• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why would they not give a choice between the cockpit visual changes or just have some ships with the old design and some with the new one?

Chaostar

Oct 27, 2017
The controls for the submarine (using a regular controller in VR) are broken for me since Beyond update. Can't turn, only forward and up movement works. Anyone else having this issue? Am I being dumb and missing something?

Any help appreciated.

Edit: forgot to mention platform, it's PS4.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Here are the major changes, followed by patch notes (which are MASSIVE)

www.nomanssky.com

Beyond Update - No Man's Sky

BEYOND: INTRODUCING UPDATE 2.0 Update 2.0, Beyond, massively expands the multiplayer experience introduced in NEXT, takes immersion to a whole new level with fully-fledged Virtual Reality, overhauls base building, NPCs, technology trees, and much, much more. Marking the three year anniversary of...

You can tame, ride, and milk creatures. You can make food. You can play in VR. There is a multiplayer social space called Nexus. Etc.

Ah thanks! I assume its VR support on all platforms? Might be tempted to break out the Oculus and see how it does. Taming is kinda interesting, but ARK really put me off those sorts of things, still, it might not be quite as demanding lol.

Social space definitely interests me the most. Wonder if that makes grouping up permanently (clans) a possibility. I dont suppose you noticed any performance upgrades? I remember checking out some post NEXT optimisation in an experimental branch before and it seemed quite a lot smoother. Fingers crossed that made it in too

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
/r/PSVR make it sound like there's not been a Pro patch applied at all. I don't have PSVR is that something they would even be able to validate?

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
The controls for the submarine (using a regular controller in VR) are broken for me since Beyond update. Can't turn, only forward and up movement works. Anyone else having this issue? Am I being dumb and missing something?

Any help appreciated.

Edit: forgot to mention platform, it's PS4.
Do L1 and R1 turn you?

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
/r/PSVR make it sound like there's not been a Pro patch applied at all. I don't have PSVR is that something they would even be able to validate?

Getting images/videos of the game running on a PS4 and a Pro and comparing both would be a way. Or Hello Games streight up saying that they look the same and they're working on a Pro patch.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Its amazing how many features are buried in the patch notes at the bottom of their page and arent mentioned at the top with the graphics.

www.nomanssky.com

BEYOND: INTRODUCING UPDATE 2.0 Update 2.0, Beyond, massively expands the multiplayer experience introduced in NEXT, takes immersion to a whole new level with fully-fledged Virtual Reality, overhauls base building, NPCs, technology trees, and much, much more. Marking the three year anniversary of...

Holy shit, these changes.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I have this game on PS4 and I have PSVR... but I also have the Oculus Quest and a PC capable of playing VR games... Streaming Steam VR to the Quest is very easy and clean compared to dragging the PSVR out of storage and playing with the shitty move controllers.

I'm conflicted!

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Ok, so I can take a fair bit of flex in VR when it comes to visuals, especially once I've been playing awhile. So bear that in mind. I started on a brown-orange no-flora planet this time, so it wasn't doing itself any favours to begin with and yes - it looks bad. Anything past a number of meters goes blurry and - because we're trying to look into far off distances - there's really not much that can be said in support of visual fidelity, honestly. Close up is better by comparison but it's definitely behind other games for PSVR (especially on a Pro), though the UI is crisp and have zero issue reading and comprehending it.

Despite all that though, I just ripped the PSVR off my head because I just had to get some of this stuff out before going on. Obviously I'm a fan of No Man's Sky, and a lot of this is speaking to that - and others who've fallen into the game.

I just got to my ship and my jaw hit the flaw. This little snub-nosed beauty we're so familiar with - not so little anymore. Absolutely amazing to walk around it. Like, god damn lol. This 100% familiar ship standing tall over me, fully 3D in front of me. The wings, oh my the wings. I just cannot, cannot wait to see more ships like this. I need to.

