• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying this in PSVR a lot, but I'd say Astrobot and Superhot are the killer apps for vr. This does makeup a bit in terms of content though. I also hope they get a pro patchz

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
Started over when Beyond launched and can say I'm happy with the decision. Just going through the tutorial step by step and not stressing over getting every item at this point. If my inventory gets full, I just sell or drop extra items. Time to collect that stuff later...it's not possible at the beginning with the slot restrictions.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how even something as mundane as building a 1x1 building feels absolutely epic to step in to the first time in VR.

Even blurry AF, this game is amazing on PSVR.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all is psvr worth the $200 for this? I don't even know if the VR will work for my eyes, but fuck I've been wanting to try.

I haven't done any VR and the 3DS 3d effect was mild at best.

It's rough, down right hideous in spots, and that's without even getting into the bugs and glitches of the core game, but it also takes my fucking breath away like nothing I've played before. The sense of immersion, scale, insignificance, there are some major compromises but for me the highs are well worth it. And like others have said there's a 100% chance it will only get better going forward. Not the best VR implementation, but this my favorite by experience by far. Tough to go back to the flat version.

For someone new to VR this might not be the best game to develop your "VR legs"(I'd recommend Astro Bot or Moss, even Tetris Effect), but there are a decent amount of options/comfort settings. And even if you don't enjoy NMS, PSVR's current & upcoming library more than justifies the $200. No brainier IMO.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else getting constant cursor drift to the lower right when in menus? I though it was my XB1 controller at first but it did the same thing when I played the game at work today...

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else getting constant cursor drift to the lower right when in menus? I though it was my XB1 controller at first but it did the same thing when I played the game at work today...

I have been getting consistent cursor drift to the up-right with my XBOne controller since Beyond launched.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Y'all is psvr worth the $200 for this? I don't even know if the VR will work for my eyes, but fuck I've been wanting to try.

I haven't done any VR and the 3DS 3d effect was mild at best.
No. Not even close. The game can be distractingly ugly at times and the flight controls suck ass. Also it would be an extra hundred dollars for the move controllers which are pretty much required.

There are much much much better VR games out there though.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
How far have you progressed as a Day 1 player? Because I was a day 1 player and I started a new game when Next came out last year, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. (...)
Now if you're hellbent on continuing on your original save, I do think you can unlock those recipes at manufacturing facilities. Some things are attached to the blueprint analyzer, but that shouldn't include any resources as outlined in that diagram.

Thank you for the input. I have actually progressed very, very far as a day one player, mostly thanks to my presence and involvement with the old and new Galactic Hub. I have one of each type of ships at least at Rank A (and a beauty of an S exotic from Abyss), a decent B rank freighter with a lot of A and S rank fleet and an excellent S rank crystal Multitool (named Cornelia). Aside from a Foundation (1.1) era hauler I keep as a showpiece memento, I tend to upgrade everything whenever available.

There is a lot of history with this save game, both game-wise and IRL, and I simply feel good in continuing it. I feel like I am "at home" with it. But this update also gave me just the kick I needed to get "out of a rut" with a lot of things. With the electricity kinda wrecking everything, I finally feel comfortable leaving my good old Perkele Living Glass factory (that was made 2 years ago in Atlas Rises and moved to the new hub) and investigate the game's new and old trade/craft systems a lot deeper than I felt the need to previously.

With how much money I invested in my fleet, I feel like I am currently in the ideal position of not being very rich (only 40mil), already owning a lot that helps with QoL while also having a bunch to obtain and strive for. In other words, an ideal position to "soft-reboot" or "new game+" my playthrough with a big new ingame project.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
S Class max slot Multi-tool and Starship. Both story quests complete and feeling good.

BirdofPrey.png

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
No. Not even close. The game can be distractingly ugly at times and the flight controls suck ass. Also it would be an extra hundred dollars for the move controllers which are pretty much required.

Completely disagree, except for the part about flight controls, they do indeed suck ass with the Moves. Perfectly fine with the Dual Shock though.

Speaking of which, the Moves are NOT required by any stretch, because three of the greatest VR games ever, Astro Bot, RE7 and Wipeout, don't even use them at all. Of course if you fall deep in the VR rabbit hole you're gonna wanna get them eventually as there are great experiences you will be locked out of without them.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
OK, so I went on a risky trek to meet this dude selling the ver2 psvr with Doom. $125 asking and it felt too good to be true. Met outside an apartment but he walked up from an alley. Totally a tweaker and the box was duct taped together. I was soooo close to bouncing, but decided to check it out and rolled the dice after seeing all the pieces were there and it was clean. The whole drive home I was feeling in my gut I just got hoodwinked with a stolen device.

