• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure about this power wiring stuff...especially when it impacts you this much with things like my portal...

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So I got the ship working and left the first planet, at which point I got a signal I needed to follow.

Engaged the super drive whatever it's called and headed for the planet, but popped out a little early in front of a space station.

Now, I'm not sure this is meant to happen or not, or if it's because I accidentally shot at the space station while I was testing out all the buttons, but I suddenly had about 8 ships swarming me and trying to kill me. I made a run for the planet, got into the atmosphere, but loads more things came and killed me.

Did that only happen because I accidentally shot at the station, and I would've been fine otherwise?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Holy shit, Wiring Looms cost 61k units? I need 5 of these for some of the upgrades I have
There is no other way to get these stuff?

If they are like the pre BEYOND analogue you'd get them breaking down modules, or occasionally as rewards for missions. If you're early game its probably "easier" to knock out some bounty style missions or similar and buy them TBH.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
So I got the ship working and left the first planet, at which point I got a signal I needed to follow.

Engaged the super drive whatever it's called and headed for the planet, but popped out a little early in front of a space station.

Now, I'm not sure this is meant to happen or not, or if it's because I accidentally shot at the space station while I was testing out all the buttons, but I suddenly had about 8 ships swarming me and trying to kill me. I made a run for the planet, got into the atmosphere, but loads more things came and killed me.

Did that only happen because I accidentally shot at the station, and I would've been fine otherwise?

Yeah, that doesn't normally happen
😂

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Seeing the base with other players was pretty cool. Tanked framerate and no NPC interaction seemed possible, but pretty cool. Can't wait to try in VR. I hope the graphical settings are separate in VR and pancake mode right ? I don't want to have to change back and forth everytime I switch...

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Whoaa 24 pages new thread already. The real NMS starts now.

I have to try VR, hopefully it will work with my old DK2.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Anomaly is absolutely broken. Can't even talk to the NPCs there most of the time, the circle just fills up and then nothing happens.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Has this broken controller support on Steam for anyone else?

Pop-in and texture loading are pretty bad on the X. Hard to say if it's worse than pre-patch though. Performance is improved however, both in 4K and performance mode, still can't get a smooth 60fps however.

yep! However I read somewhere that they totally reworked all controls so you'll need to reapply any steam controller settings.
I'm a bit pissed that they changed the scheme for looking around with the Steam Controller, I can no longer drag to look on the right pad.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't played this in a while: What is the Atlas Path about? Unless I missed something it's never introduced, you just suddenly have a mission for it.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Alright, so I got the game and it's fun so far. But: Is there any way to get the space ship to not control like ass? Am I doing something wrong?

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
Is there any way to sprint in VR? I know it might be puketown for some but I feel like the smooth movement is way too slow for me and I just want to run faster!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
holy shit im breaking my fucking head on how to power a fucking lamp

Same!!! I built and fueled a generator and placed a lamp. I put a wire between them and ...nothing! Generator is running and lamp says "insufficient power" and 0 power is being used.
I ran wire on floor all over and that didn't work. I honestly do not understand wtf I'm supposed to do it's maddening.
Oh and the generator devoured my fuel in like 10 minutes lol - powering NOTHING!?!?!
The update has lots of cool stuff in it. "Wiring" system..., bases needing power for everything but not actually working when done...fuel whore generator...these things all suck, make no sense, and actively make the game not fun to play when doing anything with a base.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Done for the day, probably the most time I've spent in VR in awhile. It really sucks you in. I think my favorite spots seen in VR so far was an ice planet and a desolate one. The former just looked gorgeous as far as vistas go, such a feeling of vastness to the terrain elevated greatly through VR.

The desolate planet was incredibly atmospheric, gave me 2001: A Space Odyssey vibes (the lunar base scene in particular). Exploring the caves on this world was legitimately creepy.

Most impressive space vista was coming out of hyperspace to a brilliantly red surfaced ring world with an armada of ships outside its orbit.

If you're on PC VR try and set the terrain tesselation to high or ultra if performance allows, it really enhances the level of immersion and general quality of atmosphere.

