• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
How does the Translator work? It says it increases the number of words learned from conversations but I still only learn one.

"Added AutoTranslator technologies to the Exosuit that allow random words to be translated without being permanently unlocked."

My understanding is it's different to permanently learning words. Listen in to NPC conversations or talk to them and you are able to temporarily translate extra words.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really weird bug I just encountered.

I was on the anomaly, about to choose a mission. Suddenly I died and respawned on the nearest space station for no clear reason. I tried flying back to my grave site, but it was located inside a half-spawned anomaly - I could some parts of the inside of the station but not the outside. I then tried flying to the anomaly marker on my hud, which led me to an invisible entrance ramp that just resulted in spinning around in circles. Of course I couldn't regain control of the ship and I had to load my last save. Luckily my grave site didn't disappear and I got my shit back. I'm thinking maybe I should put the game down and wait for increased stability.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
The swtich to Vulkan is making it harder for some mod makers but they are powering through anyway. I'll test as many as I can and update my mod guide in a few weeks.

Nov 2, 2017
Here's the video of the flickering issue I'm experiencing constantly on the PS4 Pro. Anyone else seeing this while playing? Not game breaking but very annoying given how often it occurs.

Yeah, that's been happening to me as well. That along with the extreme pop in is really distracting. At first the system I was in had very rocky planets with extreme weather, so as bad as it was it was kinda sparse anyway; however I entered a system with lush worlds and the grass and shrubbery is glitching and piping in everywhere. Also the ground seems to phase in and out and I almost fell through the world. 😞. Even with all the glitches this is my game of the generation and I'm addicted to playing it. I'm going to start a creative save just so I don't worry about this new potential currency glitch... I just want to keep playing despite the issues. And I had held off playing the game for months waiting for this Beyond update as I didn't know if I should have started over or not. Once it was confirmed there was no universe reboot I started playing on my file.

... maybe they should have regenerated everything.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So, uh, I handed in gravitino balls to the skinless dude in the nexus and he gave me 8 nanites. Not only that I could only turn in 1 gravitino ball at a time, meaning I was getting 8 each time.

It was hard not to laugh...

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Got so much done today.

- Finally finished the Artemis path and got to Eissentam (yeah that bug I ran into earlier wasn't a bug, just me being dumb/the game not explaining a quest all that well)
- Finally tracked down an S-Class Experimental multi-tool

Okay that's basically it, but it took me hours to do those two things, lol. Feels good to finally be able to use portals, and Eissentam is really nice (and it's good to know that Beyond added the ability to travel between galaxies as long as you have a base somewhere in each, so I don't have to worry about leaving Euclid behind forever).

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Why don't they get rid of identifying markers if you've already looted the area? I can't tell you how many times i inspect a knowledge stone or copper field only to scan later and have my scanner pick up an already looted area, which of course you won't remember if it's been looted until you make your way 650u to find out. Poor design.

Had to get that off my chest. That said, still lovin the best VR experience of the year!

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Why don't they get rid of identifying markers if you've already looted the area? I can't tell you how many times i inspect a knowledge stone or copper field only to scan later and have my scanner pick up an already looted area, which of course you won't remember if it's been looted until you make your way 650u to find out. Poor design.

Had to get that off my chest. That said, still lovin the best VR experience of the year!

Submit it to HG as a suggestion: https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=194549

zorbsie

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped back into this game after a long pause. Forgot how much I loved just exploring planets and taking pics. Having an issue with my storage, not sure if anyone else has seen this. I got power to them but some won't except the charge. Even though they are wired up it says not enough power. I get this even if the storage unit is the only thing attached to the power source. If I delete the storage unit do I lose the inventory that was in it?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Have you played Outer Wilds yet?

