• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If I carry on progressing through the game, does the need to constantly find sodium and oxygen to refuel my suit slow down? It seems my toxic protection is shocking!
Yes, you can upgrade them and later on (especially with new carry limits) you should be more than fine topping them both up when they're low.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
Spend about 5 hours in PSVR yesterday night and this morning.

Graphics are bad but somehow I got to love the extreme lo-fi esthetic. Reminds me of this old space eploration game Noctis, but you are actually there...
Flying through the clouds and it becomes a mess of pixels and fog and pixels and garish colors but so cool.

Move controls are great and smartly implemented but DS4 makes for a more relaxed experience. I will be changing between both.

My issues with the game are still the lack of variety in planets and the confusing and needlessly convulated resource management systems, but VR makes it the whole game soo much better

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is this worth playing now? I played it at launch and I liked it for the first 10 hours then got truly bored by its repetitiveness and dropped it never touched it since.

How big is this update and would it be fun now with lots of stuff to do? Is the shooting better too? How is coop?
I mean who could tell for sure if you'd like it or not :D The core premise of the game remains the same as it was, explore, survive, gather, build etc. What each update has done has added more context to that. A strong main storyline, additions such as bases and vehicles which offer short and mid term goals and freighters, portals, exotic ships and fleets for long term goals. Since NEXT and expanded with BEYOND there's a greater focus on playing together and MP missions. Shooting and dogfighting has improved, but its still very similar to vanilla at its core.

If I carry on progressing through the game, does the need to constantly find sodium and oxygen to refuel my suit slow down? It seems my toxic protection is shocking!

You can get upgrade modules for life support and hazard protection which help slow the descent and even in the case of life support stall it completely (while in sunlight).

Yeah, but how do I get drop pod data?

Anyway, thanks for the other tip, didn't know!

You can sometimes buy them from NPC in settlements, or you can find it from "Ancient Data structures" you'll randomly find on certain planets. When you use your scanner they will be a yellow diamond with a single line in it (I think).

Now that the game's stopped crashing for me (so far), I can see myself playing this game a lot more than the few hours I gave it at launch and with each major update. The improved performance and dramatically increased inventory limit has added a lot.

Also how do you get the launch recharger? I NEED it.

You can buy the module in the Anomaly from one of the NPC's for around 600 nanits for it and its precursor.

hUjbj9d.png

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Hm, slightly curious about it. I avoided this game due to the bad reception at release, but it looks really improved - and I'm very interested in the VR aspect. Still undecided because the main gameplay loop looked very boring back then, and this feels like it's still a "wide as a ocean, deep as a puddle"- situation.

Is it possible to play this game seated with a normal controller in VR (PC)? Just for the experience this might be worth it.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
this feels like it's still a "wide as a ocean, deep as a puddle"- situation.
This hasn't been the case for ages now. there is a full storyline, the resource management, crafting and upgrade loop is pretty deep now. You can build huge bases, farm materials and now animals. Yes, it's still very wide but some threads run very deep.

Have a read through the main release info for each of the big releases they've done and you'll see.

The comparisons made to Minecraft are pretty close, as they are both big sandboxes with tools to do a lot of stuff. And, as service games they have both been supported well.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I think a good month should solve most issues and they will be well on their way to a nice experience. It always takes a bit. Good to see experimental builds on Steam taking care of issues. I don't think I'm going to jump back in quite yet.

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how the game can be expected to use roomscale since the environments are pretty much endless. Any other game with huge environments use virtual movement.

Totally agree, I don't mind teleporting as in any other VR game just felt odd every time I took a step or two to reorient myself and well within my play space laid out you get a large notification telling you to reset your position as you are out of bounds.

Could just be a setting I need to adjust it was just a bit jarring! Most other VR games let you move around the 3x3m square and then telport to other locations where this felt more like a 50cmx50cm square I could move around without the notification popping up.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Is 2.04 out on PC as well? Was really looking to play this last night, but unfortunately I get crash to desktop after either loading a save game or trying to create a new game :(

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cheers. Although it looks way out of my league right now.

It shouldn't take too long, Helios on the Anomaly will give you a chunk of nanites, and if you get a few hunt or scan missions that reward nanites that should net you some more. Of course by then, there could be something else you fancy buying :)

Until then, I'm sticking to only landing when absolutely necessary and buying the first step to reduce the usage since thats only 120.

Is there a better way to reach a green galaxy without slogging through the Artemis storyline?

You mean Green system, i.e. Green Star?
You can buy the different hyper-drives in the Anomaly to reach the other star types.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
This hasn't been the case for ages now. there is a full storyline, the resource management, crafting and upgrade loop is pretty deep now. You can build huge bases, farm materials and now animals. Yes, it's still very wide but some threads run very deep.

Have a read through the main release info for each of the big releases they've done and you'll see.
Still unsure about that. Sure, it may have more stuff to do and hasn't the barebones state of the release version anymore, but lots of features isn't necessarily what would fix the issues that I perceived No mans sky has.
But I never actually played it and haven't seen much of the current state, so it's just a quess. I just look for some Lets Play to get a feel how it is (:

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
This was a fascinating planet - 90% ocean with these islands dotted all over the place.

