• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The game did get a Pro patch. It runs at a higher resolution or you can set your system settings to 1080p and get faster frame rates.

Pretty sure they're talking about a Pro VR patch.

Anyone playing on PSVR with a regular PS4?

Perhaps if you take screenshots of stuff we're can easily replicate, such as your spaceship interior, one of the shops in the space station, and spaceship exterior should on a planet...

... we can compare it to the same things but on a PS4 Pro?

At this moment the word from r/psvr is that there is no difference between the versions. Skyrim VR for example didn't get patched for Pro until some time after release.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I disagree with what praxis said. The core loop is pretty different, resources interacting in different ways and with better min/max potential, pathways and cusomisation for ships and suit and weapon. There's a story which asks you to do things and gives you answers. There are side quests which are pretty fun including bounties and travelling between systems. The base building is surprisingly good.

The core loop has been hooked into a bunch of other loops to make a decent chain. The core mechanics aren't drastically different but third person and different overheat/ammo mechanisms improved it a lot.

I'm just going off what some of my friends were saying after the last big update as I enjoyed the game from the start.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is pretty much the intent, to set up harvesting stations and craft refiners, etc.

It appears the way it now works, instead of resetting, it goes through a full cool down, with the caveat being that the closer you are to max heat, the more damage the mining beam does. So you can kind of "feather it" near the top to get faster mining output.
Certainly early game I find it pretty fun to keep it in the top 10% of the gauge while gathering. Keep forgetting it wont immediately cooldown tho ;)
I'm still relatively new in the game, about 10 hours or so. I've seen several people in the thread say they may start over. Why would I start over and not just continue on? Are there particular advantages to starting over with this new patch, particularly for people like myself who are still pretty early?

Or is it just people who are end game who want to start over?
I've always had at least 200 hours to a save when a new update drops, and I always restart. I enjoy the opening hours much more than endgame ones and I like seeing how the new content is integrated with the path from start. Theres always a nice mix of the new and the old as you start again.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
sorry if it's been asked /answered and i missed it but what is the size of the patch for PS4 please?
i want to know if i should put my PS4 in standby.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Anyone playing on PSVR with a regular PS4?

Perhaps if you take screenshots of stuff we're can easily replicate, such as your spaceship interior, one of the shops in the space station, and spaceship exterior should on a planet...

... we can compare it to the same things but on a PS4 Pro?

I was going to take some screenies on both my base and pro for comparison but I'm sick with a chest infection and tonsilitis (and screaming kids in a car-itis) and I'm not sure I can move stuff til and downstairs.. maybe tomorrow ;)

HalStep 11 gig download

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Im trying with the psvr and moves, and its really Wow. But... I dont understand how to exit my ship... Lol

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Oh, man, I just played 10 minutes before I had to go do something else. Thos graphics really took a hit. Currently feeling underwhelmed by VR. Horrendous.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Any One X impressions yet? I'm thinking of picking it up on my Xbox even thought I already have it for my base PS4.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
65 hour game save here.

For me it's a combo of time away from the game and all the new early-game features.

I wanna take a spin with a clean slate to re-acclimate myself to the systems and also experience the updated tutorials and such.
I'm the opposite. Probably have a save a third of that or half of it. Can't be bothered to going back. I quit when the game was getting interesting, it just needed that bit of extra polish. I'll jump back in like nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really lost. I've returned to save from about 6 months ago and I kinda feel like I need to go again from the beginning. I only ever played probably 8-9 hours anyway and I'm really ignorant of all the various systems. Anyone know of a good 'getting started' guide?

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Just started a new game on my x and the Performance is really bad tbh :( (Im on an ice Planet)

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the opposite. Probably have a save a third of that or half of it. Can't be bothered to going back. I quit when the game was getting interesting, it just needed that bit of extra polish. I'll jump back in like nothing.

My problem is that I typically forget where I was at after setting an unfinished game down for a long period. Story, gameplay mechanics, the whole thing.

I find it much easier to just start fresh with a noob-friendly learning curve as well as getting a sense of the updated content from the beginning.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any idea how long the opening tutorial is when playing in VR? Not sure if I want to start a new game or pick up from an older save.