That's just what tipped me over the edge to come here though, there's been a few other points like it in my short play so far. I'm about ~45m in and by now, the visuals are whatever to me. When met against the feeling of seeing these plants towering over me, of jetpacking and plucking Sodium from the ground. I just can't care about it - it's still noticeable which is testament to the issue, but it doesn't stop the persistent grin I have had playing.

Seeing how big a Vortex Cube actually is makes me want to see an albumen pearl. The caves that have become such a strong part of NMS's visual flair now all around you, the same familiar lights and particles. The branching path that you can't help but explore. It makes me want to see the slime in the abandoned stations. I can barely contain my excitement thinking about seeing the first Knowledge Stone. I can't even with Atlas. I haven't even been into space yet.

Which I really should do. But I had to share, because I totally get why it's a huge turn-off for many but there's just too much I want to see like this from the game I've long-since loved.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
How are people's experience with playing this with friends. Better to get into a good place before you meet you, or should we start together from the beginning (and in that case can we still play separately when we want to).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

The game literally doesn't start and crashes when you have the super sampling mode activated in the PS4 settings and the VR headset activated. So yeah, zero compatibility.

disgraciau

Oct 27, 2017
Ibiza, Balearic Islands, Spain
Tried it a bit on PS4 in VR mode.

Yup, pretty blurry if you ask me, and it is pretty noticeable the graphics downgrade at the cost of smooth framerate for VR.

But it is still pretty inmersive. Personally, i'm going to wait for the Steam version update. I want to check how much performance has been improved with Vulkan.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who played every update so far to see how it's coming along what will I find new in this one? I remember one big update added an additional story path that was kinda interesting and NEXT added some ground vehicles, third person and mp.

What features are the real standouts this time? A lot of the smaller stuff I dont really tend to notice. Even the element table redesign I didn't realise was new until a week or two in.
-VR
-Nexus with up to 8 players on ps4/32 on PC with additional coop mission and coop-building, basically, Next was like a base 1.0 multiplayer, this is the 2.0 version.
- Lots of quality life update to the base game (Tech tree, electric circuit, npc roam around the planet and do stuff, etc.)

No new Biomes tho.

So it's like 3 updates in one big update.

Stratosphere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here are the major changes, followed by patch notes (which are MASSIVE)

www.nomanssky.com

You can tame, ride, and milk creatures. You can make food. You can play in VR. There is a multiplayer social space called Nexus. Etc.
Sweet baby Jesus....

So are most of ya'lll starting a new save or continuing on?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
So I'm confused, is there any performance improvement for PS4 Pro in the non-VR mode?

I stopped playing because of the performance and instability, and don't want to hop back in if it's going to be more of the same. (4K HDR set, PS4 Pro set to 4K mode so no supersampling here)

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I can't wait for PCVR impressions. I won't get to play until late this afternoon as work so all I can do is read people's impressions til then. If I'm lucky the PC update will drop before I leave for work so I can download it while I work.

Edit: And then I learn windows 10 sleep is not like playstation sleep and it can't download while sleeping. Good grief. So I guess it's wait til I get home and download it and hope it's not too long as I don't want to leave my computer on all day.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Ok, so I can take a fair bit of flex in VR when it comes to visuals, especially once I've been playing awhile. So bear that in mind. I started on a brown-orange no-flora planet this time, so it wasn't doing itself any favours to begin with and yes - it looks bad. Anything past a number of meters goes blurry and - because we're trying to look into far off distances - there's really not much that can be said in support of visual fidelity, honestly. Close up is better by comparison but it's definitely behind other games for PSVR (especially on a Pro), though the UI is crisp and have zero issue reading and comprehending it.

Despite all that though, I just ripped the PSVR off my head because I just had to get some of this stuff out before going on. Obviously I'm a fan of No Man's Sky, and a lot of this is speaking to that - and others who've fallen into the game.

I just got to my ship and my jaw hit the flaw. This little snub-nosed beauty we're so familiar with - not so little anymore. Absolutely amazing to walk around it. Like, god damn lol. This 100% familiar ship standing tall over me, fully 3D in front of me. The wings, oh my the wings. I just cannot, cannot wait to see more ships like this. I need to.