20190814194916_1.jpg

singo

Nov 5, 2017
I think I got a pre-order spaceship when I bought the game. If I start a new save, can I use that again?

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone please tell me where the settings are for the dual shock? I thought it would be like Skyrim (Normal FPS controls in VR) but it's actually really awkward with the DS.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
Newbie question - how early and how much should I be spending with Nanites for module stuff? I'm about 7 hours in, still with the stater multi-tool because the handful I've had the option to purchase have been way out of my league (millions of units), and a couple of exosuit slot upgrades. After getting up to about 1300 nanites I spent a few hundred on a B-Class movement upgrade for my exosuit only to find out after buying it it's only -12% fuel efficiency and +1% initial boos power lol (and I couldn't see these two stats before as far as I could tell?).

As far as I can tell you can't remove modules on at least the multi-tool, but my starter one is full anyway with the boltcaster and advanced mining laser, but I don't have a good feel yet for nanite spending so not sure how hard I should be going in or not at this point?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I thought it was a Green Star but no, the green galaxy.

Ah that was my other thought but I thought I'd skirt around it in case it counts as spoilers :)

Just by
Getting to the centre
would be my guess. Though I don't know if you can still use the portals to
get close to the galactic centre and make the last few hops yourself.
I've never tried.

I think I got a pre-order spaceship when I bought the game. If I start a new save, can I use that again?

yep every new save the pre-order stuff is there to use again.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Played an hour on my Rift now.
Very interesting in VR, although the controls need a lot of getting used to.
Flying the ship is....hmmmmm
I also couldn't figure out how to use the Analyse Scanner.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
2070 and a Rift S here. Played sitting.

1. I use the twin sticks to move and look. No problem. It even doesn't give me a rollercoaster feeling when I right stick look like other games.
2. Performance (glitches and jank aside) is flawless on my PC with everything set at enhanced.
3. Are you sure? I spent most of my three hours in the game last night with my arms resting on the arms of my chair
4. I don't even think I can aim with my face. Everything uses my controllers to aim and it works really well.

I was watching Tangent on Twitch play a bit last night and he seemed to be using his Vive controllers to aim rather than his head too and. Dunno how he was moving though. Maybe there are some differences with the implementation on different headsets.

The only thing I have a real issue with is the flight controls feel like I'm trying to fly with a wii remote. It's not good. Let me use the sticks pls Hello Games.

*Edit* Ah. For number 1 I see you're after roomscale movement. Yeah. Doesn't seem to have that. I don't have the space but for those who do that would be a shame. Maybe they'll add it later.

For #3 I'm talking about resting your hands like you normally would while standing. I don't play VR while seated, I have a 2.5x2.5m space dedicated to it. Other games don't make me hold my arms out to move, you can just rest them downwards and use the sticks while slightly angling with your wrists.

Why so aggressive?

1. They have smooth walking like any other VR game, by holding a button and tilting the controller where you want to go.
2. Dunno, they're working on a patch apparently.
3. You don't, it works like any other game.
4. You aim your tool with your right hand obviously, but since you're in VR it's not tied to your viewpoint, so you can mine something while you're looking away. You use your viewpoint to target distant objects (and then press a button to set your compass there) or to target touch objects like farmable plants. When you have those lined up, you then hold a button and "pull" the thing to interact.

I think viewpoint aiming makes sense for distant objects, but there should be a crosshairs to make it more accurate. For farming, it could go either way but I'm getting used to it. It makes sense that you need to look at things you interact with.

1. Yeah, but other VR games also let you walk by physically walking. It's unnatural to be yelled at every time I take a step or two to get a closer look at something.
4. That still seems unnatural to me. IRL anything I would aim at I would use my hands, not my face.

denian

Oct 25, 2017
Patch 2.05 live on PC

Bug fixes
  • Fix for crashes occurring in the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed a number of issues causing some players to experience low framerate after visiting the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed a rendering related crash.
  • Fixed an out of memory crash.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a crash when manipulating inventory in close proximity to a high number of players.
  • Fixed a crash affecting VR with supersampling enabled.
  • Fixed a situation where network connectivity issues could prevent players from speaking to NPCs aboard the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed an issue where storage containers could not be accessed.
  • Fixed a crash affecting unsupported VR hardware

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I don't have the greatest GPU in my PC (GTX 950) but since the update to Beyond, everything actually looks worse and this is after I've set my settings to mid-to-low which is what they were previously set at. Even when I lower everything, and turn off certain video/graphic settings, the game just looks so much worse than it previously did.

Did anyone else experience anything similar? I didn't have any trouble playing on Steam last night but god everything looks worse, so much more screen tearing and the way certain assets and background images pop-in, this didn't happen prior to this update. I hope things get patched soon and that this improves.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've put in over 40 hours in NMS over the last few years. I'm really enjoying the update but have a question.

