• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at Steam like

giphy.gif
beyond-chairs-1.gif

Oct 25, 2017
That stack limit increase is insane and will get rid of so much tediousness. Can't wait to get home and see some walking NPCs.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
This was to be expected though, wasn't it? The only way to get this running in VR on consoles was a huge downgrade in graphics.

Also, i don`t think it is Pro enhanced yet?
Maybe we´ll get further improvements or a dedicated Pro-patch later down the line.

Also, PSVR discussions tend to derail into one of these two directions:
1. This short rather restricted experience is shit, i want larger, "real" AAA games
Alternative: This is a really good game "for PSVR Standarts"
2. This large, "real" AAA game looks like shit.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Played a bit over half hour on a new survival save with moves.

Got my ship flying.

Controls are excellent.

Graphics compromised but serviceable. The UI being super sharp certainly takes the sting out of the bad graphics.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Cleaning up my PC area - waiting on some stuff from amazon so out of action until probably tomorrow. Looking forward to steam VR impressions (hoping to stream to my quest). Also have a PSVR but double dipped on sale for the hopefully better quality on PC

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
A shame PSVR looks bad, glad it plays well though. Hope it looks decent on my Rift/980Ti...

Some games just don't look good in VR, unfortunately.

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Gutted to hear the bad news on the visuals. Might try get a cheap rift and play on PC instead I think.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully have a chance to take this for a spin at lunch. Most intrigued right now by the planetary maps system, see how that works.

PSVR blurriness isn't surprising, but also a concern. I don't really have much tolerance for it in other VR games.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gutted to hear the bad news on the visuals. Might try get a cheap rift and play on PC instead I think.

All I can say is don't get a Rift for this. After playing Elite on my Vive for dozens of hours, I then went to Rift and I couldn't stand it, anything bright on a dark background created huge concentric circles that were really annoying.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
OK some quick impressions from starting afresh..

• Speeding through the starting missions.
  • The Scanner is now very effective at scanning moving creatures, though I've not found any butterflies yet, scuttling crab spiders and birds have been very easy to scan so far. [edit] and can be easily scanned as they pass behind stuff too.
  • The Geodes (and similar) which drop while mining are a nice "Surprise mechanic" :P.
  • Stack size increase is the Cats Pyjamas.
  • The New Research tree is the Wasps nipples.
  • The New Discovery page is The Bees Knees.
o7uOj4Dh.png

• The new Cockpit is The Dogs Bollocks
9jbIifKh.png

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
That was a huge list of patch notes to go through
Can't wait to play it next week

Sad to see they didn't fix the missing quest npc glitch :(

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is don't get a Rift for this. After playing Elite on my Vive for dozens of hours, I then went to Rift and I couldn't stand it, anything bright on a dark background created huge concentric circles that were really annoying.
imo its worth it for the controllers. they are such a large step up from the Vive wands. The knuckles are even better though but that aint cheap.

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017

As I have a half decent gaming laptop, you think it might be an idea to get PSVR running through my laptop using Trinus or whatever it's called? All I need to do is get it running at a higher res I guess!

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
OK some quick impressions from starting afresh..

• Speeding through the starting missions.
  • The Scanner is now very effective at scanning moving creatures, though I've not found any butterflies yet, scuttling crab spiders and birds have been very easy to scan so far. [edit] and can be easily scanned as they pass behind stuff too.
  • The Geodes (and similar) which drop while mining are a nice "Surprise mechanic" :P.
  • Stack size increase is the Cats Pyjamas.
  • The New Research tree is the Wasps nipples.
  • The New Discovery page is The Bees Knees.
o7uOj4Dh.png

• The new Cockpit is The Dogs Bollocks
9jbIifKh.png

Pyjama, nipples, knees, bollocks. Well I'm sold.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's a bit annoying, but hardly unplayable. Plus as another person already mentioned the controllers are much better.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
imo its worth it for the controllers. they are such a large step up from the Vive wands. The knuckles are even better though but that aint cheap.

Good point, as I played Elite with a hotas it wasn't something I considered. Still, out of all of my gripes with VR, those circles are up there.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about jumping back in from a fresh save. How does the X version compare to the Pro? If it's a huge improvement I might double dip and start my new game there.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As I have a half decent gaming laptop, you think it might be an idea to get PSVR running through my laptop using Trinus or whatever it's called? All I need to do is get it running at a higher res I guess!

No idea, never used a PSVR

I mean it's a bit annoying, but hardly unplayable. Plus as another person already mentioned the controllers are much better.

For me, it was too much. Totally ruined my experience, but that's just me.

Also, unlike Elite, much of NMS takes place in light areas with no dark/light contrast.

Hadn't considered this, NMS is far brighter I guess. It's been a while since I played it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

What's your lowest bar for VR? I don't think it's nearly as bad as some are portraying it to be. If you're able to tolerate things like Skyrim, Doom, etc, on VR, then this is honestly not bad. PSVR will always be held back by the PS4, base or not, because it's old hardware, but it's 100% still playable and awe in inspiring at times.

My biggest complains aren't resolution based, but instead pop in (most noticeably with shadows) bizarre graphical errors (like when I played my left hand didn't render). The only time I felt the resolution was holding back my experience was the HUD in the cockpit.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Played for over an hour on PS4 Pro VR, and it's pretty incredible. The Move controllers, while making their limitations apparent, surprisingly work great. The visuals look fine, not great but about what I expected. Being able to fly you ship around in VR is probabaly something that will never stop being cool, and being able to lift open the cockpit with you hands is a really nice touch.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good point, as I played Elite with a hotas it wasn't something I considered. Still, out of all of my gripes with VR, those circles are up there.
Yeah, that's banding. It's an issue with the black & color levels and some people manage to fix that in the rift based on the RGB options set to full rather than limited. I tried switching from HDMI to display port, hardware forcing full color, couldn't fix it. It's ass I agree.