Only thing that's bummed me a bit is fauna diversity seems quite low and limited compared to prior updates. Not sure if they changed anything to the procedural algorithm for it on this one but it feels pretty lacking for animal variety. Other than that this is a really fantastic update and once they patch performance more I can see this moving some headsets.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
So, yesterday I played another half hour with the Beyond update.
It didn't change my opinion. But I figured out what I dislike: inventory and resource management. I can only deal with them on very exceptional games.

So I started a new game on Creative Mode and I'm loving No Man's Sky!
I think I might do this for my third start over. I bought at launch and have only gotten a few hours in each time...i think dialling down the survival stuff and focus on exploration will really help me just relax and enjoy it!

I will also wait a little longer for them to patch things, before jumping in on VR.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Anomaly is absolutely broken. Can't even talk to the NPCs there most of the time, the circle just fills up and then nothing happens.
As someone who hasn't played this in a while: What is the Atlas Path about? Unless I missed something it's never introduced, you just suddenly have a mission for it.

Yeah I didnt crash again in the anomaly but was unable to speak to Nada like you Roadhazard. I pulled out the network cable and was able to do so, did what I needed to so then plugged it back in and left.

The atlas path is where you interact and understand what the Atlas is in the game, its the initial "story" mission from vanilla but a more fleshed out.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I didnt crash again in the anomaly but was unable to speak to Nada like you Roadhazard. I pulled out the network cable and was able to do so, did what I needed to so then plugged it back in and left.

The atlas path is where you interact and understand what the Atlas is in the game, its the initial "story" mission from vanilla but a more fleshed out.

Yeah, I remember that mission from the original game, but what's weird is that now it seems it never gets introduced if you start fresh (like I did). There's just a mission for it, you're never told why you want to do this.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Same!!! I built and fueled a generator and placed a lamp. I put a wire between them and ...nothing! Generator is running and lamp says "insufficient power" and 0 power is being used.
I ran wire on floor all over and that didn't work. I honestly do not understand wtf I'm supposed to do it's maddening.
Oh and the generator devoured my fuel in like 10 minutes lol - powering NOTHING!?!?!
The update has lots of cool stuff in it. "Wiring" system..., bases needing power for everything but not actually working when done...fuel whore generator...these things all suck, make no sense, and actively make the game not fun to play when doing anything with a base.

Yeah honestly I'm not a fan of the new power supply system for bases, but I guess it's because I'm in the middle of the grind of it.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

Had this problem first when I tried to connect my portal. The game makes it look like you can put the wire anywhere on the portal, but that's wrong, you have to put it specifically on the green spot at the front, the socket.

There has to be one on the lamp too.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just tried disabling multiplayer, worked! No need to disconnect from the internet completely.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling; Prior Bans for Trolling
reading a NMS thread is always good entertainment, it is more entertaining than the game itself. seems like my prediction of introducing 100 new bugs seems to hold true so far.

and the people hoping for "a patch or two": lets be real, this game will never be completely rockstable, it never was. they just kept on building on a more than shaky foundation. there will be many patches again that do next to nothing, people getting hopes up, putting in another dozens of hours waiting for a change before abandoning the game-the classic NMS cycle

funny how they are making big money every summer with a new free update to drive sales of a technically incompetent software. even funnier are the people putting up with all these problems and acting like it is normal.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
reading a NMS thread is always good entertainment, it is more entertaining than the game itself. seems like my prediction of introducing 100 new bugs seems to hold true so far.

and the people hoping for "a patch or two": lets be real, this game will never be completely rockstable, it never was. they just kept on building on a more than shaky foundation. there will be many patches again that do next to nothing, people getting hopes up, putting in another dozens of hours waiting for a change before abandoning the game-the classic NMS cycle

funny how they are making big money every summer with a new free update to drive sales of a technically incompetent software. even funnier are the people putting up with all these problems and acting like it is normal.

Do you ever post anything positive about any game?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Oh for gods sake Dphex, take a day off :) I swear I never see you ever taking part in a conversation anywhere that isnt complaining or negative.

Plenty of people seem to be having fun and popping into a thread to chortle at how those who are having issues are "entertaining you" is just childish and rude.

