• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
im just gonna assume there isnt alot of PCVR talk because they are all off having an absolute blast in game.
After taking a look through VR subreddits I wish this were the case. It sounds like there's some serious problems with performance. Like "Fallout 4 VR runs better than this" performance. It could be a setting in-game or SteamVR. I think we need to give people more time to tinker with this stuff to look for a solution but first impressions are negative. Guess we might need a patch or two to resolve it.

Oct 25, 2017
Copper should be visible on the surface. It's a golden shiny area and should be obtained as soon as you use the terrain manipulator on it. Does it appear that way for you?

Doesn't seem to be. I dug a huge cave out right underneath the spot thinking it would be under the surface and I found nothing? If it was there I would have got it by using the TM on the surface right? I'll fly away and try elsewhere.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Need copper to make a tool. But everytime I analyse the ground and find a copper deposit and then dig down with the terrain manipulator I can't find any? What am I doing wrong?

Copper should be a copper coloured (strange :) reflective area around the deposit marker, its not under ground per say, when you use the manipulator you should be using it on the copper and seeing it arrive in your inventory as if you'd mined it.

You can just turn off the Multiplayer? I thought you had to take your PS4 offline to do that but is it in the options now?

God I think I might be coming down with something reading all these impressions, might not... make it through the rest of the work day...!

You can set to invite only, friend only and completely off. Similar settings were in NEXT at launch, though it looks a little more robust now.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My game crashes every 5 minute now. On PS4 slim. :( It's unplayable. Its weird cuz it was going well for the first hours. Reinstalled the game, unplug the console from the wall. Nada.

I hope they patch it soon.
they usually patch the game 1 to 2 days after a big update, so hopefully, before the weekend

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathom ever wanting to play a game in VR on a PSVR system. I get it's a limitation for some people though (without PC's) but god that's gotta suck. Not even in the context of this game. I just don't think it's a good system, like at all.
Yeah, we're all idiots to enjoy PSVR and not joining the master race.

Discord Link

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Also as an FYI and while Kyuuji gets the links sorted the Discord link is below if anyone wants to join. Also feel free to nudge me here for the Xbone club, I find it easy to miss club notifications.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I can't fathom ever wanting to play a game in VR on a PSVR system. I get it's a limitation for some people though (without PC's) but god that's gotta suck. Not even in the context of this game. I just don't think it's a good system, like at all.

How incredibly elitest.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't seem to be. I dug a huge cave out right underneath the spot thinking it would be under the surface and I found nothing? If it was there I would have got it by using the TM on the surface right? I'll fly away and try elsewhere.

I mean you cant really miss copper if you the L3 pulse scan thing, should be a huge yellow grid, outlining all the copper. And yeah a vein starting on the surface, then goes down underground.

Siliconite%20icon.jpg

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Played about half an hour on PSVR. It's really neat, but it gave me a bit of a headache. I'll play it in VR every once in a while but that probably won't be my main way of playing.

Oct 27, 2017
Non-vr runs better than it ever on PC has though the vr mode is a little hitchy. Someone on the oculus subreddit said to lower resolution under settings(this is the mirrored viewport, not your headset resolution). I lowered that to 640x480(from 1080p) and that seemed to help a bit. Also I bumped up textures to Ultra over Enhanced and that cleaned things up nicely. Spent a minute looking at the starter multitool and then shot my self in the face(didn't do anything).

Currently running a RTX 2080 with an old i7 3770. I've got a Ryzen 3900x on the way so it'll be interesting to see if that smooths things out.

Jeseus

Oct 27, 2017
The game is unplayable for me (base PS4). Started new fresh game on normal to see the new beauty. What happened after 15 minutes ? Crash to xmb. I was like "hmm maybe random bug". Another try i am so excited :)) . Load last save, jumping from the spacecraft, walking for 1 minute and boom another crash. WTF Hello games ... this is closed system not PC ... i dont get it.

IsH7PK8.jpg

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Played roughly a half hour and...

-The PS4 Pro 4K setting is running MUCH better than before. At least on my home planet of icy wonders. Even the menus are better!
-Ability to turn off the stupid vignette and scanlines is great.
-Stacking on certain things doesn't go to 10,000 which sucks but that's probably by design (god damn tetra cobalt or whatever it's called).

-The pop-in is insane now, had stuff pop-in while I was within a few feet of it.
-The game's skybox/ground is now flickering occasionally.
-The new generators and them not just giving you at least one fucking sucks. Transporter and the Vaults are tied to this, meaning I'm locked out of my vaults until I got one to work. Except when I made one, the teleporter worked but the vault refused to power up. I don't know what I did wrong.
-All of my special terminals completely disappeared with everyone on them at some point without me noticing. Had to revert back and lost all of my progress.

