• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had four crashes so far, all of them in the new space anomaly. Playing on PS4 Pro.

Happened again while typing this post, twice. Gotta try to bail out of the anomaly before it crashes again. :D
One thing you can count on with these updates, there will be bugs. Other thing is the bad ones will be fixed fast.

zodiaq

Oct 28, 2017
Just tried it on PSVR.

My thoughts so far.

Negative
- blurry, compared to other PSVR games, but UI is sharp, not a deal breaker.

Positive
- VERY well implemented, fantastic tracking
- surprisingly good UI translation from 2D mode
- controls well, plays well, I would say the VR mode might be the definitive way to experience this game.
- easy to adapt and learn how to play

aside from the blurriness, I'm very very impressed and love the VR implementation.
I'll get the Steam version and try it on my Oculus later.

Yes, it's very blurry. However I think overall the vr mode is very well made but I got motion sick when flying my airship. I think I won't play a lot in VR since it's just too blurry for me.

Edit: I played with move controllers and teleport.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've got over 60 hours in my main save but I'm gonna start fresh with a new campaign since it's been so long.

Worthy of note the game is currently -50% on Steam for those curious (perhaps other storefronts as well?).

I'm in the camp that I never had a problem with 1.0 launch version (being a Farm Sim fan will do that), but the places Hello Games have taken this project since has been nothing short of incredible. There's a world where the team could have washed their hands of the game and walked away into the sunset with their huge bags of money after its poor initial reception (I understand that it sold truckloads out of the gate). But they instead put their heads down and focused on major, game-changing updates over the past few years. All completely free of charge.

What a comeback story.

(Amazing OP, btw. Props.)

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
This is my question, no one has said how the game is with the moves. I won't be able to play until I get off work. I've been playing Dual Shock all weekend and I like it, so I'm wondering if it's worth switching to the Moves now that we have VR for a truer immersion?
I played it with Move.
Very well implemented.
Within 10 minutes I understood almost every menu interaction.
Most 2D games translated to VR mode has awful menu/UI navigation, but this is surprisingly good.

Oct 27, 2017
When my screen frosts over on an icy planet, it starts jittering (the frost texture).

Also, my ship is fatter but my wings are stubby and obviously the same size connected to the initial normal body.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Not playing on it but how's performance now on PS4?
I play on PC and want to see if I can get an idea on how much more its optimized

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question as I'll be installing NMS on a new PC rig and re-configuring the settings.

I remember way back when getting the hot tip to toggle something in the Settings for flight control with k/m. It was supposed to make flight navigation way more intuitive with a mouse vs. the default setup.

Does anyone remember what that specific toggle was? It's been ages since I've played.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
No matter what I try, it's not working with VR for me. Try to re install everything but it that doesn't work, thanks for fucking this up again Sean.
Jesus. You really need to get a grip child. Looking forward to the update on PC. Don't even have it for PSVR, but if I did I could wait as second or two. Not gonna kill ya.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I love this

beyond-discovery-5.png
HNNNNNG.

Do they have planetary maps yet? I would love to be able to select one of those planets, and see all the locations I've discovered on a 3D map, especially trade hubs, my bases etc. I'd finally enjoy exploring and mapping a home planet then.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
Just played on PSVR for like 30 minutes, first impressions here:

1. The way they made this work with PSVR was downgrade the shit out of the graphics. It's passable, but god, the LOD is terrible, I saw a few, too close to my taste, pop-ups and I don't even think this is running at native resolution. It was raining at one point and I only noticed it because of the rain sound, lol. But I didn't notice a single frame drop until now, which is nice.

2. The controls are great, like, GREAT. I didn't play Skyrim VR to compare, but I enjoyed what I played so far. Used moves btw.

3. The new UI for PSVR is fairly intuitive and works perfectly. Remind me of Rec Room UI, which I love.

I didn't fly with my ship yet, but I did enter the cockpit and the feeling is great. I'll go to work and will probably finish repairing it only when I come back. I liked what I played, but the graphics are something that a few people won't like, like, at all. Played with a Pro btw, I have no idea how bad this will look like on a normal PS4.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eager to hear about PSVR impressions. Already have it on PC but if the impressions are good I'll double dip for the current sale price for the full VR experience.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
LMAO. Deactivating super sampling does indeed fix the VR problems. It now finally boots.

Insane that the game simply black screens and crashes when you boot it with VR while having super sampling mode activated. How did this got greenlighted?

Played it a few minutes with VR on my Pro and it really confirms all my fears. It's blurry as hell. Imagine the PSVR game with the worst resolution you played so far. It's that bad, if not worse.

I give it a bit more time but I think I will switch back to my X version. That's not worth it....

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
I downloaded this yesterday and played for an hour. Does the game get any better other than, fix this, fix that, kind of missions? It kind of just feels like Minecraft?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yes, it's very blurry. However I think overall the vr mode is very well made but I got motion sick when flying my airship. I think I won't play a lot in VR since it's just too blurry for me.