Just tried disabling multiplayer, worked! No need to disconnect from the internet completely.

Awesome stuff, saves scrabbling round the back, as it were... (oo-er missus) :P

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

I don't know, they tend to iron performance bugs out after a few patches. They're very communicative about the whole thing too.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

original.gif

You already posted three times here about how much you dislike the game.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you ever post anything positive about any game?
Welcome to the internet where some people like to create a persona and stick with it. I do hope they are not like this all the time.

Anyways bought the game finally last night since it's relatively cheap on Steam and they've been doing a fantastic job supporting the game.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I've just realised I've spent no time on a space station post update til just now, they added ramps to the downstage edge of the mezzanines! Alongside the trade platform ladders this is my best addition :P

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do I get suit upgrades? I can't search for drop pods using the signal booster, do I need to progress further in the story?

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

same here honestly, i just don´t get the appeal of this game...played after every update and the game is exactly the same slog as it was in the original release, they just added stuff on top which leads to an even more tedious experience.
but that´s okay, not every game needs to be for everyone and NMS is definitely not for me :-)
but, to the people who were looking forward to this update: have fun
maybe they also want to replicate the vanilla version feeling, i remember it crashing all the time when doing hyperjumps and sometimes random as well.

Now that you've finally got some attention can you move on?

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How do I get suit upgrades? I can't search for drop pods using the signal booster, do I need to progress further in the story?

Suit upgrades are reliably found in the stations now too, on the left hand mezzanine (as you enter) you pay per slot which steadily increases but its fairly cheap to get the first few general, tech and cargo slots. You can still find drop pods by using drop pod data on the booster but they usually need repairing which can be a faff if you're missing the resources needed.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
right.gif

same here honestly, i just don´t get the appeal of this game...played after every update and the game is exactly the same slog as it was in the original release, they just added stuff on top which leads to an even more tedious experience.

but that´s okay, not every game needs to be for everyone and NMS is definitely not for me :-)

but, to the people who were looking forward to this update: have fun
why are you even playing the game if you dislike it?

ballisticola

Nov 1, 2017
I suggest everyone check their bases. Mine is now at a strange angle. Some of HGs design choices are odd to say the least.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
You've already been answered, but suit upgrades and inventory slots are thankfully much better handled since NEXT.
It's all in the local station, if it's an upgrade you're after you can even just buy modules that will instantly add the suit feature you're looking for. The only catch is that inventory upgrade slots are limited to only 1 per station, they won't sell you more (I guess to encourage you to move to other stations).

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Is this worth playing now? I played it at launch and I liked it for the first 10 hours then got truly bored by its repetitiveness and dropped it never touched it since.

How big is this update and would it be fun now with lots of stuff to do? Is the shooting better too? How is coop?

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
If I carry on progressing through the game, does the need to constantly find sodium and oxygen to refuel my suit slow down? It seems my toxic protection is shocking!

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I managed to sink about 4 hours on this last night on PSVR once I got passed the Super Sampling Black Screen Of Doom. Only meant to have a quick hour or two as had to be up early for work this morning but it's so easy to lose track of time in VR and before I knew it it was 1AM and I had to be up in 4 hours.

I'm loving it so far, sure the graphics aren't great but for the sheer scale and scope of what it is it there has to be sacrifices. I'm really impressed with the Move integration, usually I'm not a fan of using them for movement but in this they felt fine and I prefer them to the DS4 so far. Can't wait to get back on it tonight.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suit upgrades are reliably found in the stations now too, on the left hand mezzanine (as you enter) you pay per slot which steadily increases but its fairly cheap to get the first few general, tech and cargo slots. You can still find drop pods by using drop pod data on the booster but they usually need repairing which can be a faff if you're missing the resources needed.

Yeah, but how do I get drop pod data?

Anyway, thanks for the other tip, didn't know!

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Now that the game's stopped crashing for me (so far), I can see myself playing this game a lot more than the few hours I gave it at launch and with each major update. The improved performance and dramatically increased inventory limit has added a lot.

Also how do you get the launch recharger? I NEED it.