• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question as I'll be installing NMS on a new PC rig and re-configuring the settings.

I remember way back when getting the hot tip to toggle something in the Settings for flight control with k/m. It was supposed to make flight navigation way more intuitive with a mouse vs. the default setup.

Does anyone remember what that specific toggle was? It's been ages since I've played.
Most likely change Flight Control from Tethered (default I think) to Locked. It's in game options - not under controls.

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
Just curious what game mode do y'all play? i havent booted this game up in a long time. Is it still creative, normal, etc. ?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Is this a game where you'd need to play with friends to enjoy? I wanna try it but none of my friends are interested becuase they all bought it back when it launched and are still upset about that

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Already had 4 crashes on PS4. Admittedly, 2 were in New Lennon (Galactic Hub capital). That system may be pushing the game a bit with 50+ player bases

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Just played on PSVR for like 30 minutes, first impressions here:

1. The way they made this work with PSVR was downgrade the shit out of the graphics. It's passable, but god, the LOD is terrible, I saw a few, too close to my taste, pop-ups and I don't even think this is running at native resolution. It was raining at one point and I only noticed it because of the rain sound, lol. But I didn't notice a single frame drop until now, which is nice.

2. The controls are great, like, GREAT. I didn't play Skyrim VR to compare, but I enjoyed what I played so far. Used moves btw.

3. The new UI for PSVR is fairly intuitive and works perfectly. Remind me of Rec Room UI, which I love.

I didn't fly with my ship yet, but I did enter the cockpit and the feeling is great. I'll go to work and will probably finish repairing it only when I come back. I liked what I played, but the graphics are something that a few people won't like, like, at all. Played with a Pro btw, I have no idea how bad this will look like on a normal PS4.
This is what I feared. But there was no way around this on PS4 :/
Anyway, the feeling of immersion usually makes up for the bad visuals. It didn't bother me in Skyrim it probably won't bother me here.

To be perfectly clear: this game is playable with dualshock and free movement options in VR? Like the real deal only in VR, no compromises?

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Also, has anyone noticed an issue where the mining laser's sound effects don't start playing until a second or two after you start firing it (base PS4)?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Anyway, the feeling of immersion usually makes up for the bad visuals. It didn't bother me in Skyrim it probably won't bother me here.

To be perfectly clear: this game is playable with dualshock and free movement options in VR? Like the real deal only in VR, no compromises?

Yep 100% full game with free Locomotion.

Also, do we know if there are any differences between OG and Pro?
As long as there are none, we can hope for a Pro-Patch to improve the IQ.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't be stuck, you don't need copper to fly your craft. Just fly to another planet, or another location on the same planet. there's bound to be some around unless you just got unlucky.

If I actually have to leave the planet I'd say the tutorial is pretty broken. It clearly expects me to find it here.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Press big button (left controller) to start walking, right big button (right controller) to run, you can strafe a little bit point the controller to the direction you want.

Basically every PSVR game that uses the moves for free movement works like this.

Left move you grip the thruster and right move you control the stick. You have to keep holding the triggers to hold both. You can increase the speed to the point you want and release the trigger so you can do other stuff. The same with the flying stick, just point the ship to the direction you want and release the trigger.

Doesn't sound intuitive at all (the whole Move scheme itself, not talking about the mapping). I'll stick with the DS4.

How do the PSVR graphics compare to Skyrim. Is it worse or better?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to set a new campaign to not allow Friends or randos join your game?

I'm anti-social and want to save all those frames for solo play.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, there's a pretty good storyline
They added many, many carrots in the last couple of years. Some vast (galaxy-spanning storylines), some small (a compelling local quest/mission loop).

uu9pmDP.gif

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
If I actually have to leave the planet I'd say the tutorial is pretty broken. It clearly expects me to find it here.

Did you just start up a new game? Are you on Nicest Major? I don't recall the initial tutorial requiring you to mine copper, you don't even get the land manipulator until you fix your ship and have the ability to go to different planets.

Doesn't sound intuitive at all (the whole Move scheme itself, not talking about the mapping). I'll stick with the DS4.

It's actually very intuitive, take some time and try and get used to it before you write it off. This is because all PSVR Move games with free locomotion work that way. If you are like "fuck it," then that means you'll never play a locomotion game with the Moves and you'll lose out on a lot of immersion.

Oct 25, 2017
Had to stop playing because I encountered my first crash. Luckily I had just saved my game at a waypoint or something on a planet?

Feeling overwhelmed at this point, but in a fantastic way. There's so many systems and features to explore, and I can see how you could fall down a rabbit hole just exploring a few planets, building a base, or adventuring with friends, let alone following the main quest line.