I'll be jumping into NMS with the Rift though so I hope I'm not in for a bad time.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jumping into this with some friends for the first time this weekend. How does base building work between friends? Is there a host and only their world represented or do somehow both our bases appear in the same world and we can visit each other? Is there any shared progress when I join someones game, or am I just joining their instance?

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
What's your lowest bar for VR? I don't think it's nearly as bad as some are portraying it to be. If you're able to tolerate things like Skyrim, Doom, etc, on VR, then this is honestly not bad. PSVR will always be held back by the PS4, base or not, because it's old hardware, but it's 100% still playable and awe in inspiring at times.

My biggest complains aren't resolution based, but instead pop in (most noticeably with shadows) bizarre graphical errors (like when I played my left hand didn't render). The only time I felt the resolution was holding back my experience was the HUD in the cockpit.

I couldn't stand Skyrim for PSVR, but astrobot and other games such as Rush of Blood were fine for me. But as Skyrim being the only open world game i've played in VR it was too comprimised for me.

I've got NMS both on PC and on my PS4 Pro so i'm just weighing up my options whether to just try and get my PSVR half working on my PC instead as it should be better quality, or buy a Rift or something similar.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, that's banding. It's an issue with the black & color levels and some people manage to fix that in the rift based on the RGB options set to full rather than limited. I tried switching from HDMI to display port, hardware forcing full color, couldn't fix it. It's ass I agree.

I'll be jumping into NMS with the Rift though so I hope I'm not in for a bad time.

Banding is it? I just called it "those fucking shitty circles" lol

As someone else said, NMS is brighter, so I hope you have a good time

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking about jumping back in from a fresh save. How does the X version compare to the Pro? If it's a huge improvement I might double dip and start my new game there.

Well hello there. As of Next the X version would hit a higher peak dynamic resolution (up to native 4k on X while it's 1800p on Pro) but had worse framerates in both performance and quality modes.

I'm sure this is all up in the air with the performance optimizations in Beyond.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So played it now for over an hour in VR.

It looks like garbage, absolute garbage. It's so blurry and low res it's not really fun to look at anything.
This gives me flashbacks to my childhood PC days where I had a bad PC but tried everything to lower the graphics and resolution to make newer games somehow playable no matter what.

That's just not fun.

Even if the mode is really well implemented, PC player will have an absolute blast. The implementation is good and well done, besides a few little things.

First of all, free running and locomotion is possible with move. You run with LT and can turn with O and X on the right Move.
Only not really thought through thing, jumping is also on the right Move triangle, so turning and jumping at the same time is a bit shitty. Should have moved turning to the left Move, that would fix it.
But the rest is pretty decent. Menus, moves like using the menus and the scanner and putting your weapon away feels great.
Flying is a bit fiddly.

But in the end, not really worth it to play in that technical state. It's a cool little experience but playing the whole game in it and missing out on beautiful graphics and an easier navigation through the whole game is not a good trade-off.

Does anyone know how much difference there is between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X?
Continuing the same save just without VR would be an option, but I theoretically have the X version ready here to jump back to because if there is much difference, why staying on PS4?

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
For anyone thinking of buying VR on PC for this, don't go with the Rift (unless that's going to be your 1 and done thing with no plans to upgrade later). There's no upgrade path to the Index if you go down that route. Can't use the Rift sensors on the HTC stuff but the Vive sensors can be used for the Index. Index has the best headset in terms of clarity and the best controllers. And the Oculus leadership is abandoning ship for some reason.
Can you not??

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I couldn't stand Skyrim for PSVR, but astrobot and other games such as Rush of Blood were fine for me. But as Skyrim being the only open world game i've played in VR it was too comprimised for me.

I've got NMS both on PC and on my PS4 Pro so i'm just weighing up my options whether to just try and get my PSVR half working on my PC instead as it should be better quality, or buy a Rift or something similar.

I mean, if you've already got the game on both platforms...just try it on your PS4 first? Seems like a much easier thing to do, compared to the potential hours you'll spend getting your PSVR working on your laptop. You've got nothing to lose by trying it out the easiest way first.

That said, it's not as sharp as Astro Bot, but it's also not as bad as Skyrim. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, if you've already got the game on both platforms...just try it on your PS4 first? Seems like a much easier thing to do, compared to the potential hours you'll spend getting your PSVR working on your laptop. You've got nothing to lose by trying it out the easiest way first.

That said, it's not as sharp as Astro Bot, but it's also not as bad as Skyrim. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

Fair enough I'm just being impatient as i'm stuck at work for a while haha! I'll give it a go and then try PC afterwards then :)

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
For anyone thinking of buying VR on PC for this, don't go with the Rift (unless that's going to be your 1 and done thing with no plans to upgrade later). There's no upgrade path to the Index if you go down that route. Can't use the Rift sensors on the HTC stuff but the Vive sensors can be used for the Index. Index has the best headset in terms of clarity and the best controllers. And the Oculus leadership is abandoning ship for some reason.

giphy.gif

I get what you're saying though. But unless you're upgrade crazy, there isn't much of a need to upgrade from a Rift S to an Index, unless you want minor improvements (and based on impressions, the Index controllers, while cool, are actually not as good as Touch).