Not sure how often you play your VR, but motion sickness is something a game with free locomotion will give you if you just jump in right away and do a lot of moving without first becoming acclimated to it. RIGS for example will fuck your shit up good. Unless you have some sort of condition that makes you more prone to motion sickness, then simply playing in short doses will build up your tolerance pretty quickly to the point that it will become nonexistent. Your problem with the blurriness is a different matter of course, it's a trade off we make for immersion and it's up to the individual to decide if that trade is worth it to them.

I played it with Move.
Very well implemented.
Within 10 minutes I understood almost every menu interaction.
Most 2D games translated to VR mode has awful menu/UI navigation, but this is surprisingly good.

Excellent. Then I will be officially switching to the moves, I want the most immersion. My second question, how difficult is it to perform the little thrust maneuver with the moves? That's the one where you press sprint, melee and rocket pack simultaneously and he does a shoulder thrust that let's you traverses ground and distances much faster. I can imagine this is a little clunky with the Moves but I hope I'm wrong?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Good shit Kyuuji

I haven't bothered with NMS in a while but I might whip out the Vive to try out the VR

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Excellent. Then I will be officially switching to the moves, I want the most immersion. My second question, how difficult is it to perform the little thrust maneuver with the moves? That's the one where you press sprint, melee and rocket pack simultaneously and he does a shoulder thrust that let's you traverses ground and distances much faster. I can imagine this is a little clunky with the Moves but I hope I'm wrong?
Did not try that. Jetpack is triangle on the right, sprint is Move button on the right, and I did not try Melee.
Now I'm curious if melee is actually swinging my hand... I'll try that now.

Oct 30, 2017
Playing this for the first time. Thought I'd give it a go while it's on sale and when the big latch drops!

So far I've spent 20 minutes wondering around looking for oxygen to craft something! Quite relaxing, though. Haha.

Also, is there a first person mode?

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So much focus on building and barely anything on biomes and exploration =/

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Jesus. You really need to get a grip child. Looking forward to the update on PC. Don't even have it for PSVR, but if I did I could wait as second or two. Not gonna kill ya.

Waiting for what? Them fixing this in 2 weeks? Thanks god I know a workaround now but if this wouldn't be possible, how is it not justified to write something like this when the game simply black screen crashes and VR doesn't work at all? Seriously, can you fuck it up even worse? How's that excusable?

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
VR on a shitty old PS4 is pretty blurry. The sense of scale is REALLY ramped up though, and the way they've done the UI is excellent. I hope in the future the PSVR and No Man's Sky are backwards compatible with PS5, because it could definitely use some higher fidelity.

Kinda wanted to puke when flying though lol.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone mention how the performance is on the base PS4 version? Sounds like they optimized performance.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
One thing you can count on with these updates, there will be bugs. Other thing is the bad ones will be fixed fast.

Expected nothing less. :D

My poor Traveller is at it since day 1 and survived all prior expansions, but bugs like these tempt me to start a new savegame. Reminds me of that time when every warp could result in a crash. It surely made warping exiting again.

Well, I managed to flee from the anomaly and now I'm back at my base, or what's left of it. The landing platforms are gone and everything needs electricity now. Guess I'm building a power generator...

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
For moves? How? There's no analog stick...

Press big button (left controller) to start walking, right big button (right controller) to run, you can strafe a little bit point the controller to the direction you want.

Basically every PSVR game that uses the moves for free movement works like this.

How would fly a ship with a Move controller?

Left move you grip the thruster and right move you control the stick. You have to keep holding the triggers to hold both. You can increase the speed to the point you want and release the trigger so you can do other stuff. The same with the flying stick, just point the ship to the direction you want and release the trigger.

Oct 28, 2017
Press big button (left controller) to start walking, right big button (right controller) to run, you can strafe a little bit point the controller to the direction you want.

Basically every PSVR game that uses the moves for free movement works like this.
Oh ok. I've only had my moves about a week I've only played a few games on it.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully playing this tonight in VR on my Quest streamed from my PC. With a friend in co-op in pancake mode.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
some games do not have a Pro patch on the first day, could someone knows if is there any difference between ps4 and pro versions?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Just had a crash when going to the space anomaly for the first time. That's how you know it's new NMS patch day.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was quick. Played for about 30 minutes and crashed (base PS4). Not a big deal, I've been here since day 1, I know these things happen with big updates. Think I'll just go back to Spider-Man until a patch or two drops and fixes things up a bit.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Every other VR game I've played on Move has teleoporting or automatic movement.

I was about to be like WTF, then I saw you post

Oh ok. I've only had my moves about a week I've only played a few games on it.

Ahh, OK, I see.

EDIT:

And to add, most of those games you're saying only had teleporting and such might have had free locomotion as well, since you're new to the Moves (and VR?) you may not be away. Many games use teleportation as their default setting, for fear of giving people motion sickness. Check each games VR comfort options, you are able to change the settings to free movement. This is how it works in Skyrim, for example.