• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's banding. It's an issue with the black & color levels and some people manage to fix that in the rift based on the RGB options set to full rather than limited. I tried switching from HDMI to display port, hardware forcing full color, couldn't fix it. It's ass I agree.

I'll be jumping into NMS with the Rift though so I hope I'm not in for a bad time.

Banding is it? I just called it "those fucking shitty circles" lol

As someone else said, NMS is brighter, so I hope you have a good time

Nah, I'm pretty sure what they're complaining about is commonly referred to as "god rays" which are an artifact of the fresnel lenses in high contrast scenes. It exists on the Vive as well but not as bad as the Rift.

Banding is OLED mura related and can also be an issue in dark scenes.

I haven't heard of either issue with the Rift S headset.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
Only had a few minutes to mess around my PS4 Pro but the game looks amazing. Framerate got real bad in the new Anomaly before crashing though.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
For anyone thinking of buying VR on PC for this, don't go with the Rift (unless that's going to be your 1 and done thing with no plans to upgrade later). There's no upgrade path to the Index if you go down that route. Can't use the Rift sensors on the HTC stuff but the Vive sensors can be used for the Index. Index has the best headset in terms of clarity and the best controllers. And the Oculus leadership is abandoning ship for some reason.
It's been a while since I've read so much disinformation in a single post. They don't even sell Rifts with sensors anymore, the S has inside out tracking (and it works brilliantly well), while also having a display that by several reviews isn't too far away from the Index, while costing less than a half.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Well hello there. As of Next the X version would hit a higher peak dynamic resolution (up to native 4k on X while it's 1800p on Pro) but had worse framerates in both performance and quality modes.

I'm sure this is all up in the air with the performance optimizations in Beyond.
Belvedere, we gotta stop meeting like this! ♥️

Thank you for the answer!

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I'm going to just forever wish that the PS Move controllers had analog sticks on them. Neither method of control feels great to me. I love the Move feel, but not the feeling of movement with it. But then the standard PS4 controller feels great to move but clumsy and awkward to aim.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nah, I'm pretty sure what they're complaining about is commonly referred to as "god rays" which are an artifact of the fresnel lenses in high contrast scenes. It exists on the Vive as well but not as bad as the Rift.

Yeah, that's it. I remember seeing it faintly on Vive, but nowhere near as severe as the original Rift.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I'm going to just forever wish that the PS Move controllers had analog sticks on them. Neither method of control feels great to me. I love the Move feel, but not the feeling of movement with it. But then the standard PS4 controller feels great to move but clumsy and awkward to aim.
Hopefully it gets Aim support patched in like BL2.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Pardon my ignorance, but as someone who knows little about these VR sets, what's wrong with that post?
Its a weird outdated fanboy post. The rift s has comparible optics and doesn't even use sensors. The vive wands are widely considered worse than the touch controllers, and "abandoning ship" is an odd way to phrase what is happening

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just played for a bit in VR. It's fun, but you have to accept that significant graphical cut backs were always going to be inevitable. No way around it given the aging OG hardware.

That said, my biggest gripe is with the controls. Hello did the best they could. But, fuck whoever at Sony decided that the Moves didn't need analogue sticks. That stupid decision crippled 3D locomotion for all their games. Teleport is shit and using buttons to turn is shit. Not a problem limited to NMS but so so annoying.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since I've read so much disinformation in a single post. They don't even sell Rifts with sensors anymore, the S has inside out tracking (and it works brilliantly well), while also having a display that by several reviews isn't too far away from the Index, while costing less than a half.
I'm a standard Rift user (with the sensors) which was the perspective I wrote the post from. For me there's 0 path forward without completely starting over. But yeah the Rift (and the Rift S) is a 1 and done purchase.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
  • Added the Launch System Recharger, a starship upgrade that automatically recharges the Launch Thrusters over time.
hnnng

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Gonna have to check later, but are there any sliders for turning speed and more importantly for me, flight stick controls while in VR? I felt like the steering was INCREDIBLY sensitive with the move controllers and I was all over the place. I also had to change my controls from inverted to normal, because apparently "normal" is inverted and "inverted" is normal? I kept pulling the stick back and my ship would go into a nose dive, haha. Finally got it figured out, but it's still incredibly sensitive for flight (for me).

Fair enough I'm just being impatient as i'm stuck at work for a while haha! I'll give it a go and then try PC afterwards then :)

Ultimately I think you'll probably have a better time on PC, but it just depends on how your PC holds up compared to your Pro, haha. Good luck!

