• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Are there any good guides out there about what materials are worth hanging onto?

Early game is a struggle because my inventory fills up so quickly, and Im not always sure what mats are worth saving...

It seems to depend on who you ask. Some say to keep your inventory completely empty but that means making tons of trips for the smallest tasks, so it's not an option for me. Some say to only keep the things that recharge your gear, but that still doesn't seem like enough to me.

I keep all the things needed to recharge my suit and multitool stuff, a portable refiner, a portable nav beacon, whatever materials are needed to make launch fuel, and lots and lots of copper. The rest of my slots are usually just whatever I come across that I worry I won't be able to find much of later. IE: "oh wow I found these red crystals that I don't have a blueprint for yet, better hold onto them".

That and abumen pearls. :P

EDIT: Also, make sure to have a LOT of the absolute necessities on hand for launching your ship as well as staying alive, in case you get stuck on one of those barren planets that doesn't have any of those materials, and you end up stranded. Almost happened to me, and someone in this thread earlier got stuck too.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I just started building my base on a cool giant cylindrical mountain I found on a planet full of them. I've put my landing pad on top and I'm spiraling down inside it with rooms and storage etc. I'm planning a garage at the bottom with all my exocraft, thats the next step :D Spent about 3 hours building this base up so far and made zero tech or story progress. No regrets :D Loving this game

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Does anyone have a list of all the different Sentinel statuses? As in, what is shows when you scan a planet with your visor?

I saw a few today that said "Requires Obedience" but didn't understand, and unfortunately never ran into any sentinels to find out.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this new? The Xbox controller doesn't do it on pc I just hold E on the keyboard. Or in steam you can remap to the official Xbox controller config .

I got a bad bug hoping someone can help. I got my first frigate and built a control room then your supposed to go in that room to do some stuff it tells you. But I can't get in the room there's a barrier I can't get in at all... can I bypass that tutorial or delete the room ? Sell the ship ? Anything ? How do you use frigates from menus ? maybe I'll try to skip the tutorial if someone could give me a quick how-to....

Yeah Im using an Xbox controller, but didnt even think to use the keyboard. Im gonna do that!

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone else not able to change the amount of something you want to refine?

I don't get why the prices in the galactic market never seem to change when I jump between systems. One of the wiki's mentions the prices are tied to where your fleet is spawned, but that can't be right...

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Is anyone else not able to change the amount of something you want to refine?

I don't get why the prices in the galactic market never seem to change when I jump between systems. One of the wiki's mentions the prices are tied to where your fleet is spawned, but that can't be right...

We have all been having problems with the refiner. Hopefully it's addressed soon.

As for the prices I noticed that too, but I guess the easy answer would be that it's a universal trade network so the prices are "universal", but still. I think it would also be good if you could more easily purchase materials from systems that have it. IE: I have a hard time mining Uranium so I would rather just buy it, but it's not listed unless I'm in a system with no Uranium-yielding planets.

Also: the Wiki's are sorta out of date right now, as most of the info is based off of Next it seems. that's a drawback to a game that changes and evolves I guess.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
How do I untag a location? And is there any way to search for a copper deposit if my scanner doesn't pick anything up?

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Started a new save on X1X tonight, haven't played since vanilla and HOLY SHIT I am lost LOL...which is not a bad thing.

Learning it all over again and slowly getting my feet under me, really liking where it's at right now...they added so much and this is the game I wanted.

Can't wait to see what they add next!

Now for an embarrassing noob question...what is the easiest way to get antimatter and make a warp cell? I know there's a story mission tied to it but I can't find it anywhere.

I want out of my starting toxic (almost everywhere) solar system...

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Unfortunately you'll need to follow the main quest(s) for a few hours and it gives you the blueprint for antimatter, housing, and a warp cell. It may require building a base computer etc first though.

I, too, started on a toxic planet but I'm waiting to get done with a bunch of the base building quests before moving to a better planet.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way when I join a friend's game that I can set my friend's planet to be my home planet for my save so I can continue playing there next time I load my game?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You can tag something else to move the tag, and then immediately tag the same spot and it removes the tag.

I'm not sure, I always just fly to a new random spot and look around with my visor. :/
Yeah that's what I do. It's absolutely baffling that you can't use the scanner while flying.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Are there any good guides out there about what materials are worth hanging onto?