That's just what tipped me over the edge to come here though, there's been a few other points like it in my short play so far. I'm about ~45m in and by now, the visuals are whatever to me. When met against the feeling of seeing these plants towering over me, of jetpacking and plucking Sodium from the ground. I just can't care about it - it's still noticeable which is testament to the issue, but it doesn't stop the persistent grin I have had playing.

Seeing how big a Vortex Cube actually is makes me want to see an albumen pearl. The caves that have become such a strong part of NMS's visual flair now all around you, the same familiar lights and particles. The branching path that you can't help but explore. It makes me want to see the slime in the abandoned stations. I can barely contain my excitement thinking about seeing the first Knowledge Stone. I can't even with Atlas. I haven't even been into space yet.

Which I really should do. But I had to share, because I totally get why it's a huge turn-off for many but there's just too much I want to see like this from the game I've long-since loved.
God fucking dammit. I need VR

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tried it a bit on PS4 in VR mode.

Yup, pretty blurry if you ask me, and it is pretty noticeable the graphics downgrade at the cost of smooth framerate for VR.

But it is still pretty inmersive. Personally, i'm going to wait for the Steam version update. I want to check how much performance has been improved with Vulkan.
The Vulkan stuff has been on experimental branch, it was a rather nice gain for me on an i7 6700k and 980ti.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The new mining beam mechanics are going to take me some time to adjust, lol. I'd gotten so used to that instant reset!

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The new mining beam mechanics are going to take me some time to adjust, lol. I'd gotten so used to that instant reset!
If it pushes you more in the direction of automation or setting up harvesters powered by a base etc it's probably for the best in expanding the loop.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Okay, so I played this game at launch a while ago on PS4. I found the loop incredibly boring. Is the gameplay loop improved? What do you do now that's different compared to launch?

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
If it pushes you more in the direction of automation or setting up harvesters powered by a base etc it's probably for the best in expanding the loop.

This is pretty much the intent, to set up harvesting stations and craft refiners, etc.

It appears the way it now works, instead of resetting, it goes through a full cool down, with the caveat being that the closer you are to max heat, the more damage the mining beam does. So you can kind of "feather it" near the top to get faster mining output.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Love these VR impressions. I knew PSVR would take a visual hit, but I also felt the immersion would more than make up for it. You're not making this wait for me to get home go by any quicker!

Also to those saying this looks worse than Skyrim PSVR, keep in mind there's two Skyrim PSVRs. There's the launch game visuals, and there's post Pro patch visuals. Skyrim PSVR was Pro patched last year. So if your only experience was the Pro patch, you might feel this looks better. But if you're someone who only played the OG Skyrim PSVR, you might hear the people saying Skyrim looks better and thinking they're full of shit. It all depends on the Pro patch vs. the OG version perspective.

I can't speak to this because I'm at work, but I will see for myself and let you guys know the ultimate verdict. Either way, I don't give a shit, I'm rocking this in VR, take's like Kuuji's remind me of why, been dreaming of this day for the longest time!

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not talking about the DS4 itself but if you can aim with the right stick.
Most VR shooters utilize the motion controls for aiming, which means I cannot play them because of my disability.
There was something in the notes for accessibility controller support being added but maybe that's more PC focused.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Not talking about the DS4 itself but if you can aim with the right stick.
Most VR shooters utilize the motion controls for aiming, which means I cannot play them because of my disability.

So do you mean a combination of motion controllers and standard controller, or just a standard controller?

If you play VR w/out move wants, the controls default to the gamepad, so I'm assuming whatever your input device is should work just fine with NMS in VR.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Sweet baby Jesus....

So are most of ya'lll starting a new save or continuing on?

I'm still relatively new in the game, about 10 hours or so. I've seen several people in the thread say they may start over. Why would I start over and not just continue on? Are there particular advantages to starting over with this new patch, particularly for people like myself who are still pretty early?

Or is it just people who are end game who want to start over?

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017

Take your time and enjoy yourself but when you can I'd love more impressions!