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Pyjama, nipples, knees, bollocks. Well I'm sold.
;)

Jumping into this with some friends for the first time this weekend. How does base building work between friends? Is there a host and only their world represented or do somehow both our bases appear in the same world and we can visit each other? Is there any shared progress when I join someones game, or am I just joining their instance?
From what little I've tried, one player is the host and their world is the one you join. If they have set permissions so that others can build together the rest of the teams work on the hosts base will stay there. You could put down a base computer and build your base nearby too with similar settings. In order to see others bases when they are not online they would need to "upload" the finished base from their base computer so that anyone coming across it could visit. You would not be able to modify it while the owner is offline though.
I'm not 100% sure but I think this is the main gist of it.
As for progress I've never tried missions co-op but materials gathered scans completed etc remain yours after you leave.

I'm thinking about jumping back in from a fresh save. How does the X version compare to the Pro? If it's a huge improvement I might double dip and start my new game there.
I would give the X version the edge TBH. Though I will say I haven't played the Pro version much since the Xbox version released, and I've played even less of it on my newer RDR2 pro which is much quieter all round. Also the X allows you to switch to "Performance mode" without having to set the video output to 1080 at a system level which the pro still seems to make you do. Though I would say that the X version is much quieter in terms on online interaction from my experience (not that I search it out in this game), something to bear in mind, I've switched back to PS4 pro for VR and the potential larger community (at least peak EU time).
[edit] thinking about it, would be hard to tell with the new improvements which is better. :/

Last edited:

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Played for over an hour on PS4 Pro VR, and it's pretty incredible. The Move controllers, while making their limitations apparent, surprisingly work great. The visuals look fine, not great but about what I expected. Being able to fly you ship around in VR is probabaly something that will never stop being cool, and being able to lift open the cockpit with you hands is a really nice touch.

Sounds great. I asked a question a while back that I'm still looking for an answer too, as I debate whether I'll officially switch to the Move controllers. I'm at work so I can't try, and I need someone proficient with the Moves to answer:

How difficult is it to perform the little thrust maneuver with the moves? That's the one where you press sprint, melee and rocket pack simultaneously and he does a shoulder thrust that let's you traverse ground and distances much faster. I can imagine this is a little clunky with the Moves but I hope I'm wrong?

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a standard Rift user (with the sensors) which was the perspective I wrote the post from. For me there's 0 path forward without completely starting over. But yeah the Rift (and the Rift S) is a 1 and done purchase.
What's wrong with starting over? These VR devices hold their value so damn well it's hardly an issue to sell your Rift and go from there. The Vive kit is a downgrade from the Rift and Rift S despite the price solely due to the controllers.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It's way blurrier than Skyrim. It's like everything more than 2 feet away is Vaseline to the max.

I haven't played Skyrim in VR but I wonder if the dynamic scaling might give Very different results for different planets, etc depending on how busy the area is.

Doesn't seem as bad as you're describing to me.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I was watching the IGN Nexus Tour and noticed something funny.

If you position your VR controllers juuuust right behind you, you can literally Naruto run in NMS now.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
A bit surprised by the PSVR visual comments. I don't remember any complaints raised in the previews awhile back.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you just start up a new game? Are you on Nicest Major? I don't recall the initial tutorial requiring you to mine copper, you don't even get the land manipulator until you fix your ship and have the ability to go to different planets.

It's actually very intuitive, take some time and try and get used to it before you write it off. This is because all PSVR Move games with free locomotion work that way. If you are like "fuck it," then that means you'll never play a locomotion game with the Moves and you'll lose out on a lot of immersion.

Second planet, which is where you need copper. And I did eventually find some by flying to a different part of it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I haven't played Skyrim in VR but I wonder if the dynamic scaling might give Very different results for different planets, etc depending on how busy the area is.

Doesn't seem as bad as you're describing to me.

That's because it's not as bad as the poster is describing, lol. There's a tinge of hyperbole in those words. It is unquestionably not as bad as Skyrim. It's not worlds better, but it's absolutely not as bad.