Got home and fixed dinner, still feeling not great inside. I tried charging my move controllers - a free gift from a friend that moved out of country, but had to figure out why they weren't charging from an outlet.

After dinner I set up the VR and tried to calibrate things. Holy shit the device is working!

Popped right into NMS and what the fuck. Like, that's all I kept saying. What the fuck! In the cockpit I just kept looking out the glass and around the fuselage to see the fucking wings and turbines. I turned smooth look and movement on, but definitely get some dizziness if I'm moving too much. Flying was wild - very Navigator-esque for those old enough to remember that movie.

I'm taking a break after about an hour, but holy shit I need to get back in once both move controllers are charged. I do wish my character's body was present in VR though.

I'm literally in tears y'all. Transcendental. I don't even care that my vision is actively decaying looking at these rotting pixels of blurriness - I have never felt transported like this. And this is like entry-level shit!

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
OK, so I went on a risky trek to meet this dude selling the ver2 psvr with Doom. $125 asking and it felt too good to be true. Met outside an apartment but he walked up from an alley. Totally a tweaker and the box was duct taped together. I was soooo close to bouncing, but decided to check it out and rolled the dice after seeing all the pieces were there and it was clean. The whole drive home I was feeling in my gut I just got hoodwinked with a stolen device.

Got home and fixed dinner, still feeling not great inside. I tried charging my move controllers - a free gift from a friend that moved out of country, but had to figure out why they weren't charging from an outlet.

After dinner I set up the VR and tried to calibrate things. Holy shit the device is working!

Popped right into NMS and what the fuck. Like, that's all I kept saying. What the fuck! In the cockpit I just kept looking out the glass and around the fuselage to see the fucking wings and turbines. I turned smooth look and movement on, but definitely get some dizziness if I'm moving too much. Flying was wild - very Navigator-esque for those old enough to remember that movie.

I'm taking a break after about an hour, but holy shit I need to get back in once both move controllers are charged. I do wish my character's body was present in VR though.

I'm literally in tears y'all. Transcendental. I don't even care that my vision is actively decaying looking at these rotting pixels of blurriness - I have never felt transported like this. And this is like entry-level shit!
This was really great to read. Glad it all worked out for ya. That anxiety of worrying about it up until that point must have been pretty intense, I know it would have been for me.

Oct 26, 2017

No Man's Sky would make for a pretty wild first impression of VR. Nice to hear that it worked out for you.

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it seems I'm stuck on the 'Explore the planet and expand you base' mission.

I already built a base and a Base Teleport Module. Is there something else I need to do for the mission to complete? Am I screwed?

Edit: I guess I need to complete the subquest of actually powering up the teleporter?

Last edited:

RAWcolour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm almost ready to jump on this game, but could anyone clear one thing for me.

The exploration part of the game is super appealing to me, but crafting and survival is a big no-no for me. Can I play this game just flying around exploring different planets or do I need to constantly craft fuel and be worried about other resources to do so? Just looking for a chill game.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I'm almost ready to jump on this game, but could anyone clear one thing for me.

The exploration part of the game is super appealing to me, but crafting and survival is a big no-no for me. Can I play this game just flying around exploring different planets or do I need to constantly craft fuel and be worried about other resources to do so? Just looking for a chill game.

Well, two things:
1. In normal/survival/permadeath modes, the game IS very much a crafting/gathering game. However, this update dramatically increased slot space in your inventory (basic resources used to max out at 250 per slot, now they max out at 10k). So, in theory, you could take 20-30 minutes to gather up your essential resources and you won't really have to worry about it for the next many hours.
2. HOWEVER, while I personally find it lacking (you aren't as omnipotent as you are in Minecraft), the game has a Creative mode which pretty much eliminates all resources, allowing you to just build, fly around and take in the sights with pretty much no cost. Again, I don't find it very rewarding outside of testing stuff, but you might!

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sorry, what I need is actually circuit boards. For which I need heat capacitors, for which I don't have the blueprint.

