• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Experimental patch on PC :

Update to Experimental Branch 15/08
  • Fix for instance rendering crash.
  • Added improved warnings for GPU issues.
  • Added improved warnings for Vulkan driver support.
  • Fix for incorrect fullscreen or max size on 4k/scaled displays.
  • Fix for uninitialised render buffer returned from API.
  • Fix for crash when incorrect number of freighters spawn.
  • Fix for crash when disconnecting from Multiplayer in UI.
  • Fix for crash on controller remapping screen.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Just got to the base building tutorial. Playing in VR. This is the first time I've played a VR game where you move about freely and it's not made me sick after an hour playing. So I'm not sure why that is but it's good news. Especially as teleporting and snap viewing is not fun at all.

The odd tutorial up till this point was a little confusing. Like press triangle to swap to the terrain tool, unbeknownst to me it's only a change in colour light on the gun that changes. So I'm there pressing triangle and nothing seemed to be happening.

Other than that there's a lot to take in and things going on all over the screen which can get a little overwhelming and messy. I just hope I'm picking it up when I'm left to my own devices as it's throwing lots at you.

Graphically PSVR is serviceable, they are blurry in the distance but it's not distracting from the experience which seems rather smooth going. It's just hard to read the text on researched objects in the menu.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping they'd add full blown towns on planets. A smattering of tiny outposts here and there (with some stations mixed in) gets old.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
You know, I was pretty amped for this update. I kinda still am. However I am finding myself not wanting to play very much because of all the housecleaning I have to do first. All my stuff is in storage. Storage needs power. Power needs materials. Everything is full capacity (my suit, my ship, my freighter, so everything is a moving-around slog to get stuff done. I kinda wish I could just go frump around and play ride the beast... maybe I should just forget about my base or whatever. I don't know. Feels like chores.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I kind of hope they release a No Man's Sky Complete edition that has all of the updates thus far patched in.

I bought the original physical release, but I then bought it on sale digitally so I'd always have it installed on my PS4.

It'd be awesome to have all of that content on disc without having to worry about not being able to access it when it becomes a legacy title. Of course, by that point we may just have NMS2, so it wouldn't matter.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
my only issue with the VR is after about 5 minutes my whole view is shifted to the left, on PSVR with Pro. Hitting the reset/recalibrate button doesn't do anything. That only sees to re-calibrate in the Z perspective(forward and backward, but doesnt help reshift everything in front of me(left and right). Makes it extremely hard to do anything, cant grab my multitool, cant fly properly, cant traverse properly. cant easily read the UI and menus. It seems to shift more and more, the more I use the inventory.

Only way to fix it is to turn the headset off, then back on. And then it takes a couple minutes for the game to reload my hands in and get back up to speed. And then rinse a repeat the process every 5 mins. Got to be too unbearable after awhile, so went back to the flat version. do we know if any of the updates have fixed this? dont think its my setup because no other vr game has this issue. Anyone know if this issue was fixed in the recent patches last night?
Think I only saw 1 person mention somethign simliar to this yesterday, but havent seen anyone else really talk about it.

Its also probably the most low res blurry VR game I have played. With not great LOD/pop in. was pretty coolthough, but hoping for a Pro patch soon.

You know, I was pretty amped for this update. I kinda still am. However I am finding myself not wanting to play very much because of all the housecleaning I have to do first. All my stuff is in storage. Storage needs power. Power needs materials. Everything is full capacity (my suit, my ship, my freighter, so everything is a moving-around slog to get stuff done. I kinda wish I could just go frump around and play ride the beast... maybe I should just forget about my base or whatever. I don't know. Feels like chores.

yep had this same issue yesterday, paired with my issue above was a slog to get anythign done. And all my rare stuff for upgrading was in my storage. Also could only get one generator made hooked it up to all my storage, but would only power 1 storage unit. Couldn't bother to spend time and resources making more generators to open up more of my storage. Power for storage just seems needlessly tiresome. Not looking forward to dealing with all that.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
So I finally made it to the Nexus, only I can't speak to anyone. Once I talked to Nada and Polo it glitches out whenever I try to hold down the square button to talk to Helios or anyone else.