The game looks worse in VR, most games do, but it's not unbearably worse.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's wrong with starting over? These VR devices hold their value so damn well it's hardly an issue to sell your Rift and go from there. The Vive kit is a downgrade from the Rift and Rift S despite the price solely due to the controllers.
I'm just not keen on not being able to simply change my headset or controllers. The incompatibility of the Rift sensors -> Index is a real bummer. But that's an issue solely for the original Rift. I honestly forgot the Rift S was a thing. I'm not advertising the Vive here at all lol. I'd tell people to go with the Index since you can scale it better depending on the quality of your rig, that and the best controller in VR...the knuckles are pretty amazing. The Rift Touch controllers are great though.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I hadn't been keeping up to date on the newer VR headsets, but seeing the Rift S makes me really want to get rid of my Rift for it. :(

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
That's because it's not as bad as the poster is describing, lol. There's a tinge of hyperbole in those words.

The game looks worse in VR, most games do, but it's not unbearably worse.

No there is no hyperbole, the resolution is so low, it's definitely worse than Skyrim, it's really really low res and one of the worst looking PSVR games I played so far and I've played hundreds. Looking down from a hill to anything is like looking through milk glass.

The scale is great tho but graphically, it's as low as you can go on PSVR. Name me something worse, I'll wait.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Listen, you wanted immersion with your VR and you got it. Just because Sean forgot to mention that all Travellers canonically have really bad astigmatism doesnt give you the right to complain

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Greg Miller said the game was highly downgraded on PSVR when he played earlier this year.

Downgraded from the non-VR version which is to be expected. As far as PSVR comparisons go in the few impressions I read there wasn't any comments one way or another.

Guess it won't be long and we'll have tons of hands-on and more detailed impressions.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I don't get the Innes bit in the patchnotes. Did he walk walk literal 1400 miles or 1400 miles in-game when translated from in-game units?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Base PS4 is pretty blurry, almost like you forgot your glasses. Really want to see a side by side comparison on Pro to see if it's worth trading up.

That said, the immersion provided by VR makes the graphics dip worthwhile.

Going by the PSVR Subreddit, there is no difference, as the game has zero optimization for the PRO.
I´m hoping for a Pro Patch in the not-too-distant future.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who played every update so far to see how it's coming along what will I find new in this one? I remember one big update added an additional story path that was kinda interesting and NEXT added some ground vehicles, third person and mp.

What features are the real standouts this time? A lot of the smaller stuff I dont really tend to notice. Even the element table redesign I didn't realise was new until a week or two in.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just a slight apology first of all guys. This was my first picture-based OT and I intended it to be completely seamless, only realising just now that spacing is automatically added between images even if there's no line break between the tags in the code.

Aside from the above the remaining notes are:
  • This has not been proof-read or checked for consistency so please excuse errors for the coming week
  • Lamptramp has put in work doing a full summary of the ARG that is a priority for inclusion in the next few days
  • The social buttons are non-functional at the moment while I figure out the above layout issues
All the best and thanks for reading/visiting the new NMS OT.

- Kyuuji

* reserved*
Please, the OT looks great!!
Can't wait to dig into this when I get home

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Doesn't sound intuitive at all (the whole Move scheme itself, not talking about the mapping). I'll stick with the DS4.

How do the PSVR graphics compare to Skyrim. Is it worse or better?
What? Did you play Skyrim VR? The movement system worked fine in that with moves and the game was much worse with a DS4.

Also I'm almost scared to try it when I get home on a base PS4 in VR. I think Skyrim PSVR on a base console looks more than fine so I'm curious as to how this compares.

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
As someone who played every update so far to see how it's coming along what will I find new in this one? I remember one big update added an additional story path that was kinda interesting and NEXT added some ground vehicles, third person and mp.

What features are the real standouts this time? A lot of the smaller stuff I dont really tend to notice. Even the element table redesign I didn't realise was new until a week or two in.
Here are the major changes, followed by patch notes (which are MASSIVE)

www.nomanssky.com

Beyond Update - No Man's Sky

BEYOND: INTRODUCING UPDATE 2.0 Update 2.0, Beyond, massively expands the multiplayer experience introduced in NEXT, takes immersion to a whole new level with fully-fledged Virtual Reality, overhauls base building, NPCs, technology trees, and much, much more. Marking the three year anniversary of...

You can tame, ride, and milk creatures. You can make food. You can play in VR. There is a multiplayer social space called Nexus. Etc.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The fuck is this about? Is all my shit gonna be fucked up when I get home? Do even the basic things (portals, saves, refinery, signal finder, etc.) need to be electrically powered now?

Portals need to be powered, yes. Though only to travel out, not in. The tool tips when creating the reactor advised that advanced reactors don't require fuel, or I suspect will be powered by solar power/batteries etc.
The tier 1 generator I just made was powered by Carbon/Oxygen etc.