• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
There was something in the notes for accessibility controller support being added but maybe that's more PC focused.
Cannot affort PCVR neither do I have space.

So do you mean a combination of motion controllers and standard controller, or just a standard controller?

If you play VR w/out move wants, the controls default to the gamepad, so I'm assuming whatever your input device is should work just fine with NMS in VR.
Just standard. Like aiming with the right stick but looking around with the headset.
I cannot play Firewall for example, because the DualShock is practically moving the gun.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Okay, so I played this game at launch a while ago on PS4. I found the loop incredibly boring. Is the gameplay loop improved? What do you do now that's different compared to launch?

It's not going to be drastically different. It's more streamlined now with more things to aim for, but if you didn't like it before I doubt you're going to enjoy it much more now.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have this game on PS4 and I have PSVR... but I also have the Oculus Quest and a PC capable of playing VR games... Streaming Steam VR to the Quest is very easy and clean compared to dragging the PSVR out of storage and playing with the shitty move controllers.

I'm conflicted!

'I bought the steam version to stream - at the sale price it seems a good option and I've not played for ages on PS4 so would start a new save anyway

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Sweet baby Jesus....

So are most of ya'lll starting a new save or continuing on?
Definitely starting over new but I'm gonna keep my save to go back to at some point. Unless I find that I'm just completely sucked in with the new save, I'd like to have all my stuff back once I've had a chance to experience everything new... I think.

Mar 29, 2018
Okay, so I played this game at launch a while ago on PS4. I found the loop incredibly boring. Is the gameplay loop improved? What do you do now that's different compared to launch?
I disagree with what praxis said. The core loop is pretty different, resources interacting in different ways and with better min/max potential, pathways and cusomisation for ships and suit and weapon. There's a story which asks you to do things and gives you answers. There are side quests which are pretty fun including bounties and travelling between systems. The base building is surprisingly good.

The core loop has been hooked into a bunch of other loops to make a decent chain. The core mechanics aren't drastically different but third person and different overheat/ammo mechanisms improved it a lot.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
They added more loops and fleshed out the ones that were there. Economies are functioning now. Not the dynamic resonator flipping of year 1.

I mean, do you like building and farming games? If you're not into minecraft or Elite then you may as well not bother.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried playing NMS a few times now and I never feel that I ever get anywhere despite spending several hours at it. Still using my crappy default mining laser which is a huge drag.

Current mission is trying to hire a Korvak scientist and the dude is in another star system. Turns out my shitbox of a ship doesn't have a warp drive and now I need to figure out how to grind my way to get one.

Also when I do complete a mission objective, the game instructs me to return to the mission giver to claim my reward. So I get there and the lifeform is nowhere to be seen and I'm unable to complete the mission - stuff like this is pretty discouraging.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still relatively new in the game, about 10 hours or so. I've seen several people in the thread say they may start over. Why would I start over and not just continue on? Are there particular advantages to starting over with this new patch, particularly for people like myself who are still pretty early?

Or is it just people who are end game who want to start over?

65 hour game save here.

For me it's a combo of time away from the game and all the new early-game features.

I wanna take a spin with a clean slate to re-acclimate myself to the systems and also experience the updated tutorials and such.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They added more loops and fleshed out the ones that were there. Economies are functioning now. Not the dynamic resonator flipping of year 1.

I mean, do you like building and farming games? If you're not into minecraft or Elite then you may as well not bother.

I don't mind those games. One of the big issues I had with the game is that I though the game was actually really bad looking and all of the animals and environments looked like rehashes. I know the art style was improved but I'm not sure how significant it is

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Cannot affort PCVR neither do I have space.

Just standard. Like aiming with the right stick but looking around with the headset.
I cannot play Firewall for example, because the DualShock is practically moving the gun.

Hmm...I have no idea. I'll test it out for you tonight if no one else does!

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm gonna download this for my X when I get home from work. It helps that they have it on sale for around $30 on the Xbox shop too.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely gonna start over with this one. I haven't played my save since, idk, Foundation? I wouldn't even remember where I was or what I was doing at this point, plus everything's probably broken/wonky or I missed new things. Excited to try it in VR.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tried playing NMS a few times now and I never feel that I ever get anywhere despite spending several hours at it. Still using my crappy default mining laser which is a huge drag.

Current mission is trying to hire a Korvak scientist and the dude is in another star system. Turns out my shitbox of a ship doesn't have a warp drive and now I need to figure out how to grind my way to get one.

