• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The controls get better when you realize it's all in the wrist. If you've played ultrawings- stop playing nms like it's ultrawings. Small adjustments moving your wrist will move your ship around just fine. Also, turn off inverted flight if you have it on- the default controls are already inverted.
I switch to DS4, and works just fine. There is enough time first entering the ship, and during the landing sequence, to swap controllers on your lap. I just couldn't get a handle of using the moves for flight.

Ok thanks for the replies even though they're different they're informative and I'm open to both options. I will try to use more risk because I am admittedly playing like its an UltraWings type of throttle honestly because that's what it looks like, but I'll give it a go with that in mind as well as checking inverted controls.

If it just never clicks, then it's good to know swapping back and forth between Moves and DS is viable.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanks again for the assist Lamptramp !

Made a new friend following the aftermath of that big sentinel party.

EUz3QPH.jpg

No worries, it was definitely less annoying with 2, even if it was a little hit and miss with last hits on sentinels.
Some of the best sci-fi imho. Stephen Donaldson's The Gap. Another ship from the books is Trumpet, which my S38-12 fighter is named.

Nice one, I shall make an effort to find it.
Anyone? Definitely have power to the building.

I saw a video earlier about some new base tips, (just to get some idea regarding a new base) and they had auto doors running with a proximity switch and in inverter. I've no idea why I haven't bothered touching bases in Beyond yet, but it could be that.

[fake edit] Here it is, its like 90 second in.

---------------------

Also I really should have gone to bed like 3 hours ago but I just couldn't stop myself playing. Stuck perfect planet hunting, when I should really just relax and let the planets come to me :D

LgJQmpe.jpg

And taking pictures

trumpet909

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone? Definitely have power to the building.

It seems right now they only open when there is no power, so you have to build a switch on a wall, run the power cable through it, then connect it to the door and use the switch to open/close it. But that's a pain so basically just stick with Holo doors for now.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Is there an intuitive way to build a base on an ascending slope without burrowing into it? Trying to feng shui it so that the rooms of the base follow the hill but the build algorithm always just drives it into terrain.

Oct 27, 2017
So I found a crashes ship and I was like cool. Well I fixed the thrusters and pulse drive and made it my primary ship. I didn't realize what I was doing at the time. I was just excited to find another ship( it was my first.) Well it's got a lot of broken stuff on it and it's flyable but it's going to take me awhile to nurse it back to health. Did I lose my other ship? I can't seem to access it or find it.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
1) is the Cargo section of the Exosuit presently busted? I have 1 slot there and anything I try to take from the regular Suit slots won't plop in and I get a little black Exosuit icon over the tile I'm trying to move.

I think you might need to first buy cargo slots at the exosuit dealer or repairing abandoned drop ships.

So I found a crashes ship and I was like cool. Well I fixed the thrusters and pulse drive and made it my primary ship. I didn't realize what I was doing at the time. I was just excited to find another ship( it was my first.) Well it's got a lot of broken stuff on it and it's flyable but it's going to take me awhile to nurse it back to health. Did I lose my other ship? I can't seem to access it or find it.

You should be able to summon your original ship by pressing down on the D-pad, finding "Summon", then choose "Summon other ship".

I don't know if this has changed in recent patches, but damaged ships are worth the same trade-in as normal ships. You can opt to repair the ship you found if that is your goal, however it is usually cheaper and faster to trade-in that ship for a working one at a station or trading post.

Argus

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Only my X1 Elite pad. It only happens in this game, and only on certain menu items.
This started happening to me in this update too, also with a Xbox one elite. Checking in the control settings in windows, my controller has a one pixel SLIGHT drift to the upper right, where brushing the controller that way lightly with my finger will make the cursor start tracking that way. I imagine it has always done this, but they have NO dead zone set for the controller, so the slight imperfection is being recorded.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
How do you name things in VR? I'm on the vive and every time I try it brings up the name screen but no on screen keyboard (and even the computer keyboard does not work). And I can't even get out of the screen without going's to desktop and back and then it just either sends the data with the original name or if it is something like my home base it just never gets named.

I reported it as a bug but it seems no one but me has this issue so maybe I just am doing something wrong? Also how do you access the camera on the vive controllers.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I visited the Nexus for the first time and got introduced to many new alien species... all of which didn't load proper textures, so I have no idea what they're really supposed to look like. Even Nada and Polo looked weirdly smooth with low detail.

I guess it's not supposed to do that huh.
I love the new upgrade tree system though!

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Im trying to do the early guild mission where you take pictures but beyond saying "press down on D pad" nothing happens. I took a couple of screenshots-through pressing down then hitting the PS share button- but again nothing. Am I doing this wrong?
Try pressing and holding the share button until the little sidebar comes up, then press triangle to take screenshot.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Im trying to do the early guild mission where you take pictures but beyond saying "press down on D pad" nothing happens. I took a couple of screenshots-through pressing down then hitting the PS share button- but again nothing. Am I doing this wrong?
Might be the wrong type of planet.
Wow. I have this general design, S tier as well, but I want that colour scheme. Do you have coordinates/a portal address handy?
got the glyphs from this video

then he updated it after beyond cause some of the cabinets changed

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
How do you name things in VR? I'm on the vive and every time I try it brings up the name screen but no on screen keyboard (and even the computer keyboard does not work). And I can't even get out of the screen without going's to desktop and back and then it just either sends the data with the original name or if it is something like my home base it just never gets named.

I reported it as a bug but it seems no one but me has this issue so maybe I just am doing something wrong? Also how do you access the camera on the vive controllers.

