• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Game runs like absolute trash on PC tho. I have to play the game at 50% resolution if I want a frame rate that isn't 40fps. At least it's playable out of the box on PSVR unlike the mess that is the PC version right now

Is it worse than the pre-patch experimental version with the new renderer? That ran a lot better on my (dated) system than anything after the first expansion update.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is it worse than the pre-patch experimental version with the new renderer? That ran a lot better on my (dated) system than anything after the first expansion update.
I didn't play prior to today so I can't answer about previous updates. The new experimental build hasn't helped my VR performance either though if that's what you meant?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hmmm. So what I'm getting is I should wait a little for some patches or avoid the new social hub?

Seems like the social space is a frequent point of issue, (with a patch incoming) and other more random crashes with no common factor. I'd consider backing up my save first (if you're using an existing one) before trying just in case, then trying your luck. I tried an old save and had no bother at all until I dove back into the social space.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I played for three hours last night on my Rift S and the only crash I had was in the Nexus so I'll be avoiding that for a while :)

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Game runs like absolute trash on PC tho. I have to play the game at 50% resolution if I want a frame rate that isn't 40fps. At least it's playable out of the box on PSVR unlike the mess that is the PC version right now

Haven't had a single issue at 3440x1440 or in VR (Rift S) at max settings, but I'm using a 9900k and 2080 Ti.

My only complaint on PC is that the HUD doesn't scale properly for ultrawide.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play prior to today so I can't answer about previous updates. The new experimental build hasn't helped my VR performance either though if that's what you meant?

No, vanilla NMS used to run fine on my system but every major update after that it got worse until I quit because performance was unbearably low. A few months ago, they pushed an experimental patch with some performance upgrades on the back of some new rendering process, maybe it was Vulkan, and it ran better than it ever did for me.

In any case, I'm downloading it now. Hopefully it still runs well!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Was the rendering and texture loading always this bad on PS4 (Pro)?
The graphics are generally beautiful these days and stunning even, but right now texture loading is so bad that when you literally turn around, the ground sometimes loads completely new from flat blurry ground to nice textures, then you turn to the other side and back and it has to reload again. Can't remember that it was this bad on the X when I played around NEXT there.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
teleported to an old base from the last time I played the game (think right after Next), and the layout valley looks the same, but it's not as loaded with flora. The little base I had there now needed power.

Got the little biofuel genorator up, created a battery, and was trying to figure out wiring, when I accidentally deleted the little base (well, the 1st floor). So I just quit without saving, and will mess with that another day.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Started a new save on PC last night and played for a couple of hours. Besides the occasional FPS drop it ran well enough on my 1070. It's a very cathartic game, I could spend all day just mining carbon :D

Think I might get the VR setup this weekend and give it a whirl.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my game is bugged...game says i need to use wiring to power stuff but its nowhere to be found in the build menu

rip

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
my game is bugged...game says i need to use wiring to power stuff but its nowhere to be found in the build menu

rip
It's under industrial and power I believe. If you don't have the blueprint, it's the free one under the biogenerator or whatever that's called from the construction research deployable thingamabob that you exchange salvage data for.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah, PCVR runs bad. I'm getting forced reprojection at 45fps. Almost all of my other VR games hit a stable 90.

I don't get the discrepancy between VR and 2D...like I know the extra frames put strain on the CPU, but playing on my monitor during next I was getting a solid 60fps on very high settings with a few minor stutters here and there. VR version I struggle to stay above 45 on planets on the lowest settings. And the highest settings don't do much worse than low, which makes me think something is fundamentally screwy with the VR version.

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
Was the rendering and texture loading always this bad on PS4 (Pro)?
The graphics are generally beautiful these days and stunning even, but right now texture loading is so bad that when you literally turn around, the ground sometimes loads completely new from flat blurry ground to nice textures, then you turn to the other side and back and it has to reload again. Can't remember that it was this bad on the X when I played around NEXT there.
Can't speak for how it was before. But I am also getting really bad pop in textures.

What difficulty do people play on? I am on survival at the moment, but I think it's getting in the way of me actually enjoying the game.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
So how does mounting tamed creatures work? On PS4 I was able to get the prompt for creatures for mounting after giving them the right bait but all I'm seeing on the PC version in VR is for milking. Is the bait different between mounting and milking? On PS4 I was given both options. Wonder if this is bugged on PC or possibly for the VR branch.

In positive news I was able to bump my volumetric and terrain tesselation to ultra without noticing any significant performance hit. For those on PC having trouble with perf I recommend trying the aforementioned workaround of disabling vsync at the system level (nvidia control panel or what have you), set the in game res to lowest (640x480, this has a negligible visual effect on things it still maintains headset resolution), turn off vsync in game settings, disable hbao, use fxaa, AF set to 8, and use borderless not fullscreen. Lastly set the frame rate in NMS settings to your headset's refresh. You should be able to run everything at least enhanced preset, but ymmv ofc depending on your hardware. I have a creaky 970 and its running fine but still some judder here and there but certainly playable. Hopefully that helps some folks until we get a proper perf fix over a patch.