Early game is a struggle because my inventory fills up so quickly, and Im not always sure what mats are worth saving...
Later on I feel like you start getting an idea what you want .... for example almost every planet has carbon, ferrite dust , those are trash . 0xygen is pretty common but I've been stuck before so I hang onto it . You know what I did very early which I feel gave me a big boost? I traded across from my C class starship to another C class with 21 slots and more importantly an S class launch engine with recharger. I didn't even clue in at the time but it only cost me 300k .... and with that recharger I actually just fly around everywhere landing so I'll hop from base to base or say a dinosaur bone planet from digsite to digsite .... I can land 10-15 times without depleting so it let's me look around .

Id say keep chromatic metal around that's from refined copper and make a base on a nice uranium , radon , copper planet .
Check what's for sale at the stations you don't need that on ship .
Edit - oh yeah keep sodium around to recharge shields .... I've never lost a dogfight

Quasaromega

Oct 29, 2017
Been playing for decent stretches since PSVR mode came out, completely new player. I enjoy it quite a bit! I really like the progression systems, and hitting cool planets during exploration is really satisfying. Although I wish it wasn't so blurry, I get that's just the OG PS4, and that PCVR probably gets to enjoy much better IQ.

Yet this is one the biggest games ever, and it's in VR! I cannot explain the joy I had when I took off, and went to space, the first time. Looking physically behind me and seeing the planet below was quite an experience. I feel like some things, like mining, or constructing the minutia of a base, might be somewhat mundane without VR, but it's enhanced a lot using moves. I've even gotten to the point where I use them for everything, space flight included. For the anyone trying using the moves for flight, try turning the sensitivity down to 10 or so, and in particular, recenter the view with yourself leaned a bit forward, then lean back, feels a lot more natural with starship controls a bit further in front of you.

I really, desperately hope that they fix some of the more common glitches that hinder moment to moment gameplay, like falling through the ground, various glitchy sounds playing when warping anywhere, page switches when trying to drop parts of stack places, and other various bugs. Similarly, I want this to eventually come to PS5 with VR graphic updates.

But those concerns are fairly minor to the fun I've been having with it. Glad I waited until now to try it, as I don't know if I'd be this satisfied without VR or the content updates.

Last edited:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Is there any way to escape from pirates? I'm nowhere near able to take on more than one easy pirate and it seems to like to throw several of them at me. in VR it makes it harder there is no real quick way to recharge your shield either.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How does one locate manufacturing facilities in Beyond? Using the portable signal booster? I remember you could choose what type of building to find by putting navigation data into one before but this no longer seems to be the case.

Sorry Sugarless, been busy all weekend, I don't know if anyone answered you but like you say there's no specific way to find those exact buildings, but if you signal boost like you say or use planetary maps converted from nav data you should find a few. I sometimes find a planet which for one reason or another either has lots or lots that are easy to see from the air. When I find such a place I make sure to farm it as much as possible.

At the end of the day unless you go to a "dead" or other weird planet most places will always have what you need.
Having said that, Oxygen and Sodium for survival is always worth keeping a stack, Dihydrogen and Ferrite dust, keep a stack of each for making launch fuel. (I would also consider unlocking the launch fuel mods ASAP too). And a stack of Carbon for recharging your mining tool and warp cells.... Also a stack of copper/chromatic metal also for warp cells but bases too.
Carbon and ferrite is pretty common and easy to get, but you use it so often you may as well keep a stack permenantly you top up. Also carbon is useful for building wooden structures if you make a base for hazard protection.
Thats 6 slots set aside for stuff you'll use almost constantly, don't worry too much about holding onto other things (just in case) as you'll have plenty of time to gather stuff as you progress. Better to progress and unlock more exosuit storage in the stations.

Is there any way to escape from pirates? I'm nowhere near able to take on more than one easy pirate and it seems to like to throw several of them at me. in VR it makes it harder there is no real quick way to recharge your shield either.
Like Unicorn says, boost dead ahead and they will lose you/interest pretty quickly.