I have the same issue as well, using a Valve Index. As a workaround, I'll switch to the non-VR version every few planets so I can name what I want and then switch back. I've reported it as a bug as well. Hopefully this gets fixed. As far as the camera goes, I'm not 100% certain about this, but from what I can tell, there's no photo mode in VR. You can use Steam's built in screenshot tool to take some weird looking VR screenshots though. After the recent update where they made their first attempt at controller binding fixes, I noticed on the Steam VR interface's library page for NMS that it was highlighting the home button and the trigger and saying this was the screenshot combo. I tried it and it worked. Previously, those buttons were highlighted, but the message said something about an in game chord and it made no sense and I wasn't able to take screenshots. I should point out that when you take a screenshot in this way, Steam saves 2 versions of the file. One is a squarish aspect ratio image that's basically the view from the two eyes rendered as a single flat image. The other is actually an image that has the left and right eye renders displayed side by side. When you view your screenshot library through Steam in normal mode, you'll be shown the first, flat image. When you view your screenshot library through the VR interface, you'll be shown the second image, but it will be rendered per eye and will actually have depth, as if you were in game and had paused the action.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Dear lord. I tried Wipeout tonight in VR and it was surreal how crystal clear it was.

Returning to NMS made me immediately feel motion sick.... But here I am 3 hours later, contemplating just buying dramamime So I can just explore space in peace. Also, reading glasses are totally going to be needed within the next couple days. Woof.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
This started happening to me in this update too, also with a Xbox one elite. Checking in the control settings in windows, my controller has a one pixel SLIGHT drift to the upper right, where brushing the controller that way lightly with my finger will make the cursor start tracking that way. I imagine it has always done this, but they have NO dead zone set for the controller, so the slight imperfection is being recorded.

For me, the drift always happens downwards to the bottom of the screen.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell do I find cactus flesh? The game just says to find a system that has it on the galaxy map, but the galaxy map doesn't show what resources each system has. So I just gotta randomly warp to systems until I find one that has it?

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Depends, did you swap ships or add the new ship to your collection? If you did the former, then the old ship is lost. If you added it to your collection and then made it your primary ship, you can recall the old with the spawn ship function in the popup menu.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
How the hell do I find cactus flesh? The game just says to find a system that has it on the galaxy map, but the galaxy map doesn't show what resources each system has. So I just gotta randomly warp to systems until I find one that has it?
Cactus flesh is on hot planets and they are quite common, so you won't need to search for long. Warp to a system, scan the planets, rinse and repeat.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Installed my 2070 Super last night, so may need to get the Vive connected and try this bad boy in VR!

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
People always finding unique ways to use new mechanics in games. I'm never smart enough to even think about something like this let alone design it.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
So I hit a point in the story where I need to reach a black hole, but I can't seem to find one. I went to the Space Anomoly and talked to the dude who gives you coordinates for a black hole, but it doesn't appear on my star map. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong or the game is bugged. Any suggestions?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I don't seem to be able to go underwater in VR with the DS4, does anyone know what I'm missing? I just bob along the surface.

Edit: Figured it out! Hold down on the right stick.

Deleted member 9306

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey guys. I'm thinking of picking up this game today, but I'm not sure how much better it is from launch...

Do you think that it's worth the price (33$ CDN) now? I'm just looking for a relaxing building/exploration game.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hate that the tech upgrades/installs take inventory space. I have no room for anything, my entire bottom row is upgrades or whatever.

Hey guys. I'm thinking of picking up this game today, but I'm not sure how much better it is from launch...

Do you think that it's worth the price (33$ CDN) now? I'm just looking for a relaxing building/exploration game.
Yes, as someone who never had any interest in this game, I am having a blast.

EasyMode

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
So I hit a point in the story where I need to reach a black hole, but I can't seem to find one. I went to the Space Anomoly and talked to the dude who gives you coordinates for a black hole, but it doesn't appear on my star map. I'm assuming I'm doing something wrong or the game is bugged. Any suggestions?
Try pressing left/right on the dpad while on the galaxy map until the selected destination is "black hole".

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Superoxide Crystal, how? I need it to build the plasma launcher, but the game won't tell me how to make it, and it's not sold anywhere.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY
Superoxide Crystal, how? I need it to build the plasma launcher, but the game won't tell me how to make it, and it's not sold anywhere.

They can be found in the wild. There are these mineral deposits called floating crystals that contain several of these highly compressed mineral types, like superoxide crystals, carbon crystals, etc. Look for those yellow markers with either 1, 2, or 3 straight lines in them (I forget which ones mark the crystals, either 2 or 3 I think). When you hover over them with the analysis visor, it should read as "floating crystals." They're not super common, but they're not so rare that I don't come across them at least once per solar system.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
PS4: VR -- Is turning in missions.....supposed to be this strange? I'll turn in a mission and then the mission giver and I just stare at each other for what feels like 45 seconds while they shrug over and over. Then it goes back to the mission screen. I assume I'm missing some text box somewhere but I've looked all around (literally) and can't see anything. It also never shows me if I got new standing or items or anything. What gives?

Feb 10, 2018
PS4: VR -- Is turning in missions.....supposed to be this strange? I'll turn in a mission and then the mission giver and I just stare at each other for what feels like 45 seconds while they shrug over and over. Then it goes back to the mission screen. I assume I'm missing some text box somewhere but I've looked all around (literally) and can't see anything. It also never shows me if I got new standing or items or anything. What gives?

It does the exact same thing to me. I think the long pause is because of the gaming saving the fact that the mission is done
It's really annoying thought