The game did get a Pro patch. It runs at a higher resolution or you can set your system settings to 1080p and get faster frame rates.

Oh I thought I read that in VR it looks the same on both systems.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Certainly early game I find it pretty fun to keep it in the top 10% of the gauge while gathering. Keep forgetting it wont immediately cooldown tho ;)

I've always had at least 200 hours to a save when a new update drops, and I always restart. I enjoy the opening hours much more than endgame ones and I like seeing how the new content is integrated with the path from start. Theres always a nice mix of the new and the old as you start again.
That's a ton of time to just give away to this game though. I mean this game is a lot of loot gathering and what not. Fun for me in bits and pieces, but I sure as heck don't want to be doing anything I already did over again on Survival.
My problem is that I typically forget where I was at after setting an unfinished game down for a long period. Story, gameplay mechanics, the whole thing.

I find it much easier to just start fresh with a noob-friendly learning curve as well as getting a sense of the updated content from the beginning.
I can see that. I just don't have that kind of time to repeat what I just did. My memory is decent, and I will look at a guide if need be. Nothing I was doing was too terribly great to want to do again though. I'm about 25 hours in or whatever and mostly was messing around.

I just jumped back into Dark Souls III a while back after months out. I mean, I just personally don't see the point in doing the same thing over again when it wasn't completed the first time. I might as well read another book or play a different game, but that's just me.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
What? Did you play Skyrim VR? The movement system worked fine in that with moves and the game was much worse with a DS4.

Also I'm almost scared to try it when I get home on a base PS4 in VR. I think Skyrim PSVR on a base console looks more than fine so I'm curious as to how this compares.

That's your opinion and certainly not a fact. I like it much better with the DS4. Much more fluid and responsive.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Have a PS4 and PSVR, but I ended up buying a Rift S to try this. Just bought the Steam version of the game but it's not updated yet. Patiently waiting. Excited to start over.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Going on from the below:
  • A further hour in and, as said, visuals are largely forgotten. Just wearing a murky spacesuit.
  • Spent a minute or two walking around my first flag because they're actually huge lol.
  • Was just bumbling around and shadows suddenly streaked across the ground, I looked up to see the ships fly over. It was a snap reaction and it felt good.
  • Nighttime is lovely
  • Repaired the ship and everything is even more streamlined than with the last update, very straightforward.
  • You know the glowing gold spinning money-diamonds? Yeh it's neat to activate one.
  • Flying around is as fun as you'd expect it to be. It's not Ace Combat 7 but it's home.
  • As I took off I looked to my right and as I rose above the peaks I realised I was on a ringed planet, arching over the horizon. Really good moment and looking around while flying is great, especially when skirting in the pinks of an atmosphere watching the colours of the planets around you change
Belvedere

Ok, so I can take a fair bit of flex in VR when it comes to visuals, especially once I've been playing awhile. So bear that in mind. I started on a brown-orange no-flora planet this time, so it wasn't doing itself any favours to begin with and yes - it looks bad. Anything past a number of meters goes blurry and - because we're trying to look into far off distances - there's really not much that can be said in support of visual fidelity, honestly. Close up is better by comparison but it's definitely behind other games for PSVR (especially on a Pro), though the UI is crisp and have zero issue reading and comprehending it.

Despite all that though, I just ripped the PSVR off my head because I just had to get some of this stuff out before going on. Obviously I'm a fan of No Man's Sky, and a lot of this is speaking to that - and others who've fallen into the game.

I just got to my ship and my jaw hit the flaw. This little snub-nosed beauty we're so familiar with - not so little anymore. Absolutely amazing to walk around it. Like, god damn lol. This 100% familiar ship standing tall over me, fully 3D in front of me. The wings, oh my the wings. I just cannot, cannot wait to see more ships like this. I need to.

That's just what tipped me over the edge to come here though, there's been a few other points like it in my short play so far. I'm about ~45m in and by now, the visuals are whatever to me. When met against the feeling of seeing these plants towering over me, of jetpacking and plucking Sodium from the ground. I just can't care about it - it's still noticeable which is testament to the issue, but it doesn't stop the persistent grin I have had playing.