Feb 10, 2018
Are there "guns" or "mining tools" with a technology tab ? Wondering because I've never seen one so far, I've got a kind of shotgun looking mining tool with 24 slots and was wondering if I could find something better

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Are there "guns" or "mining tools" with a technology tab ? Wondering because I've never seen one so far, I've got a kind of shotgun looking mining tool with 24 slots and was wondering if I could find something better

No, the multitools are just the "main" slots, technically I suppose what you see is the technology slots section since multitools can't hold resources or similar.
As far as better goes, 24 slots are the max, then you have the option of finding a better "S" class tool, with better stats in the area you are looking for.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
I spent a number of hours last night building an automated activated indium operation. Currently I net 122 million units worth of ore every 2.5 hours. The base is getting a little glitchy at the moment though and the resource spot is only c class so I'm on the lookout for an A class which is easier said than done.

gQxqdoj.png

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nice stuff, Hellers

Currently I'm stuck in the loop of finding a "perfect" planet to setup my new base. Though I liked the previous one, it was a bit too much oceanic for me,and I'd like to start some automining etc.

The good part about storing up tons of mats when exploring individual planets is that it funds near endless warps.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does one locate manufacturing facilities in Beyond? Using the portable signal booster? I remember you could choose what type of building to find by putting navigation data into one before but this no longer seems to be the case.

The cartographer on the space station in each system will give planetary charts for a certain type of building. So find one that locates manufacturing facilities, and then farm that guy.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The cartographer on the space station in each system will give planetary charts for a certain type of building. So find one that locates manufacturing facilities, and then farm that guy.

Ooo, so specific cartographers source specific maps? You know I never notice or tried using a cartographer aside from a couple of goes and never noticed. Great tip.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Nice stuff, Hellers

Currently I'm stuck in the loop of finding a "perfect" planet to setup my new base. Though I liked the previous one, it was a bit too much oceanic for me,and I'd like to start some automining etc.

The good part about storing up tons of mats when exploring individual planets is that it funds near endless warps.

I've got my main base on a moon. Green grass. Nice trees. Pretty flat. Giant dinosaur insects.

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Can you explain this? Prior to the Beyond update i was able to build 9 units at will, now when I try to build a second one I'm told I'm only allowed one per base. I see no numbers distinguishing any units and no way to build units "2-9"
I just realized you might not have been given the blueprints for 1-9 if you haven't progressed very far in the base quests.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooo, so specific cartographers source specific maps? You know I never notice or tried using a cartographer aside from a couple of goes and never noticed. Great tip.

Yeah, although each will give a few different related ones, like manufacturing facilities and operations centers.

Can you explain this? Prior to the Beyond update i was able to build 9 units at will, now when I try to build a second one I'm told I'm only allowed one per base. I see no numbers distinguishing any units and no way to build units "2-9"

You need to progress further in the base building quest to get those. For some reason you get the blueprint for the first one earlier, then all the rest, it's weird.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I just realized you might not have been given the blueprints for 1-9 if you haven't progressed very far in the base quests.
You need to progress further in the base building quest to get those. For some reason you get the blueprint for the first one earlier, then all the rest, it's weird.

Ok yeah this makes sense because I know I can only build one now. I started over with the Beyond update and prior to it I got 1-9 all at the same time. Good to know it's no glitch.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've got my main base on a moon. Green grass. Nice trees. Pretty flat. Giant dinosaur insects.

Damn, now I want to leave even more, lots of oceans, yet shallow and broken up by landmasses so makes underwater exocraft a chore, yet not "landmassy" enough to enjoy an explore without dodging seas

Yeah, although each will give a few different related ones, like manufacturing facilities and operations centers.

Yeah that would make sense then since the maps I just grabbed had a mix of those. Nice.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Unfortunately you'll need to follow the main quest(s) for a few hours and it gives you the blueprint for antimatter, housing, and a warp cell. It may require building a base computer etc first though.

I, too, started on a toxic planet but I'm waiting to get done with a bunch of the base building quests before moving to a better planet.

Eh that's what I was kind of afraid of...I've done most of the base building tutorial stuff so I guess I'll just see it through.

Found a moon that's pretty barren with little to on flora or fauna so I can at least complete it there.

Thanks!

Feb 10, 2018
I've started getting glyphs ( 1 each time I warp to a new solar system)

I used a portal by putting the only 4 different glyphs I got at random and arrived to a planet where people had left messages near the portal, that was quite cool !