Quick one: is there a kind of map or way to bring up a save point I found on the planet I'm currently on? It had an upgrade pod next to it, and now I've gathered resources I'd like to go back and fix up my exo suit, but there doesn't seem to be a way to locate it?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's actually very intuitive, take some time and try and get used to it before you write it off. This is because all PSVR Move games with free locomotion work that way. If you are like "fuck it," then that means you'll never play a locomotion game with the Moves and you'll lose out on a lot of immersion.
I 100% agree with this, it took me 30 minutes to an hour to get used to it for Skyrim but then I couldn't go back to playing with a DS4, it just felt so good!

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I've played for over an hour and haven't seen a sentinel yet.

Had my first crash. Need to get back in to the habit of saving often.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Did you just start up a new game? Are you on Nicest Major? I don't recall the initial tutorial requiring you to mine copper, you don't even get the land manipulator until you fix your ship and have the ability to go to different planets.

I tried it in Skyrim and DOOM VFR. It was a relief playing with the DS4 after that.

Viper_GK

Oct 28, 2017
Have not played No Man's Sky in a very long time, have they made any improvements to the combat? missions involving combat or even bounties?

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I'm stuck at work and won't be able to play until later tonight. I set up my PC to auto-install the update, so hopefully 🤞🏾 it'll be all set to play once I get home.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
hmm, i just moved and havent set up my vive. I'm skeptical about performance, but it'll be worth a try. seems like it'd be dope for the knuckles, but I'll have to do without.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Have always wanted to give this a try and I'm interested now more than ever since I'm taking a break from Destiny until Shadowkeep, but I've always needed a carrot to chase and there just doesn't seem to be any in this game. It just seems to be a massive sandbox that you explore, build, scavenge and survive. That can certainly be fun for a while, but I'm not sure how long it'll hold my interest. Is there any main objective to this game?
The main storyline in the game is pretty good TBH I found it quite affecting the first time I played through, and I've done it again since and its still great.
Just curious what game mode do y'all play? i havent booted this game up in a long time. Is it still creative, normal, etc. ?
Though I've have some "fun" in Survival Permadeath, Normal is the best mode by far in my opinion, I'd also say its the most popular. Survival is just a chore most of the time.
Is this a game where you'd need to play with friends to enjoy? I wanna try it but none of my friends are interested becuase they all bought it back when it launched and are still upset about that
Its seems a lot of people play together and have fun, given Hello games mentioned the stats earlier in the week. Personally I've had the msot fun on my own in the game, getting lost in the ambience and the galaxy is great.

What little I played was via Dualshock and free movement with the thumbsticks.

[edit] oops, quote mess...

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Have not played No Man's Sky in a very long time, have they made any improvements to the combat? missions involving combat or even bounties?
Yes and no. Combat on foot still works mostly the same as before, and while they've added missions for killing X number of animals... it's still not much fun. You'll just feel like a dick hunting defenceless wildlife for a pat on the back.
Space combat had a nice update though, with lots of new weapon types, and spaceship bounty hunting missions for using them.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Its probably there on that planet, but not in your immediate scanning range, either go for a walk or take off and fly off in a direction and try again elsewhere. When you bring up your scanner (LT) you should see copper listed on the planets resources on the right side.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, full game in VR with free movement on moves or dualshock, no compromises.

I didn't play Skyrim, so I can't compare. But on PS4 Pro it looks...bad.

The ship controls are to sensitive, I'll look if there's a way too reduce it, but yeah, it was the only part of the controls that took me a few minutes to get used to. The rest of the game though, was pretty great.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017

I would say they are worse but don't be discouraged as it is still great what they have done on PSVR. Flying was really hard until I changed the controls in the options but now they are great. Using move controllers btw. Also using full locomotion while on foot.

To think what will be possible in VR in the next gen or two is very exciting.

Viper_GK

Oct 28, 2017
Yes and no. Combat on foot still works mostly the same as before, and while they've added missions for killing X number of animals... it's still not much fun. You'll just feel like a dick hunting defenceless wildlife for a pat on the back.
Space combat had a nice update though, with lots of new weapon types, and spaceship bounty hunting missions for using them.

Oh perfect, I was mostly interested in space/ship combat so that sounds pretty good, thanks.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Waiting for what? Them fixing this in 2 weeks? Thanks god I know a workaround now but if this wouldn't be possible, how is it not justified to write something like this when the game simply black screen crashes and VR doesn't work at all? Seriously, can you fuck it up even worse? How's that excusable?
This also happened with Wipeout omega in VR. Same fix solved it. It's Sony's issue, not Hello games.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
did I miss that PC NMS got HDR support finally? damn, guess i'm late to the party with this experimental branch.