It's my current GOTY by a landslide :)

Definitely a big reason for my wanting NMS to implement it. Some of the zero g moments in that game are truly awe inspiring
such as falling through the black hole in Brittle Hollow and coming out the other side

On that note if there was any game I want to play in VR rn that doesn't already have support it's certainly OW. Fingers crossed it gets support for it at some point.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
maybe exploring derelict ships and freighters just floating around in the void, and maybe throw in some horror stuff. Basically let me explore an Event Horizon type situation :)

Always wanted this. Pretty easy way to add some more content to the game, new mission types, etc. Derelict ship/freighter/space station, go in and find out what happened, deal with sentinel-guard-robot-defense system things, or weird aliens, or maybe both. Could throw in some mini-quests to restore power, gravity and life support systems to the thing. Find tech, get loot, receive a distress call from the planet below.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Jumped back into this game after a long pause. Forgot how much I loved just exploring planets and taking pics. Having an issue with my storage, not sure if anyone else has seen this. I got power to them but some won't except the charge. Even though they are wired up it says not enough power. I get this even if the storage unit is the only thing attached to the power source. If I delete the storage unit do I lose the inventory that was in it?
I don't think you do. Save your game beforehand just to be safe, but I'm pretty sure it's some sort of hammerspace storage that persists even after you delete the actual storage block.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019

They're all odd-numbered, right? You need to delete and rebuild them. Don't worry about losing anything, the vaults are global, not local, so once you rebuild and power them, the stuff will be in there.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Okay so for now my game is done for. I am stuck in the nexus. My loops is now get in ship, leave nexus, land on any planet, exit ship, crash. There is no other thing i can do. Every time I exit the ship it crashes to the PS4 menu.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I am one of the few people who really loved NMS at launch, I put 100 hours into it on the PS4. stopped playing before any of the content updates.

Replaying now in VR with all the additions it really is a completely different game and man it's probably the best VR game I have played,

zorbsie

Oct 25, 2017
They're all odd-numbered, right? You need to delete and rebuild them. Don't worry about losing anything, the vaults are global, not local, so once you rebuild and power them, the stuff will be in there.
Just checked, they were all odd numbered. Deleted and rebuilt one. All the stuff was there. Thanks for the help.

Nov 2, 2017
Love,
I think it'd be cool if they implemented a basic gravity well around planets so once you enter it with your ship you can turn off thrusters and just lazily orbit around it taking in the view. I feel like 90 % of my time so far is just gawking at things as is, I love to just set thrusters at a lower speed while on the surface and watch the terrain go by it's so relaxing. Feels like I'm roleplaying the flyover part of 2001's Jupiter sequence, particularly on the crazier color scheme planets.

HastyCraftyConey-size_restricted.gif

Also it'd be cool if at some point we could go outside our craft while in zero-g/space for repairs or maybe exploring derelict ships and freighters just floating around in the void, and maybe throw in some horror stuff. Basically let me explore an Event Horizon type situation :)

Always wanted this. Pretty easy way to add some more content to the game, new mission types, etc. Derelict ship/freighter/space station, go in and find out what happened, deal with sentinel-guard-robot-defense system things, or weird aliens, or maybe both. Could throw in some mini-quests to restore power, gravity and life support systems to the thing. Find tech, get loot, receive a distress call from the planet below.

Love these ideas! It would add so much gameplay opportunities. Ohhhh man if they added these things it would make an amazing game even more incredible. Seriously, should post your ideas as suggestions through their website!

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Is there a guide for somebody who played a couple hours at launch then never touched again until now? A whole lot going on haha

Edit: I might have to set up the Vive to give this a shot too. I imagine has to be room scale? Will it work Via GOG? Figured I'd need steam for SteamVR.

Last edited:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Is there a guide for somebody who played a couple hours at launch then never touched again until now? A whole lot going on haha

Edit: I might have to set up the Vive to give this a shot too. I imagine has to be room scale? Will it work Via GOG? Figured I'd need steam for SteamVR.
Not room scale at all. Doesn't even support it and assumes you're stuck to one spot.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
For some reason this is the only game my Rift touch thumbsticks have issues with the dead zones, which was causing me to slide past pickups and whatnot. I was able to make changes to a configuration file and fix it, and whew, that alleviated a lot of the annoyance I had with playing in VR. There are still a lot of issues with the VR version of this game but if they're able to tighten things up significantly this could easily be one of the best VR games to date.

Most notable changes I think VR version needs to make:

-Performance. This should be at the tippy top of priorities. If the game doesn't feel smooth it immediately takes you out of the experience. Sprinting, jetpacking, and flying my ship on the surface of a planet all cause bad framerate drops. It's smooth enough elsewhere but not even that is ideal. I know it has some correlation with the hardware I'm using which certainly isn't the best (6700k, 980Ti), but it's one of the worst performing VR games I've played. I'm hopeful this one can be fixed because PSVR sounds like it runs better, and my rig is significantly more powerful than even the Pro.