Honestly it just might not be for you. The core loop wont change. You will keep needing various resources for various parts. When you find an incrementally better ship you will need to rebuild it all again and repair each slot one by one.

By design you will always be looking for something else to upgrade something or another.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I am conflicted on which version to buy with the knowledge that while XB1X version may have the edge in terms of resolution, come next gen, and presumably another update to update visuals for PSVR2, PS5 version will be the go to for folks opting for VR on consoles.

Man, these pop-ins in VR are brutal.

Seems like there are going to be multiple patches down the line to fix it.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Two crashes in two minutes, I feel like I've done everything in this game already after 150+ hours or so too.
I have S-Class everything, tons of resources, seen most the planet variety, finished the story and I don't like building.

Kind of sucks I didn't wait for this update before burning myself out...oh well.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I am conflicted on which version to buy with the knowledge that while XB1X version may have the edge in terms of resolution, come next gen, and presumably another update to update visuals for PSVR2, PS5 version will be the go to for folks opting for VR on consoles.

You won't need to wait until PSVR2 for updated visuals. The visuals can be vastly improved simply with the release of PS5 next year. The headset itself is fine for now.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have the game for PS4 but don't have a ps plus sub so I can't play multiplayer which seems like a big deal.

Debating just rebuying on Xbox since I have gold but I don't even know if I'll like the game .

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pop-in seems worse than ever on Pro. Entire bases appearing literally ten feet away. Before I think I used to be able to see them from some distance away when flying toward them, but now it looks like there's nothing there until I'm right next to it.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From someone who has played the game a bunch, does the game look improved visually in terms of art style since launch? I've heard this is the case but have not seen it myself

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any idea how long the opening tutorial is when playing in VR? Not sure if I want to start a new game or pick up from an older save.

Disappointing there is no pro patch. Hopefully they get one soon.

The game did get a Pro patch. It runs at a higher resolution or you can set your system settings to 1080p and get faster frame rates.

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone have any idea how long the opening tutorial is when playing in VR? Not sure if I want to start a new game or pick up from an older save.

The game did get a Pro patch. It runs at a higher resolution or you can set your system settings to 1080p and get faster frame rates.

Think he means no pro patch for VR. As there are reports they look identical. No way to be sure just yet though without direct comparison.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
ioZQEuv.png

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it just might not be for you. The core loop wont change. You will keep needing various resources for various parts. When you find an incrementally better ship you will need to rebuild it all again and repair each slot one by one.

By design you will always be looking for something else to upgrade something or another.

I suspected as much. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
I kinda wish that they just dropped texture resolution and disabled shadows or something just to have more important things in VR given a bump like image quality and render distance. I'd much rather to see far away and have a clearer visuals than half decent textures and shadows.

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone have any tips on how long to follow the main quest for before venturing out and doing what ever you want?

I've built my hyperdrive and can now travel to different systems. I've not really done much besides the awakening quest and learning languages. Am I alright to just go for a wander?

Fastrun

Oct 27, 2017
Downloading the update now. I think I'll do a new save on my Xbox since I only was two hours in before. I may mess with Creative mode first.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Anyone playing on PSVR with a regular PS4?

Perhaps if you take screenshots of stuff we're can easily replicate, such as your spaceship interior, one of the shops in the space station, and spaceship exterior should on a planet...

... we can compare it to the same things but on a PS4 Pro?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
From someone who has played the game a bunch, does the game look improved visually in terms of art style since launch? I've heard this is the case but have not seen it myself

www.nomanssky.com

Beyond Update - No Man's Sky

BEYOND: INTRODUCING UPDATE 2.0 Update 2.0, Beyond, massively expands the multiplayer experience introduced in NEXT, takes immersion to a whole new level with fully-fledged Virtual Reality, overhauls base building, NPCs, technology trees, and much, much more. Marking the three year anniversary of...

Check the official patch-notes page.

There's several pics with sliders showing before & after versions of the same shot.

About 2/3 down under Starship Enhancements has a great cockpit overhaul as well as an nice outside shot of new ship textures.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Think he means no pro patch for VR. As there are reports they look identical. No way to be sure just yet though without direct comparison.

Oh that makes more sense. I guess the only thing they can do is bump the resolution up a bit. The CPU gap isn't large enough to give any big jumps in things like the draw distance.