This better not be a game breaker. Takes too much fucking effort to start over in this game.

Edit: Aaaaaand it crashed.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
This problem should be solved soon by Steam. Valve has been working on a project called 'Fossilize' for a while now (mainly for Linux users as >90% of games on Linux use Vulkan now) that will distribute Vulkan pipelines between all players and then compile the shader caches before launch. You can run it manually if you want to test it by going to "steam://open/console" and then typing "shader_build <appid> 1" and then waiting until the fossilize processes finish (you should see them using 100% of a CPU core in your process manager).

I haven't tested this on Windows before but it works 100% on Linux Steam and is supposed to work on Windows too, at least when it's complete.
I'm on GOG. I was talking about the game's own shader cache, not the one Steam handles.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Damn. I bought a Rift S just for this but it sounds like I should give it a week or two to get fixed.

I was confident with a 1080 Ti and i7-6700 but seeing people post that performance is abysmal with a 2080 gives me pause.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

Yeah the power system feels really unfun and unnecessary in a game where it's already a slog to get shit done sometimes.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR is cool but they made it so difficult to play with the Dual Shock. Unlike with Skyrim, the controller doesn't take care of all the movement in FPS. For instance, I can't control where I am aiming with the right stick.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017

I loaded into my save and saw all the work I has to do, then just started a new save. It's fun to see what's changed in the missions, plus I can just say that I'm on a new iteration (16 16 16)!!

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any luck alleviating the clutter LOD pop in? Short grass popping in around you after a few seconds? Don't remember it ever being this bad. Might switch over to an SSD installation if people are having luck with that. Is it tied to any existing settings or exacerbated by the tessellation?

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Perhaps creative mode might help alleviate some of the frustration?

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm, this game is absolutely eating my RTX 2070's ass. 100% GPU utilization at standard graphics settings and 3440x1440p resolution

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Second crash in 20 minutes.

Fuck this.

I love the effort they've put into the game but it's way too demanding for there to be so many bugs and crashes.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
my friend made a lore video up to the patch... i didn't know this game had lore

The Lore and the story is pretty good, you do have to work for it though.
The ARG based stuff was great too, but it was muddled up in weeks of arg quests and though its all there on the game detectives wiki, its difficult to parse it down to a quick synopses.

I'll check the video later, thanks for posting.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Flip flopping back and forth between a new file and a 25hr or so file I had before Beyond. On the latter I have all kinds of upgrades to my suit, a S class multi tool, scanner, and ship, along with a freighter. Have about 8 million in credits and around 900 nanites. I was really getting into the game back when I had this file going, so trying to jump back in with everything is a little overwhelming, but I don't know if I feel like going through everything all over again...

But I do have a question. When you throw down a base computer on a different planet from your where your original base is located, can you not make the new one your new "home"? That's where I'm at in the 25 hr file and I'm pretty sure I'm a few systems away from my designated home base. Do I have to travel all the way back there, delete it, and then I'll be able to set up a new "home"?

Anybody?

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Perhaps creative mode might help alleviate some of the frustration?
Perhaps. But I'm disinclined to go that route because I still want to play the standard game. I'm not even mad about all these new things to do. I just wish that the early hours (days) of picking up my game again wasn't such a slog because of the changes.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Use all of the upgrade modules you have in your inventory.

I think this might've done it, but I swear I saw the message pop up again lol.

Not sure what headset you have but you can for sure turn off the guardian borders on Oculus and I'm pretty sure you could on Vive if I remember right. No idea about the Index.