I'm finding the head tracking and movement controls to feel a little weird on PSVR. Like my head is free to look around which is cool, but my legs are like a robot with treads (like Johnny 5!). I tried both Move and DualShock controllers, checked/changed the settings, and read a few threads on other folks experiences. It feels unnatural that I cannot look up and down as I walk around. I'm new to VR. Are my expectations that it should feel different making sense or does it feel awkward to anyone else?
Hmm, that seems odd. What do you mean when you say you can't look up and down as you walk around? Looking at footage of the game on PSVR, it seems like others are able to do this. But yes, movement in VR will feel different compared to regular games, as they usually have to use some workarounds to prevent motion sickness, so I can understand why it might feel awkward at first.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Patch 2.05 live on PC

Bug fixes
  • Fix for crashes occurring in the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed a number of issues causing some players to experience low framerate after visiting the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed a rendering related crash.
  • Fixed an out of memory crash.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a crash when manipulating inventory in close proximity to a high number of players.
  • Fixed a crash affecting VR with supersampling enabled.
  • Fixed a situation where network connectivity issues could prevent players from speaking to NPCs aboard the Space Anomaly.
  • Fixed an issue where storage containers could not be accessed.
  • Fixed a crash affecting unsupported VR hardware

Perfect. Most of those were the exact issues I was having, especially in the Space Anomaly. Looking forward to playing more when I get home.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Newbie question - how early and how much should I be spending with Nanites for module stuff? I'm about 7 hours in, still with the stater multi-tool because the handful I've had the option to purchase have been way out of my league (millions of units), and a couple of exosuit slot upgrades. After getting up to about 1300 nanites I spent a few hundred on a B-Class movement upgrade for my exosuit only to find out after buying it it's only -12% fuel efficiency and +1% initial boos power lol (and I couldn't see these two stats before as far as I could tell?).

As far as I can tell you can't remove modules on at least the multi-tool, but my starter one is full anyway with the boltcaster and advanced mining laser, but I don't have a good feel yet for nanite spending so not sure how hard I should be going in or not at this point?

OK so Nanites will buy you upgrade modules via the vendors in the space stations, and new technology for your gear, via the NPCs in the Anomaly. The first are single use items with somewhat random stats which you place and then cannot remove or dismantle back into nanites. The second are blueprints which can be installed for resource costs and uninstalling them will refund some of these resources.

I'd suggest, certainly in the case of your ship and multitool to ignore the upgrade modules in the early game. Nanites are far more valuable to unlock the reusable blueprints and even though they seem far away now, you will find new multitools and ships reasonably soon as you explore, and those upgrades won't carry over. Also the real improvements come from the A and S class upgrade modules which cost 400 nanites upwards.

I'd consider building up a sizeable stack while unlocking blueprints and keep an eye out for any kind of multiool upgrade. If you find a reasonable class multitool which has some space to fit in 3 scanner upgrade modules (class S) you'll find that you start gaining so many credits from scanning that it will pay for itself.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been getting 120fps on PC with a 1080gtx with High settings. Might experiment with Ultra settings next time I play to see how that holds up.

REALLY impressed with the new opening segments. The tutorial feels a lot more focused and easy to read as you fix your starter ship back up. Everything looks way more intelligently organized in the menu systems as well. The UI, maps & menu systems have this clean & smart look to them.

Having great fun revisiting so far.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Only just realised on PSVR we have no right hand LUL, Unless it's a bug.

Didn't stop me bounty hunting in space though and wiping them out with my S class exotic ship. This game in VR already is my top game, Last thing i am thinking of is visuals when i am exploring a universe and uncharted planets on foot. Incredible this is, Really impressed considering it's a free update.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

Didn't stop me bounty hunting in space though and wiping them out with my S class exotic ship. This game in VR already is my top game, Last thing i am thinking of is visuals when i am exploring a universe and uncharted planets on foot. Incredible this is, Really impressed considering it's a free update.

I didn't have a left hand. Probably a rendering bug, maybe restart?

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I just did some VR with my Rift S, that's good stuff. Now to get past the tutorial on the weekend woo!

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I made sure I had plenty in the tank before I did. I didn't explore the ocean so there may have been fuel down below but yeah - always make sure you have one launch in the tank before landing anywhere.

I came across the same type of planet except I landed in one of the islands. Went swimming in the ocean for a bit. It's where I've had the most crashes, actually.

Mar 29, 2018
Hm, slightly curious about it. I avoided this game due to the bad reception at release, but it looks really improved - and I'm very interested in the VR aspect. Still undecided because the main gameplay loop looked very boring back then, and this feels like it's still a "wide as a ocean, deep as a puddle"- situation.

Is it possible to play this game seated with a normal controller in VR (PC)? Just for the experience this might be worth it.
It's absolutely worth it, as you describe.

Originally it was as deep as a puddle but they added a decent story and a ton of depth to the gameplay (at least the options you have, if not the actual mechanics).

Deffo bug