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Everything was going fine.

Encountered the Space Anomaly for the first time.

As I was leaving it, my ship disappeared and I was just floating in space. lol

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's under industrial and power I believe. If you don't have the blueprint, it's the free one under the biogenerator or whatever that's called from the construction research deployable thingamabob that you exchange salvage data for.
ok found it thanks ! but its such a shame because now a base is gonna be so ugly because of all the wires

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well version 2.04 seems to have allowed me to enter and remain on the nexus without crashing while online. At least for now, longest period I've been there with others present.

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
Have a question - is there a way to properly play with a friend? I mean, not just join eachother's sessions, but actually building our bases and advancing the quests/missions together. Last night it seemed that when he joined my session all progress goes to me. Not sure what will happen if next time I join him, will my base be accessible from his save?

We are on PS4, both with active ps+ subs.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Have a question - is there a way to properly play with a friend? I mean, not just join eachother's sessions, but actually building our bases and advancing the quests/missions together. Last night it seemed that when he joined my session all progress goes to me. Not sure what will happen if next time I join him, will my base be accessible from his save?

I can't say for sure as I've not played much online but from my experience you don't advance the story quests when playing together, that is to say only the host progresses story quests. There are specific MP quests you acccess via the anomaly via the Nexus, which you can do together.

To make your base accessible when you're offline or not in the same session, you need to upload it via the base computer.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wtf, didn't this game use to autosave whenever you arrived at a new location? I just lost a TON of progress after the patch was installed and the game restarted.

SimonAbou

Dec 5, 2017

I tried starting a new save with a friend and whenever someone died, the multiplayer kinda broke. We would need to exit to menu and rejoin to get it back to normal. The quest progression is surprisingly shared - for example if we both have a quest to build a floor, one person builds the floor and both get the quest completed.
However it did not last long. After a few more shared objectives my friend's progression is kinda broken - I completed an objective to a quest he had not taken yet (one of the early base building introduction quests) and after that his mission log broke (not ever reaching the quest I was on and not showing an objective to get there), halting his progression and possibly rendering his save useless. I would wait until progression bugs like these get sorted out.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
Played VR for a bit last night with the Index and the UI and the way you interact works great. Two main issues for me was it kept popping up complaining about play space as soon as I took 1-2 steps and was well within my SteamVR boundaries so I'm not sure if this is meant to be played in a static spot? Then secondary the performance is realllllllllllly bad when the procedural rendering kicks in when flying around the planet. It is fine on foot and in space but that middle ground when flying on a planet feels like it drops to 20-30 frames and feels real rough in VR.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wtf, didn't this game use to autosave whenever you arrived at a new location? I just lost a TON of progress after the patch was installed and the game restarted.

It autosaves after you leave your ship, and manually when you click on a "Save post" you come across by points of interest on planets, or by crafting and using a "save point" which you can then pick up and use again.

SimonAbou

Dec 5, 2017
Has anyone here continued their old save with the new update? If so how has the transition been? There are some new concepts in the base building and I don't know how old progression would be remapped to fit those new concepts.

Oct 26, 2017
Played VR for a bit last night with the Index and the UI and the way you interact works great. Two main issues for me was it kept popping up complaining about play space as soon as I took 1-2 steps and was well within my SteamVR boundaries so I'm not sure if this is meant to be played in a static spot? Then secondary the performance is realllllllllllly bad when the procedural rendering kicks in when flying around the planet. It is fine on foot and in space but that middle ground when flying on a planet feels like it drops to 20-30 frames and feels real rough in VR.

I don't see how the game can be expected to use roomscale since the environments are pretty much endless. Any other game with huge environments use virtual movement.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
So, yesterday I played another half hour with the Beyond update.
It didn't change my opinion. But I figured out what I dislike: inventory and resource management. I can only deal with them on very exceptional games.

So I started a new game on Creative Mode and I'm loving No Man's Sky!

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
So, yesterday I played another half hour with the Beyond update.
It didn't change my opinion. But I figured out what I dislike: inventory and resource management. I can only deal with them on very exceptional games.

So I started a new game on Creative Mode and I'm loving No Man's Sky!
I think I am going to do the same. I can not do anything without constantly having to look for sodium and oxygen.

Eighthours

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I started again (of course) - pretty sure that's the fourth time now! And every time there are new tutorial bits and it feels different. When I broke off to go to work, I was learning about powering my base.