-Starship Flight controls. Flying in a VR cockpit is an indescribable thing. It's one of the most convincing examples of "presence" I've experienced in VR. No Man's Sky does it very well, but the controls are inaccurate and jarring. Trying to make your wrists emulate a HOTAS is a cool idea and it works for basic purposes, but it's extremely hard in battle and even aiming on points of interest sometimes. There's no force feedback and therefore no frame of reference for your hands, so it's near impossible to hone in on a target. Just make it the thumbsticks on the Touch controllers with triggers/grab letting you roll. Yaw also needs to be added.

-Remappable controls. I've rarely felt the need for remapping in a VR game, but this game needs it. At least make sprint L3 not R3 (what where they thinking!?)

-UI needs to follow you when you turn. It's also pretty invasive when it works properly; it's too tightly packed in. I feel like they could have done a much better job making it feel like a Hologram UI projected from your helmet rather than just a game menu appearing a few feet in front of you.

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I finally got a moment to put a couple of decent hours into this update.
And by that I mean I just suddenly lost a couple of hours of my weekend really quickly. Time really flies when you're exploring.

- I really greatly appreciate the huge decrease of sentinel presence. I spawned on a "high sentinel activity" planet and even then I barely saw one until I was building the tutorial base, and it wasn't super aggressive.
- I really greatly dislike the new power system. I managed to power a portal with a few nearby trees (carbon) for a good minute. I mean literally 1 minute. I know they need to make the solar panels or whatever appealing, but that's comical and pretty much not worth putting any effort into. It's actually discouraging for early wannabe base builders.
Are you picking up where you left off or restarting?
The tutorial and opening missions do an OK - if still a little overwhelming - job at introducing you to the big changes, so I'd recommend starting a new game if you haven't already.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else's galaxy map get broken in Euclid when you travel back there from Eissentam? In Eissentam, the map is fine, but if I go back to Euclid, it thinks I'm over a million light years from where I actually am, and trying to press R3 to go to my location does nothing, and pressing it enough times causes the game to soft lock.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Played it in PSVR for a few hours, which was surprisingly stable, well-adapted for VR, and didn't give me any hints of nausea during that time. The only issue I had is getting used to the controls and it took forever to figure out how the analysis visor worked since I don't think any of the materials in the guide or control mappings mention that you need to put the move up to your head and press the left Move button. The flight controls can be a little finicky with how sensitive the flight stick can be.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if if it is the same in Flat screen but in VR it seems the ladders are only able to be used once per so many minutes. ONce I use them I cannot look at any spot and get the option to use them again. But I did on one platform eventually get it to work (after I had logged out and quit and came back the next day).

I will say I am with others that if Hello Games were bigger there are some stuff they did in VR I'd find absolutely amatuerish (but they are a small team so because of that it's more understandable but I still hope they fix the issues). I hate how it doesn't support roomscale but even if it doesn't, the hud doesn't follow your head, if you reset the view it turns you around rather than putting the forward view set to where you are looking. On top of that you can only turn in 15 degrees using the controller (vive controller) which is very awkward to play the game with that limitation (I can't go straight to where I want to go, it's either to the left or right unless I want the HUD to be off center which is really off putting and completely pulls me out of immersion). They need to offer a smooth movement option (I realize it makes some people sick but even Bethesda did that in Fallout 4 and Skryim).

But they did some stuff really right too. For one the fact they have a dedicated button command to re center view. if it was implemented right that's an idea i"d love to see in other games. But more impressive and something a lot of VR games get so wrong is the scale is right. I actually feel like I am right sized for the world. For example in Fallout it feels like everything is 3/4 scale to me. And the NPCs look totally wrong... they're too small and if I make them tall enough they look like they were enlarged, not like they are the right size. But a lot of games aren't good at this. Arizona Sunshine was better but the cars for example still felt a little smaller than they should in comparison to how big I felt in the game. And that's a game made for VR. The only other game where it was really noticeable how right sized I felt was a demo that I think the game got abandoned (planetrism). Any other game I can think of that feels right sized were ones where you aer always inside operating a vehicle (Elite Dangerous, American Truck Simulator).
To get trackpad locomotion and turning, it's pretty simple with SteamVR's built-in controller editor: https://www.reddit.com/r/vive_vr/comments/crlvpd/updated_no_mans_sky_vr_trackpad_locomotion_guide/