I think I actually need to be following a different quest line right now. It's weird how that works in this game.
The scientist path should eventually unlock all you need with which to make circuit boards. All the base quests tie together really, Overseer needs circuits boards which the scientist "unlocks" they also need gravatino balls which you can get in the wild or via the Agriculturist.
It's also weird how the game doesn't help me find a farmer for my base. For all previous ones I've just had markers to go to, but now it just says they can be found on space stations.
Yeah I noticed that as well, markers for all but the farmer, in case you're unaware the farmer is Gek so head to a Gek station and speak to everyone, you'll unlock a ton of words and eventually come across the farmer :)
Connected to my earlier post, I found this useful crafting tree for unknown items:

1280px-Product_Crafting_Tree.png

Problem is, I am missing a LOT of high end recipes as a day 1 player. Do I learn these at a manufacturing facility?
Yeah if you hack a Manufacturing facility you'll get a token and now can unlock what you want, though it is an unlock tree so you can't unlock the top tier unless you've done their prerequesite. Regardless its much better than random.
Why would you restar?
Why wouldn't you restart? :) NMS generally adds new content in the early game anyway so its fun to go through stuff as it unlocks. The early game "slog" becomes easier every time as your experience grows, and though its the same every reset feels "different". I almost treat the early game as a "speed run" now, seeing what I can achieve as effectively as possible. With experience units aren't so hard to come by and ships can be traded until you have one worth owning. Plus...
resetting is in keeping with the theme of the game
TBH though I can fully see why people wouldn't want to reset, and the game doesn't force you to which is good. Its a lot of investment to "throw away". However personally I massively enjoy starting again every time and would recommend it every time. In the same way I've never felt compelled to actually come close to the centre in, I dunno 1000 hours, for me its the journey not the destination I like here.
S Class max slot Multi-tool and Starship. Both story quests complete and feeling good.

BirdofPrey.png

I love that design, last run through I had similar, the HMS Dirk Gently, as it has a "Scottish dagger feel" :D

Great stuff Unicorn!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Next time don't meet in a risky place like that lmao

swnny

Oct 27, 2017
Well, fuck me, I double dipped on this one... Got the PS4 version last week for VR and it is amazing, I can't get enough (was long ago when I was up to 3am playing games, now its a whole week in a row). And just yesterday saw it on Steam for 50% off and I was fuck it, gonna grab me some more NMS for that 1440p 165fps feel and I just did it... Now how am I supposed to play two versions of the same massively gigantic game.
Figures I will go PS4 for VR exclusive and PC for the "flat" version when I dont have the time and energy for fully immersing me into the universe. But also I have setuped TrinusVR for PSVR on PC and that's very tempting with NMS (but dualshock 4 support in VR mode in the game is kinda broken as of now).... ahh kinda hate late night impulse decisions.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
while exploring my new shallow sea base planet, I discovered it also has a vast underwater cave system just beneath the surface. Time to craft some underwater base stuff I think. It looks great.

6uCyFBN.png

dNg6Iek.png

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Decided to jump back in, it has indeed improved a lot since launch, my approach to playing the game was probably wrong at the time too.

It's more enjoyable as a side-game, like a sports game or online shooter that you boot up to play around in without worrying about distant objectives.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Finally managed to finish the last armourer quest; been sitting on that for like a year.

That's a pain in the arse now. When I completed it after NEXT you could duck in and out of a building to break aggro. Now that resets the kill count and it makes no sense. It's not like it was some critical exploit they needed to fix. Even if you stay outside if you break aggro for too long the sentinels completely despawn and you have to cruising the planet looking for more.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ah. I have not read it, I'm ashamed to say.

Liking the idea of a Scottish space monarchy though.

If I've said it once, we need many more Scottish Space monarch games. The selection we have these days is shocking :)

That's a pain in the arse now. When I completed it after NEXT you could duck in and out of a building to break aggro. Now that resets the kill count and it makes no sense. It's not like it was some critical exploit they needed to fix. Even if you stay outside if you break aggro for too long the sentinels completely despawn and you have to cruising the planet looking for more.

Yeah that mission is a massive pain. I've not bothered finishing that on this run though. It will stay there until I've geared up sufficiently, and even then only if I can be arsed.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

This isn't true in the slightest. I don't own Move controllers and NMS is totally fine with the DS4, with the exception of exocraft controls which will hopefully be fixed.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Finally had time to try out the update.

Playing it on my Rift with touch controllers. After 4 hours, I am absolutely floored. One of the best VR games to date. My god is this good.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Are Hello Games paying for all these patches?

It's been almost one-a-day (except the weekend) since the 2.0 update was released.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just hopped into a freighter battle and it was one of the massive Star Destroyer sized Capital ships. By chance I'd just been in and out of the station so figured I'd try scumming it for a chance of an S class, 5 attempts (and 5 C class ships later) Behold! An S class variant!

I feel a little dirty for scumming so, but I thought, if I can't play the systems a little after so much invested time, when can I? :)

Was thinking of naming her something appropriately Scottish like "SSM Stone of Scone" given the Scottish monarchy's resurrection :D That and she sits in the air exactly the same way a stone doesnt. Hamrub

0VP6Jdd.png

Top of the list for things I didn't expect to hear today...Scottish Space monarchs LOL.