The game looks like ass in VR on PS4 of course (I really want a Pro patch), but the sense of scale is quite something and I really like what Hello Games have done with the control touches. Your inventory is basically Minority Report, lifting up the cockpit to exit the ship is lovely, and grabbing your multi-tool from your shoulder feels great. Movement is fine - obviously the lack of analogues on the Moves remains a crime, but here we basically have Skyrim's system of movement and it works fine. I miss the quick jetpack glitch, though - I hope there's a button combo to do that, as it made getting around in the non-VR version so much faster. Going into space for the first time was pretty mind-blowing, and I go back to the scale... there were a couple of really big hills / mountains on my opening planet that I had to traverse to get to my ship, and they looked HUGE.

It's certainly a more sedate experience in VR because of the way the controls work, but I can see myself finally sinking a massive load of hours into this game.

Last edited:

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I feel like the game runs much better now on PS4 in general but the pop-in and texture loading is worse, especially noticable on grass patches that spawn after you run around in them for a while.
But i noticed that this happens in the VR mode and flat mode, so maybe some of the fundamental changes they made for the VR mode also affect the overall game?
It´ll be interesting to see how the game improves form here form a technical standpoint, and if there will be future Pro optimization for the flat and especially the VR mode.

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i dont understand how this new base powering works man

it takes millions of carbon to make a base run and it can't even power my base for some reason

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
How do I pin recipes on PC? Trying to place the bioreactor and it says I can pin it but can't find the keybind.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Took a look at the Anomaly but it ended up being really unstable for me (T-posing, crashing, falling through the world) so I'll steer clear of that for the time being. Main base is a bit broken, some of my stuff is misplaced and needs reconstructing, also need to build a whole power system to get it working again. I might just use this as impetus to leave Euclid. I've been hesitant because of my base but if it's going to be a hassle to get it functional again then a fresh start in a new place might be nice.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
i dont understand how this new base powering works man

it takes millions of carbon to make a base run and it can't even power my base for some reason
Yeah I only spent a short while with the game to see if my save worked, and I was stumped about the power situation.
Maybe my base was too big to power with the 1 generator? I dumped carbon into it, it then drained the carbon over a minute without powering anything...

Oh well I'll start over again and figure it out when I get to that point. Again.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So the only thing I missed whenever I've started again was my library of alien words.

I've just installed a translator module I got from the social space, found it seems to "boost" when placed next to similar modules such as the one you now get during the Artemis questline and its auto-translating when I talk with others. I'd initially assumed it would randomly "learn" new words while you talked but it just translates "x" amounts of words while you're talking (depending on how many modules) its pretty neat.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I feel like the game runs much better now on PS4 in general but the pop-in and texture loading is worse, especially noticable on grass patches that spawn after you run around in them for a while.
But i noticed that this happens in the VR mode and flat mode, so maybe some of the fundamental changes they made for the VR mode also affect the overall game?
It´ll be interesting to see how the game improves form here form a technical standpoint, and if there will be future Pro optimization for the flat and especially the VR mode.

Almost nobody here wrote about the Xbox One X version. Anyone here playing and having the same bad pop-ins and texture loading?
Would be interesting to see if it's really because of the VR mode.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Has this broken controller support on Steam for anyone else?

Almost nobody here wrote about the Xbox One X version. Anyone here playing and having the same bad pop-ins and texture loading?

Pop-in and texture loading are pretty bad on the X. Hard to say if it's worse than pre-patch though. Performance is improved however, both in 4K and performance mode, still can't get a smooth 60fps however.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to a few different star systems and types of planets the difference in visual clarity between them on PSVR is stark, some look like a blurry mess and others look pretty damn good. Could definitely do with a res bump as it's one of the worst on the platform in that regard but that's what you get with dated hardware, surprised they got the game to run on PSVR at all especially with so few hiccups.

The ship controls really need some sense of tactile feedback and refinement.

I definitely know from playing it in VR that this wouldn't be my kind of game without a headset but it's quite enjoyable to just relax and explore with one. It would benefit so much from something like Sunless Seas storylets.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I dove in again (X1X). I like the UI changes and a lot of QoL tweaks. Planets looks better, no bugs encountered. I have, however, not found any of the new "multiplayer" things/hubs/bases.

I guess I will be playing again for another 20 hours or so. I only wish that I didn't have to repair my freighters manually, that is a timesink (unless you can?).

Will try this on my Oculus next week or so. Not a fan of VR for freeroaming games TBH.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing on PC not in VR and the pop in is a lot worse than before this update. It's the sacrifice needed to get the game running better no doubt.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, Wiring Looms cost 61k units? I need 5 of these for some of the upgrades I have
There is no other way to get these stuff?

Oct 27, 2017
Played about 90 minutes of the PSVR version last night....wow I was not expecting it to be so fun, the interfaces are simple but work really well, even with the shitty move controllers.

I still think my assumption that when you want to get stuff done you want to play the regular version holds true but I'm excited to get some cool stuff built/discovered and then load it up in VR.