Looks like I'll wait until they fix most of this stuff which sucks, I just picked this up and was really enjoying what this game turned into.

Last edited:

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
so if a friend and I are both at the beginning of the game, can we just join each other? Does it make a new save? or do one person host, and we use their save?
Do we spawn next to each other?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
How's PC performance holding up? Jumping on in 5 mins.
Overall it's been fine for me on a pretty meh PC, i5-4690 with a 1070 running 1080p at High settings, not Ultra. I am noticing a bit more frame drops randomly than prior to the update, but they're pretty minor overall and only happen for a few seconds here and there.

Jun 1, 2018
yeah its literally unplayable, it wont even start on steam. crashes straight back to desktop. fresh install and all. im not the only one, the steam forums are full of people complaining about the same issue..

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure if the patch was ready to release, atleast on PS4. Once someone else other than you enter the Nexus framerate starts to seriously crap, and then hangs.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ooo this is rather spiffy, hacking a manufacturing facility now gives you an option to:
  • Extract nanites
  • Extract Units
  • Learn new recipe

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Started this and it looked awful. Blacks were clipped to all hell and back and whites were really flat. Restarted and still it looked like that. Then I remembered that I'm on the beta firmware with the HDR adjustment settings and that I'd pushed the sliders to extremes to see if I could force a visual change. I readjusted those and yup, that fixed it. Still testing to find optimal settings but it's a pain in the ass having to restart NMS every time. :/

EvilBoris do you have NMS on the PS4?

What options do you have in game on PS4?
There is just a setting labeled Gamma, same as it was before.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Game kinda has UW support. UI elements don't scale that well and are way too large with a lots of aliasing in text.

nms_2019_08_14_22_23_6uki9.png

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
Played for two hours in VR on PS4 Pro. New game. Left first planet and got to second.

So far no bugs, works really well.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Tutorials are light years ahead of what they were previously.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
so if a friend and I are both at the beginning of the game, can we just join each other? Does it make a new save? or do one person host, and we use their save?
Everyone shares the same universe regardless of if you're together or not. So when you start a new game you get dumped off on a random uninhabited planet in the outskirts that'll be your starting point. But if you're grouped up it'll put you in the host/party leader's starting system.

And you can play separately from there. Your saves are independent of each other. And if you join up and you're in different systems again it'll pull you into whatever system the host is currently in.

Last edited:

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
We're back to uploading our flora/fauna/mineral scans one at a time? That's a disappointing regression, HG. And the lack of a quick button for paging between the flora/fauna/mineral finds is also a glaring oversight.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
What's your specs ? I'd think ultra settings are too high for this game in VR especially on index

i9-7920X at 4.6GHz
RTX 2080 Ti
32GB DDR4

Pretty disappointing although pancake performance is still pretty fucked up tbh, dropping below 60 on some planets with dense foliage.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I think the theory that the game is being rendered 3 times on PCVR is probably correct. I'm not home to try, buy a guy streaming had a 2080ti pinned at 95% and pulled 20-40fps

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
The graphics are def better. I also love that when you walk into a shelter and it is storming, you can actually see the storm.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'd like to know this as well.

When you're joining a friend they host and you would play together on their current planet, keeping whatever you gather. Typically you spawn in space or in a station and you make your way to the host via the marker.
When player 2 logs off and reloads the game later they would be on their own planet. Rather unhelpfully since you mention the beginning Majik13, I'm sorry I don't know how the initial hours would work co-op in terms of progressing the story and quest line. I would rather suspect outside of the specific multiplayer missions solo progression can't be shared, therefore get the opening done solo until you can craft warp cells before pairing up.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I just tried out VR on the Rift S with my RX590.

Most is good, especially the controls. There's two main issues for me currently:

- Performance. I tried to lower some setting but that didn't help, it keeps being stuttery.
- When I turn my head I can briefly see black edges before the view in that direction is rendered.

If those two are fixed, this will be a great VR experience. The first one is more important than the second.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
What options do you have in game on PS4?
There is just a setting labeled Gamma, same as it was before.

Yeah, just Gamma. It's the firmware HDR settings I was playing with and I agree that they don't do anything in other games. Definitely does something in this though.

It's not ideal obviously but here's some captures that still clearly show it's not my imagination.

Baseline:

Now this is with all the sliders pushed to the right:

This is with all the sliders pushed to the left: