.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I did that by turning boost mode off and did a full restart of the PS4 then checked it was off before launching NMS with PSVR on but still get black screen. If I launch the game and then turn the headset on it just acts like big screen mode not VR.

Sorry, all I'd seen earlier in the thread was it Edge I think mentioned something to do with super-sampling

Wait what? I thought beyond was suppose to change this? Planets are shared, why would we be on our own planet? Why would we have to host?

Beyond has added a new social space and increased the size of multiplayer sessions but not changed the core from NEXT as far as I know. If you join a player in MP you join them wherever the happen to be at that time, their planet, usually. You then play together, gathering building etc until you leave them and return to where you were prior to joining them. As I mentioned earlier, I don't know if the game allows you to share mission progression as you play from the beginning, but there are specific multiplayer missions you gain together at the new social space.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else on PC find that you can't remap keybindings anymore? It's completely bugged on my machine, where none of my old bindings are usable, and it won't let me rebind any actions. The screen looks bugged, since they all have the same icon and blank entries, but not sure if this a universal issue or not.

Yep. Thought it was just me...

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to just continue my existing game after this update and I think I'm going to keep going. They didn't really overhaul basic systems like they did with the Beyond update, just expand them. There's a lot of little QoL improvements in this update but they don't fundamentally change how you approach resources, tech, building, etc.

The biggest change was the need to set up power for my base so my portal would work, but the onscreen prompts are pretty clear on all the steps needed to accomplish this.

I may still start a new game when I get the chance to try out VR, but I reckon that will only be to get the hang of VR and then I'll return to my main save soon after.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same here, and I can't get my controller to work either.

Also possibly related, but when moving around and using the jump pack my character will randomly leap forward quickly, and has thrown me into dangerous flora a couple times. I might just shelve this for a few days while the bugs get sorted out.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
So are lobbies still only 4 players? This means my group is still limited to 4 people even though the game supports up to 32?

Oct 26, 2017
Okay, so I have a base up and running. I'm just a bit confused by the drop pods. I went up to the station and found that the location for a drop pod was super expensive, but I want upgrades so I didn't sell it. Went back down and crafted a navigation table. It turned out that the pod was just around the corner, but okay then.

I seem to remember that pods were just free upgrades in 1.0. Here it seems they require me to repair all three sections using rare ingredients before I get anything. Will I get just one upgrade once I do this?

Also, I don't know how to craft one of the materials. Should I just drop things into the refinery and see what pops out?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
My PC performance is really good with everything on ultra on a 980ti. Shame the pop-in is a bit worse now. Sucks VR is having performance issues. Im sure over time the issues will be fixed.

I'll probably wait for a patch or something before playing in VR but I also want to start brand new in VR. Is it really bad?

PSVR must be a nightmare if PC setups are struggling.

Dec 5, 2017
Same here, and I can't get my controller to work either.

Also possibly related, but when moving around and using the jump pack my character will randomly leap forward quickly, and has thrown me into dangerous flora a couple times. I might just shelve this for a few days while the bugs get sorted out.

Yeah my controller doesn't work.

ProLogY

Banned
May 19, 2018
Is it possible to remap the controls on console yet?

Mapping the sprint button to the right analog stick remains the most mind bogglingly bizzare decisions Hello Games made with No Mans Sky.

I realize this is a small thing. But it makes me crazy when games divert from standard control schemes.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Got back into my ancient save game a couple months ago about really enjoyed all the changes. It's certainly weird to be reasonably far into the game and then be getting "tutorial" content and not be able to do some basic stuff lol

Will definitely be starting up again. Sans VR, of course.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Pretty nice that it shows 'Visited' if you've already talked to an NPC on a space station. I spent a lot of time previously talking to them because I couldn't remember if I did or not. Another nice QoL improvement!