It's not the guardian borders that come up, I've got those off. I mean the game itself has a giant pop up that says you're leaving the gameplay area and to hold the left menu button to re-center your view. Thing is it comes up even if I get anywhere below a slight crouch. It's way too sensitive.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
MrDaravon Found the guide for where to place things optimally. Don't know where I found it originally, probably Reddit, but it does have a credit on the bottom corner so credit where it's due. Mostly common sense but I found it a handy guide last time I was starting from scratch and I was trying not to waste nanites. Could be its a little out of date too so its worth bearing in mind.
It also reminded me that once could double up certain upgrade modules by having 3 in suit general storage and 3 in suit technology, though I've yet to test on BEYOND.

I'll quote it, since its massive.

Awesome, thanks! Saving this for later once I've got stuff and it makes a bit more sense.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
VR is cool but they made it so difficult to play with the Dual Shock. Unlike with Skyrim, the controller doesn't take care of all the movement in FPS. For instance, I can't control where I am aiming with the right stick.
You sure you played Skyrim VR and not the base game? Skyrim had head aim with same horizontal aim as NMS.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

The controller itself controls the aiming, like Astro Bot. It's pretty accurate.

Oct 25, 2017
How do you access the new content?
I haven't played since launch.. so i will start again, do i have to go somewhere or pick some quest?

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
How do you access the new content?
I haven't played since launch.. so i will start again, do i have to go somewhere or pick some quest?

It's not like if they only added an expansion. The Beyond "patch" (as well as a few others before it) completely revamps many aspects of NMS. Just start a new game. You'll notice the differences right away, especially if you didn't play since launch. Beware of the crashes and bugs though. You might want to wait a few days for them to fix things.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Perhaps. But I'm disinclined to go that route because I still want to play the standard game. I'm not even mad about all these new things to do. I just wish that the early hours (days) of picking up my game again wasn't such a slog because of the changes.
I'm the same; sure I'd like it to some extent but never made a save because I like the management/collection side when it's not the few times where it's a complete pain in the ass.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm, this game is absolutely eating my RTX 2070's ass. 100% GPU utilization at standard graphics settings and 3440x1440p resolution

Yes. My 1080 Ti is also crying. I had 80 FPS on a planet at 1440p and High everything.

As soon as I landed on a lush planet I had 20 FPS

I don't know which settings to optimize. I might go for 4K@30FPS which is a shame for the space parts

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I was hoping they'd add full blown towns on planets. A smattering of tiny outposts here and there (with some stations mixed in) gets old.

Would be amazing, but I don't think real towns or cities are realistic for a game of that scope. At best there could be empty, static collections of buildings that are just... "there". I don't know if would want that.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
The base building tutorial needs be ripped out or changed until after get hyperdrive it kills resets or replays not being able jump straight into exploring

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Once I fixed my ship and went in to space good god did VR finally shine. That's some good shit.

I did some dogfighting yesterday, and I absolutely think the potential for a great spacefighter game is all there. Needs a little more accuracy to the gyro aiming with the Moves, but man it really does add an immense amount of fun and thrill compared to how anemic space battles feel in the flat version. Being able to turn my head and see stuff makes target acquisition and tracking 10000% more immersive and natural and actually incentivizes movement in dogfighting, instead of the best use of the ship being what is essentially a stationary turret in flat mode

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
goodbye 91 hour save and millions of dollars and tons of nanites and community rewards. Gonna see if starting over alleviates my disdain for the slog

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I tried elite dangerous a few months back but dropped out after around 10 ours because it is too much Sim for me.
But that alien invasion/war meta game they have going on (I have to admit I don't really follow that too closely) was always fascinating to me. I would really like HG introduce a community wide dynamic meta game like that to NMS. The universe is big enough that every player could choose to get involved with that. Something like an overarching, dynamic alien invasion that develops according to certain community goals could work wonders for me personally to get me more involved with the game and the lore.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know if it helps people, but on my RX 590, the game dies when Vsync is on. Turning it off instantly gives me almost 30 frames.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
No matter what we try, my friends and I can't get this to work. Crashes,not able to join lobby's, nexus not visible for everyone...

Been trying for an hour