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Just tried the PSVR version
Unfortunately it's a bit too low res for me and I'm not liking the teleportation mechanic
But the sense of scale of some the plants and animals is quite a sight
I wish we could move around in the galaxy view mode
I just wish it was higher I am seeing the future of gaming in this
I'll go back to playing it on my TV
Was really hyped for this :(

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Just tried the PSVR version
Unfortunately it's a bit too low res for me and I'm not liking the teleportation mechanic
But the sense of scale of some the plants and animals is quite a sight
I wish we could move around in the galaxy view mode
I just wish it was higher I am seeing the future of gaming in this
I'll go back to playing it on my TV
Was really hyped for this :(
First rule of VR games, look at the options. There is smooth movement

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lovin this. Aside from what I'm hoping is a bug (find out next time I boot up) but walking around there is a constant loud noise every few steps like I was being attacked and yet there was nothing. So it's either a bug or the worst sound design I've ever fucking heard. It certainly wasn't there before the update either.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lovin this. Aside from what I'm hoping is a bug (find out next time I boot up) but walking around there is a constant loud noise every few steps like I was being attacked and yet there was nothing. So it's either a bug or the worst sound design I've ever fucking heard. It certainly wasn't there before the update either.

Next time you hear it look around for one of them poisonous balloon flora things.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for buying a new multi tool? Have 5.7 million units and still using my original multi tool.

What class and how many slots should I be looking for?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing yesterday and I really enjoy this. Recently found a planet I named Space Hawaii because it looks like Hawaii, then built a cabana by the water. Very pretty game.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I'm sorry for bringing this up since I know it's probably been answered somewhere in this thread but how's the performance? I have a PS4 Pro and before the Beyond update, it was pretty rough. Did the VR optimizations cause the framerate to become a bit more stable?

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I guess not. It really is impossible; it's a cool idea but it doesn't work well at all. They really need to give us standard gamepad-like alternative controls.

I'm still waiting on PCVR optimization to keep playing VR anyway. The PSVR version runs better than the PC version for most people, which tells me there's definitely something wrong with implementation.

This is interesting. The PCVR runs pretty much smooth and flawless for me. I'm on a Rift S and a 1080 Ti/6700. Nothing too special. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, however.

What are you using? Moves? You can use the DualShock only for flying. Have it somewhere near and if you press one button it will become active. Then when you finish press the trigger of one of the moves and the scheme changes again.
It is not ideal but it may help
🤷‍♂️

Nah. Rift S and Touch controllers. I'll definitely try this with my Xbox controller though and see if its similar implementation. The way the flight controls are right now is a really neat idea but I can't for the life of me keep up with even basic pirates.

Extremely helpful. Thanks for the effort.

vix

Nov 18, 2017

I feel like that was there in past versions of the game and that this is a bug or am I misremembering?

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like that was there in past versions of the game and that this is a bug or am I misremembering?

Yeah, they fixed this in previous versions. I like the new custom marker you can put that shoots down a light flair, unfortunately you can only put one at a time and can't remove that either. So now we have multiple ways to mark things but can't remove them all.

That said, between tagging, custom markers, and building the beacons there are lots of navigation options. Depending on how long you would want to highlight a location.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could someone help me? I'm stuck on a frozen planet and I just started a new game and I need either Tritium or Pyrite to fuel my pulse engine.

vix

Nov 18, 2017
Sigh....

Just lost two hours of underwater story progress due to a crash. I figured getting out of the underwater craft did a save like the ship. Man, and traveling with that thing is so slow. 5 minutes between each point of the story feels like a slog and definitely more than five minutes. Crashes are happening less but crikey, this games needs a better saving system.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Found an A class with 24 slots for 3.5 million. Guess that's the one?
That's honestly the best you're likely to find organically, it was hundreds of hours before I found a decent multi-tool. That said if you're not adverse to a little cheesing you can look online for portal codes that will take you to a system that sells S-class omni-tools.

Could someone help me? I'm stuck on a frozen planet and I just started a new game and I need either Tritium or Pyrite to fuel my pulse engine.
Can you get off the planet? You can find tritium in the asteroid belts that litter space.