Seeing how big a Vortex Cube actually is makes me want to see an albumen pearl. The caves that have become such a strong part of NMS's visual flair now all around you, the same familiar lights and particles. The branching path that you can't help but explore. It makes me want to see the slime in the abandoned stations. I can barely contain my excitement thinking about seeing the first Knowledge Stone. I can't even with Atlas. I haven't even been into space yet.

Which I really should do. But I had to share, because I totally get why it's a huge turn-off for many but there's just too much I want to see like this from the game I've long-since loved.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So my initial thoughts on this in PSVR:

1. It's a bit blurry but the scale is still all there.
2. Controls when on foot are pretty good.
3. The joystick when in your ship is too sensitive. Your 9/10 times going to overshoot and undershoot which direction you wanted to go.
4. Being in your ship though is amazing. I love how you exit it.
5. There's a weird glitch where you can't talk to NPCs. You will hold the trigger down and the bar will go to max and nothing happens.
6. There was some framerate issues in my frigate but it was nothing compared to the Nexus. At first the Nexus was fine but once I got up the ramps to the npcs... It dropped to be almost unplayable. Then my game crashed.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does the game run on PS4 Pro? I know that this question necessarily has a variable answer since it's a sandbox game where players can build things, but speaking generally does the framerate hold up?

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to jump in and try VR mode after I'm done with Dragon Quest Builders 2. On a personal note I'm disappointed there are no new trophies with this update, but I was expecting it since they've only added new trophies with one of the major updates.

Im actually pretty fucking irritated they didnt add more trophies.

They added trophies ONCE with the very first "minor" update.

Not a single Major Update has included new trophies. Look at Warframe... new trophies with every update... for a F2p game... but this game i bought on launch day cant bother to add some cool new trophies?

Fuuuuck

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Finally ended up buying this on the One X since it was on sale and the patch just came out. Playing with the higher performance setting right now. About an hour in, enjoying it so far...I know this game has changed vastly from what it once was at launch and I'm impressed.

Flying into the atmosphere of a new planet on my rickety, dinky ship was beautiful and frightening all the same. Definitely getting an isolated, unknown vibe flying through space and when coming across these vast, undiscovered planets.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've already sunk a good two hours in my 250 hour save in VR with the moves. Hoo boy. Base PS4, to start, and despite the visuals obviously taking a hit, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm just as immersed if not more so than when it's crisp. Flying is taking some getting used to, but I just about have the hang of it. Menu navigation has been the real bitch, with button prompts not corresponding to their actions. The anamoly always crashes me, so I stay away. The only other thing happening is that if I try to break Down rocks or plants, the hit sparks have a large black box that appear over it all. It's almost like a black censor bar. It's not ruining my experience at all, and I know it'll get fixed, but it's humorous. Gotta censor our virgin eyes from the mining tool tearing apart the precious rocks and plant life. Going to fire up a new save so I can see all the new shit, and how to incorporate it into my main file now.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I've already sunk a good two hours in my 250 hour save in VR with the moves. Hoo boy. Base PS4, to start, and despite the visuals obviously taking a hit, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm just as immersed if not more so than when it's crisp. Flying is taking some getting used to, but I just about have the hang of it. Menu navigation has been the real bitch, with button prompts not corresponding to their actions. The anamoly always crashes me, so I stay away. The only other thing happening is that if I try to break Down rocks or plants, the hit sparks have a large black box that appear over it all. It's almost like a black censor bar. It's not ruining my experience at all, and I know it'll get fixed, but it's humorous. Gotta censor our virgin eyes from the mining tool tearing apart the precious rocks and plant life. Going to fire up a new save so I can see all the new shit, and how to incorporate it into my main file now.
or move to PC so we can play :P

(hope things have been well, Baron)

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is there a decent story in this game now? I don't care at all about building stuff but I'm a sucker for ancient space mysteries.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I have 2 million credits, a pre order ship and some neat upgrades. If i start a new game can I at least keep my ship? My single atlas pass I have? I'd rather start a new game on another account so I can do the tutorial and remember how to play instead of throwing away my ship and credits.