Then, I tried to leave the planet, but appartenly, you can warp away from the planets you arrived to through a glyph ? I guess that's to prevent people to using that to get to the center of the galaxy faster ?

Do you know some glyphs to really cool planets ?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London

I used a portal by putting the only 4 different glyphs I got at random and arrived to a planet where people had left messages near the portal, that was quite cool !

Then, I tried to leave the planet, but appartenly, you can warp away from the planets you arrived to through a glyph ? I guess that's to prevent people to using that to get to the center of the galaxy faster ?

You can get around this by building a base with a teleporter on the new planet and then going back through the portal.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

There's a few repositories of coordinates. A subreddit called NMS coordinate exchange as I recall off the top of my head, though you'll need more and more glyphs to access some of them.
You used to be able to plop a base down, warp back through the portal then TP to the new base from a station to get true access to that point of the galaxy, I don't know if thats been patched out though, not really thought about glyphs on this save yet.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Yeah that's what I do. It's absolutely baffling that you can't use the scanner while flying.

And even when you press L3 to scan while flying in your ship, all it will mark is random buildings, and that barely works at all. Most of the time I click it and nothing happens, even if I can literally see a building in my view. It seems that it's broken and needs to get fixed and enhanced.

Hell, if they have to make us install an upgrade module that lets it show us resource deposits and what not so be it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What are people's first multitool upgrade? I still haven't seen one for less than a million units and i'm Way off that. Struggling with so few slots though especially when I was almost forced to install a bolt caster to get through a door.

lifehack for blasting through doors and not getting sentinels on your back - terrain manipulator to build a cave around you and the door so nobody can see you or get in.

still not sure if i'm Sticking with this - still a lot of busy work and many of the systems are quite obtuse. Hopefully this freighter will start to bring some money in but still.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
And even when you press L3 to scan while flying in your ship, all it will mark is random buildings, and that barely works at all. Most of the time I click it and nothing happens, even if I can literally see a building in my view. It seems that it's broken and needs to get fixed and enhanced.

Hell, if they have to make us install an upgrade module that lets it show us resource deposits and what not so be it.
It was possible in vanilla but they ditched it some times ago if I remember correctly.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It was possible in vanilla but they ditched it some times ago if I remember correctly.
Do they think people enjoy randomly flying to an unmarked location, landing, scanning only to see there's no resource deposits nearby and repeating ad nausesm (all the while wasting launch fuel thruster)

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent a number of hours last night building an automated activated indium operation. Currently I net 122 million units worth of ore every 2.5 hours. The base is getting a little glitchy at the moment though and the resource spot is only c class so I'm on the lookout for an A class which is easier said than done.

gQxqdoj.png
What! As someone who is having trouble making any currency..WHAT!

Mitchman1411

Jul 28, 2018
Oslo, Norway
What are people's first multitool upgrade? I still haven't seen one for less than a million units and i'm Way off that. Struggling with so few slots though especially when I was almost forced to install a bolt caster to get through a door.
The first 3 upgrades should be 3x S-class scanner upgrades for those big payouts when scanning animals and flora. 65k per plant, 120-350k for animals adds up real quick when you're starting out.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first 3 upgrades should be 3x S-class scanner upgrades for those big payouts when scanning animals and flora. 65k per plant, 120-350k for animals adds up real quick when you're starting out.
What! lol. I am getting like 200-400 for scanning. No wonder I am poor. Where do you buy S-class scanner upgrades? Just check vendors?

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
What! lol. I am getting like 200-400 for scanning. No wonder I am poor. Where do you buy S-class scanner upgrades? Just check vendors?
Yes. Look for S upgrades with 7000%/8000% money bonus. I currently get around 405K for a big animal, I don't even bother farming money anymore

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lifehack for blasting through doors and not getting sentinels on your back - terrain manipulator to build a cave around you and the door so nobody can see you or get in.

still not sure if i'm Sticking with this - still a lot of busy work and many of the systems are quite obtuse. Hopefully this freighter will start to bring some money in but still.

My first new multitool (which I still use) was an A class with 23 slots. Cost me a bit over 3M. At first that seemed like it would take a loooong time, but then I found a planet full of ancient bones...