Jings! and/or Crivvens! :D

Are Hello Games paying for all these patches?

It's been almost one-a-day (except the weekend) since the 2.0 update was released.

Of course, I can't think of many developers who pass of patch costs to the customer or another third party :)
This is very much par for the course for HG, and part of the reason why I tend to be patient after a drop, they put a lot of work into patches post update going back to launch, to quash as much as possible as quickly as possible.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Trying to get my old key bindings back is a nightmare. Using the old file didn't work properly so now they are reset. So many new controls. Secondary Fire won't work at all. Mouse Wheel and Middle Mouse Button can't be assigned to anything.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Glad you enjoyed it. When it clicks, VR is a next-level experience and it sounds like you had one.

There's incredible potential for the medium.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I wish they would fix an issue I found with the refiner a long time ago.

If you add materials in that you want to refine, it shows a number on the right that corresponds with how much you will get of the new material. There are left and right arrows there to let you change how much you want it to make. Clicking the left button has never done anything for me. I can only use the right button after adding more source materials.

Example: I want to be able to put ALL of my copper into the input side on the left, and then before even starting up the refiner go over to the right side and lower the total number of chromatic metal it's going to make. It won't let me do that.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I wish they would fix an issue I found with the refiner a long time ago.

If you add materials in that you want to refine, it shows a number on the right that corresponds with how much you will get of the new material. There are left and right arrows there to let you change how much you want it to make. Clicking the left button has never done anything for me. I can only use the right button after adding more source materials.

Example: I want to be able to put ALL of my copper into the input side on the left, and then before even starting up the refiner go over to the right side and lower the total number of chromatic metal it's going to make. It won't let me do that.

Yes, this has been annoying me also. It's worse when I need a particular number of something then accidentally go 1 over so I have a spare in my inventory.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
If I find an A class multitool with full slots, is there a chance it can be S class on a reload, or will it always be A?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it. When it clicks, VR is a next-level experience and it sounds like you had one.

There's incredible potential for the medium.
Like, I just keep turning around to look behind me. This is 1:1 with what Mario 64 felt like when you could enter first person and just look around, or when you see the lakitu in a mirror as the camera man and the realization of this now existent camera entity.

I dug a hole last night and the depth hit me. Hard.

I am terrified once I enter water or a cave.

Any tips on tweaking the Move controllers? Flight controls are wonky and my explorer ship I just bought I can't reach the escape hatch unless I lean a certain way - wild in its own right, really.

I am still adjusting to a lot of things, but I'm so enamored that this was my first VR experience. Maybe this is a psvr issue, but I feel like the focal range is really off. I lean in really close to see details on npcs or to make out smaller font - is that common? I did the eye distance adjustment on the ps4, but still feeling a bit bleary-eyed.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Like, I just keep turning around to look behind me. This is 1:1 with what Mario 64 felt like when you could enter first person and just look around, or when you see the lakitu in a mirror as the camera man and the realization of this now existent camera entity.

I dug a hole last night and the depth hit me. Hard.

I am terrified once I enter water or a cave.

Any tips on tweaking the Move controllers? Flight controls are wonky and my explorer ship I just bought I can't reach the escape hatch unless I lean a certain way - wild in its own right, really.

I am still adjusting to a lot of things, but I'm so enamored that this was my first VR experience. Maybe this is a psvr issue, but I feel like the focal range is really off. I lean in really close to see details on npcs or to make out smaller font - is that common? I did the eye distance adjustment on the ps4, but still feeling a bit bleary-eyed.

If you leave a DS4 within reach, you can just pick it up and use for flight controls when you're in a ship. Set it down and use the moves when you're done flying.

Hopefully a future patch will include an adjustment slider for how sensitive the virtual hotas is when you're in a ship.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
So I ran into a bug I've seen before, where for whatever reason my multitool is firing from my feet, making combat difficult onfoot.

Of course, suddenly I am on a quest involving killing 8 sentinels right outside my base, which annoyingly RESETS THE COUNT every time you go in a ship, exocraft, or enter a building.

That means the 4 regular sentinels, the 2 armored ones, the two doggos, and the giant bipedal mech all went down but my kill count was only 1/8. So, I quit.

Any advice? Or can I get some backup? lol

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Best part of this patch for me is being able to jump between flat screen and vr. Whenever I go back to vr though it jumps out at me how superior the experience is haha, but flat screen is nice when I just want to jump on real quick or when I am really tired.